• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask VMan about Yoshi Thread (A General Yoshi Discussion)

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I never jab-> F-smash on shields, but I'm going to try that. Awesome mixup. . . Also, parrying during shield pressure is pretty sick, I should try to implement that. . . Jab -> parry U-smash sounds like some coverage. . .

leffen

Smash Champion
fsmash is safe on shield too

and when you're starting out, djc nair->parry->continue to hold shield->grab is the easiest to start out with, since you don't have to time your jump to get a high amount of frames of active parrying.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I've tried to implement F-smash on shield since you posted on here that it is safe, and I like it. Especially against ICs.

How is that different from DJC N-air -> shieldgrabbing? Since Yoshi doesn't ever have shieldstun, and you're not going to jump for the parry, wouldn't parry -> shield grab be the same? If you don't hit the hard shield for the parry, I know you can't reflect projectiles, but do you need to hard shield (parry) to avoid grabs in that first 6 frames?

Edit: I think the above post is the first time Leffen's tried to help me. <3

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Jab, Fsmash is indeed very useful, and rather safe/underrated on shields... (shield stabs alot too) :) What I think you should also try to get used to is to adjust yourself to get used to parrying.. each/every time you jump.. it's helped me alot also.. :)... At higher % a shield pressure I've begun to like is DJCNair (two to three, depending on position) to Yoshi bomb (down+B.) Suprisingly good mixup, that hits the back of the shield, while the nairs hit the front of the shield.. ^^

Of course it isn't guaranteed, but the results may surprise even you... :) In my experience it's worked rather well, if my opponent blocked.. I'd usually get shieldstab... if no block, then of course a hit, or a roll/dodge, depending on char, would also hit.. (even if the move misses) MOST <emphasis> players won't react quick enough to make a retaliating play, and even if they do.. if they misjudge/mistime, overcommit.. those two lil annoying stars come out on each end... :p (again I'm not saying it's unstoppable.. haha) just can get you a surprising kill.... (I haven't really seen any Yoshi players use Down+B, as a "reliable" kill move when it has it's setups... but I won't make a claim like Leffen does that NOONE does, cuz well that's stupid.)

Congrats on your tourney Leffen with Yoshi etc... though I disagree with your thoughts of me as Yoshi (Official 2010 MBR thread) everyone is indeed entitled to an opinion...:) Hope you prove more with Yoshi, cuz it'd be nice to see... ^^

-PurpleTuce, you're a lil cute in that thread too (Tier list thread) but again everyone has an opinion... regardless of what "either" of you think..

1. I'm a pretty good overall player (not better than Leffen obviously)
2. I'm the ONLY "recognized" Yoshi player that goes to MAJOR tournaments that ACTUALLY plays as Yoshi in pools/bracket/whichever. NOTE: (this is NOT to be confused/mixed with, there are NO good Yoshi players...Example: See Leffen, myself, Angel, Moo, Fumi, Bloshi, Eggm, etc.. or any of the past/future Yoshi's (such as yourself, and hopefully others that will come into play also.) This isn't implying there are no good Yoshis, (I'm not as cold/blunt/doubtful as Leffen is) but rather... no other player(s) besides myself go to MAJOR tourneys and represent him... I have faith in our Yoshi players... Leffen believes he's the only one good enough (and he's not wrong for that, nor am I claiming/calling him out on it) Again, everyone has an opinion, and I WILL respect Leffen's opinion.

3. Currently, I am in the "now" phase... because of Rule #2, and the combination of rule #1, that brings a good overall player combined with the only representative of Yoshi that attends nationals... "Hey I happen to fall into that category" It's similar to Fumi, and him... back then, Fumi was the premier Yoshi, sure he lacked MAJOR results... but who else was trying? He in a sense got that by default.. (Not implying Fumi isn't good, I love Fumi, this is just an example...

