• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask an atheist

gm jack

Smash Lord
As for everything else, I'm done with this thread. Evolving from a chemical vat is not probable in any sense of the word probable. In fact, numerous mathematicians have found that it is statistically impossible. But because everyone takes the words of scientists as if they were the word of God, they're going to disagree with this and tell me I'm stupid.
Nobody counted the failed attempts.

It's a big universe out there. As more and more light reaches us, it shows no signs of having boundaries. At that to over 10 billion years of existence, and is it that hard to believe that one reaction spawned a molecule able to make copies of itself? Improbable, yes. Impossible, no.

As for the unproven theories, it was merely an example of a way something could come from nothing without resorting to "God did it". Therefore, it is pretty poor to assume the God did it stance with 0 proof while there is ever so slightly more evidence for other theories (i.e. within the realms of physics, they are possible. God require breaking those fundamentals.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's a pretty big stretch to go from "something must have existed forever" to "there is an agent (that is, a being with a will of its own) that created the universe and is personally watching over the human race, one of millions of civilisations that must exist in the universe (according to carl sagan anyway), and if we live our lives by his rules then when we die an imaginary piece of our extraphysical being gets to live forever in eternal bliss, but if we disagree with him or do not accept him as real (without evidence!), that same imaginary soul experiences an infinite amount of pain and suffering for eternity.

Let me tell you what is probable (science deals with probable, not possible; this is why science doesn't give a rat's *** about the existence of god: it's possible, not probable): Life on earth evolved many characteristics, but one of the defining characteristics of sentience is overestimating the amount of agency at work in its surrounding environment.

Agents, that is, other "beings", are always more dangerous than inanimate objects. ALWAYS. Whereas natural instinct and rudimentary prediction skills are very good at dealing with inanimate objects, they are absolute **** at dealing with other agents. This innate danger that agents present towards survival caused life on earth to become supersensitive to agency.

When we look at a stick on the ground, before our brain is even capable of telling what colour it is, our fight-or-flight mechanism tells us to get the **** out of there, there's a ****ING snake and it's gonna ****ING kill us. If we assume everything is an agent, we survive a hell of a lot more often when we DO run into an agent.

So we evolve an incredibly strong tendency to see agency in every aspect of everything, from shamanistic spirits whose whispers are they very cause of wind, to the Judeo-Christian God who created the universe.

But this instinct has nothing to do with reality! It is simply a survival technique we picked up sometime before we left the oceans!

It might be a good idea to assume that the stick is a snake, and that if we don't run the snake will bite and kill us. But that doesn't mean that after we examine the stick and prove that it is, in fact, a stick we still have to be afraid of the snake!

The agency argument also corroborates with the strange pattern of religions. There are no religions based on inanimate objects. There are no religions where things were produced by chaos, or by some non-living process with no personification. This is because religion is entirely and completely a side-effect of this long-standing primordial instinct to be afraid of every other creature and to see creatures everywhere.

It happened to get carried on into modern, present day, much like a lot of our instincts which came about from evolution (jealousy is purely detrimental to society nowadays, but back then it was about putting your seed in as many places as possible and keeping other men from doing the same, for instance).

I haven't read any part of this thread yet, but I'd imagine Pascal's Wager has come up or will very shortly come up. I'd just like to dispel that bull**** right now.

Do you, the theist, believe in God because you are afraid of Hell, or because you genuinely believe in God?

Right. So how could you possibly expect us to change our beliefs out of fear?
As I said, "Namely, God." In other words, a god fits the requirements for what that infinite thing is (and thus, even in isolation, can be used to support the pillars of Christianity). I didn't say "that thing that existed before all things has to be the God of the Christians who will condemn you to hell if you don't convert". The argument only calls for some being that can justify the existence of dependent objects and creatures.

Why are you assuming that I'm an unimaginative Bible-slapper reliant on ad baculum to get a gold star, receive an A+, and score "holy points" in eyes of a Christo-typical deity? Why do you feel the need to unrestrainedly label God-fearing people as long-standing uneducated wimps who use religion as a coping mechanism? Are you that uninhibited?

That's terribly flawed. The human that created the shoe was created, so where did God come from? Go look over Pink Reaper's posts, he summed it up best.
You clearly didn't follow the argument (or as much of it as you read). I'd suggest you go back and reevaluate my post.

I'll even sum it up for you with an anti-spoiler:

My point: By virtue of the meaning of the descriptive "finite", if anything finite exists, something infinite must also exist, which, though not necessarily God, has the ability to bring about that finite thing (ergo, the finite thing is contingent upon the existence of the infinite thing).

GofG

Smash Champion
Yay Parthian shots! Grats on getting in the last word. However:

As for #2, that's the definition of an explosion. The sum of all energy is zero in an explosion. So if you believe that the universe came from an explosion, then yes, that would be a sensible theory
No. In fact, except in very strange circumstances, it's impossible to have an explosion of any sort without energy. I think you mean that the delta, that is, change in energy, is zero, and this is absolutely true with every aspect of reality and every event that ever happened, not just explosions, because of thermodynamics.

As for everything else, I'm done with this thread. Evolving from a chemical vat is not probable in any sense of the word probable. In fact, numerous mathematicians have found that it is statistically impossible. But because everyone takes the words of scientists as if they were the word of God, they're going to disagree with this and tell me I'm stupid.
This is just speculation, but it comes from Carl Sagan who, while a scientist (who you might therefore be predisposed to be opposed to) is also an extremely respected author and proponent of the scepticism to which you obviously adhere.

In the very beginning, you have a vat of chemicals. The majority of these chemicals are h2o, better represented to capture the pH qualities as HOH (since chemicals suffixed with OH are bases, and chemicals prefixed with H are acids, this makes water have a pH of 7, or neutral. If you're a chemist please come in and refute this; i've only had highschool chemistry). Now, some of these other chemicals, like some lipids, are very much opposed to being in direct contact with water (hydrophobic), and others, like some phosphates, are very proposed to being in direct contact with water (hydrophilic).

If you disbelieve that these rudimentary compounds could evolve themselves from a vat of elements, then try to think about the sheer immensity of four billion years.

Now eventually, over the course of some grand amount of time and random chance, you're going to have a system where there's a complete circle made up of hydrophilic chemicals on the outside where they can touch the water, and hydrophobic chemicals on the inside where they do not have to touch the water.

