• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
nair is your best friend.
learn to bucket break.
you usually kill with fair/dair. smashes are harder to hit on smarter opponents.

always go for dat 9.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I have a question!

so i main olimar and im really REALLY attracted to the MU numbers that are GaW adv

peach 65-35
rob 65-35
luigi 70-30
falco 60-40
ness 70-30

im would like to get serious with GaW and i was wondering if there could be any pointers you could give me that you wish you would have been given when starting GaW. that is all
put that bair on repeat. and uair your troubles away.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Yeah so I put all the videos I need critiquing on in the video critique thread so check em out guys. sorry for double post.

Denti

Smash Master
thats helpful stuff about the smashes don't work on smarter opponents. and i can already bucket break... its a good thing :D

anything specific on those MUs i should know? like what stages i should very much avoid.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
thats helpful stuff about the smashes don't work on smarter opponents. and i can already bucket break... its a good thing :D

anything specific on those MUs i should know? like what stages i should very much avoid.
Just read the MU threads and start learning the hardest ones first. As for stages it just depends who your playing. Like you dont want to take diddy to FD, or Marth to Battlefield.

Denti

Smash Master
Im only interested in MUs that help out my olimar. from what i understand diddy is harder for you guys so i'd never do GaW diddy lol. but thx. i'll read those threads.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
peach 65-35
rob 65-35
luigi 70-30
falco 60-40
ness 70-30
peach 60-40
rob 60-40
luigi 65-35
falco 50-50
ness 60-40

I corrected the matchup numbers for you. G&W does not have the huge advantage you think he does against the characters you listed. I find that some of those matchups tend to "even" when I play against very skilled opponents.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Since we are on matchup discussions...how about D3?

I mainly play against a D3 player and a Lucas/Ness/TLink player. The D3 player is an excellent Dedede and recently I have started playing GnW because he could 3 stock my GDorf with no problems.

What tips can you give me on approaching/launching D3? Right now I find that a FH Bair is not punishable by D3's ftilt if properly spaced, but I am still having problems getting him in the air. The match consists of him rolling around the stage and shielding my bairs (never more than one in a row because he knows they decimate shields), but he plays a good enough turtle that he just waits for me to mess up and usually gets a good 30% on me before I can get control back.
Camping DDD with Chef actually works. On BF, he's also a tall enough character for you to D-tilt from above platforms, and Fullhopped aerials in general are really good vs him.

Splice

Smash Hero
peach 60-40
rob 60-40
luigi 65-35
falco 50-50
ness 60-40
Since when was Ness 60-40 LOL?
Come on, ROB and Peach are definitely not on the same level of ease as Ness. I play one of the better Ness's, one of the few chars my region actually has a really good main of, and I find beginner Peach players about as difficult.

I would also comment on ROB and why it's harder than Ness, but I think I really need someone to give me some pointers (dot points) on how to beat ROB...

So yeah that's my question, ROB MU help please?

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
ROB MU...I am not sure about his matchup from GnW's point of view, but I learned alot against him when I played as GDorf.

His gyro disappears if you shield it. This is good because his glide toss is friggen ridiculous.

His charged laser has a ton of pushback when shielded. But why are you shielding it? Bucket it.

You might be able to bucket his fsmash. Not sure on that though.

ROB can spotdodge to downsmash with pretty much no frames in between: space your moves properly.

ROB has powerful aerials, but most have atrocious starting lag. Do not be predictable and you will do fine.

That is all I have off the top of my head.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
i believe that question has been answered before, but im way too lazy to look for it.
basically rob gets ***** by nair and bair. FF'd nairs work wonders vs rob. shield his gyros, and they'll disapear, learn to powershield his laser. rob is a very telegraphed and predictable character, you should be able to read everything he's gunna do.

plus when he UP-Bs, it's basically a free Judgement, as rob can't airdodge out of his up-b forcing him to nair or do any other aerial.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
there's been some talk of gaw's planking abilities in the 'tactical' boards. i'm wondering if the gaw boards have ever thought of 'going gay' and hard-pursuing the plank? dmg seems to be 'the' advocate for planking with wario, and it seems the tactic has helped propelled wario to higher tiers...

just a thought.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, there was about a year gap I had no access to Smashboards. What is this planking/scrooging I keep hearing about?

