• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple SONIC RELATED question, get an answer. Noobs come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxob

Smash Champion
We don't need thousands of threads about the same crap, ask me a question and I'm sure that if not me, Tenki, or someone else cool should be able to help you out.

FAQ:

What is Steak all about?

Steak is among many /S/ Memes. The origin of which is through one of our past regular posters. KirbyAndSonicRock14 (referenced to as KASR) who exclaimed that we should go on a winning streak with Sonic to boost his Tier position. Either he took English as a second language or he had really poor motor skills because that guy had a typo every other word. He wrote 'winning steak', instead of streak. Being that he was amazing, we take heed of his wise words and try to win as much steak as possible. Some people are jealous and may express anger about steak being stupid and unproductive, or repetitive. They're just jealous that they can't understand the steak like some us do. Learn to steak, and the win is yours.

What is the difference in the SideB and the DownB? And what are all those crazy acronyms about?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170844 That. It isn't a simple answer, so I'm sorry. But there's too much for me to explain, that thread covers every known detail about both moves, go there.

How do I fight character X with Sonic?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161598 We're working on it.

What's with some people putting Pokemon after their post?

Well, Haunter's just sexy, it's kinda almost caught on here on the boards, I just started posting Haunter after everything and some (few) people followed suit. It'd be cool if all you noobs could do it too, just try to make it so no one uses the same one as another person.

That's all for now.

:093:

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
ooo, ooo! Pick me! I have a question about Spin Cancels...I use them a lot, but I also spin a lot, too. Smashers are hard to find for me, and so I practice these against CPU's, but I wanna know if you can really use them as often as I do (which is quite often indeed, like as one of my approaches). Input?

Boxob

Smash Champion
ooo, ooo! Pick me! I have a question about Spin Cancels...I use them a lot, but I also spin a lot, too. Smashers are hard to find for me, and so I practice these against CPU's, but I wanna know if you can really use them as often as I do (which is quite often indeed, like as one of my approaches). Input?
Well if you're going to use spin dash as an approach every time, they'll obviously catch on after the first two.

Canceling the spin is good for mindgames. Example: Run right outside of their range > Shield canceled SideB > Wait for response > Attack.

Generally you want to mix up your approach with things like actually running, spinshotting, and running.

Running twice for good luck.

:093:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Are you talking about a sheild cancelled spin dash or ASC?

Edit: I just saw Boxob's post, never mind...

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Are you talking about a sheild cancelled spin dash or ASC?

Edit: I just saw Boxob's post, never mind...
Yeah, I use both. I like making the spin sound, I think it scares ppl into reacting. Back to Boxob: I see...I never really just run in unless for a spin dash cancel > roll back (or forward: if you do it quickly it kinda looks and sounds like his running dash attack, only he simply rolls behind them). I also generally back off for much of the match, I'm not as aggressive as I think I should be. A Spinshot approach sounds like a good idea, I think I'll try that. Oh, one more: I tend to use nair and fair the most, is that a good idea? I try and save bair for a finisher (unless necessary).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
f-air and n-air are good for damage, and follow ups,

back air and up air, are good for damage follow ups and killing

down air is for mindgames

you just have to make your own style for how you use all five.

only be aggressive if you can get away with it, if you are getting out prioritised every time you try to get into a rythym than its not worth it

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, one more: I tend to use nair and fair the most, is that a good idea? I try and save bair for a finisher (unless necessary).
Yes, that's fine.

Just know when it's necessary to use U-air. I disliked U-air because of its damage, but it still has its uses for keeping your momentum.

Saving for a B-air as a kill move is... I guess it's useful, but just keep these numbers in mind (and these were on Marth, from the center of Final Destination):

Damage is first given without DI, and with best possible DI.

Fsmash : 110% [135% with up-towards DI]
Dsmash (first hit): 120% [145% with up-towards DI]
B-air: 125% (sweet spot) [155% with up-towards DI] (can star KO lower if U-DI'd in midair)

Technically, of the 'big 3', B-air is the weakest, and I find more success with a mindgamed F-smash/D-smash, but if you're planning to go for an off-stage kill and you're good at aiming the B-air, then sure, go for it.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Rare, Medium or Well done?

My main method of recovery with Sonic is air spinshot --> Spring when I still have my second jump. However, on some occasions, I've tried this...and I've not realised that I've been facing the wrong way and spinshot right into the stage boundry and killed myself. Scrubby I know.

When I do notice this, is there any way to change the way I'm facing besides doing a B reversal Homing attack which really isn't a very practical idea? I spinshot with Down + B (I've tried it with Side + B but it doesn't seem to work as well). If there is a way to change my direction in the air or spin shot with Side + B, could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Tenki

Smash Hero
Rare, Medium or Well done?