Now, this system is going to STAY like this, while everything around it changes, because this system is stable. And there are going to be a lot of these systems, because remember, we have an amount of time somewhere between immense and infinite, and this system happens to work really well. And sometimes things may change, and maybe a lot of systems are going to break but some will become more stable.

So that's one theory of how to make the jump from "vat of chemicals" to "structure and order", and it makes logical sense and each jump isn't so much of a stretch as to be unbelievable. It has even been reproduced in a laboratory environment. Scientific experimentation (which you claim to respect, even if you do not respect the people behind it) has shown that given the right chemicals and enough time, such a formation will occur, in multitudes.

Is perhaps the jump that you regard improbable, the jump from single-celled life to multi-celled life? If so, you should say "Evolving from a single cell is not probable". If you find my paraphrase of Carl Sagan's explanation lacking, feel free to watch the demonstration given by him with helpful animations, because trust me, this is not a case of equal footing; you either believe that evolution is a legitimate and quite possible explanation for the origin of our species, or you are certainly predisposed to disbelieve in it because it conflicts with what you currently believe.

GofG

Smash Champion
As I said, "Namely, God." In other words, a god fits the requirements for what that infinite thing is (and thus, even in isolation, can be used to support the pillars of Christianity). I didn't say "that thing that existed before all things has to be the God of the Christians who will condemn you to hell if you don't convert". The argument only calls for some being that can justify the existence of dependent objects and creatures.
Why must it be a being? Why agency? Why can't it be the admittedly cold, but refreshingly tangible, laws of physics? Newtonian determinism, slowly churning away the clock of reality of which we all have just as much meaning as any other sack of inter-related particles?

Why are you assuming that I'm an unimaginative Bible-slapper reliant on ad baculum to get a gold star, receive an A+, and score "holy points" in eyes of a Christo-typical deity? Why do you feel the need to unrestrainedly label God-fearing people as long-standing uneducated wimps who use religion as a coping mechanism? Are you that uninhibited?
No, that assumption was based on A) you bringing up an argument that has time and time again proved fallacious and because B) you are arguing pro-theism on an internet forum; rational theists are the minority in such circumstance.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
GofG,

To answer your question a couple posts back, I believe in a loving yet just God (i.e., I adhere to Christian reformed theology) because my heart tells me it's the truth, not because I'm afraid of hell-fire or whatever.

The awesome things is that the odds are also on my side. Not that I'm the gambling type, but mathematically speaking, we can reduce the situation to this:

Either God exists or he does not, correct? It's 50/50, due to the fact that you cannot give proof to either side. It's no more provable that there is an intelligent, eternal, and powerful God-figure than it is possible to show that the big bang happened. However, if a God exists under the conditions of being the source of the universe, then the qualities I listed are inherent to his behing. In the case where God does exist, he automatically explains how the universe came to be. On the other hand, if the universe is the byproduct of some inexplicable mixture of unintelligent, unpreceded chemicals floating around in an unfathomable void, what are the chances of them, the lifeless and unpurposed magic bundles that they are, compiling the vast, beautiful, materially self-sufficient, inconceivably intricate reality that we know?

I like my odds.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
The awesome things is that the odds are also on my side. Not that I'm the gambling type, but mathematically speaking, we can reduce the situation to this:

Either God exists or he does not, correct? It's 50/50, due to the fact that you cannot give proof to either side.
This is so wrong...Here is a cute story explaining why: http://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/2009/09/leprechauns.html

It's no more provable that there is an intelligent, eternal, and powerful God-figure than it is possible to show that the big bang happened.
This is also not correct. The reason why The Theory of Relativity prevailed over Newtonian Physics is because the Theory of Relativity predicted results to a higher degree of accuracy. Similarly, if the Big Bang theory can predict results to a higher degree of accuracy than the God hypothesis, then the Big Bang theory is preferable.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
As for everything else, I'm done with this thread. Evolving from a chemical vat is not probable in any sense of the word probable. In fact, numerous mathematicians have found that it is statistically impossible.

:034:
Just out of curiosity, exactly who would these mathematicians be?

One thing to understand is that evolution isn't about how life starts or gets created. It simple is about how life, once it's there, can get more complex through environmental pressures and mutations.

Yes, the chance of life arising at any given moment may seem quite statistically negligible, especially at scales that humans are accustomed to, being only on one planet and maybe living a century if we're lucky. But, we aren't just thinking about life arising on one specific planet. We're thinking about life arising anywhere in the universe. Let's say that life is so rare, there is only 1 in a billion chance that it could arise on any particular planet (or, heck, if you want it even rarer, one in a trillion chance). Just for reference, the odds of winning the Mega Millions lottery is an estimated 1 chance in 176 million.

It's been estimated, quite conservatively, that there is between 1 - 30 billion terrestrial planets in our galaxy. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that we can really only safely say there are 1 billion terrestrial planets (even though this low number isn't the most likely to be accurate). Then, as for the determination of how many galaxies there are in the universe, I'm going to go with the conservative number of 80 billion, the number of galaxies the Hubble telescope would theoretically be able to see if it could scan the whole sky. So, a quick estimate from these numbers would be 8 x 10^19 terrestrial planets in the universe.

So, even with saying that life is so rare as to happen only 1 in a billion planets, that would mean that, even with these conservative estimates of how many possible locations life could arise in, it would've happened on about 80 billion planets in the universe (or 80 million if you want the chance to be as high as a 1 in a trillion). And, that's just at this particular instance. The universe has been around for an estimated 14 billion years old, so that's a lot of time to have the chance of life unfold somewhere.

The issue is, with abiogenesis, people often think about the statistics about with the wrong point of reference (not that it's really their fault, it's the reference that is generally most useful and relevant to us), which is our local, single planet, with chances that apply to only a coverage of maybe 75 years or so.

gm jack

Smash Lord
In the case where God does exist, he automatically explains how the universe came to be. On the other hand, if the universe is the byproduct of some inexplicable mixture of unintelligent, unpreceded chemicals floating around in an unfathomable void, what are the chances of them, the lifeless and unpurposed magic bundles that they are, compiling the vast, beautiful, materially self-sufficient, inconceivably intricate reality that we know?

I like my odds.
Because that's the best way for a replicator to make more copies of itself. Beauty and organisation are what you make it. It is self sufficient as it must be, or else it wouldn't exist. It is beautiful to us as it is what allows us to survive. And no, it isn't inconceivably intricate. Take a look at some biochemistry. **** complicated indeed, but not irreducibly so.