4. Leffen plays Yoshi in PAL, I play Yoshi in NTSC... there are NOTABLE differences. The community will see Leffen as the "premier Yoshi" in PAL, and me as the premier Yoshi in NTSC... (even if Leffen were to be the best Yoshi, he'd have major hits on him that the community would sadly use against him... Yoshi is better in PAL than NTSC, so of course he has the best Yoshi... Vman/Angel, USA Yoshi's can't play PAL, they play NTSC where Yoshi isn't as good etc" (these are just simple examples) and even though the facts above are true (regarding PAL/NTSC differences) I don't feel it's fair to me, nor him for that to be used as justification... (this is also another reason why the "best Yoshi debate" will likely last) Until I play PAL at a high level tourney over there, or until Leffen comes here, and basically does well with NTSC Yoshi, at one of our tourneys..this can go on for a good while.. (not to mention of course, there's bias... bias everywhere, regarding player preference/style.. too many things to name.) Leffen and myself are competetive..he would NEVER admit (even if they were) that another player would be better with a character than he was... and that's the same for me... i.e. If an interviewer asked Kobe Bryant, who the best basketball player in the game today is.. what would Kobe say? He wouldn't say Lebron, or Durant, or Wade, or Paul, etc.. he'd say I'M THE BEST" (random note: IMO Kobe is STILL the best in the game today) Leffen isn't the type to admit someone else was better, and neither would I... Again, this is a simple nature of being competetive.. there is nothing wrong with this mindset.

5. Tournament performance... Again, Rule #1, 2, and 3 fall in this category... Leffen has his tourneys, and I have mine... At Apex2013, I finished a rather disapointing 65th, Apex2012 didn't make bracket and P5, at 33rd... they have similarities.. though Apex was a worse finish for me, it's the most recent. There wasn't another Yoshi that made bracket (NO LEFFEN I'M NOT JUSTIFYING OH I MADE BRACKET with Yoshi, go me etc... so you can remove that from your posts, I'm simply stating how the Community will see as Yoshi representation... This same rule applies for Pound V. Again, National appearance, overall good player, only representation of said char...

6. Funny/dumb as this may sound... I have combo videos, and I happen to make combo videos that people like/appreciate.. (even you Leffen, told me you liked Eggstinction II) could you have said that just to make me feel good?) Of course, but again the last Yoshi combo video that's NOT eggstinction is??? This is also similar to "marketing" a character.. though it's not tournament performance, it's showcasing character "potential" "combos" etc... Axe Effect happened to be good.. Oh hey, Axe happens to be good.. ShadowClaw IV, yep Taj also happens to be good.... Sure I'm not as good as either of them, but my time will come soon enough...Noone believed me (yes you didn't either Leffen, funny cuz now Axe is amongst your favorite high level player? I bet Axe feels ackward about that) when I claimed Axe will be as good as he is now...and certain players he's better than, same with Taj... People forget I even taught Axe many things to get him to where he is... and again, it's fine...I'm not attempting to justify my logic... it's just an example.

Anyway, this is mainly to answer your "why is Vman the first name/only name people think of when they think Yoshi, and a player that represents him? You actually said something like, "people need to stop thinking of Vman as the only Yoshi representation or something like that.. (MBR thread) Again, this isn't a "shot" at you... just it's honestly a stupid question/statement... when nobody else has given the community reason besides Leffen/Angel for the community to think otherwise... the drawbacks of those are.. Leffen is a High/Top level player that doesn't play yoshi often.. however with Leffen being as good as he is, people will listen to him, and they rightfully should, as his knowledge is grand. Angel, is basically the Yoshi not many as heard of, and since he cannot make it to nationals, he's classified under the Yoshi's as ALL of the other Yoshi's that the community will classify you/others under...Again.. rules #1, 2, 3, come into play...

