• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Eternal having a "sock paper scissor" sort of style combat may seem weird but seems like an example of the game being aware of its problems and finding ways to fix something and make it work, even if it seems weird.
The games are built in a way where they know they can't replicate the simplicity (with some complexity) classic Doom's have (And in some ways, don't need to) so they focus more on a specific different direction and you get new ups and downs from it.

That D64 developers book makes me wonder about new interesting stuff and it reminded of when one of the devs showed up in a Doomworld thread about unused levels of 64 (I think the download link of them may not work now).
That Hayden design made me wonder if the intention was to make it fit the classic Doom art style, like "what if Adrian Carmack or Gregor Punchatz did a cyber robot thing with a man's brain that turned out to [SPOILERS] back then?".
Kinda reminds me of a custom sprite someone made of a robotic version of an Archvile with Hayden's face in it.
On Steam, Doom Eternal has some new achievements, possibly because of the Ancient Gods DLC coming soon.
Not sure if it was mentioned here but the official Unity ports were updated to support Dehacked, increasing the support for some mods to some degree.
Speaking of cursed stuff, MarphyBlack made a video where he tested Impse dot wad with the ports.
Doomkid also had some videos explaining stuff like what not to do when making a map and some corrections on a video GGGManlives made about the official ports (Because he got a lot of stuff wrong).

Also, here's an unused font for Doom during development: https://twitter.com/romero/status/542957742676512770
Something cool i saw too were these Hideous Destructor addons by DrPySpy https://twitter.com/DrPyspy/status/1301851556803784704 and https://twitter.com/DrPyspy/status/1301853088634994690
There's also the Vinyl release of Quake's soundtrack https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1306279981459308546
Also, voxel Mastermind https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1304682519816597505

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
We’ve went three partner showcases without a Switch port release date. What gives?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We’ve went three partner showcases without a Switch port release date. What gives?

Especially considering that Moon Studios overcame limitations for Will of the Wisps that Panic Button should not be having any trouble with. At least there's still a few months left for Partners this year.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Okay, there's finally an update on the situation...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ill_happening_id_software_says_its_very_close

...and they still don't give out any concrete release date period other than "soon".
It's interesting how Marty mentions that their trying to make the Switch version the "best it can be" (as in, the best version among all?). I wonder if this version will in fact include Nintendo IP-themed collectibles. At this point the longer this game goes unannounced, the more likely it seems (imo) to be tied to a Smash reveal (DOOM Slayer).

Voe

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting how Marty mentions that their trying to make the Switch version the "best it can be" (as in, the best version among all?). I wonder if this version will in fact include Nintendo IP-themed collectibles. At this point the longer this game goes unannounced, the more likely it seems (imo) to be tied to a Smash reveal (DOOM Slayer).
"Nintendo IP-themed collectibles" like a hidden Isabelle figure in one of the levels perhaps?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Not trying to dash your hopes but they said that Panic Button is working on the game from home, which is likely because of the whole COVID thing going on, so I'm pretty sure that's playing a part in why it's taking a while and not because they're waiting until a Smash reveal.

Nintendo IP-themed collectibles would be cool, though.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to dash your hopes but they said that Panic Button is working on the game from home, which is likely because of the whole COVID thing going on, so I'm pretty sure that's playing a part in why it's taking a while and not because they're waiting until a Smash reveal.

Nintendo IP-themed collectibles would be cool, though.
Yeah we know that not every game release means a Smash reveal alongside it is gonna be a thing but with how complete and utter ass 2020 has been, it's good to have some hope even after the Marty Stratton interview from January.

I do want to see a Samus skin in Doom Eternal though. I need it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, they have no reason to hide the release date for so long, when even Ori and the Will of the Wisps got announced sooner. They could have just said "Q4 2020/early 2021" if working from home was such a concern, instead of being unnecessarily vague.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
In any case, they have no reason to hide the release date for so long, when even Ori and the Will of the Wisps got announced sooner. They could have just said "Q4 2020/early 2021" if working from home was such a concern, instead of being unnecessarily vague.
Occam's razor probably points towards some kind of porting issues (especially since Ori was literally available the same day + less graphically intensive than DOOM). I'm going to guess they want a quick simultaneous release from ready port to being gold (and hence would want to wait) or that development has been halted due to some huge issues (unlikely).

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Microsoft has acquired ZeniMax Media, Bethesda Studios parent company.

For now, nothing is changing, but in the future, franchises such as Doom, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout will be exclusive to Xbox and PC.
I'm assuming this means the Switch port of Doom is still a thing like how The Outer Worlds still released on PS4 and Switch after the Obisidian buyout. I hope...

With Smash, any deals Nintendo made for FP2 are still gonna be safe but after Ultimate, yeah...

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, that was an interesting turn of events. Do you think Eternal's devs were intentionally stalling and finding ways to delay the Switch port because they weren't sure if they could release it after the impending buyout? From what I can gather, they still can, but would they have known that before then?

