• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask NickRiddle how to be amazing.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
really? lucas' grab frames are 50/70/80 for pivot/standing/dash respectively. i was kind of expecting a larger difference between standing and dash for zamus, but i guess that's just the way it is.

is pivot faster or slower than standing?

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
Questions:

1) How should ZSS safely approach great mks?

2) What is the best way to fight an amazing falco?

3) What should I look out for, if I have to do the ditto?

solecalibur

Smash Master
Questions:

1. I wait for them to approach its different with zss defensive game but it helps greatly compared to you approach

2) My rule is taunt before the match starts because I always see the falco just use his reflector at stupid times (even the good ones) , My one thing is to camp him out for a good 20 - 40 seconds randomly then they normally they get a bit more sloppy (also ruins there momentum), Our Over B out ranges his reflector learn the spacing , and if you vs enough Falcos it seems really obvious when they are going to Phantasm recover or Phantasm after they just get off the ledge , Backwards crawl avoids his neutral B your just in a bad position to attack afterward (More or less a mind game)

3) When your jabs collide keep jabbing , dair seems to stop our aireal game if they go up for an uair (or up B), keep your armor! and throw it wisely because its basically one stock if someone has all 6 around them (when they throw wait till the last second for you to throw so they clash and they are closer to you), Also dont grab when they miss a grab use dsmash

Oh yeh this isnt Q&A .... w/e im not deleting this

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
^ You told me everything I knew, but thanks anyway. I want Nick to answer since his region has these top level characters, with him also being the top ZSS.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
really? lucas' grab frames are 50/70/80 for pivot/standing/dash respectively. i was kind of expecting a larger difference between standing and dash for zamus, but i guess that's just the way it is.

is pivot faster or slower than standing?
I'm pretty sure pivot is just as long as dashing. Both of them just have one extra step frame.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Questions:

1. You cannot approach a top-level MK. The best "approach" would be to try to space him with d-smash if he likes to run, or d-tilt if he likes to walk. D-smash > jab/d-tilt are also fairly safe. As long as MK knows your mixup, you will be forced to play a reaction-based style. Enjoy getting grabbed a few times before you hit him though. (Seibrik beat me yesterday, so until I learn his new stuff, this is my answer. I'll get back to you.)

2. Don't have an amazing Falco... but the rule of thumb is to crawl a lot, and beat his aerials with your uair. (Ties with dair in the worst-case scenarios.) D-tilt works amzing in this MU again, as does u-tilt if they go behind you. If you can get a d-smash on them while they're recovering, and have used their second jump, you can footstool them, and tether the edge for a guaranteed kill. (If I can ever get my dazzle to work, I'll be making a video of this.)

3. Do what they're going to do better. (How should I know? I'm the only ZSS in FL.)

^ You told me everything I knew, but thanks anyway. I want Nick to answer since his region has these top level characters, with him also being the top ZSS.
The only character of those three I play with any frequency is MK. The best Falco lives 9 hours away from me, and the best ZSS... I dunno if there're any outside of NC/SC tbh.
My being better than somebody does not make their advice any less useful. No one thing will work against any character. Those things only work against specific players, and their styles, ESPECIALLY MK. He has so many ways to play that you should be thankful for any advice you get.

<3

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Look out for one of the silliest matchups I've ever played in a video game, ever. I'd suggest to get some ditto practice with Teevee because he loves the matchup (****in weirdo), but I'm guessing he's the ZSS you're looking out for.

NickRiddle said:
(If I can ever get my dazzle to work, I'll be making a video of this.)
If you'd like, you can send replays my way and I'll gladly record/upload any matches/footage. This goes for any ZSS, really.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
If you'd like, you can send replays my way and I'll gladly record/upload any matches/footage. This goes for any ZSS, really.
Well, I wanna make a vid of that edgeguard, but that would require like... a clip of every character it works on. (21) I'd rather go through the process of doing it myself. Makes me seem official. :3

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
@ Dazwa

So the matchup sounds pretty dumb lolol. Btw Teevee mains solo mk now, I just needed to know just incase it comes up, thanks

@Nick Riddle

Unfortunately mk who know the ZSS matchup and are great, simply force us to just outplay them...<_<

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Learn how to move forwards while doing a back jump. Otherwise it will always devolve into Paralyzer spam.

Once both players know how to beat Paralyzer, it really is about just outguessing your opponent.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
How do you like fighting IC?

Are there any in FL?
The same way everybody does. Move them away from each other, kill the *****, then kill Popo. Camping works on some levels, and being aggressive works on other levels.

SFL has Snipa, and we play quite often, so I have a lot of exp in the matchup. Not sure if he's good in the grand scheme of thigns due to my never really playing second ICs, but it's something.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
How do i get over first tournament nervousness?
Convince yourself it is friendlies.
Listen to music.
Talk to people and relax yourself.

You probably won't. Tournament jitters happens for quite a few of them. (Took me a few months to stop shaking during close matches.)
When you get more comfortable playing with thigns on the line, you will be fine.

noradseven

Smash Lord
How do i get over first tournament nervousness?
Go to a few tournies, it goes away, then you have to figure out how to get pumped, you need it for that little extra edge heh. Also I play better with a bit of the shaking there are 2 ways to accomplish this one, don't eat and let blood sugar hit rock bottom... when thats starts wearing down(aka start getting way to hungary to focuse) eat food and drink a **** ton of caffine, take a 20-30 minutes break to let the caffeine start rolling.

Freshly ground black chai tea supremacy. :cool:

One guy here rolls with some coffee with liquor in it O_o.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Go to a few tournies, it goes away, then you have to figure out how to get pumped, you need it for that little extra edge heh. Also I play better with a bit of the shaking there are 2 ways to accomplish this one, don't eat and let blood sugar hit rock bottom... when thats starts wearing down(aka start getting way to hungary to focuse) eat food and drink a **** ton of caffine, take a 20-30 minutes break to let the caffeine start rolling.

Freshly ground black chai tea supremacy. :cool:

One guy here rolls with some coffee with liquor in it O_o.
Well...caffine might not roll so well with my system xD; I'll probably get insane jitters just from the caffine xD
I think i might just eat pocky. I need to buy a few boxes xD Hopefully that'll calm me down

But dear lord....coffee and liquor...that must be an interesting combo o__o

Nick, fb wouldnt let me open the link XD

Snakeee

Smash Master
Well...caffine might not roll so well with my system xD; I'll probably get insane jitters just from the caffine xD
I think i might just eat pocky. I need to buy a few boxes xD Hopefully that'll calm me down

But dear lord....coffee and liquor...that must be an interesting combo o__o

Nick, fb wouldnt let me open the link XD
A little caffeine can be good, but too much DOES give me the jitters. Try to be in a good mood and make sure you've gotten a good sleep the night before (always a problem for me bc I have insomnia). Maybe listen to music, but something that makes your mind feel clear, NOT heavy metal or rap. These are basically the same guidelines I use for poker, except it's hard for me to actually follow them in both :/

Snipa4800

Smash Lord
The same way everybody does. Move them away from each other, kill the *****, then kill Popo. Camping works on some levels, and being aggressive works on other levels.

SFL has Snipa, and we play quite often, so I have a lot of exp in the matchup. Not sure if he's good in the grand scheme of thigns due to my never really playing second ICs, but it's something.
Naaammmeee ssseeeaaarrrcchhh.
Im the best *3*.

Except against ZSS.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Gah I still get nervous during tounrys or during my casuals I hold on campus just get use to it and if you use caffeine dont drink the whole bottle unless your against a metaknight next in brackets

inb4xtacyfalco

Gahh whats the IRC url again -.-"???

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
A little caffeine can be good, but too much DOES give me the jitters. Try to be in a good mood and make sure you've gotten a good sleep the night before (always a problem for me bc I have insomnia). Maybe listen to music, but something that makes your mind feel clear, NOT heavy metal or rap. These are basically the same guidelines I use for poker, except it's hard for me to actually follow them in both :/
I definatly need to charge my mp3 then. And make a happy-go-lucky jpop playlist xD

@sole:
irc://irc.globalgamers.net/zss

Top Bottom