TLDR? Give them a reason to think otherwise, as you said to Leffen in that thread also... "Talk won't get you anywhere? Do something about it. Prove it. Give them a reason to think otherwise..Again, this isn't a "shot at you" i'm bluntly giving you the obvious answer I thought everyone had already known.. but it seems i'm the only one that understands this common understanding...

Leffen, and you can both discriminate me all you want, I will continue to do what I do... and again I'm trying to be active here ALOT more often... even now, I'm on my xbox...I'll try to give alot more input then I have in the past also... I'll always help regardless of how I'm treated.. it's something i've come to accept now... and I'm fine with it... I will ALWAYS respect Leffen, and you.. because I respect you guys.. I even think Leffen thinks I hate him, when in a sense, he's one of few I honestly look up to :) ... but again, he most likely doesn't care about me... nor will acknowledge that I respect him, and that again INDEED is his choice... and I will respect that...

Yes, again Leffen has acknowledged posts in the past before also... whether in a blunt/nice way.. he has provided input...He has given the Yoshi players info.. perhaps not YOU personally, but to players as a whole... he has.. The way you receieved it perhaps may have been different...

Long post over..

NOTE: No i'm not upset anyone, so don't think I am... yall should know I'm too understanding/nice for that.. I simply wanna help/contribute in anyway that I can... <3 yall regardless of how you all feel bout me.. :p

-Vman-

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm personally hoping Yoshi's so good in the next game that he's banned.

Then people won't have to deal with either side of this.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
why are you all such a bunch of drama queens damn

what was even the purpose of that post vman, just seems like a mad man rambling over nothing

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
I liked vmans post. He writes very reasonably and calmly. If you think it sounds like a madman you aren't actually reading it and just discounting it because its long.

:phone:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Well, this thread was being productive for a while, and now it is gone.

Leffen was definitely right about something in the tier thread, Yoshi is held back because people have limited resources with him. If we all tried to develop the character, we would be a lot better off. Unfortunately, I'm still learning, and I feel like I don't really have the ability to make anyone develop yoshi. All I know is I enjoy playing him and want to see him developed more, hopefully some people agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_dqJC8ke7tk#t=2150s
Me against a Fox, he is ranked 9th in state. This is a local tourney. I wasn't playing too well, I played other characters a lot before this. Just wasn't feeling Yoshi. . . If you rewind the clip you can see me playing very poorly. Any advice appriciated.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Purpletuce, here's my critique:

You have a pretty good grasp at covering tech options and punishing. However, your grab game is non-existent, which really hurts your punishment options and essentially provides no consequence for your opponent when he/she shields.

You also need to be more mobile and quicker. It's nice to wait and react to your opponent every now and then, but you seem to do it a little too much. You should be wavelanding on platforms, dashdancing, and wavedashing around more (but purposefully).

I also noticed that you share a habit I picked up from my Smash 64 playstyle: jumping too often. Implementing a dashdance and grab game should significantly patch this up, so work on those first. I also notice you chasing Fox and approaching with N-air quite a bit, so cut down on that and definitely work on not chasing Fox players.

That's about it for now. I feel that you can be a very good Yoshi player if you work on your flaws and take those suggestions into account. Good job so far!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Well, this thread was being productive for a while, and now it is gone.

Leffen was definitely right about something in the tier thread, Yoshi is held back because people have limited resources with him. If we all tried to develop the character, we would be a lot better off. Unfortunately, I'm still learning, and I feel like I don't really have the ability to make anyone develop yoshi. All I know is I enjoy playing him and want to see him developed more, hopefully some people agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_dqJC8ke7tk#t=2150s
Me against a Fox, he is ranked 9th in state. This is a local tourney. I wasn't playing too well, I played other characters a lot before this. Just wasn't feeling Yoshi. . . If you rewind the clip you can see me playing very poorly. Any advice appriciated.
Just watched your set(s) purple. On many things I will agree with Kimi.. I felt you didn't use the mobility of the platforms enough.. Yoshi with platforms is grand... It also seems your shielddropping isn't all there yet either, yet it's vastly improved from the last set I watched... Im mainly gonna give you advise vs the Fox, as I want to with Falco also, but it just seems you're not as developed vs Falco as you are vs Fox..

when Fox grabs Yoshi at those low percents, and Uthrow>Uairs those SHOULDN'T BE CONNECTING at all.. Yoshi can simply untumble jump away before the Uair connects... even with No DI, or DI, Uthrow, Uair should not be connecting at all... At higher percents, it gets a bit trickier but even then, Yoshi, DJ should at least nullify the first attempt (as would smash DI) but you get what I mean...