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
there's been some talk of gaw's planking abilities in the 'tactical' boards. i'm wondering if the gaw boards have ever thought of 'going gay' and hard-pursuing the plank? dmg seems to be 'the' advocate for planking with wario, and it seems the tactic has helped propelled wario to higher tiers...

just a thought.
To be honest, there was about a year gap I had no access to Smashboards. What is this planking/scrooging I keep hearing about?

iirc, planking is when you have the percentage/stock advantage and you abuse the invincibility frames on the ledge by constantly regrabbing (until your opponent makes a mistake in approaching and gets punished, and the planking is reset). if the time runs out and you still have the percentage/stock advantage, you win.

no idea what scrooging is, but i assume its the same thing...

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
scrooging from what i heard is basically players gliding under the stage and stalling.

Splice

Smash Hero
so no thoughts on the 'gaw gone plank'?
UTD Zac did it vs ADHD and it worked very well iirc.
GaW is pretty good at planking imo. Nair reaches quite far in to the stage too.

Kewl thanks for the help. I mainly wanted to know which moves in which situations, I thought sheilding the gyro was common knowledge :p Thankyou.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Speak of invincibility frames on his up B, if you are shielding an MK's tornado, can you up B from the shield and knock him out of it?

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
It works in rare cases, but it's best to UpB to pop him in the air and juggle him.

Splice

Smash Hero
To be honest, I would think GnW would be the best at it o.o Invincibility frames on his Up B and all.
Well with MK having invincibility frames on his Up B too and also his ledge dropped Nair iirc, I don't think GaW has won the competition yet.

Also don't double post, just edit, coz i cbf multiquoting you.
Or multiquoting anyone for that matter...

@Anonymous Brawler: Yes, there are so many moves that can punish the turtle. MK and Marths UpB's, Grabs (you can be grabbed out of Bair) and some other stuff. You should UpB cancel your Bair before/when it ends to avoid most moves, but Marth and MKs UpB's and Grabs and a bunch of less obvious moves are probably going to always get you if you hit with anything more than the very tip of the turtle.

Banhammer whats ISJR stand for?

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Well with MK having invincibility frames on his Up B too and also his ledge dropped Nair iirc, I don't think GaW has won the competition yet.

Also don't double post, just edit, coz i cbf multiquoting you.
Or multiquoting anyone for that matter...

@Anonymous Brawler: Yes, there are so many moves that can punish the turtle. MK and Marths UpB's, Grabs (you can be grabbed out of Bair) and some other stuff. You should UpB cancel your Bair before/when it ends to avoid most moves, but Marth and MKs UpB's and Grabs and a bunch of less obvious moves are probably going to always get you if you hit with anything more than the very tip of the turtle.

Banhammer whats ISJR stand for?
Infinite Second Jump Recovery. there ya go banhammer http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
@Anonymous Brawler: Yes, there are so many moves that can punish the turtle. MK and Marths UpB's, Grabs (you can be grabbed out of Bair) and some other stuff.
But I tought the turtle shield poked them before they could shield grab me :confused:

And is uair any usefull? I never use it, only when my opponent is in free fall state above me.

Edit: And when do you guys use judgment? I never hit my opponent, and when I hit it's always a 1 :ohwell:

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
G&W can easily get grabbed or punished out of bair (whether you land or not). You'll find this happens more and more when you play against pro players or DDD mains.

As for uair, this is one of G&W's best setups into his killing moves. As the opponent falls back to the ground, you can short-hop uair then fast fall, land, and cancel the attack so it doesn't send them so high. This will mess up their timing of landing back on the ground which makes connecting smashes on them a lot easier. I find this even works on pro players. You just have to mix it up.

Also uair is good just to use often. There's no downside for you (the G&W) to hit the opponent with the windbox. Even though they don't take damage you are still gaining back decay. I've had a few matches where I noticed the opponent was at 150% so I just spammed uair 9 times and dair-ed him for the kill.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
As for uair, this is one of G&W's best setups into his killing moves. As the opponent falls back to the ground, you can short-hop uair then fast fall, land, and cancel the attack so it doesn't send them so high. This will mess up their timing of landing back on the ground which makes connecting smashes on them a lot easier. I find this even works on pro players. You just have to mix it up.
I'll try that. And how do you punish MK's tornado? I've saw it somewhere but I don't remember. I think it said to use up B, but im not sure.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Chef -> Judgement.

I do not remember where I saw it, but a good strategy is to hop retreat while using chef and rush forward. Either your opponent gives up ground or braves a sausage to the face.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The only ISJR trick that matters for G&W is the perfect autocanceled ledgehop F-air. Which is actually DOABLE.

Top Bottom