• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Ask Not for Whom the Bell Tolls..." Game and Watch Matchup + Discussion

jtm94

Smash Lord
Yes up throw. There already was a pre-existing chaingrab that didn't last long, but at 0 it was possible.

I noticed when playing against a Fox today that the upthrow did not send them nearly as high as it used to. This man barely left the ground. I think it sort of made the spacie chain grab harder at low % and also made upthrow into nair and upsmash more difficult.

We already had from what I have experienced uthrow into anything at any % against Roy.

I think the Sonic MU got significantly better due to the removal of his infinite recovery. Our shield still being bad is also helped because Sonic's DownB no longer has a hitbox while turning so he can't turn inside your shield safely for free crossups. I was managing dumb combos today. The new up air definitely isn't bad. Managed to get 2 hammer > 5 hammer > uair > UpB > dair > FF landing hitbox > bair > 8 hammer > jump > 9 hammer. I was at 150% both on last stock xD I need to record more.

Hamman88

Smash Cadet
The scary thing is, and maybe I shouldn't be letting this out, but he has a pseudo chain throw on us too. From 0 to 40-ish a Down Throw that isn't DIed well leads to regrabs or FSmash, but Down Throw is really fast, and if you aren't pre-DIing, get ready to have a bad time.
Isn't Dthrow techable though? And even if you did manage the chain grab without them teching out, wouldnt it be better to end with a jab reset -> upsmash or hammer?

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Isn't Dthrow techable though? And even if you did manage the chain grab without them teching out, wouldnt it be better to end with a jab reset -> upsmash or hammer?
I think you miss understood. I was talking about Roy having a chain throw on G&W. Like he's the one doing Dthrow. It's not techable before he can act.

shapular

Smash Ace
I finally overcame the Fox that was giving me trouble. ;.; Up smash still kills at 80. Uair still kills at 60. ;.; I took some of you guys' advice about spacing dtilts and things and pulled it out though. There's still one part of the matchup that completely puzzles me. What do you do when you're in knockdown and he's dashdancing a good distance away? Seems like he can react to anything and punish. (Yeah, I know I should have teched but I'm not perfect.)

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I finally overcame the Fox that was giving me trouble. ;.; Up smash still kills at 80. Uair still kills at 60. ;.; I took some of you guys' advice about spacing dtilts and things and pulled it out though. There's still one part of the matchup that completely puzzles me. What do you do when you're in knockdown and he's dashdancing a good distance away? Seems like he can react to anything and punish. (Yeah, I know I should have teched but I'm not perfect.)
If you are on the ground you are probably gonna get bodied. He's Fox so that's just the world we live in. CF and Sonic have the same power of being too damn fast. Your best option is to regular stand up when he dashes away, it's the fastest thing and will be the hardest for him to react to. After you are on your feet, shield or side step or ~maybe dodge roll forward. DON'T jump or Up-B. You know he wants to either grab, Usmash or Nair and those lose to those things. Plus, if he reacts to those things he can sneak in an Uair which can brutally murder you.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Yeah I face Sonic as my primary training partner and being anywhere laying down is terrible... He can punish from anywhere it's dumb. I have been doing the stand up a lot and I just try to shield asap and spot dodge a possible grab.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I know playing the opposite side of the MU (as Sonic, because he's fun!), side-step AND shield can lose to different versions (charge vs no charge, which changes the initial hop) of Side B. Also remember that when Sonic is in the tumble animation of his side b, he can jump cancel it and do a guard break by JC-grabbing you.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Yeah I taught my sonic friend the JC grab out of somersault. It's mad annoying, but he's not the best at landing it perfect on shield just getting grabs out of landed SideBs. The mixup potential is still scary on such a fast character.