^on the same Note, when you are airborne and fox is below you when you don't have your jump, (PLEASE do not use your Yoshi bomb (Down+B) on the highest platform on the stage!) You are basically giving the fox a free Uair, and you did this twice in that same match.. ><; Any good fox player will exploit this... If you're stuck without a jump, above fox, you need to trust your aerial mobility, and timing to either, Smash DI, Bair, simply Nair, Dair (if you're positive the move will come out) or even Eggroll airborn to get away, as long as your egg touches the stage, you'll at least get your jump back that way, if you get hit during the eggroll, then at least you're going to the side and you'll better reposition yourself, without Foxes Uair to fear, granted this happened during mid% so this^ doesnt always apply... (also when you do have a jump, Don't use your jump and fall with a Nair so high above the stage, it's not that safe, luckily you got away with it many times, but it's not safe... (I used to do that alot too, till I found better options) You can either jump away and reposition your approach, or at least do it lower to the stage.

Nice platform cancel Uairs.. :) (wish I could do those, I get like 1 out of idk every 50 shielddrops) Looks pretty cool, and the potential it has, I mean I know it's good.. just I don't ever think I'll get it, I'd rather be 100% with shielddrops. (I think I told you this) n n;

Again, you do seem to lack/trust Yoshi's grab game.. I understand, you're reasoning, (I was the same) but Yoshi's grab game is very good vs Fastfallers... Try to get a better grasp of the situation you have.. Example, I saw a few Utilts connect in your matches vs Fox, the fox either teched in place or away.. in place is another (insert move with knockback) and away is a free grab.. in place you attempted the double Jab, and you'd always get punished for it by CC.

You may have more success with Jab-Ftilt, most cases this will at least knock Fox back far enough to where you can't get Shieldgrabbed, (doesn't exactly mean it's 100% safe) just another option you can explore.. :)

I understand if you were playing bad, but playing good or playing bad... that's WAY too many dash attacks at low% You actually didn'get punished as much as you should've... I understand if you were playing badly though.. Just try to not use dash attack That much at those low percents...

When at the back of Fox's/Falco's shield why don't you attempt DJCNair/Uair shield pressure? Actually why don't you use DJCNair much at all? DJCNair-Dtilt/Ftilt/Fsmash (heck Fsmash can be used in front of the shield with DJCNair shield pressure to whiff shield grabs) Shoot for Lulz DJCNair to Egglay even works (I've been using this one more lately) and ofc DJC-Parry/grab)

I saw many Fair approaches... Fair is a great move with Yoshi, but only if you can fully utilize it.. Many of your Fairs didn't even have a hitbox (I suppose this is also you playing badly) so I can understand.. just try and get that resolved, and polish that.. ^^;

Lastly, you landed alot of smash attacks at rather low percents, and the attacks had knockback, this tells me during these times your opponent wasn't CCing... When this comes into play, trying using your Ftilt ALOT more.. Ftilt is arguably Yoshi's most underrated/underappreciated move, and has DEEP combo potential... Just use your imagination, and what combos you could pull off, rather than settling for one hit... (Again, the smash is guaranteed damage, but the followups you can get from Ftilt, will lead to higher %)

Just my two cents.. :)

Hope this helps... and keep up the good work...

or I'll let my critique get criticized. whichever entertains you all...
^^

<3

Bones0

Smash Legend
Are there any Yoshi vs. Marth vids besides the two Leffen vs. Fuzzyness friendlies? I figured there'd be a bunch of Vman vs. AZ Marths (Axe, Tai, Taj), but I can't find any. :c

I wanna help expand on this character. I can already DJC aerials, shield drop, and powershield/parry well, so once I get some fundamentals I should be sick nasty. :cool:

Beat!

