• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
My apoligies for the double post. Is using the C Stick critical to Yoshi success? only a few days ago i found my self practicing the wavedash Forward Smash combination with the C Stick in toe. Should i keep doing that?

CaterpillarCake

Smash Cadet
My apoligies for the double post. Is using the C Stick critical to Yoshi success? only a few days ago i found my self practicing the wavedash Forward Smash combination with the C Stick in toe. Should i keep doing that?
I'm pretty sure using the C Stick is critical to every characters success. It prevents you from losing your double jump on accident doing up ariels, prevents accidental fast falling. While it isn't necessary after a wavedash, I feel its easier. But the wavedash-smashing is really more preference. but as for ariels its a lot more necessary imo.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Hey yall, Along with platforms drop punishes, have yall found any other applications for rappid powershields. Other than punishing horrible smashes or blatant approches I'm having a problem implementing it into my game.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I've found some usage for it. it works really well. I have a question for you guys. Do you think using the stars from Yoshi's Down B
Would be effective in a match. While i do realize that you would have to be really upclose for this and it does seem like a very risky move to use in this form BUT this is the yoshi thread so i wanted to ask fellow yoshi players.

What i'm doing is a quick (single) jump followed by a really quick Down B. It doesn't seem like he moved but i've run into a few situations where those stars protected me a lot more then often. So i just wanted to see.

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
For edgeguarding a character like Falcon the stars can work well. However, I don't see much of a use in the way you mentioned since you're just hitting them back and not getting a follow-up. D-tilt does the same thing but has more knockback, much less lag, and knocks down every character in the game at any percent, often giving you an opportunity to punish a tech/roll.

The video you linked is private and I'm unfortunately unable to see it.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
For edgeguarding a character like Falcon the stars can work well. However, I don't see much of a use in the way you mentioned since you're just hitting them back and not getting a follow-up. D-tilt does the same thing but has more knockback, much less lag, and knocks down every character in the game at any percent, often giving you an opportunity to punish a tech/roll.

The video you linked is private and I'm unfortunately unable to see it.

Sorry about that you can refresh if you'd like to see it.

Best part would be at 0:03

Last edited:

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
Don't you think dtilt would be a better edge guard on Falcon then the stars, anyways? If he doesn't have his second jump it will be a guaranteed KO seeing how his recovery is garbage. The stars' hitbox stay out for a long time but Falcon should be able t recover

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Yes, I do. I was simply stating how D-tilt is an overall better option than the stars.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
As they said in the J!zzard set, uair isn't always the best move after shielddrop. After some practice nair becomes quite easy to do without fearing to do a dair. Really nice sets. :)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I've got a decent writeup for you logan... Good stuff man, and glad to see your yoshi has improved...

Good stuff vs Mofat.. haha, I love fighting link.. so free lol

Ummm most of my stuff i'll be writing you will be vs jizzard... Good games man and glad to see you're getting better.. Hopefully i'll post my writeup tomorow for you.. :) or i'll msg you on FB :p

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I went to a recent tournament, I got 7th out of ~60? Here are some of my recorded games, there might be others coming soon:
vs. Mofat(Link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvL4KHjF538&list=PLKFh2XJy5STivmNwuMUxLXs7Si12_A1cp&index=16
vs. J!zzard(Falco) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBzN61lDsqQ&list=PLKFh2XJy5STivmNwuMUxLXs7Si12_A1cp&index=17

I also had some teams up on that same channel, but I play Fox/Puff.
That Double Power Shield was nuts in the first game against falco

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if you're suggesting shield drop DJ Nair or shield drop nair, but. . .

My problem with shield drop nair is that it doesn't hit people rising up onto the platform (maybe it will if you're frame perfect?)

My problem with shield drop DJ Nair is it can easily be inconsistent. Changing the timing in which you shield drop or DJ after the shield drop both will create changes on the nair and fastfall timing. Because of this, it is often slower than the uair, and can also lead to you rising too high and missing your follow up after the nair, or you cancelling your nair by instantly landing on the platform.