Luckily Sonic lost some shield pressure in the removal of the pivot hitbox of spin dash. It means he can't spin inside shield and poke GnW's sad shield.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm having mixed results from bair on shield. If I l-cancel perfectly and UpB does it beat out grabs? Sometimes my execution feels on point, but I still get grabbed, while other times it feels sloppy and I can get l-cancel into pivot grab on shield. I'm having a hard time figuring out if this actually works or not.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I will be playing in my first ever tournament on the 5th of December. It is, of course, a Project M tournament and I was wondering if there were any tips you guys could give me for general G&W play as I have not played Project M for quite a while (I live a long way from my Wii). I was also wondering if you guys had any suggestions for secondaries I should try and work on for extremely difficult matchups. I was thinking of going with Mario but I have no idea if that is a good idea or not.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Watch Dakpo play and do what he does. Best advice. New GnW is slightly different, but the gamestyle is still there.

I have Sheik to take on Marth and Roy. They say Yoshi is good against Roy. Mario could be alright, but his MUs against Marth and Roy just got worse

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Watch Dakpo play and do what he does. Best advice. New GnW is slightly different, but the gamestyle is still there.

I have Sheik to take on Marth and Roy. They say Yoshi is good against Roy. Mario could be alright, but his MUs against Marth and Roy just got worse
Awesome, cheers for that. I will look up some vids later.

Hmm, not so sure about Yoshi. I played him in Melee but I didnt click with the PM iteration. I also played Peach in Melee so would that be a better go?

One more question, stages. What do I ban and what do I CP? I have to say, I feel most comfortable on smaller stages like YS melee but obviously I am also a complete rookie so I could be choosing incorrectly.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I saw Yoshi in your mains list so I figured I'd put that out there. Peach... She has a sort of similar MU spread in that she isn't the best against Link, Tink, Marth, Roy. I have heard people say she beats Marth and she may be able to do it against Roy. If you like her then go for it.

You're on the right track. I would never CP those stages against Marth and Roy because that would be a mistake. Against them large stages or stages like Smashville may be appropriate. For the ret of the cast Yoshi's, Warioware, FoD are solid picks because GnW can secure very early KOs there.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I saw Yoshi in your mains list so I figured I'd put that out there. Peach... She has a sort of similar MU spread in that she isn't the best against Link, Tink, Marth, Roy. I have heard people say she beats Marth and she may be able to do it against Roy. If you like her then go for it.

You're on the right track. I would never CP those stages against Marth and Roy because that would be a mistake. Against them large stages or stages like Smashville may be appropriate. For the ret of the cast Yoshi's, Warioware, FoD are solid picks because GnW can secure very early KOs there.
I think my problem is that most of my mains are allergic to swords haha. Which is super annoying when Marth and Roy are super popular characters. Really, I just want someone who is a better matchup for them than G&W so I am not soul destroyingly defeated. I could try and use Falco, but I always found his recovery to be so abysmal that if I was knocked off stage, that was the stock gone. I guess I will just get into playing the game and decide for myself.

Cheers for the stages info, any stages that I should 100% always ban? I have heard bad things about Yoshis Brawl for GDubs but are there any others?

jtm94

Smash Lord
Yeah that's why I was trying to push for someone to handle them better. I have Sheik myself. Just play with the cast against a Marth main if you can.

I hate Yoshi's Brawl, but I don't know why. I personally don't like Skyworld and I don't like FD against characters faster than me. GnW can thrive on most stages. Ban Dreamland against floaties, Peach, and heavies with good recoveru like Snake, Samus, etc. If the opponent is very strong like Ganon ban super small stages like Wario, Yoshi Melee, FoD and opt for neutral stages preferably with less platforms to abuse bacon or Dreamland if they have easy to gimp recoveries. Remember stages like FoD and Green Hill have higher ceilings which can help against vertical killers like Fox or Snake.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Yeah that's why I was trying to push for someone to handle them better. I have Sheik myself. Just play with the cast against a Marth main if you can.

I hate Yoshi's Brawl, but I don't know why. I personally don't like Skyworld and I don't like FD against characters faster than me. GnW can thrive on most stages. Ban Dreamland against floaties, Peach, and heavies with good recoveru like Snake, Samus, etc. If the opponent is very strong like Ganon ban super small stages like Wario, Yoshi Melee, FoD and opt for neutral stages preferably with less platforms to abuse bacon or Dreamland if they have easy to gimp recoveries. Remember stages like FoD and Green Hill have higher ceilings which can help against vertical killers like Fox or Snake.
Starters
Green Hill Zone
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Battlefield
Dream Land

Counters
Yoshi's Island
Wario Ware
Final Destination
Norfair
Yoshi's Story

This is the stage list we will be going with so I cannot use FoD unfortunately, which actually happens to be one of my favourite stages.

