• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Ice Climber Players About Ice Climbers Thread

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
LOL I understand, Binx. My playstyle is more flashy than effective. XD When it works, it looks really cool. Other times.. eh, not so much. XD

I dunno. I just enjoy desynching alot. LOL That's usually how my Nana gets killed but.. hey, I'm slowly learning.

Binx

Smash Master
Hey Speed that's fine with me =) I just don't like pressing lots of buttons fast cause I'm lazy so I just go for efficient smash attacks and easy grab combos, I never learned the proper timing for wobbles so I can't infinite even if it were legal at a tournament and I dont practice chain throws vs a lot of characters so there are a few weights I can't effectively chain combo anyways (not telling which ones lols)

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climber experts, what is this Dual Squall Wall of Pain and how do u do it?
o ya one more thing, what characters can you reverse dair chaingrab? (can u name all of them if possible?)

Binx

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZ2ibvZb2Q the squall of pain is clearly demonstrated in this video.

You can reverse dair chain throw, Ganon and Falcon, at high percents I believe you can do it to fox and falcon but you could just upsmash them for the kill at that point so no reason to do it (havn't tested it myself just think its possible) I think you can do it to bowser and DK as well but once again not sure, you can sort of do it vs Mario Luigi Doc Peach Marth Sheik but they can DI up and jump out with relative easy so often I go for a smash after the dair instead of another grab but if they are used to smashes you could probably trick them here and there by grabbing instead.

I am sure there is more but I'm no chain grab expert I don't use these techniques in friendlies and I don't practice them enough to use them in tournament consistently so I stick with throws to smashes mostly unless I'm against fox or falco who I have a lot of experience chain throwing, also ganon and falcon I reverse dair but I really dont use them vs anyone else.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I was messing around today and I found a way to desynch from dash-attacking. Basically, you have Popo dash attack in the opposite direction that you're facing and Nana will run behind you doing nothing. The timing is REALLY freaking tricky and I dunno exactly how to describe to do it. Still, I got it down to about 40-50% consistency this morning. It was cool, I had Nana and popo alternate dash attacks across FD.

I actually have a camera now so I can record some poor quality footage of me doing some of these desynchs and stuff. I can't guarantee it being good though.

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah I would rather do that with the tilt, its easier to start it and safer since you aren't doing an uncontrolled dash attack and nana can still dash attack after it anyways.

Someone try this for me, have nana charge a forward smash from some sort of safe desynch, approach with a short dash and then shield, I havn't tried this but my theory is that if someone hits your shield you will get a grab through wavedashing out of shield or by being withing range for a shield grab, OR Nana will smash them in the face, OR Nana will smash their shield and you get a free grab anyways, OR they jump and you get to uair them a couple times XD

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
When Popo grabs teh opponent and nana does a blizzard, he hits them SLOWLY and i can barely get teh second hit in on my TV (hit as in when u grab an opponent, u can hit them around before throwing them)
on my friends TV, when popo grabs teh enemy and nana blizzards, i can get two hits VERY quickly. Is there such a thing on how a TV moves faster than teh other?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
When Popo grabs teh opponent and nana does a blizzard, he hits them SLOWLY and i can barely get teh second hit in on my TV (hit as in when u grab an opponent, u can hit them around before throwing them)
on my friends TV, when popo grabs teh enemy and nana blizzards, i can get two hits VERY quickly. Is there such a thing on how a TV moves faster than teh other?
It's a version difference. You have version 1.2, but your friend has either 1.1 or 1.0. They made multihits lag more on 1.2 / PAL. Try comparing Samus's up-B to see the difference really easily.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else use b-throw to d-air chaingrab?

I first thought this would never work but I realized if you time the d-air right it sets the character right next to you. This of course would probably not work on everyone (the person I do it to is a Falcon) cause they could probably escape, I'm not sure though. Anyways, I was surprised to see that this actually worked right. Mainly because the person did not expect that awkward chaingrab so they sort of sat there saying "Wtf that wasn't d-throw to reverse d-air...". Mindgames, son.

I'm sure if they saw it coming they could probably escape, but once again I'm not sure cause I don't know all the frame-data for this.

pockyD

Smash Legend
double posting because it's over a day apart

corneria vs peach - good or bad?

just for the record, i usually go stadium or story vs peach (pending their style)

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
oooo ooo i know about this grabbing stuff. reverse d-throw d-air is only inescapable against Falcon and Ganon. It sounds silly but Bowser and DK can jump out of it at 0 with proper DI. Luckily silly chainthrows work against those characters, like d-throw u-smash. The u-smash acts much like the d-smash in the d-throw d-smash chain against sheik and company, but it looks cooler. Try it out next time you fight a bowser/dk.

b-throw d-air works if and only if the opponent is DI'ing away from you. The most practical use of this (although not really practical at all) is against fox and falco. Usually when you grab them at lower percents they'll smash DI away from you, because there's little risk that a smash attack will kill them. The timing is much faster for b-throw d-air and is actually still escapable if they realize what's going on. When performing this DI dependent throw make sure you jump virtually instantly after you press back to throw. Then d-air asap.