Smash Master
Are there any Yoshi vs. Marth vids besides the two Leffen vs. Fuzzyness friendlies? I figured there'd be a bunch of Vman vs. AZ Marths (Axe, Tai, Taj), but I can't find any. :c
I played against leffen at a small smashfest-tourney last weekend. Might get uploaded in a couple of days (the set was recorded at least). He beat me pretty damn convincingly. I did a little better in friendlies later on (they were recorded as well) after figuring out a couple of things, but he possibly/probably didn't take those matches as seriously due to them being friendlies. Still, should be fun to watch if you want Yoshi vs. Marth material.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try to improve on the things you mentioned. . . It is painfully obvious I was dash attacking, rolling around and dsmashing too much. . . The things you all mentioned are definitely things I'll try to work on. Although I did use DownB to get down after I lost my jump, I thought it would be worth it to give the fox a free U-air in excahnge for having my jump back. . . Although I do use sideB occasionally as a mixup, coming down with N-air our D-air sounds like a horrible idea, since Fox can just B-air and probably get a kill on me. . .

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
V3ctorman, just a question: did you get your name from the Genesis game titled "Vectorman"?

Bones0

Smash Legend
There's also this and there might've been another one, but I can't find it right now.
Thanks.

I played against leffen at a small smashfest-tourney last weekend. Might get uploaded in a couple of days (the set was recorded at least). He beat me pretty damn convincingly. I did a little better in friendlies later on (they were recorded as well) after figuring out a couple of things, but he possibly/probably didn't take those matches as seriously due to them being friendlies. Still, should be fun to watch if you want Yoshi vs. Marth material.
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Are there any tricks to DJCing uairs? I feel like I can't get them out as fast as I want to in order to combo. I have no problem with my nairs, so idk what it could be. Am I correct in my understanding that FHing into the DJC is faster than SHing into it?

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter if you input full hop or short hop, as long as you do the double jump at the right time. I always naturally short hop because I need to press X quickly for a good DJC aerial.

For not getting them out as fast as you want: you have to get used to timing it right. N-air comes out 2 frames faster than U-air (didn't realize U-air was THAT fast until I looked right now) so the difference is probably messing you up. Also, Yoshi's double jump goes lower than every other DJC character's double jump, so you just have to wait a bit before using the attack. Mastering that alone will improve your combo and aerial game significantly. At first it seems like you won't catch opponents with U-air and ruin the combo, but as you practice more and more you realize that you can hit opponents way sooner and lower than you originally thought (Ex. some of Leffen's U-air chains after jab resets/grabs).

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
V3ctorman, just a question: did you get your name from the Genesis game titled "Vectorman"?
haha, Indeed I did.. ^^;

It was my first EVER video game, I've ever played... When I was younger I want Sonic along with a SEGA genesis console for my bday... I got the SEGA console, but I didn't get Sonic.. I got Vectorman... I was really sad at first, but then the game GREW ON ME.. and grew very quickly.. I'm very good at it, and am pretty good at the game for speed runs (though I can't beat the record) but Im rather close... :)

the "3" in Vectorman in my GT.. 3 is my favorite number/lucky number...so I combined the two.. :) uhhh yeah! :p

Oooooooooooooh Yeah.. EEEEEEVOOOOOO Hype... I'm a rep that yoshi baby.. all day!

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I just figured you were a huge math nerd. There's a Yoshi main at my college who's ridiculously good at math.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It doesn't matter if you input full hop or short hop, as long as you do the double jump at the right time. I always naturally short hop because I need to press X quickly for a good DJC aerial.