My main method of recovery with Sonic is air spinshot --> Spring when I still have my second jump. However, on some occasions, I've tried this...and I've not realised that I've been facing the wrong way and spinshot right into the stage boundry and killed myself. Scrubby I know.

When I do notice this, is there any way to change the way I'm facing besides doing a B reversal Homing attack which really isn't a very practical idea? I spinshot with Down + B (I've tried it with Side + B but it doesn't seem to work as well). If there is a way to change my direction in the air or spin shot with Side + B, could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Spinshot takes away your double jump, so I don't know how you pull that off, unless you mean Spinshot > spring (and spring is your "second jump") lol.

Side-B spinshot is all timing- you have to hit Attack or Jump as soon as you release B. When I do it (Gamecube controller, default except tapjump off), I hold side-B for 1 second, then slide to A.

otherwise, if you can only down-B spinshot, then using HA to turn you around is all you have.

Anyway, side-B > double jump goes way further and is much less predictable than full-velocity spinshot, so why not just do that? lol

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Spinshot takes away your double jump, so I don't know how you pull that off, unless you mean Spinshot > spring (and spring is your "second jump") lol.

Side-B spinshot is all timing- you have to hit Attack or Jump as soon as you release B. When I do it (Gamecube controller, default except tapjump off), I hold side-B for 1 second, then slide to A.

otherwise, if you can only down-B spinshot, then using HA to turn you around is all you have.

Anyway, side-B > double jump goes way further and is much less predictable than full-velocity spinshot, so why not just do that? lol
A grounded spinshot doesn't take away your 2nd jump though does it? I know you can only jump once in the air when recovering which is generally when I do Down + B --> Spring

The Side B method sounds much more practical...I'll try that out. Cheers

Edit: My scrub senses tell me I've got terms mixed up...is a Spinshot specifically aerial firing only?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Oh...right, hang on now I'm confused :urg:. This is how I 'Spinshot' on the ground.

I press Down + B for about a second. I then press up on the C Stick which is set to smash attacks. This causes Sonic to do a curved, arched spin in the air (he goes up and then falls to the floor whilst travelling horizontally) that goes about 8/10ths of FD. You can 2nd jump out of this when performed on the ground at any time you like. Sonic is in his 'blue spikey' state - if he connects with someone whilst in it, they get hit. You can do this in the air but you need your 2nd jump and you can't hurt anyone should you fly into them in the air

What is it that I'm explaining? :confused:

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Oh...right, hang on now I'm confused :urg:. This is how I 'Spinshot' on the ground.

I press Down + B for about a second. I then press up on the C Stick which is set to smash attacks. This causes Sonic to do a curved, arched spin in the air (he goes up and then falls to the floor whilst travelling horizontally) that goes about 8/10ths of FD. You can 2nd jump out of this when performed on the ground at any time you like. Sonic is in his 'blue spikey' state - if he connects with someone whilst in it, they get hit. You can do this in the air but you need your 2nd jump and you can't hurt anyone should you fly into them in the air

That would be a JC'd grounded spin charge.

Tenki

Smash Hero

No no, that's not even a spinshot.
We call it SDJ (spin dash jump).

Spinshot has no attack aura - it's an instant double jump that has no attack aura at all, but moves at running speed for the majority of the time.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Actually,it isn't "jump cacelled" until he hits the jump button as it still has a hit box just like a grounded Spin Charge,so,it's a spin dash jump.

since we're on the topic of spin dash jumps,who uses them,except to combo into airials?

The longest one is sorta like a grounded Spinshot except slow and with a hit box.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996

Pressing A has the same effect as pushing up on the C-stick for that spin jump you're doing, I'd suggest that instead.

I do both Down+B aerial spinshot (can only be done in the air anyway) AND the side-B spinshot. While the side-B is harder to time (for someone w/o much practice; I can do it pretty consistently, sometimes on impulse), it also is the most versatile, as you can turn around and do it both in the air and on the ground. I do the side-B one by holding B for a bit then letting go and smashing down on the C stick. For either spinshot, you always lose your second jump. Also, there are instances where a grounded Down+B > spin dash jump (A or jump) would be more useful, as it actually goes farther and can combo into another attack. :psycho:

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
kind of a general question but how is fox's blaster refreshes his moves from being stale (i asked it horribly sorry) and i heard that when charizard keeps grabbing and grabbing it refreshes his moves set too so how exactly does this work??

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
kind of a general question but how is fox's blaster refreshes his moves from being stale (i asked it horribly sorry) and i heard that when charizard keeps grabbing and grabbing it refreshes his moves set too so how exactly does this work??
Stale moves go through a cycle. There's a 9 move "bank" that stores the stale move.