There is just as much chance of a flying spagetti monster as a god. There is no way in hell you can call it 50:50 unless there is actually equal chance of both, not just two options. Additionally, Pascals wager is a load of BS. Please do not use that argument.

A neat little idea is to line up every faith that has ever existed. There are hundreds. Now, I would start to ask you to disprove them one at a time. Common themes would be false prophets (maybe with other motives, or simply high as a kite), a complete misunderstanding of their world (e.g. lightening being thrown from Zeus) etc.

Eventually, it would get to a point where you can simply refer to previous example of why the faith can be falsified. For example, the Roman and Greek gods were very similar, so you can use the same arguments for both.

Then comes your own religion. Many of the arguments previous used could be used again. What makes your prophets any more credible? What makes your texts any more accurate?

Atheists and religious people aren't that different. Atheists just believe in one god less.

GofG

Smash Champion
GofG,

To answer your question a couple posts back, I believe in a loving yet just God (i.e., I adhere to Christian reformed theology) because my heart tells me it's the truth, not because I'm afraid of hell-fire or whatever.
Exactly. That is why Pascal's Wager, which is similar to the wager you make further down, is ludicrous. Your heart tells you god exists. My heart does not. How can you possibly expect me, therefore, to believe in him?

Either God exists or he does not, correct? It's 50/50, due to the fact that you cannot give proof to either side. It's no more provable that there is an intelligent, eternal, and powerful God-figure than it is possible to show that the big bang happened.
There is a grand amount of evidence pointing towards the big bang. All the matter in the universe expanding away from a certain point at unbelievable speeds, for instance. We know a LOT about the big bang. We know the state of the four forces during the big bang. We know the exact state of the universe immediately following the big bang, which corroborates with observable reality. Evidence is what matters here, plus the big bang also happens to have some explanatory value. You seem to think that explanatory value is more important than evidence.

However, if a God exists under the conditions of being the source of the universe, then the qualities I listed are inherent to his behing. In the case where God does exist, he automatically explains how the universe came to be. On the other hand, if the universe is the byproduct of some inexplicable mixture of unintelligent, unpreceded chemicals floating around in an unfathomable void, what are the chances of them, the lifeless and unpurposed magic bundles that they are, compiling the vast, beautiful, materially self-sufficient, inconceivably intricate reality that we know?

I like my odds.
Are we talking about the big bang or the origin of life? The big bang was not a chemical reaction. I am not a physicist so I don't know much about it (the extent of my knowledge is a rudimentary scan of The Universe in a Nutshell by Hawking) but my understanding is that the big bang has a lot to do with gravity pulling all matter in the universe together, slowly, until it all occupies the same point, at which point there's no space meaning time stops existing. Idk. It's on my to-do list of things to learn about; I know a lot more about classical physics than origin theories.

So if you have in your head some imagined scenario where the big bang happened because there were some particles floating around in a void, and those particles happened to crash into each other or something, I have some recommended reading for you (Brief History of Time, Hawking. Fabric of the Cosmos, Brian Greene. Varieties of Scientific Experience, Carl Sagan). Please don't bring up the Big Bang again; it won't get you any leverage in this argument because neither of us know **** about it.

If, however, you're not talking about the big bang and instead talking about the general evolution of complexity out of chaos (start with chunks of elements floating in space, end with life somewhere along the line produce life), why is it so unbelievable? Huge swaths of evidence for it, which I will go over if you ask me to. Arguments against it are nothing short of hilarious (intelligent design). No alternate theories (if there were any, science would surely be expanding on them).

Science isn't a war. If you can find fault with the theory of evolution, bring it up. As much as you might like to paint the community as a group of Elitist Jerks who don't allow dissenting opinions, it simply isn't true. (I'll abstain from pointing out similar behaviour in the church, and instead only meta-point it out.)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
All I know is, something can't come from nothing (i.e., there had to be something that always existed). Are you familiar with R.C. Sproul's "A shoe can't create itself" argument?

It kind of builds on Anselm's age-old contigency argument that "if there was a time when nothing existed, and all things that can exist are contingent on some other thing that exists or existed, then nothing would exist today; but things do exist today, so there must have been something that always existed, namely God". Granted, the argument to some degree relies on the Scope fallacy, or the quantifier fallacy. But when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. :ohwell:
You're doing it again. You're attempting to rationalize what could happen in a irrational existence outside of the universe.

If, outside of the universe there exists a space where the laws of the universe do not apply then attempting to rationalize that space is impossible. It would be a place where at chaos could give way to order, where mass comes from nothing, where 2 = 5. In that sense one or many universes could simply blink into existence and subsequently out of existence as well.

GofG

Smash Champion
I don't like your argument, Pink Reaper. It feels like you are dodging the actual debate. Saying "We have no way of knowing because it is beyond our understanding", while not necessarily untrue, isn't very useful and in general puts up a huge wall that keeps any argument from seeming meaningful.

You're like the nihilist who shows up to the Objectivism vs Socialism debate and interrupts everyone saying "who cares? We're just big sacks of particles, no different from any other congregation of matter for millions of light years in any direction, and everything is meaningless" which, while technically true, has very little to do with the matter at hand.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
All I know is, something can't come from nothing (i.e., there had to be something that always existed). Are you familiar with R.C. Sproul's "A shoe can't create itself" argument?

It kind of builds on Anselm's age-old contigency argument that "if there was a time when nothing existed, and all things that can exist are contingent on some other thing that exists or existed, then nothing would exist today; but things do exist today, so there must have been something that always existed, namely God". Granted, the argument to some degree relies on the Scope fallacy, or the quantifier fallacy. But when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.
1: There was a time when nothing existed
2: All things that can exist are contingent on some other thing that exists or existed
3: If 1&2, then nothing would exist today
4: Things exist today
5: There must have been something that always existed, namely God

Even if your premises are true, the conclusion would contradict the first premise. If God is eternal, then premise one is not true, therefore the argument is self-contradictory. Unless God is synonymous with nothing, this argument is wanting.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
This is getting very pointless.. Each side shares an idea but none are taking true consideration of what the other side says. Everyone is bringing up good points but for what? In the end both sides will still be at each other throats, and the problem will countinue to go on...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
This is getting very pointless.. Each side shares an idea but none are taking true consideration of what the other side says. Everyone is bringing up good points but for what? In the end both sides will still be at each other throats, and the problem will countinue to go on...
Well, durr.
I, or anyone else will really not let what they firmly believe in, be changed abruptly by a debate on an internet forum with people you don't know.
Also Pink Reaper,

If, outside of the universe there exists a space where the laws of the universe do not apply then attempting to rationalize that space is impossible.
Couldn't the same apply to (a) god?