For not getting them out as fast as you want: you have to get used to timing it right. N-air comes out 2 frames faster than U-air (didn't realize U-air was THAT fast until I looked right now) so the difference is probably messing you up. Also, Yoshi's double jump goes lower than every other DJC character's double jump, so you just have to wait a bit before using the attack. Mastering that alone will improve your combo and aerial game significantly. At first it seems like you won't catch opponents with U-air and ruin the combo, but as you practice more and more you realize that you can hit opponents way sooner and lower than you originally thought (Ex. some of Leffen's U-air chains after jab resets/grabs).
Are you sure FHing isn't better? I feel like it reaches the appropriate DJC height sooner than SH. I guess I will just mess around with the timings of the uair to see if I'm doing it too soon. It always seems like Leffen and Vman uair immediately. x_x

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Even if you do SH, most U-air combos should be linkable through conventional means.
Do you perform the Uairs using the analog stick or C-stick?

hamyojo

Smash Ace
What's the current view as side b egg roll thing as an attack? It sets up for combos and can work similarly for combos, despite it's seemingly infinite start up and ending.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
U-airing with Up + A is faster, but sometimes you might want to U-air with X/Y + A so you can keep your horizontal momentum. I used to U-air with the C-Stick but realized that it's slower because my finger was already next to X so I can just press A instead of moving it all the way down. Just something to keep in mind.

Are you sure FHing isn't better? I feel like it reaches the appropriate DJC height sooner than SH. I guess I will just mess around with the timings of the uair to see if I'm doing it too soon. It always seems like Leffen and Vman uair immediately. x_x
All I know is you need to be airborne for 2 frames (to reach a certain height) before your N-air comes out ASAP, which means you have to be airborne for 4 frames to get your U-air out as fast as possible. I don't think a SH would prevent it from working then, but you can always test.

What's the current view as side b egg roll thing as an attack? It sets up for combos and can work similarly for combos, despite it's seemingly infinite start up and ending.
To be honest, it's pretty terrible as an attack. It has a very small hitbox, lacks one in the air, and pretty much everything breaks it. It's also the only move that puts Yoshi in helplessness mode. It's good from the ledge as a mixup for recovery, but other than that it has little use. Also, it can't really combo into anything unless it knocks a very high % opponent in the direction you're rolling and you break out of the egg and U-air. Even in that case I'm not sure if it'll combo. The funny thing is the move is momentum based and gains/loses speed going up and down sloped surfaces, but there are very few stages that have such slopes and the ones that do are banned in our ruleset.

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
So much drama haha, both vman and leffen are absolutely legit, just vman mains yoshi so he is the "premiere" yoshi player whatever that entails. Why does seem leffen so salty? he should have nothing to prove, he is IMO top 10 in the world

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
@Bones, Hmm you should be fine with that (I'm assuming you DJing with up and then immediately pressing).
Like Kimi said, overtime yoshi's Uair will seem to hit sooner and lower. As to how Leffen and VMan Uair immediately, perhaps one of them can shed some light.

Hamyojo, i believe side B is still generally thought of as practically useless, offensively. It has some weird behavior when executing it and bouncing on platforms, can be used as a quick evasion technique midair, and it can also be used as another option for getting from the ledge back onto the stage.

kimi got it

Perhaps it could be used as an interesting techchase option on platforms?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I double tap Y, but it's not the actual execution messing me up (I've been DJCing with Ness for years). I'm just doing the timing wrong because I'm trying to do really low and fast uairs. I can do them really low, but I'd have to wait longer to do the DJC, or I can wait until I'm higher of the ground, and the uair sooner. I feel like Yoshi's landing detection during uair makes him land sooner than if you nair.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I can't remember the numbers exactly, but I think Yoshi has the slowest DJC timing out of the characters who can.