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Independent of Smash/Doom I see this kind of consolidation as a bad thing overall, I don't predict much good will come from this.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, I feel this is like Minecraft in the sense that Microsoft won't care which platforms their games release on from now on. Besides, after Cuphead, the Ori games, and Hellblade, I wouldn't put any stock in Xbox-exclusivity being a common thing with Bethesda. Besides, both Bethesda and Microsoft are on really friendly terms with Nintendo. At most, I'd like to imagine Microsoft encouraging, maybe even flat-out helping Bethesda put platforms on the Switch in the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reminder that a certain mascot pair's games remained on Xbox, yet they still got in Smash anyway. :ultbanjokazooie:

If they were first-party Sony characters, it would be a different story, but it's been established that Microsoft's friendly enough to lend their characters when the conditions are right.
But man, this is wild, the Slayer and MC support bases are on the same boat now. :geno:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think this would've affected the deals too much. It's not even gonna be finished until the summer of next year, and Microsoft wasn't credied for Vault Boy. I don't think this changes much on the DLC now; It's more of what's after that would be impacted.

In the meantime, Green Space Marine Team.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Came as soon as I heard..

I immediately thought, if Doomguy’s not in ULTIMATE, he’ll never be in Smash. :(
Not over MC anyway.
I still can’t believe this... what a horrible piece of news to wake up to. So no more Doom on Nintendo either?😫

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I immediately thought, if Doomguy’s not in ULTIMATE, he’ll never be in Smash. :(
Not over MC anyway.
I still can’t believe this... what a horrible piece of news to wake up to. So no more Doom on Nintendo either?😫
Probably not. I mean, Microsoft's still honoring the PS5 exclusivity with Deathloop and Ghostwire, and if Mojang's anything to go by, ownership's not gonna stop them from being on other platforms. Long of the short of it? Doom on Nintendo is probably fine.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Not over MC anyway.
I mean, they're letting Bethesda make two PS5 exclusives. It was stated that it would be a case-by-case basis after those, so it's probably a Minecraft situation.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman

Not over MC anyway.
This definitely hurts future prospects for Doom and Smash/Nintendo. It's simply the case that being owned by a direct competitor is a more precarious position than just another third party. Microsoft and Nintendo work together fine right now but it's totally possible for either company to take a different attitude in the near future. In general it's a worrying thing to have so many things controlled by a single entity (Windows+Xbox+major game titles), I don't see why some people are celebrating it.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
This definitely hurts future prospects for Doom and Smash/Nintendo. It's simply the case that being owned by a direct competitor is a more precarious position than just another third party. Microsoft and Nintendo work together fine right now but it's totally possible for either company to take a different attitude in the near future. In general it's a worrying thing to have so many things controlled by a single entity (Windows+Xbox+major game titles), I don't see why some people are celebrating it.
Bethesda being forced to play test their games is a positive. Also not everyone celebrating cares about things like Smash.

Some are celebrating for petty reasons. (Console wars garbage)

Others probably just prefer Xbox and don’t really branch out to other consoles/PC and are probably happy at having other options on Xbox.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I mean, it's not like we've heard the other possible bidders for Zenimax were stuff like EA or Activision to consider Microsoft the lesser evil to acquire them (like I think it's happening with Warner Bros?). Time will tell if now their IPs lose their magic or only improve after the fact.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
MS getting DOOM and the rest is likely a good thing. Zenimax was obscenely lazy, utterly incompetent, and greedy. MS is only really one of those things (greedy) and treats their properties with a lot more respect overall. Not to mention they don't release buggy POS games on the regular.

If you still think MS still cares about exclusives then you haven't been paying attention. I seriously doubt anything is going to change when it comes to DOOM and multi-platform availability.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
MS getting DOOM and the rest is likely a good thing. Zenimax was obscenely lazy, utterly incompetent, and greedy. MS is only really one of those things (greedy) and treats their properties with a lot more respect overall. Not to mention they don't release buggy POS games on the regular.

If you still think MS still cares about exclusives then you haven't been paying attention. I seriously doubt anything is going to change when it comes to DOOM and multi-platform availability.
Critics would point out the Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare IP. Microsoft hasn't done anything with these IP.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Critics would point out the Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare IP. Microsoft hasn't done anything with these IP.
That may be changing (B&K in Smash, new Battletoads game). We don't even really know how much of Rare's decline was MS fault, from what it sounds like Nuts and Bolts was Rare's ideas. Either way I'd still say It's better than where zenimax was headed.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
That may be changing (B&K in Smash, new Battletoads game). We don't even really know how much of Rare's decline was MS fault, from what it sounds like Nuts and Bolts was Rare's ideas. Either way I'd still say It's better than where zenimax was headed.
Not sure if this helps, but it should provide context, right?

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
This does kinda hurt Doom for a future smash game in the sense that he now has competition from Master Chief, but we’ll see who gets in this pass first.

Top Bottom