It's useless against Falcon and Ganon and horrible ineffective lol.

EDIT - Corneria vs Peach - GREAT counterpick if they don't camp. Absolutely horrible counterpick if they do.
Pros - Easy low percent KOs off the top of the stage (on the flat/fin)
Cons - Extremely gay wall that gives Peach easy tech chases for d-smash

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
It's a version difference. You have version 1.2, but your friend has either 1.1 or 1.0. They made multihits lag more on 1.2 / PAL. Try comparing Samus's up-B to see the difference really easily.
aww mann not kool, how do i adjust to this each time i smash against him? i cant really practice this then
and thanks for teh info so far

pockyD

Smash Legend
EDIT - Corneria vs Peach - GREAT counterpick if they don't camp. Absolutely horrible counterpick if they do.
Pros - Easy low percent KOs off the top of the stage (on the flat/fin)
Cons - Extremely gay wall that gives Peach easy tech chases for d-smash

yeah, but my thinking is that it basically FORCES them to camp since peach just can't move around that well, and that bodes poorly for the IC

though another pro would be relatievly close edges by the fin where she's camping (assuming you don't hit her INTO the fin -_-)

god peach is so gay

Binx

Smash Master
I think poke stadium is the best Peach counterpick for ICs. It has a slightly lower ceiling than other stages, you can nail her with up smashes when she is on platforms and there is enough room to get away from her if your careful.

pockyD

Smash Legend
what do you ban vs peach?

dreamland is awful in the matchup for a neutral, but it's at least playable

brinstar is unwinnable but of course it has no chance of coming up on random

mute city is tough too, though i'd say it's better than brinstar

japes, etc are also lousy -_-

my thinking has always been to ban the neutral because all of those counterpick stages **** IC anyway, so may as well improve your odds on the random stage

also, how is FoD supposed to work out? i imagine that the low platforms can be smashed through and the sides/top are REASONABLY close, but in practice, i always get suffocated due to no space to move around

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I usually ban FoD vs. Peach. It's way too claustrophobic and it feels like when Peach is approaching there's nothing you can do about it. It may seem like bad practice to ban a neutral with ICs, but I never win there vs. Peach so I guess it works out. Though, like you said I guess maybe it is a good idea to ban a neutral. If you ban Brinstar Peach just goes to Mute City, and vice versa.

Even though Peach lives really long on Dreamland, that's one of my favorite places to fight her. I feel like when I face Peach I need a lot of room to work with. Also, while Peach lives forever there, so do the ICs. It's not unusual for me to live into the 170s on that stage as long as I don't screw up a crucial DI. Also ICs can still kill her a lot faster than other characters on that stage.

pockyD

Smash Legend
where do you take fox/falco when they ban FD?

i usually go DL against fox (not sure if that's the BEST but it's good in theory), but i really have no idea what to do with falco now that so many are doing the shine->shine->up-b nana gimp on the smaller stages i traditionally liked -_- (FoD/battlefield vs falco)

Binx

Smash Master
I dont know where you guys are playing where you can ban neutrals but I think battlefield is still one of the best counter picks vs spacies, it limits their space and makes them easier to tech chase IMO for when you are solo.

I just don't use ICs on non neutral stages because they typically aren't mobile enough in the air to get around the obstacles that cause those stages to be non neutral in the first place, I personally like to use Fox or Jiggs on counterpick stages, especially rainbow cruise and pokefloats.

VS Peach I agree than you should ban the smallest stage you can and that would definitely be FoD. You have to stay more mobile than her and since jabbing really isn't a solid option against her it makes your ground approach a bit more risky, add to the fact that she can dsmash if she thinks you will run through her and pressure your shield with impunity and gimp nana easily, and separate the climbers easily adds to the retarted difficulty of the match up, at least on a large stage you have a way to run from her and try to think.

Against Fox DL is a good pick simply because the position of the platforms coupled with a nice high ceiling, unfortunately though it also allows fox to laser you and have space to get away, but hey Fox has a small advantage on pretty much all stages anyways but DL64 is a good one.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Yeah I would rather do that with the tilt, its easier to start it and safer since you aren't doing an uncontrolled dash attack and nana can still dash attack after it anyways.
Funny thing is, I can't seem to do the variant where Popo tilts and Nana does nothing. Like i said, the timing's really tricky and I think that it's kinda dependent on the positioning of the stick. I'm not sure though.