You also have to remember that Yoshi's DJC actually dips him closer to the ground, making the timing for the DJC seem delayed. I used to get in trouble in tournament sets against certain characters because I would catch a juicy up tilt or something and try to get a DJC combo going, but I would revert back to my Peach timing for DJCs out of habit and drop the combo.

It's really it's own timing and just takes practice and rhythm.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I kind of have Isai technique in the sense that I practiced Smash 64 a lot so I rarely use the C stick and am pretty precise with the analog stick. I think handicapping yourself by not using the C stick for a little while is a great method to train your precision with the analogue stick. In Yoshi's case, this is helpful when learning not to accidentally DJC stuff.

Something distinct about my Yoshi is shooting eggs way off stage. I jump using the stick so it's already up and I can shoot eggs without worrying about accidentally using my double jump. Yoshi can go surprisingly low and still make it back. From my experimenting so far, it seems most helpful versus Peach and Samus to steal their float/bomb. Versus spacies, it seems better to play near the edge to cover their options and react.

Rather than running to the edge and shooting an egg as I fall off, I like to short hop to the edge and shoot an egg. This allows me to shoot an egg earlier, so I can hit the top of the edge with an egg while I grab the edge at the same time. This is particularly useful versus Falcon who tries to mix you up at the edge while recovering. With this technique, if he goes on top he'll get hit by an egg and knocked off stage while you're already grabbing the edge preventing him from going there. It sounds obvious and simple in theory, but I don't see other Yoshis do this? Since most Yoshis run off and egg rather than the early jump and egg, the egg takes longer to explode at the edge so it doesn't always cover both options at once.

Weak nair to dsmash is pretty dope.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Are you saying you throw an egg at the top of the edge? If Falcon is high up he can get past it. I'd need to see an example or some diagram to understand what you're talking about.

WIDL

We Are Born
I'm playing with the thought of picking up Yoshi a little. I know most of the basic stuff, I just gotta get the timing on the DJC down a little better, especially on the uair. Do you guys use the analog or the c-stick for the upair? :s I find it easier to fastfall when I use the analog, but sometimes I mess up and the uair doesn't come out at all.

There's this Marth that keep messing up my Peach, badly. I of course wanna keep improving on the matchup with Peach, but Yoshi is SO COOL. I heard somewhere that Yoshi is decent in this matchup. Anyone got some definite no-nos for that matchup as Yoshi? Or some tricks for edgeguarding, getting back on to the stage. I know that Yoshi's double jump is pretty good for messing people up, at least in PAL. He can go up until like 70% or something, iirc?

I think the Norwegian scene is pretty inexperienced vs a character like Yoshi, so I think it could be fun to at least try. Also, I saw Beat's post about Marth videos. GIEF.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
If I want to build damage I can either throw an egg while grabbing the ledge then coming up with nair to cover falcon options, or if I don't have time for that, I can d smash if they don't sweetspot, or ledgehog if they do. (if you don't think about it though it is easy to choke, especially if you don't space well and they tech and grab you with their up b.)

Yoshi is cool, but it will be a lot easier to win with peach.

Look around the boards for info on the mu... Biggest things are don't run into tippers and gimps with dtilt are pretty easy. U air juggle racks damage really well.

I went to a Washington tournament Saturday, did decently. 2-0 a technical fox and a bad player, got 2-0 ed by a really good falcon named vish of you know him. and choked against a fox. might be recordings.

At some points I was doing really well with technical things, my shield drops were so good I convinced one person who was on the PR to be afraid of my shield, and I convinced Bladewise to not go near the edge because my eggs were so quick he couldn't move in. I got some crazy combos, including one DJC U-air juggle for like 70%, which was crazy.

My best smash set so far happened, where I 2-0ed a player named ciz, who nearly beat Eggz. We struck to BF where he was Falco, then he CPed YS where he went Fox. I was playing really on point, and all of my carpool was watching. BO3 $1MM btw.