But yeah, cheers for all the tips dude, I will have to find a way to keep all this in mind.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'd try to avoid norfair as GnW. the plats are too big and mess up tech chasing and enable camping,
That's about all I really have to say on the matter

jtm94

Smash Lord
Played against EmptySky, Umbreon and another friend this weekend. I'm slowly getting better with the char. I just need to work on recovering and take punishing to the very furthest.

Yeah Marth is like... unwinnable. It makes Marth look like a God, but it's just GnW's weight that is perfect for combos. And he gets edgeguarded and stuff. We can combo Marth back thpugh if we get in bair is like... my source of going in. Bacon is useless.

Link is winnable. He got a lot worse. Run up and just hold down. You duck under his grab. He has no out to CCing and you duck boomerang. He is super easy to go in on and every type of combo just works on him. This doesn't really change my overall view of the MU though I believe GnW is weak to projectiles being that his aerials are so slow so we are left with shield.

Luigi is weird. A very good character in 3.5. I hate misfire why does his SideB have like 4 frames of invincibility? Misfire is like storable 9 hammer that hits faster. Dying 4 times per game to it starts getting annoying when the only counter play is to react faster. Bair and stuff beat it out though so be ready. His burst movement via wavedash is also hard to get used to and he is very strong. The games were basically both of us 0 deathing each other back to back, I think it's even.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I think Link is even or maybe 45-55 now, Marth is like 35-65 and Luigi is 45-55 or even.

Also, the Pittsburgh guys should come to Ohio some time (not NEOH, but Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati), since we host PM all the time. I want to see you get the HankyPanky Experience (TM) and see if you find the Peach MU to be as bad as I do.

Last edited:

&Y_

Smash Cadet
13th and 17th at the weekly and BR13 this past week. 40 and 42 person tournaments. Definitely getting better.

Played Blink's Ike at BR13. Bopped him first game, lost a close second game, and dropped the last edgeguard game 3 by accidentally turning around with Up B and sding. :( Anyway that matchup feels at least even. Ike has a hard time doing his side b shenanigans due to wavedash/CC downtilt. Outside of quick draw, Ike doesn't really have a quick sword move to punish you with. Ike is such a great combo weight, I was getting 70% punishes really easily with up B and up air combos and platform tech chases. At one point I carried Ike from below Skyworld with up b and up airs to be killed off the top with f air. Seriously, Ike is so easy to combo.

I choked versus NotSoShyGuy's Mewtwo. Should have won the first game but I'm a fraud, at least I took him to game 3. That match up feels so much better now that Mewtwo's sword is 15% shorter.

Bowser/Ganon are still free. Even with the bacon not walling them out with bacon new up air just destroys them. It's beautiful.

In friendlies with Youngblood I was going even with his Falcon. That match is definitely more even now. Might still be a little gdubs favored, but I was really struggling in neutral. Bucket braking knees is still absurd.

I really have no clues about the Wario matchup. Got bopped by HavikLink on stream. All I know is that it's a bad decision to try and skillet hit his side b. It was worth a shot. It didn't feel like the match up was bad, I just had no clue what good Wario could do. Hopefully I'll do better next time we play.

New Gdubs is sooooooo good.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
I think Link is even or maybe 45-55 now, Marth is like 35-65 and Luigi is 45-55 or even.

Also, the Pittsburgh guys should come to Ohio some time (not NEOH, but Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati), since we host PM all the time. I want to see you get the HankyPanky Experience (TM) and see if you find the Peach MU to be as bad as I do.
There aren't many PGH PM players. The only ones that enjoy the game are Me(JESUS), My Sonic friend(Satan's Toe Nails),a Yoshi friend(RSTMT), Life(Squirtle), Blew Dew(Squirtle/Ness), and that's about it. We just got a PGH weekly started for PM on Saturday we lost it for a while because of Smash 4. I'm no longer a part of the NEOHPGH FB group because of irreconcilable differences and hardcore discrimination that I could no longer coexist with. TL;DR there are only 2 PGH players that would travel, but I would love to come out.

The main people I play with are my 2 friends, and the Erie group. EmptySky(Link), Umbreon(Sheik/Ike), Johno(Luigi/Mario), Pelet(ICs/Olimar). They're all pretty hype.

My thoughts:
GnW vs Link 50:50
GnW vs Luigi 45:55
GnW vs Marth: 40:60
GnW vs Ike: 50:50
GnW vs Sheik: Bad

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Definitely, I'll keep you updated on events that we in Ohio run and stuff like up in MI that we go to. Add me on FB or Skype and I'll keep you up to date. Inbox me here, @ jtm94 jtm94 and I'll get you my info.

My thoughts on your MUs:
GnW vs Link: 5-5
GnW vs Luigi: 45-55
GnW vs Marth: 35-65
GnW vs Ike: 50-50
GnW vs Sheik: 45-55, 5-5 (stage dependent)

Last edited:

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
What are good counterpick characters and stages to Marth? ;-;

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Marth is Bad on large stages where he can't really control with his range (DL64, Skyworld, Norfair, etc)
Sheik, DDD, DK, Yoshi, and a few others do notably well vs marth (I'm probably forgetting a few)

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
Was playing in a tourney, last set, last match. I forgot to ban FD and he uses Link... WHY BRAIN WHY

jtm94

Smash Lord
That's not TOO bad, but still rough.
I like and don't like platforms against Link. He's much easier to deal with now than he was though.

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
Somebody said this a while ago, but putting it out there again. Roll to ledge --> Side b works amazing on tether characters and vertical recovery characters like Marth and even GnW.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
So short hop Fast fall bacon will touch the ground....this is actually pretty big. This might change some match-ups

Dakpo

Smash Lord
What do you mean?
In 3.0 when we would throw bacon, a lot of the time it was easy to run under because its slow and it would sometimes disappear before ever touching the ground. This allowed opponents to run under really easy. Now it touches the ground and we can secure parts of the stage in neutral.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Somebody said this a while ago, but putting it out there again. Roll to ledge --> Side b works amazing on tether characters and vertical recovery characters like Marth and even GnW.
You mean roll onto the stage then just SideB to hit them for recovering high?

And does the bacon fall faster, is it a new angle that makes bacon make come in contact with the ground, or is it the fastfall that makes it happen? Is this the case with single or double bacon?

In 3.0 It was a pain against (guess who?) Marth and Roy because their run animation is so freaking low that they can immediately run as I started to bacon and do whatever to me. I've already gotten some people with the fastfall, because they are so used to me being prone and unable to move.

QUESITON: Is there any merit to SHFF single bacon now?
Double bacon expends all of our top tier cooking materials, using double bacon was a no brainer before because we had far more supplies and you couldn't augment fall speed so putting out a single bacon was literally wasting the chance to throw out 2 with no loss. Now, however, we could single bacon much faster in some scenarios and follow-up on it and it also doesn't expend both bacon. Side Note: angling bacon down is pretty difficult.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
The merit to SHFF single bacon is that you have a projectile out where you generally know the tradjectory and can follow it faster than SHDB.

I use it to threaten and gain space in neutral faster sorta like a worse version of Wolf following behind his 3.02 Lasers. It's not as versatile always because we don't have Wolf's Dash Attack as a launcher, but we still have DACUS and the like. It works sorta like a faster neutral tool, at least in my experience.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
With perfect mashing and fast fall input the second sausage will come out the frame before you land, but even if you miss the double shot the 10 frames you save from fast falling is a big deal.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Must practice mash.

Don't know if anyone does this, but I have always gone for things like this where I would bacon cancel 1 or 2 doesn't matter, then dash forward and downtilt hitting my opponent into the bacon and immediately hammer or fsmash and they fall into it off the bacon. I do it into grabs sometimes too. Opponent is usually too caught up thinking they are flying upwards to act.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Had someone come over from PGH that I don't normally play. He was roughly the same skill give or take.
He used Squirtle and Ness the best.

So on Squirtle..
Bacon is useless. Literally awful, controls nothing, stops nothing, and that is even when it does hit him. He's so small he can not respect it and still probably not hit it, but if he does it will probably be with armor.
He can duck under grabs, his CC game is good just because the distance he slides only when you hit him makes it hard to get a follow up even if he got stunned. He has good options out of CC, dsmash goes into literal anything, Bubble is obnoxious, but dtilt is the main issue. Dtilt leads into UpBwhich had KOd me at around 90 to 100% range. It sounds super bad, but if he UpBs immediately I could not act fast enough to avoid the hit. Alright, so you can however SDI behind himto avoid the final hit, but if he's spaced for that hit there isn't much you can do. Also, if he whiffs you are above him, but he falls a tad faster so I had a hell of a time trying to punish UpB... annoying. Bubbles into dtilt and grab of which dthrow is pretty strong, but DIable. Our combos work ok on him, but he's so small that landing hitboxes in general is tough. The way the character can throw out dtilts from a distance and the way his pivot has a hitbox can also make him hard to approach and pretty much nullifies DACUS. It is quite good at punishing distant dsmashes and even bubble if you catch them slipping though.
Edgeguarding: His moves have some pretty good priority, they aren't as big as GnW's, but they are quite lasting. He was abusing stage spikes hard against me and I realized how strong they are in this game. I need to be wary and tech them always. I am pretty sure back air beats out UpB straight up, but I could be wrong. He just comes so deep with fairs, bairs, and nairs it's hard to contest off stage so it gets pretty scary.
Overall I could see it going in GnW's favor slightly.... He has weird movement and hitboxes like us, but his extra movement makes him very hard to hit/combo. He's very annoying to face until he gets at high % and then chair beats everything except bubble...

On Ness...
I learned to also kind of hate/respect this character. Even after changes PK Fire is a pain. I don't even want to think of the move before.... His stuff pretty much leads into bair/fair/whatever. Dash attack is HUGE now, always respect it. Always respect fair I couldn't beat it with my fair, but I think that's me spacing it bad since every time he used fair it was with double jump momentum flying at me so I couldn't really retreat fair well. Always respect dair, at worst it will trade. Nair is king of trading too. This MU felt like a pain, he didn't really know who's favor it was in, but I couldn't help but feel slightly disadvantaged. PK Fire still goes into grabs and yeah I need to get good and mash SDI, but that's so arbitrary to have to mash every multi-hit, to be honest I just kind of accept it and believe I will outplay them even if I take free damage. Dthrow still leads into things, you want to pretty much always DI HARD in front of them and it makes follow-ups limited or null. Bthrow KOs still, DI up basic stuff. When recovering.... hope he doesn't dair. I had been getting considerably better at meteor-cancelling, but his dair was so strong I would get the cancel at around 90% with UpB and not make it back... For sure worth trying to cancel with Double jump because at higher %. Again this is another MU where the opponent has typically better movement options than us, be extra wary of throwing out punishable moves because DJC using momentum can place bair upon you much faster than you think. Pretty much shield a lot against him because he can't do anything about it with PK Fire changes, crouching is bad because his dtilt is stupid, always DI away on his combos because fair links into fair into dair, and conversely bair links into bair, into bair. Oh, and PK Fire is hard for me to bucket on reaction, it's still an annoying move because if spaced well you can't really do much. And combos work well on Ness. He isn't terrible small, has like average weight/fall speed kind of like comboing Mario in a way. bair leads to fair and all that jazz, UpB combos are far more potent than against Squirtle.
Edgeguarding:
Chair puts in work to beat out PKT2. I was also having success with dair, but sometimes his invincibility went through it and I would die or come close as a result. It may be worth going deep to bucket PKT or just running into it so he can't recover. Dtilt is another really viable edgeguarding tool. Unless he is using PKT, try not to rush him offstage. His dair, fair, bair make him very potent and you will either end up meteored or stage spiked. Up air is strong as the dickens too.

Top Bottom