So , for example, you f-smash. Now it has decayed a bit.
Shoot the blaster 9 times. Counts as 9 attacks.
The decayed f-smash has been pushed out of the "bank", thus it has been refreshed.

BTW, do grab pummels count?

Tenki

Smash Hero
XD

I think the general rule of thumb was that moves are 'staled' if they're within your last 9 moves.

So Fox needs to shoot 9 times, or you need to pummel/attack 9 times to 'push' the move you want out of the supposed 'stale move list' to fully refresh your move.

Example:
You land a F-smash, but it didn't kill. You grab and pummel 6 times, hit with a spindash, F-air, and a U-air. F-smash should be fresh again.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
wait wait.

wtf isn't this sonic specific?

box edit the title to be a sonic specific thread. who gives two ****s about charizard or fox

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Memphis is still allowed here. He could give false info to the n00bs. He would do that sort of thing.
That, or he would just flame them...to death...on a grill...with a juicy steak...

Tenki

Smash Hero
wait wait.

wtf isn't this sonic specific?

box edit the title to be a sonic specific thread. who gives two ****s about charizard or fox
Just assume he meant to ask if Sonic had something that could refresh moves too.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Memphis is still allowed here. He could give false info to the n00bs. He would do that sort of thing.
Memphis: "Do a homing attack into Ike fsmash, it will outprioritize it."

Lol, haha.

About stale moves, do multihit attacks count as one attack or as several? Because in that case ASC combo's, and well, Fair, would be awesome at unstaling moves. I think the answer is that it counts as one attack, but I'm not sure and thus I iz askin.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I think we need like a ... warning new Sonic Board member approaching thread that informs people who they're getting involved with... perhaps Umby can put little summaries of the quirky characteristics of each sonic board regular on his sonic finder thread.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think we need like a ... warning new Sonic Board member approaching thread that informs people who they're getting involved with... perhaps Umby can put little summaries of the quirky characteristics of each sonic board regular on his sonic finder thread.
Hah, that would be a little much don't you think? I mean, this isn't Match.com. But I guess it's safe to warn about Memphis...

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
that would ruin everything

and you all feel the same way, i just can't handle these ******* anymore.
i'm trying to clean up this place.

im going green for the sonic boards

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
lmao

memphischains: n00b killer
Boxob: ****
Tenki: Created Sonic
Puffball: **** 2.0
Napilopez: genius
Rooooy: win
camalange: he's just there.
kirbyandsonicrock: fail
thecatinthehat: win 2.0

Too lazy to go on lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
that would ruin everything

and you all feel the same way, i just can't handle these ******* anymore.
i'm trying to clean up this place.

im going green for the sonic boards
Thats true...it seems like they're getting worse than ever. Fricken SonicX1234whatever just revived like 5 dead threads today, and we got about 4 threads within the past days on "WATZ DA DEFERENCE BETWIN THE SIDE BEE AND THE DOWN BEE? TEH ONE JUST HOPZ RITE?"

dark_Illusion_hokage

Smash Apprentice
Ok, im having trouble with a wolf, AND IT'S NOT B SPAM!

This wolf is the best i have ever played, he basically has a pattern from 0-50% where he will spam bair>fast fall and then follow up with an fsmash, then when im above 50% he plays like any other wolf but still has a lot more bairs.
He NEVER uses his neutral b so i don't need any help with that.

What i usually try to do is sheild grab but the fsmash usually makes him out of range, then sometimes i will set him up into trap like an SJC into sheild / reverse grab, or spinshot spring dair/ homing attack. He falls for it sometimes but he usually can escape, so what i really want to know is how the heck am i gonna get around the wolf besides edge guarding (i already have that down)?

HALPZ :mad:

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
yeah so sftu and help me be a flame modz
OMG....you have no idea.

Whenever you're offline, like 5 of the others go agro and start flaming n00bs.

You're like fucking Elvis Presley, and the rest are the impersonators.

edit:
Ok, im having trouble with a wolf, AND IT'S NOT B SPAM!

This wolf is the best i have ever played, he basically has a pattern from 0-50% he will spam bair>fast fall and then follow up with an fsmash, then when im above 50% he usually just plays like any other wolf but still has a lot more bairs. He NEVER uses his neutral b so i don't need any help with that.
What i usually try to do is sheild grab but his fsmash usually make him out of range, then sometimes i will set him up into trap like an SJC into sheild / reverse grab, or spinshot spring dair/ homing attack. He falls for it sometimes but he usually can escape, so what i really want to know is how the heck am i gonna get around the wolf besides edge guarding (i already have that down)?

HALPZ :mad:

lol wtf? where did you come from?

What can I say.......dodge more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom