• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask NickRiddle how to be amazing.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Is there any reason behind the jump and shield changes, or is it just for your personal preference?
My fingers are slow.
L jump is for the ROB infinite.
Y shield is because when Brawl first came out it was MUCH easier to power-shield things with Y instead of pressing the L/R trigger all the way down.
Got used to it.
Tap jump off so I can do up-b without having to be really specific in my tilt of the stick.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
That's what I do, I started out playing with wii remote and shielding with my left hand. Maybe it just stuck.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Hey guys just gonna mention to the guys asking about Nick's control scheme -- while its not a bad idea to get an idea of what set ups high level players are using, and yes it can potentially benefit you, realize everyone has different preferences so its best to mess around with different set ups on your own and see what works best for you.

I know this is common knowledge to a lot of you, but just thought I'd throw this back out there since people are asking about that and also since I'm seeing a few new faces around here :D

And welcome new guys! (and girls?)

Linkissocool

Smash Rookie
That reminds me, I'm not very active on AIB/here but I do check in to see who's doing well with ZSS every once in a while (omggg it's snakeee :D )
But I'd like to ask, competitive-wise, what do you think of using the wiimote/nunchuck combo ?
Brawl is my first smash game and I didn't know everyone used GCN until later T_T

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm just curious to see what better players use. I'm just gonna just use tap jump off, because I'm used to everything else default.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
But I'd like to ask, competitive-wise, what do you think of using the wiimote/nunchuck combo ?
Brawl is my first smash game and I didn't know everyone used GCN until later T_T
Always thought the list went:
GCN
Classic Pro/Classic
Wii Chuck
*Somehow get N64 controller support*
---Empty Space---
Wiimote Standalone

Wii Chuck isnt bad, but it isnt the best choice, but the way you can configure the button layouts make it really versatile if you find something you're comfortable with.

Linkissocool

Smash Rookie
Always thought the list went:
GCN
Classic Pro/Classic
Wii Chuck
*Somehow get N64 controller support*
---Empty Space---
Wiimote Standalone

Wii Chuck isnt bad, but it isnt the best choice, but the way you can configure the button layouts make it really versatile if you find something you're comfortable with.
Yeah, I set smashes to the dpad but then like, I have to press two buttons simultaneously to grab....guess it's not really that great >.>
I'm too used to it to try to learn GCN tho lol

Mike2

Smash Ace
I remember when I played ZSS early last year I used to watch Charby videos a lot. Is he still around? And what do you think of him as a player?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I remember when I played ZSS early last year I used to watch Charby videos a lot. Is he still around? And what do you think of him as a player?
Not that I've seen.

I generally do not give my input on a player, so I will plead the 5th on that one.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Nick, about Zero Suit's tier spot.

Should she rise/decline on the next update?
Is she better than Toon Link?
She should stay in the same spot.
DDD should move below her because he sucks... so up a spot?

Also, Toon Link is bad, so he shouldn't be near her in the first place.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I think she's good, The only downside is sometimes no killing power. I think she's better than D3 though. He needs to go down.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
But Zero Suit Samus is a ***** with over powered aerials and a broken down smash.

:phone:
And no grab.

D3 and G&W should go down a few spots, so ZSS should raise a few spots. She's a lot better than both of them.
GW shouldn't go down...

Nah, ZSS is fine where she is; She's not bad, but not great. She's so-so, and thats just where she resides: so-so tier.
Silence IC main!

I think she's good, The only downside is sometimes no killing power. I think she's better than D3 though. He needs to go down.
DDD sucks.

Nick Riddle how does Zero Suit Samus fight against Marth?
Umm... very carefully?
F-tilt/jab/aerial if you predict a fair. (they hit first due to Marth's down-swing on his sword."
D-tilt/u-tilt punish most things on shield.
Don't do predictable stuff. Up-b hurts.

DEHF, how does Zero Suit Samus fight against Marth?

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Can you explain the match up in more detail please? What's the best way to edge guard Marth? How does ZSS do against Marth in the air,ground,etc.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Can you explain the match up in more detail please? What's the best way to edge guard Marth? How does ZSS do against Marth in the air,ground,etc.
Umm... okay...

Edgeguard Marth?
How is he recovering?
Recovering high: Throw out an up-b to force an airdodge and hit him back offstage. If he doesn't airdodge... follow-up.
If he recovers low... you cannot really mess with it.
You can hit a not-perfectly-spaced up-b with d-smash, which is always good.

On the ground...
Marth out-spaces ZSS, obviously, except for side-b.
D-smash isn't good vs. a grounded Marth.
All of his smash attacks are grabbable on shield. D-smash his d-smash.

When Marth is on the ground while ZSS is in the air... haha... good luck.
You have to make him guess wrong, or go to the ledge.

Marth and ZSS in the air.
Fair/bair outranges ZSS's aerials.
To make up for that, fair can be beaten by uair due to where fair's hitbox comes out, and bair is... pretty laggy. Laggy enough for a side-b on whiff IIRC.

ZSS on the ground vs. Marth in the air.
U-smash is great in this MU to keep him up there.
General uair > falling up-b stuff like on every other character.

Crawling is amazing in this MU if the Marth likes to jump. D-tilt hits landing fair and nair before you get hit.

Umm...
When Marth is on the ledge, space paralyzers/side-bs outside of nair range. If Marth uses his "safest" option, which would be jumping from the ledge, you can follow the Marth above you segment.

Uhh...
When you're on the ledge...
Ledge-hop nair is great, as is down-b (non-kick) > shield. The worst thing that generally happens is you get grabbed... and Marth's throws aren't exactly the scariest things out there.

Anything else?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Your bair def outranges our fair.
It's more we outdisjoint your aerials due to swords vs legs.
Even though your uair has weird delayed hurtbox to hitbox hax which gives her a "disjoint" of sorts.

IMO really well ranged dtilts from ZSS is a strong position against a grounded Marth. If it hits, marths in a really really bad position, if it hits marths shield he can't ds it (IIRC, like if you keep spamming it, sure) and from that well ranged dtilt marths often best option is to take into the air anyway if it hits his shield, so you can take advantage of that. If he rolls, dash attack or even dash grab reads will make him cry.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Your bair def outranges our fair.
It's more we outdisjoint your aerials due to swords vs legs.
Even though your uair has weird delayed hurtbox to hitbox hax which gives her a "disjoint" of sorts.

IMO really well ranged dtilts from ZSS is a strong position against a grounded Marth. If it hits, marths in a really really bad position, if it hits marths shield he can't ds it (IIRC, like if you keep spamming it, sure) and from that well ranged dtilt marths often best option is to take into the air anyway if it hits his shield, so you can take advantage of that. If he rolls, dash attack or even dash grab reads will make him cry.
D-tilts would be good... if after shielding a couple we weren't in tipper f-smash/d-smash range...
But, I forgot about that.
I guess it's why I mentioned crawling.
Crawling is SO GOOD vs. Marth.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dtilt to dtilt to dtilt will get you owned ;).

But the mix up after the dtilt hits up Marth is quite strong.
Other things
RAR bair > marth jumping
Jab > shield drop something (RISKY!)
Dash Attack/Grab > Rolls
Hell even a pivot respace dsmash could get him.

Top Bottom