• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

BEHR

Smash Hero
Nah both post were very helpful haha.

Thanks for the advice in general I know what to work on to be effective with Pika. :]

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Movement, frame perfect nairs(including oos) and threat of upair if You're a gangster shwl upairs easier than it is for pichu and I do it like shffl ease.

Every falcon does something stupid after whiff. Maybe run away, jab, roll, sheild, jump, or go forward they will keep doing it most of the time.

BEHR

Smash Hero
what good videos are out there that are good examples against certain characters.

Mostly Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falco those characters I have the most trouble approaching and coming up with a game plan.

Thanks guys. :]

N64

Smash Champion
safe bet is to search youtube with "axe vs <insert char name>". There are particular ones that i think are good examples, but i can't remember them off the top of my head.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Tac where you the Pikachu I was playing at State?
Sure was. <3 Pretty sure I'm NC's only Pika as well. So I gotta step it up even more.

Approaching Falco is my worst MU for me, seconded by....Marth. I'd check out Apex 2012's crew battle for Axe-Pika vs Tope(?)-Shiek.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Sure was. <3 Pretty sure I'm NC's only Pika as well. So I gotta step it up even more.

Approaching Falco is my worst MU for me, seconded by....Marth. I'd check out Apex 2012's crew battle for Axe-Pika vs Tope(?)-Shiek.
Ah nah mann im coming on the rise.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I wish I had pika's wavedash as pichu YOu might be able to shield sdi falco's dair shine so that his shine whiffs for a free grab like when I fight him as falcon.

up-upair eats falco alive as pichu is all I have to say on how to think in terms of postioning

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Ah nah mann im coming on the rise.
I'm liking that plan a lot, lehgo~

Unsure on the frames, but is Falcon's grab quicker? I have trouble doing anything but uair/usmash OoS even if falco shine whiffs. Whiffed grab usually punished by another dair or such.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Everyone is a frame 7 grab but, bowser, ness, dk, zedla, samus, yoshi,yl, and link.

Dair has a 9 frame l cancel i believe with 7 frames of shield stun so it's -2 on shield and -3 when shinewhiffs with the next fastest option being jc shine/mulit shine which would take 5 frames to jump and he's at -8 so You're just off amussing he's double shining and for the grab Ou're a bit frther off and if he is doing nair it's 7 frame l cancel same stun so it's at 0 - shine the whiffed shine and jump so you'd be at a disadtage if he's frame perfect fresh never used nair which I highly doubt.

dkuo

Smash Lord
it's aite, probably one of my more preferred stages. the low plats kind of interrupt sh nair but it does that for anyone anyways (making them more liable to uair!)
lots of gimp space, not too high ceiling, and when the plats retract its kind of like a mini-fd

i know n64 likes fod a lot

i think my pika is worse than my sheik now :(

BEHR

Smash Hero
FoDs ceiling seems so high to me like just the stage makes me go for kills on the side with gimps, and yea the Uair with the plats does seem to help.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Same, think it's aite. I feel like the lowered plats open him up for even harder punishes if you whiff. I don't have much issue with the ceiling, though. Thunder combos are the only thing that suffer I'd say, and other than that there's plenty of side recovery/gimp space.

dkuo

Smash Lord
oh yeah the really low bottom blastzone means you're more likely to recover from spikes and meteors :D which is pretty sick

and yeah i guess fod's ceiling is kinda high x_x my mistake

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Match-up based I'd love to take falcon to FoD as pichu he can't really approach during most parts nor escape but like wise I would hate to take puff there if avoidable.

WHO WAS BOXMAN!!!!!!

N64

Smash Champion
I do indeed like FoD a lot. Mostly preference though. I like using the changing platforms (dsmashing on them, ducking under them, uthrow chaining fastfallers when they're down), bthrowing people off from pretty much anywhere, etc.

I think pika benefits from the stage in certain matchups, but not all of them.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
This character is rather difficult to abandon...

Also I personally hate FoD, but I see a few ways in which it could be a very good stage for pika. There's also the fact that I just hate it with every character =\

dkuo

Smash Lord
im 15 mins from the shady grove metro station (although im actually a falco main)

shadocat is in va but idk how close he is to dc. kinda far away i imagine

also there's a pm pika player that showed up at xanadu a few months ago...dont remember his tag

Rainbow

Smash Apprentice
i mean its not like im moving to the montanas or the deep south or something but going from the holy land of smash (as far as tournies go) to DC feels kind of bad.

dkuo

Smash Lord
the scene here isnt too bad, we have weekly events at xanadu with a bigger event per month, but not too much else haha

also you should join the mdva smash group if you're looking for more players to play with. there are some dc players there i believe

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
axe is a jerk
he'll sit on a platform shielding in friendlies then when you hit him he'll shield drop -> kill you every time

AXE 09

Smash Master
Hahaha you guys :)

Shield dropping with Pika is very useful, and it's actually not as hard as you guys might think. It just takes practice.

dkuo

Smash Lord
and an optimal controller!

i cant shielddrop for my life with my old controller but the one i borrowed from my cousin i can shielddrop with all day

AXE 09

Smash Master
Controller DOES matter for shield dropping. I can shield drop easily with some controllers, but others I can't shield drop for my life lol

dkuo

Smash Lord
it depends with old controllers but fresh controllers always shield drop really well for me. it mostly has to do with good controller calibration
1. unworn octagonal gate (you can usually fix a worn gate by replacing the top plastic piece)
2. properly centered joystick (for a worn stick you'll either have to solder on a new stick or be amazing with controller reset => manual calibration)

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I don't play pika at all but I don't think you should be too worried about link in today's meta. Sounds like Falco is the answer to that problem.
it depends with old controllers but fresh controllers always shield drop really well for me. it mostly has to do with good controller calibration
1. unworn octagonal gate (you can usually fix a worn gate by replacing the top plastic piece)
2. properly centered joystick (for a worn stick you'll either have to solder on a new stick or be amazing with controller reset => manual calibration)
could you expand on point 2.? How does one go about doing that

dkuo

Smash Lord
I generally don't like swordsmen. I also know the sheik matchup isn't all in pikachu's favor. So, Marth, link, and sheik.
fox plays more like pika and would flow more easily if you main pika
but IMO falco does better vs all three of them <_<

also consider sheik if you don't mind sheik dittos

i suggest learning the MU vs marth and link though. very doable as pika

I don't play pika at all but I don't think you should be too worried about link in today's meta. Sounds like Falco is the answer to that problem.

could you expand on point 2.? How does one go about doing that
hold x+y+start for a few seconds > put your controller in the center position > release one of x/y/start
you have to do this in game every time you plug in btw which is why its very unreliable

if youre talking about soldering on a new one i cant help you there lol. look up soldering and stuff

I'm always scared to do any kind of manual calibration because I feel like it could screw up your other tech skill.
yea id advise against it. i used to do it for my triggers cuz they always lightshielded, and i could do it with my control stick pretty well since it was just a hair too low

Top Bottom