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Well, durr.
I, or anyone else will really not let what they firmly believe in, be changed abruptly by a debate on an internet forum with people you don't know.
Also Pink Reaper,

Couldn't the same apply to (a) god?
So allow me to get this straight, your debating.... just for the sake of debating -___-. You argue knowing that you guys aren't going to change, which means there is no point. Which also means every single post on the matter is meaningless unless u just want info, which obviously isn't the case.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
No need to be a naysayer. I think this topic has encouraged some really productive discussion. Already 130 posts long. We might not change each other's minds, but at least we're learning and standing up for our opinions.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
It's not at all meaningless. I don't expect anyone to suddenly change convictions upon the hearing of a single argument, but it does have a cumulative effect, especially if you point out the issues and problems with the reasoning of another person. Change how they understand how to reason and debate, and you may change the conclusions they arrive to when considering evidence.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
So allow me to get this straight, your debating.... just for the sake of debating -___-. You argue knowing that you guys aren't going to change, which means there is no point. Which also means every single post on the matter is meaningless unless u just want info, which obviously isn't the case.
What the above posters said is true. I don't argue in religious debates in the first place, but if I do, it's show people other ways to look at things, not the convince them my way is right.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I don't like your argument, Pink Reaper. It feels like you are dodging the actual debate. Saying "We have no way of knowing because it is beyond our understanding", while not necessarily untrue, isn't very useful and in general puts up a huge wall that keeps any argument from seeming meaningful.
That's because at the end of the day any argument here is meaningful. Be it a god or plane of unreality it's beyond the human capabilities to understand it. We are a people who don't even fully understand how the human mind works, yet we attempt to pretend we have even some basic understanding of the universe itself.

Im not backing religion. I can with one sweeping generalization say that every religion is wrong. To attempt to put a face on a god is foolish. To anyone who says they know or understand god, you dont, you're fooling yourselves, im sorry it's true.

On the other hand anyone who thinks they understand how the universe works scientifically, you're wrong too, albeit probably less wrong. The basic structure of the universe is understandable but the second you attempt to understand anything outside of it you've entered an area the human mind is not fit to try and understand.

And no, this isn't the same as the Nihilist argument. There is a reason to explore our universe, to continue to attempt to understand humanity and life, because that's legitimately understandable. The universe follows exists on the same rational plane as we do. However everyone here is arguing about the irrational in the most literal sense, which is completely, 100% ********.

gm jack

Smash Lord
No need to be a naysayer. I think this topic has encouraged some really productive discussion. Already 130 posts long. We might not change each other's minds, but at least we're learning and standing up for our opinions.
Which is the key point. Stuff may make sense in your head, but if it is illogical as soon as oyu try and explain it, then it never was logical in the first place.

Because remember, somewhere along the line, we convinced ourselves there is an invisible man in the sky, with a list of ten thing he does not want you to do and a place of fire and sulphur and burning if you break those rules. But he loves you.

(kudos for the reference)

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I see now. It's just that even though you did share your opinons, now what? It's not like the arguing will stop. I'm sure someone will just bring it up again, and then every1 will recite there points OVER again. Do you kinda understand where im coming from atleast?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I'm glad atheists have a presence here.

I started my public high school's Atheist and Agnostic club =]

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I don't think this is the case. If a good point is brought up, I would consider it. But the question is, what good point for Theism was brought up (If there is one, I wouldn't mind hearing it)? Even if both sides leave unchanged, it still has more potential than doing nothing, letting both sides become more segregated and more immune from criticism.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
This is so wrong...Here is a cute story explaining why: http://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/2009/09/leprechauns.html

This is also not correct. The reason why The Theory of Relativity prevailed over Newtonian Physics is because the Theory of Relativity predicted results to a higher degree of accuracy. Similarly, if the Big Bang theory can predict results to a higher degree of accuracy than the God hypothesis, then the Big Bang theory is preferable.

(A) @ your first point: The illustration in that blog doesn't closely apply to the concept I was establishing. It minimizes the number of questions the "atheist" has to answer by painting him as the person with a reasonable doubt who is automatically in the right until proven otherwise. The burden is on the theist to show there is a leprechaun in the box, while the atheist will be in the right in every other case (a total of infinite outcomes - 1, if such were possible). Note that this can probably be explained by the fact that the author of the blog is connected with the ACA (Atheist community of Austin[, Texas, I'm assuming]). This whole depiction of the God or no God question would be better visualized as an atheist and a theist debating how a 300-ft statue of St. Patrick carved out of pure gold appeared in the middle of their street. The theist would argue that the leprechaun materialized the figure, and the atheist would argue that some rift in the time continuum (or similarly irrational cause) resulted in the Irish Missionary's appearance. Thus, both explanations are so extremely improbable that they cannot be more than equally right (or, much more likely, wrong). However, due to the fact that the statue has some relevance to a leprechaun, the theist is (and I know this is a stupid example) very very very marginally favored over the atheist, just as is my claim that a God would create humans and a world to live in, for he is an intelligent being dwelling in heaven.

(B) @ your second point: God and the Big Bang theory are both ways through which the world might have come about. The key thing here is that neither view can predict reality more accurately because both do not add or detract anything from reality. The big bang does not lead us to any useful conclusions about the universe because the theory merely takes for granted all the scientific knowledge that is available and uses it to build this grand suggestion for how it originated. Theology does essentially the same thing.

Because that's the best way for a replicator to make more copies of itself. Beauty and organisation are what you make it. It is self sufficient as it must be, or else it wouldn't exist. It is beautiful to us as it is what allows us to survive. And no, it isn't inconceivably intricate. Take a look at some biochemistry. **** complicated indeed, but not irreducibly so.

There is just as much chance of a flying spagetti monster as a god. There is no way in hell you can call it 50:50 unless there is actually equal chance of both, not just two options. Additionally, Pascals wager is a load of BS. Please do not use that argument.

A neat little idea is to line up every faith that has ever existed. There are hundreds. Now, I would start to ask you to disprove them one at a time. Common themes would be false prophets (maybe with other motives, or simply high as a kite), a complete misunderstanding of their world (e.g. lightening being thrown from Zeus) etc.

Eventually, it would get to a point where you can simply refer to previous example of why the faith can be falsified. For example, the Roman and Greek gods were very similar, so you can use the same arguments for both.

Then comes your own religion. Many of the arguments previous used could be used again. What makes your prophets any more credible? What makes your texts any more accurate?

Atheists and religious people aren't that different. Atheists just believe in one god less.
(C) @ your first paragraph: Assuming that some intermediate organism between the beginning of time and now existed, it seems reasonable to say that it would be self-sufficient and reproduce in a way that is conducive to its survival. However, that organism cannot be worried about survival if it is infinite. In other words, something had to have preceded it. The thing before it had to have passed on the ability to survive, or at least to reproduce before perishing. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this. From where did the knowledge of how to survive and reproduce originate? Surely not from chaos. Furthermore, since infinity never ends, no matter how far into the past we go, we will never reach the originator, unless that originator is infinite. Poignant fact! You get my drift... I've overused the word God, and you'll probably find some other entity that is not intelligent or all-powerful to theoretically be able to perform those tasks. But how confident are you in that theory? And does your heart tell you that's the source of all life? Or is that your defense kicking in?

@ 2nd paragraph: See (A). Moreover, I never employed Pascal's wager in my arguments. Pascal's wager urges you to choose God because you have nothing to lose. I have not told anyone to choose God. I've merely been debating His existence. ;)

(D) @ the rest of your post: I agree that many ancient religions can be shown to be false by recycling proofs. What makes my prophets more credible or texts more accurate? Well, nothing, to be honest. That's pretty obvious. I just choose to believe them, same way you choose not to (I presume).

Exactly. That is why Pascal's Wager, which is similar to the wager you make further down, is ludicrous. Your heart tells you god exists. My heart does not. How can you possibly expect me, therefore, to believe in him?

There is a grand amount of evidence pointing towards the big bang. All the matter in the universe expanding away from a certain point at unbelievable speeds, for instance. We know a LOT about the big bang. We know the state of the four forces during the big bang. We know the exact state of the universe immediately following the big bang, which corroborates with observable reality. Evidence is what matters here, plus the big bang also happens to have some explanatory value. You seem to think that explanatory value is more important than evidence.

Are we talking about the big bang or the origin of life? The big bang was not a chemical reaction. I am not a physicist so I don't know much about it (the extent of my knowledge is a rudimentary scan of The Universe in a Nutshell by Hawking) but my understanding is that the big bang has a lot to do with gravity pulling all matter in the universe together, slowly, until it all occupies the same point, at which point there's no space meaning time stops existing. Idk. It's on my to-do list of things to learn about; I know a lot more about classical physics than origin theories.

So if you have in your head some imagined scenario where the big bang happened because there were some particles floating around in a void, and those particles happened to crash into each other or something, I have some recommended reading for you (Brief History of Time, Hawking. Fabric of the Cosmos, Brian Greene. Varieties of Scientific Experience, Carl Sagan). Please don't bring up the Big Bang again; it won't get you any leverage in this argument because neither of us know **** about it.

If, however, you're not talking about the big bang and instead talking about the general evolution of complexity out of chaos (start with chunks of elements floating in space, end with life somewhere along the line produce life), why is it so unbelievable? Huge swaths of evidence for it, which I will go over if you ask me to. Arguments against it are nothing short of hilarious (intelligent design). No alternate theories (if there were any, science would surely be expanding on them).

Science isn't a war. If you can find fault with the theory of evolution, bring it up. As much as you might like to paint the community as a group of Elitist Jerks who don't allow dissenting opinions, it simply isn't true. (I'll abstain from pointing out similar behaviour in the church, and instead only meta-point it out.)

(E) @ 1st paragraph: Regarding Pascal's, see above (D). Concerning the whole heart thing, that gets into reformed theology, which is the mainsail doctrine for the Christian Presbyterian denomination. You probably don't even want to hear this, but I believe that men and women cannot believe in God unless he chooses them. This has to do with Calvinism and the T.U.L.I.P. interpretation which I won't get into. Yea, I'll stop there for that subject. :ohwell:

(F) @ paragraphs 2 and 3: In IP 3 you yourself admit that you don't know much about the Big Bang Theory. How, then, can you support your statements in IP 2 that there is a great deal of evidence pointing to the BBT? I'm not calling you out. I'm just saying - if there's a great deal of evidence of the BBT and it has so much explanatory value, why don't we call it the Big Bang Science? Yea, let's drop that whole tangent. I only brought up the BB as an example of an explanation to the universe anyway. I don't know anything about it.

(G) @ paragraphs 4 and 5: Tell me: do you really believe there's a good chance chunks of elements just floated around in space indefinitely, those chunks randomly produced life, and the chunks were never seen again? Again, you brandish the "evidence" card. Apparently, there's "huge swaths of evidence for it"? So scientists have observed these entities of chaos nimbly jetting around in a distant galaxy? Please. It seems to me you're implying that the "chunks of elements" became life, rather than producing it. In other words, the claim is that we are the evolution of things that were eternal, yet we are mortal and finite. Sorry, I just can't harbor that belief under my "Elitist Jerk" skull. :p

Lmao, the leprechaun story was so true and made perfect sense.
See (A). Don't let bias get the better of your reason.

You're doing it again. You're attempting to rationalize what could happen in a irrational existence outside of the universe.

If, outside of the universe there exists a space where the laws of the universe do not apply then attempting to rationalize that space is impossible. It would be a place where at chaos could give way to order, where mass comes from nothing, where 2 = 5. In that sense one or many universes could simply blink into existence and subsequently out of existence as well.
(H) [And I know there are a million posts after this one - but I need to rest] @ your post: You're overcomplicating my ideas. I'm merely claiming that there must be some origin from which the universe derived itself. Why must we overthink things and talk about rational this and irrational that? My logic is straightforward. Everything you see before you did not come from nothing? What kind of non-divine being could initiate a genesis that would develop into a universe of this magnitude and awesomeness?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
What is there to discuss?