I think rising up with a DJ nair is definitely a good option, but if you're not shield dropping on point (I definitely wasn't), I think it is better overall to get the more lenient uair -> tech chase.

I'd very much appreciate the Falco advice, because that is still one of my problem MUs, and against a player I've struggled with in my local scene. Thanks everybody.

Also, these videos were done while my Yoshi was relatively cold. I've been playing other characters lately to try to break Yoshi habits, so some of my yoshi tech wasn't on point. I'll be focusing on Yoshi soon, I'm sure.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I went to a supposed-to-be-small local last Saturday, which ended up getting 16 teams and 40 singles entrants. It was definitely the best I've ever done in teams. My teammate was Fridgebits, a Luigi main. It's an unusual team, but last time we teamed we almost took a game off of Shroomed + S2J. This time we managed to make it into Loser's Quarter Finals after beating several good teams. In the Quarter Finals set it was down to game 3, last stock on FD with Fridgebits (who was Sheik) against a ranked Falcon player. Both were at high percent, but he got stomped -> kneed at 100% and we barely lost. In the game before that, I was at high percent and won a 1v2 against the Falcon and his Peach partner. It was really hype.

In Singles I got 9th, losing to Alan and a Jigglypuff player named Nima. Last time I played Nima he two stocked me, but this time we got to last game, last stock at high percent. He missed a rest at the end as I was jabbing, and the jab woke him up, which was something I didn't want. He ended up doing a N-air -> Rest (which isn't a true combo; I was not expecting it at all) and closing out the set. The highlight of my Singles run in this tournament though was beating Tang, who I hope you all know by now. I beat his Fox game 1 on Battlefield, then he switch to Marth and 2 stocked me on FD. He stayed Marth when I counterpicked Yoshi's and almost made a 3 stock comeback, but I ended up knocking him offstage and edgeguarding him well enough to win 2-1.

No videos unfortunately, but it was great to compete again after 2 months of being busy with my senior project!

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Odd, I've teamed with a Luigi recently and did alright as well.
This is weird, guys.

And, uhm, I'm makin' a combo vid.

Have a trailer.
(Don't tell anyone how fraudulent these are!)

Oh and VMan or anyone else, what happened with my upair here?
It looks like some sort of invisible ceiling glitch.

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I've been told that invisible ceiling glitches usually involve shields, so you're probably right about it being an invisible ceiling.

If it's possible to do it consistently, I can imagine some 20xx situation where you shield drop > Uair > invisible ceiling > another Uair.

Also: Combo video looks neat, lots of funny mindgame moments!

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I've been told that invisible ceiling glitches usually involve shields, so you're probably right about it being an invisible ceiling.

If it's possible to do it consistently, I can imagine some 20xx situation where you shield drop > Uair > invisible ceiling > another Uair.

Also: Combo video looks neat, lots of funny mindgame moments!
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Ceiling_glitch
With what this says... I guess I just have super slick shield drops!

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So, since the big tournament I went to, I've gone to two South Oregon tourneys, that had most of our good players, but were quite a bit smaller. The first one didn't have any recordings, but I got 3rd (losing to and getting outplaced by #3 and #5 on our current PR), and winning teams. At the last one, which happened last Saturday, I won teams with my Luigi-playing roommate, and lost to Oregon's #3(Fox) and Oregon's #5(a Marth/Falcon). Both were on stream, my match against the Falcon is at 2:00:00, against Fox is at 2:29:40: http://www.twitch.tv/eugene_melee_community/b/509430169. Sorry for the bad commentary, any advice appreciated.

Also worth noting, at the tournament I MMed the Falcon and managed to beat him for the first time, trying some different ideas out. I struck to Yoshis, favoring the smaller stage to help catch him, then I let him CP me to FD to try to juggle him harder, and it actually worked. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
FD is definitely one of the better stages against Falcon, but I prefer platforms.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Winnar (runs a stream called Metagame Monday) recently did a match analysis of aMSa vs Silent Wolf at Apex. Some of it is just explaining Yoshi stuff to people who aren't familiar with the character, but there's lots of good insight into the set as well.

_

How do you guys feel about techchasing with Dair? Recently on Yoshi's Story I grabbed Marth in the middle of the stage and noticed that D-throw puts him just above the top platform. If he techs (or misses his tech) you can land a really mean Dair. I'm not sure how well it works on other characters and on other stages, but it seems like it's worth exploring. Does anyone do this?

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
call me clueless, but what does he use to play it back slower?

dair can be pretty good if you know they will miss the tech (intercepting their aerial+lcancel for example), I've never tried it on top platform though, upair+eggs seems easier to follow techs on reaction

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I think it's called VLC or something, not sure. Some computer program I guess.

The thing that I've noticed about the Dair techchase on the top platform is that I can adjust my trajectory in the air to follow their tech, so it tends to work for me when I try it. Of course, Uair/Eggs work just as well like you said.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I have definitely seen aMSa edgecancel Dair into DJC Uair (I think it was vs Westballz but I could be wrong there - it was in one of the Apex Salty Suite matches).

EDIT: Unless you meant easy for the opponent to edge cancel, in which case that is an unfortunate downside to Dair. :(

Last edited:

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've done that too. It works with DJC-nair as well. If you know your edgecancel well you can stay on the platform and do upsmash or turnaround dsmash, but that is really hard. Dair is a really tricky move.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I'd rather uair or nair if my opponents on the top platform if I can't get tons of damage off of the dair guaranteed. Safer, and will have waaay better positioning after.

Got 4th at a recent tourney, right outside of the money :c I lost to the guys who got second and first, though, so that's good I guess.
I got a few matches recorded, and have been going a lot more Fox. Fox is so much easier, but I'm still co maining him with Yoshi because I love Yoshi and will beat a lot of good players who will know the Fox MU too well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUqgKVKJMYs vs Doc
the Doc player is a friend of mine and stuff, and I'm starting to get a pretty good hang of the MU. I do pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18jpJx-g0k vs Falco
Last time I played this guy my Yoshi won convincingly, then suddenly I played him again and he does... this to my little pink friend. It's pretty bad, so I switch to Fox. I do a pretty cool come back game 2, then beat him game 3. I fell out of my chair after the set 'cause it was super tense, I was so confused as to how he knew what to do against my Yoshi.

Turns out he played against Wobbles' Yoshi for a few hours recently, and he said that my Yoshi was doing better than Wobbles'... :dizzy:
So that would explain that, but I want to go train with him some time so I can learn the fast aggressive Falco MU super well.

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Wobbles has a yoshi!?!?!

haha epic!

Good job man, lookin forwrd to watching :)
Yeah he picked him up after playing friendlies with aMSa. He likes his aerial mobility and combo game stuffs. He beats me in dittos but apparently I'm better than him in non ditto match ups for now XD

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
I can see you struggling a bit against that Falco. The Falco matchup is the one that changes the most when you start to parry consistently. Suddenly they have something to fear!
Your movement is smooth and you know the heights of DJC really well. Thumbs up!

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I can see you struggling a bit against that Falco. The Falco matchup is the one that changes the most when you start to parry consistently. Suddenly they have something to fear!
Your movement is smooth and you know the heights of DJC really well. Thumbs up!
Yeah I'm really intimidated by parrying. My friends (who don't even play Yoshi) make fun of me cause they can do it better than I can. I do really well without it, but I guess I'm reaching a point where I just gotta do it. Urrghhh workkk

Sashimi

Smash Ace
My city had our first monthly last weekend. I got 9th out of 40 entrants. Unfortunately, nothing was recorded, but there should be at least one recording setup next time so I may have some videos.

_

Would it be worth posting some frame data/other information on Yoshi in a new thread here? I've been spending a lot of time in the debug menu and I have a bit of info. It's mostly frame windows for things like ledge stalls and things related to Yoshi's double-jump (for example the difference between retreating and reverse DJC). I also have the tumble %s for lots of moves. I'd like to share it for anyone who wants to know, but I won't post it if you guys think it's unnecessary info.

Top Bottom