I've managed to pull this off in a few matches where I dash attack and either: A) they sheild and I make Nana grab
B) They CC and I make nana Dsmash
or C) they get hit and nana follows up with an aerial or nanapult if they DI away.

faced204

Smash Rookie
sex **** *** **** **** *** **** tit boob butt ***** ****

i just wanted to see how the forum dubs these words :)

Deus_Vult

Smash Rookie
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ykXqEv-zb78

How can I edge guard like wobbles did at the end?

I don't really fully understand how to desynch the IC besides dash dancing. I've tried to spot dodge but both of them dodge instead of only popo.

How can I get Nana to grab instead of popo?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Hold down the controls after the spotdodge. They both spotdodge, but by inputting the next controls, only Nana will respond afterwards. For example, in that edgeguard, Wobbles spotdodged, then held forward+A. When the spotdodge ended, Nana began to charge her f-smash. Note that when you edgehog, you can't control Nana anymore, so she will release the smash.

There are a few ways to get Nana to grab. One is just like the above: spotdodge/roll, and hold down grab. After the spotdodge/roll, only Nana will grab. Another more practical way is to first grab with Popo, d-throw, and as your opponent is being released, grab with Nana. The timing for this is tricky because the length of the throwing animation varies with character weight.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
How is the reverse dtrow dsmash timing?, i think it´s I´ll have to Dsmash kinda early but when I practice I more often don´t give them knockback, for the dthrow/dsmashchaingrab.

I found out that the reverse dsmash goes through the left house on Onett, atleast when you stand on a platform and want to implement it in my tricks(maybe works on peach castle, gotta test it out more when I´ve learned the timing). Atleast I think that IC's > Fox on Onett^^

Binx

Smash Master
Fox owns like everyone on Onett, he can waveshine for like 50% vs half the cast there before a car comes, and if he wants he can decide that both characters get hit by a car, also he has a really good up air so if he camps on one side of a house while he is winning you will have a tough time approaching without getting uaired.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
forgotten jabcancelinfinite :p, and the Usmash is notably weaker in PAL which I play so he is in no way near broken on that stage.
When he does a shine at wall infinite I seem to get out with shielding with L and pressing Z, which sometimes makes Nana grab strangely^^
Chaingrabs to the Car is too good, wavesmash on the right house real lyquick is great too for easy surprising KO's, something that makes the stage good is Nanas ability to survive, now for my question again.

How is the reverse dtrow reversedsmash timing?

OriginalVillain

Smash Cadet
Two questions:

How can I defend myself against Ganondorf? His Uair is ungodly good and his Dair hits either me or nana 90% of the time. I can spot dodge but nana will probably be hit, and I often don't have time to roll dodge or wavedash away.

Secondly, is there any particular tips for timing the hits in wobbling? I've been having a lot of trouble getting the tempo down consistantly.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Never spotdodge for defense when Nana is alive; it's incredibly short and useless, other than for desynching. Nana's spotdodge comes in 6 frames after Popo's, making it 6 frames shorter, so one of them is likely to get hit.

Try to stay away from him in the air, and if he u-airs or f-airs, shield and wavedash away after the hit. Otherwise, keep him at bay by wavedashing away from him. He shouldn't be able to approach you effectively, because the dude is slow.

An easy way to approach Ganondorf is wavedash to jab. You can easily cancel the jab (by crouching) into a grab, which should easily end the stock. Jabs are easy to land on Ganon. (note the number of times I used a form of the word "easy")

As for the second question, look at the sticky. Wobbles explains the whole thing clearly. Headbutt/jab, simulaneously tilt the control stick forward, and start rhythmically tapping A.

Binx

Smash Master
Two questions:

How can I defend myself against Ganondorf? His Uair is ungodly good and his Dair hits either me or nana 90% of the time. I can spot dodge but nana will probably be hit, and I often don't have time to roll dodge or wavedash away.

Secondly, is there any particular tips for timing the hits in wobbling? I've been having a lot of trouble getting the tempo down consistantly.
Vs Ganon's uair shield grab it, vs his dair light shield it and wavedash grab, jab or utilt depending on what you think he will do.

Binx

Smash Master
So guys, dash dance desynch to having Popo act first, dash dance, then while Nana is in the sliding to a stop animation give popo a command, my favorite right now is iceblock to nana pult. Not as fast as pivot iceblock but its easy to do, so have fun with it, obviously not going to be competitive often cause its sort of slow but its fun to do.

Also the short hop fast fall short hop desych has been tripping people up lately, I do it into fair blizzard, block blizzard, block usmash, forward smash nana dash grab.

Top Bottom