"Hello again. There either isn't or probably isn't a god. Same time next week."
hahaha I know right? I always think, "I wonder what they do at those atheist meetings. We don't have any scriptures to read, no preachers to interpret things for us, wtf would we do? What would we talk about? Hey guys, you still don't believe either? Yep, me too." Organized atheism would probably be even more pointless than organized religion.

edit: Also, the leprechaun story seemed like a pretty good illustration against the idea of organized religion. The author seemed more concerned with showing how people are desperate to feel important in this giant, hollow universe, as opposed to disproving the existence of some creator.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
(A) This whole depiction of the God or no God question would be better visualized as an atheist and a theist debating how a 300-ft statue of St. Patrick carved out of pure gold appeared in the middle of their street. The theist would argue that the leprechaun materialized the figure, and the atheist would argue that some rift in the time continuum (or similarly irrational cause) resulted in the Irish Missionary's appearance. Thus, both explanations are so extremely improbable that they cannot be more than equally right (or, much more likely, wrong). However, due to the fact that the statue has some relevance to a leprechaun, the theist is (and I know this is a stupid example) very very very marginally favored over the atheist, just as is my claim that a God would create humans and a world to live in, for he is an intelligent being dwelling in heaven.
Don't be too quick to build a straw man. Lets use an example that actually occurs in real life. Crop circles occur overnight often with geometric designs, over vast amounts of space, with no indications of large machinery or footprints left behind. Are you seriously suggesting the person postulating that Aliens created them is actually favored over the natural hypothesis (In your example, that Leprechauns are a more favorable explanation over an Irish guy that is very excited about St. Patrick's Day and made a very big expensive monument)? There are other examples, the Pyramids, the Nazca Lines, etc. Supernatural claims are generally lacking of any explanatory power and are usually the least plausible hypothesis in any situation.

(B) @ your second point: God and the Big Bang theory are both ways through which the world might have come about. The key thing here is that neither view can predict reality more accurately because both do not add or detract anything from reality. The big bang does not lead us to any useful conclusions about the universe because the theory merely takes for granted all the scientific knowledge that is available and uses it to build this grand suggestion for how it originated. Theology does essentially the same thing.
First of all, the God hypothesis does not fit the definition of a scientific theory so you're comparing apples and oranges here. The Big Bang Theory has made several predictions to support its claim, namely, cosmological red shift, cosmological microwave background radiation, and the distribution of elements. What predictions have the God hypothesis made? Another aspect of the Big Bang Theory that makes it more credible than the God hypothesis is that it is falsifiable. The theory is built on a certain set of assumptions (i.e. the cosmological principle) about the universe that could be shown to be incorrect with further exploration. What evidence would falsify the God hypothesis?

edit: Also, the leprechaun story seemed like a pretty good illustration against the idea of organized religion. The author seemed more concerned with showing how people are desperate to feel important in this giant, hollow universe, as opposed to disproving the existence of some creator.
Isn't that the power of religion, giving people the feeling of eternal importance? Why would we try to disprove the existence of Zeus, Ra, or Sagarmatha (You should believe this one for obvious reasons)? That would just be silly and pointless, considering how easy it is for them to say, "No, that's not what I think of as a creator" and continue believing. (And considering there's about 38,000 different denominations of Christianity, that would take a long time because you can only disprove a specifically defined claim, although some probably overlap) And even if you managed to disprove their version of God, they could still manage to believe in spite of the evidence due to the amount of resources invested into the idea.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
(C) @ your first paragraph: Assuming that some intermediate organism between the beginning of time and now existed, it seems reasonable to say that it would be self-sufficient and reproduce in a way that is conducive to its survival. However, that organism cannot be worried about survival if it is infinite. In other words, something had to have preceded it. The thing before it had to have passed on the ability to survive, or at least to reproduce before perishing. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this. From where did the knowledge of how to survive and reproduce originate? Surely not from chaos.
I'm surprised to read this fallacious argument on a game forum, of all places. This is one of the topics where studying games actually helps make the answer apparent.

I'm going to paraphrase a presentation from GDC 2004 about emergent behavior in games in order to illustrate the flaws in your logic.

Let's requote part of your post as a nice starting point:
From where did the knowledge of how to survive and reproduce originate? Surely not from chaos.
The "knowledge" of how to survive and reproduce. Ah, knowledge; the surest sign of intelligence. If an entity is displaying complex behavior, surely it must be acting upon some sort of knowledge that specifically dictates how to perform its complex behavior, yes? Let's explore that:

In Grand Theft Auto III, if you drive a car off a ramp and cause it flip over and land upside down, it will eventually explode. The car will burn and explode, damaging anyone nearby. If it is near a large group of pedestrians, an interesting thing happens. As you crawl away from the wreckage, you will find yourself being mobbed by angry pedestrians. (With the intent to kill you.)

The NPC pedestrians display the complex behavior of a mob lynching someone. Surely this is evidence of their "knowledge" that they should band together to lynch the inconsiderate prick that just put all of their lives in danger by wrecking his car while driving in a reckless and idiotic fashion?

No, it is not. It is complex emergent behavior that arises from the interaction between the very simplistic rules that govern the behavior of the NPC's and their environment. One of the few simple rules that guide NPC pedestrian behavior is "Attack anyone who damages me." When the car explodes, the NPC takes damage. That damage is attributed to the person who last drove the car. (i.e., you.) That one simple rule ("Attack anyone who damages me.") results in a far more complex dynamic: The NPC pedestrians will group together and kill anyone who flips over a car in the street. There is no rule in their programming that says "Kill anyone who flips over a car in the street"; yet they do so.

What's even more interesting, and ironic, is that this emergent behavior is only triggered when chaos is introduced into the system by the player. (i.e., when you, the player, disrupt the NPC's regular routine by crashing your car near them; something that is chaotic and not part of their regular activity.)

The point I'm making here is that even very simple systems can result in complex emergent behaviors that far exceed the actual rules of the system. An animal does not need to "worry" about how to survive, or seek "knowledge" in order to reproduce. This "knowledge" does not need to be inherited from one's ancestors.

It's far simpler than that: complex animal behavior is the result of emergent behavior in response to the rules of their environment.

More importantly, small changes to the rules in a system can have a very profound impact on the emergent behavior that results from that system. So even a tiny evolutionary adaptation that seems negligible at first glance can actually result in extraordinary new emergent behavior due to new interaction with the rules of the environment.

You should look up "emergence". It will help clear up your misunderstanding here.

(F) @ paragraphs 2 and 3: In IP 3 you yourself admit that you don't know much about the Big Bang Theory. How, then, can you support your statements in IP 2 that there is a great deal of evidence pointing to the BBT? I'm not calling you out. I'm just saying - if there's a great deal of evidence of the BBT and it has so much explanatory value, why don't we call it the Big Bang Science? Yea, let's drop that whole tangent. I only brought up the BB as an example of an explanation to the universe anyway. I don't know anything about it.
"Theory", in science, is an accolade; not a term of doubt. Calling it "Big Bang Science" rather than the "Big Bang Theory" would diminish the respect being shown to the concept.

(G) @ paragraphs 4 and 5: Tell me: do you really believe there's a good chance chunks of elements just floated around in space indefinitely, those chunks randomly produced life, and the chunks were never seen again? Again, you brandish the "evidence" card. Apparently, there's "huge swaths of evidence for it"? So scientists have observed these entities of chaos nimbly jetting around in a distant galaxy? Please. It seems to me you're implying that the "chunks of elements" became life, rather than producing it. In other words, the claim is that we are the evolution of things that were eternal, yet we are mortal and finite. Sorry, I just can't harbor that belief under my "Elitist Jerk" skull. :p
At the basic level, we consist of the exact same stuff as everything else in the Universe. The "chunks of elements" that comprise the universe, are, therefore, not distinct from living beings; living beings consist of these "chunks of elements".

At the atomic (or subatomic level), there is no real difference between, say, a Human and a rock. Sure, the arrangements and composition of the building materials are a bit different, but we're still built out of the same fundamental stuff.

When you die, your body will decompose back into those "chunks of elements".

The particular arrangement of matter that we call a "Human" is a temporary and fleeting thing; while the material that comprises that person is eternal and will continue to exist in new configurations long after that person has died. I don't see what is difficult to understand about that.

(H) [And I know there are a million posts after this one - but I need to rest] @ your post: You're overcomplicating my ideas. I'm merely claiming that there must be some origin from which the universe derived itself. Why must we overthink things and talk about rational this and irrational that? My logic is straightforward. Everything you see before you did not come from nothing? What kind of non-divine being could initiate a genesis that would develop into a universe of this magnitude and awesomeness?
The problem here is that your claim is fallacious. There is no basis for claiming that "There must be some origin from which the Universe derived itself." You have no valid basis for making that claim.

You logic certainly is straightforward, but it is also flawed.

The questions you are asking here cannot currently be answered; they are beyond the ken of current human understanding, and, as such, do not allow for any meaningful or valid answers.

GofG

Smash Champion
The big bang does not lead us to any useful conclusions about the universe because the theory merely takes for granted all the scientific knowledge that is available and uses it to build this grand suggestion for how it originated. Theology does essentially the same thing.
Except, without the "takes for granted all scientific knowledge that is available and uses it" part.

Assuming that some intermediate organism between the beginning of time and now existed, it seems reasonable to say that it would be self-sufficient and reproduce in a way that is conducive to its survival. However, that organism cannot be worried about survival if it is infinite. In other words, something had to have preceded it. The thing before it had to have passed on the ability to survive, or at least to reproduce before perishing. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this. From where did the knowledge of how to survive and reproduce originate? Surely not from chaos.
Actually, yes, precisely from chaos. In the very beginning, around the few nanoseconds after the big bang, there were just LOTS of particles. Electrons, protons, neutrons. At some point through random swerving around of these particles, two neutrons and two protons got together and two electrons started orbiting around them. This was a stable configuration (more stable than these protons, electrons, neutrons, being on their own, anyway) so they remained in this position, and have remained in this position until this very day, as a helium atom. However, not a SINGLE loose neutron still exists, and as such this species can be said to have "died out" (although in reality it simply got absorbed into one of more than 200 kinds of stable atoms). It isn't about "reproduction" or "survival" as it is simply about stable states continuing to remain stable.

Now let's imagine that over, say, a dozen billion years, somewhere, pretty much every possible configuration of atoms has occurred. Now, obviously, some of these configurations are simply going to be more stable than others. Those configurations are more common today, and the less stable configurations simply don't exist because they usually break down.

Reproduction isn't necessary at this stage of evolution because there's enough raw materials that, when everything gets sorted, are likely going to end up being used in the formation of a relatively small number of molecules, i.e. only the stable molecules. The step from stable molecules to figures resembling cells similarly does not require reproduction (see previous post regarding hydrophobic lipids and hydrophilic phosphates).

Reproduction gets introduced after the creation of basic single celled life, but before mitochondria comes on the scene. We don't know much about it, but that isn't to say that we should throw evolution out (in fact, if you say that because we can't yet explain the onset of DNA we should throw evolution out, you will look very silly in ten years when we can explain it visa vi God of the Gaps).

Was that so improbable? You know, if I wanted to, I could describe your own belief as "believing in a magical genie that you talk to at night, and if you believe hard enough he'll grant you wishes", but I don't misrepresent your position like that and I'd appreciate if you wouldn't mine.

Furthermore, since infinity never ends, no matter how far into the past we go, we will never reach the originator, unless that originator is infinite. Poignant fact! You get my drift... I've overused the word God, and you'll probably find some other entity that is not intelligent or all-powerful to theoretically be able to perform those tasks. But how confident are you in that theory? And does your heart tell you that's the source of all life? Or is that your defense kicking in?
Why does this infinite thing have to be a being? An agent? Why do you so fervently believe that someone has their hands in the wilful creation of the universe? The alternative, though bleak, is just as likely (50/50 chance that there is no such omniscient being, if I may take a page from your book).

@ 2nd paragraph: See (A). Moreover, I never employed Pascal's wager in my arguments. Pascal's wager urges you to choose God because you have nothing to lose. I have not told anyone to choose God. I've merely been debating His existence. ;)
Pascal's Wager has a lot to do with "If it's 50/50, and one way nothing happens, but the other way you can choose between hell or heaven, why not just believe and the you get to go to heaven or nothing, as opposed to not believing and you get to go to hell or nothing?"

That "50/50" part is the part that bugged me because saying that two things with equal amounts of evidence negating their existence have the same chance of existence is deeply, deeply flawed.

(D) @ the rest of your post: I agree that many ancient religions can be shown to be false by recycling proofs. What makes my prophets more credible or texts more accurate? Well, nothing, to be honest. That's pretty obvious. I just choose to believe them, same way you choose not to (I presume).
You don't choose to believe. You said yourself that your heart "knew" it to be true, and therefore you believe. Trust me, if I were able to believe in Christianity, I would, just as Cypher wanted to go back into the Matrix. I cannot bring myself to believe something that I can so plainly see to be wrong, though.

(E) @ 1st paragraph: Regarding Pascal's, see above (D). Concerning the whole heart thing, that gets into reformed theology, which is the mainsail doctrine for the Christian Presbyterian denomination. You probably don't even want to hear this, but I believe that men and women cannot believe in God unless he chooses them. This has to do with Calvinism and the T.U.L.I.P. interpretation which I won't get into. Yea, I'll stop there for that subject. :ohwell:
Will ignore this bit.

I can tell I know a hell of a lot more about it than you. I only pointed it out because I could tell you didn't know anything about it, AND you're the one who brought it up.

(G) @ paragraphs 4 and 5: Tell me: do you really believe there's a good chance chunks of elements just floated around in space indefinitely,
Yes.

those chunks randomly produced life,
There's nothing random about it. Stable formations will tend to remain stable. Once something stable "randomly" happened, it remained like that forever. Imagine a bunch of pieces falling down from the sky. Obviously they're not going to form a clock. But imagine, you clear the ground of any pieces that are in the wrong position, and then drop a bunch more pieces. It'll probably take a LONG time before you even have one piece in the right place to start building a clock, and a lot longer before you actually have a clock, but it'll take a billionth billionth billionth of the time that it would take before dropping random pieces and then clearing the ground would take to make a clock. I guess there's still a random element to it, yes, but you need to realise we're talking about the former random, not the latter random. If I were arguing that the latter would make a clock, I'd be ****ing crazy as I imagine you imagine me to be.

and the chunks were never seen again?
What? I never said this. There's tons of floating chunks around that aren't part of life. The Moon is a good example.

Again, you brandish the "evidence" card. Apparently, there's "huge swaths of evidence for it"? So scientists have observed these entities of chaos nimbly jetting around in a distant galaxy?
Well yeah. Like, you know. Clouds of helium. Giant chunks of carbon.

Please. It seems to me you're implying that the "chunks of elements" became life, rather than producing it. In other words, the claim is that we are the evolution of things that were eternal, yet we are mortal and finite.
Matter is eternal; you can't create or destroy matter. We are eternal in that the stuff we're made of is eternal. You can burn a table; the wood didn't "vanish", it simply became carbon dioxide and water (organic material + o2 --> HOH + CO2, combustion of organic material). But the table's not there anymore, even though the stuff it's made of is infinite.

We did directly evolve from those first individual subatomic particles (although to call them the "first" is misleading because all the matter that ever existed was all right there at the big bang, and it's all still around and nothing but it), as I've almost fully speculated above.

Maybe not-a-being-at-all? Maybe given the laws of physics and some particles to start out with, all of this would just happen? Which is what Newton proved hundreds of years ago.

gm jack

Smash Lord
(C) @ your first paragraph: Assuming that some intermediate organism between the beginning of time and now existed, it seems reasonable to say that it would be self-sufficient and reproduce in a way that is conducive to its survival. However, that organism cannot be worried about survival if it is infinite. In other words, something had to have preceded it. The thing before it had to have passed on the ability to survive, or at least to reproduce before perishing. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this. From where did the knowledge of how to survive and reproduce originate? Surely not from chaos. Furthermore, since infinity never ends, no matter how far into the past we go, we will never reach the originator, unless that originator is infinite. Poignant fact! You get my drift... I've overused the word God, and you'll probably find some other entity that is not intelligent or all-powerful to theoretically be able to perform those tasks. But how confident are you in that theory? And does your heart tell you that's the source of all life? Or is that your defense kicking in?
So a bacteria makes conscious decisions?

They simply have biochemical pathways that modify their gene expression and protein function in response to stimuli. For more complex organisms, somewhere along the line, it became a very nice idea to have a system designed to compile these changes from all over the pressure. While our sensors work on different mechanisms, it all feeds into a fairly simple (in theory, understanding details is incredibly hard) nervous system where inputs can be combined and subtracted from each other to give combined responses. Learning is just an ability to make and break new connections.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
diakanos, I just wanna say:

huge fan of your marth right here dawg.
Lol thanks bro.

This thread explodes faster than I can keep up ;). I think that's very good. I think it's good that people are trying to inform themselves and arm themselves intellectually, especially on a topic of such fundamental proportions.

I read something about Pascal's Wager. It is largely misunderstood. Pascal was not saying "ah well, IF there's a god i'm gud lulz". Love of God cannot be birthed out of fear of torment; only out of veneration and understanding of a divine being.

I have a proposal. I'm going to make a new thread with my discussion with the very clever (and rather polite) fellow from youtube messaging (it covers a lot of what has already been discussed here) and maybe people can comment on where I erred and where he erred, or where we overlooked things. Arguments like GofG's and chivalruse' were tried and discussed. Naturally (no pun intended), he is an (agnostic) atheist, and I find myself in the pitiful position of a theist.

Does that sound okay?

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
I was raised as a non-denominational Christian and always thought church was very boring. It was shoved down my throat. Now an atheist.

Still do hate going, to this day.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Lol thanks bro.

This thread explodes faster than I can keep up ;). I think that's very good. I think it's good that people are trying to inform themselves and arm themselves intellectually, especially on a topic of such fundamental proportions.

I read something about Pascal's Wager. It is largely misunderstood. Pascal was not saying "ah well, IF there's a god i'm gud lulz". Love of God cannot be birthed out of fear of torment; only out of veneration and understanding of a divine being.

I have a proposal. I'm going to make a new thread with my discussion with the very clever (and rather polite) fellow from youtube messaging (it covers a lot of what has already been discussed here) and maybe people can comment on where I erred and where he erred, or where we overlooked things. Arguments like GofG's and chivalruse' were tried and discussed. Naturally (no pun intended), he is an (agnostic) atheist, and I find myself in the pitiful position of a theist.

Does that sound okay?
It would probably be easier to post it in this thread. Some of these posts could serve as essays in their own right, so I don't think it's too much to put one more long post in.

Pascal's Wager itself is kind of invalid to me, since, being a determinist, the idea of 'choosing' what we can believe in is itself a whole debate.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
well, i dont believe in god, but im also not an atheist. because the universe is chaos, and chaos picks favorites.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
The definition of an atheist is one who does not believe in deities. That leaves a considerable amount of room for different philosophies and opinions though.

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
Do you feel that it's important to foster a co-operative dialogue with religious people and encourage modernist strains of religious interpretation, Or do you believe that it is more important to challenge their beliefs, explain your side, and encourage them to sway towards secularism?

Top Bottom