Also, I think I'm going to be coming out with something cool soon, going to test it though. . . might be really useful. Keep your eyes open :p

leffen

Smash Champion
You seem to go to a lot of tournaments Purpletuce... at least compared to the rest of the US yoshis. Keep at it but don't blame "choking" as to why you lost... you need to identify your problems to fix them and you have to be much more specific and/or detailed than just "I choked". Most of the time its just a way of not admitting "I lost to someone who my ego made me think I was better than"

oh, and beating a player better than you in a bo3 set 1 dollar mm is probably something you lost on overall... it takes very little skill to win in a bo3 with yoshi simply because of his gimmicks, and next time you face ciz in tournament he'll have experience against you.

Also... i still feel like you're that guy posting lots of empty facebook update with no discussion and no questions that nobody cares about... might be just me.

oh and im not even gonna read v3ctorman's post, lol. I glanced at it, saw something about pal vs ntsc and nationals and combovids...lolllll

All im gonna say on the matter of best yoshi is that if I'm not the best (and I laugh at the people who doubt it) then you can be damn sure that I'll be the best in a matter of weeks (if not days) since I actually practice Yoshi now.

i'm gonna try to upload the videos tomorrow btw.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm trying to go to as many tournaments as possible, and I'll try to keep improving.

Choking as in playing well in the beginning, then an unfortunate SD. I felt like I wasn't doing to well against the guy and my Puff has never had the problems I was having then, so I went Puff and did really poorly. The things I would have to fix there are doubting myself, and I didn't think the Yoshi boards would want to hear about how bad my puff is. . . it only really works at exploiting bads IMO (and my neutral game sucks with her, badly)

This was the third time I've played with ciz, and one of those times I stayed at his house, I've probably played him at least two dozen matches, and I think this was like our 5th money match. (3 of them were teams though, and consecutive).

I hope most people don't regard my posts as just empty updates, but sometimes that is all I can manage. I post what I can, and whenever I find something useful, I share it, and if I think I'm stuck on something, I'll ask. I'll copy over my notes soon, and this week I should be able to test out my thing to see if it even holds water.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Why so mean, Leffen... The space and time on these boards aren't limited.

And I look forward to those vids.

V3ctorman/Leffen, who do y'all think is Yoshi's best teammate? I understand how open that question is, but I'm asking more about what gaps Yoshi doesn't fill on his own for singles as well so I can try to figure out what to focus on.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Leffen and Vman should go double Yoshi in teams at G3nesis. Whoever has the most parries is the best Yoshi. :troll:
Guess I win since I ACTUALLY play him.. :p

Also, he wouldn't team with me, i'm not in the same "class" as him... also he prolly wouldn't play Yoshi in teams either... especially when you have his super awesome amazing fox yeah.

and it's fine... Leffen's gotta make fun of someone, or what else would he spend his time on.. He's gotta choose a target... I'd say im a pretty good one... If you aren't being hated on, you're doing something wrong.. so it's all good..

and yay the Leffen Yoshi, that we MAY ACTUALLY get to see...

Nah, prolly not.. actually... just words, of how amazing it is.. (which we all know already) so just more of how he'd do this/that if he were to play Yoshi etc...

@purpletuce - keep it up... ^^ I do agree with leffen though.. "I choked/played bad etc... that's similar to something Leffen would say, You don't wanna go that route, he's trying to show you NOT to be like him... and have excuses for everything. Actually I'd also rather you not go that route either.. but hey whatever floats your boat... when you're Leffen anything you say is law now a days..

@hamyojo... I'm still tryna figure that out... My experience is mainly with Axe, (Pikachu) and it's actually quite well.. I wouldn't say it's best.. but it's all i've actually tried... >>; sorry but the almighty Leffen will have to help you with his knowledge of Yoshi in teams that's never been seen... :( good luck... that's if he doesn't bash you for asking... or in his words" A ********" question...

Top Bottom