• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
DI-ing correctly AND bucket braking takes a lot of getting used to. Like you pointed out, if you try to DI and hold a direction then try to nair, sometimes it will do a different aerial (not nair). The trick is to hold a direction before you get hit.

For example, let's say you are fighting a Diddy. You are at high percent and about to land back on the stage. Diddy is waiting for you. As you land you sense something is going to go wrong (this comes with experience) and you hold up. Holding up in this case is the best way to DI. All of Diddy's best kill options are going to send you horizontally. As you get hit (or feel the rumble), you let go of the control stick and start spamming nair. Once nair comes up you buffer a bucket.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
So I must predict with kill move my opponent will hit me?
But if he can kill from the ceiling and sides? And I can momentum cancel with all characters (that I main), the only real problem is DI.

Also I have nobody to pratice with (I do have friends that play Brawl, but they don't even know how to shield, roll or spotdoge :laugh:)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I can't, for the life of me, figure out how this is done. =(
The trick is perfectly buffering a frame perfect double jump F-air, and you KNOW you have done this successfully because done correctly, you will not hear the sound clip for G&W's midair jump.

You actually have a lot of leeway (10 frames?) to dangle in the air while ledgedropping, and then you can input your ledgehop F-air within that window to get a perfect autocancel. The hardest part is just buffering the aerial instantly after the midair jump.

I will put up a video of me against VIceGrip eventually where I do it twice, and it helps me a lot, because the first time, it lets me string/mindgame into a tilt, and the second time I use my restored midair jump to evade him.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Can you reword that using steps?

Step 1: Grab the ledge.
Step 2: ????
Step 3: PROFIT

That's where I'm getting confused. I understand the difficulty of this, and I think I can pull it off with ease. I just have no idea where to start and what steps I need to do.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i can do it half the times now...it's hard to explain tho lol >.<
it's only helped me once so far but i can see that it has potential

why hasn't there been a vid of this yet?D:,
A2 put it up nao!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Step 1: Grab the ledge
Step 2: Ledgedrop pressing backwards lightly
Step 3: Make sure you're doing this calmly, since you can wait what feels like a maximum of 10 frames before inputting the ledgehop F-air
Step 4: Quickly input a jump and IMMEDIATELY afterwards a F-air
Step 5: Did you hear G&W's midair jump? If not, retreat to the ledge unless this knocks your opponent out of range.
Step 6: You didn't hear the midair jump, so now you can jump into your opponent's face with inpunity and know that they will more often than not get hit by this. Did you sweetspot this or sourspot? If you sourspotted, how meaty was your hit?
Step 7: Now is the perfect chance to either make a midair jump to wherever you want to go or to deploy a ground move. If you really want to, you can D-air, but I don't see that being extremely useful.
Step 8: ??????
Step 9: PROFIT!

EDIT: There, 9 steps. =)

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I'm still lost somewhat. It sounds like all you are doing is dropping away from the ledge, jumping, and inputting a fair asap. If so what's the point?

Step 1: Grab the ledge
Step 2: Drop from the ledge
Step 3: ASAP input a jump.
Step 4: ASAP input a fair.
Step 5: Move back on the stage?
Step 6: Jump again?

???

An important note: The input to "drop away from the ledge" cannot be buffered. When you grab the ledge, it locks you there for some number of frames. If you try to input the "drop away" command before it unlocks you, then nothing will happen. You cannot buffer this. This applies to all characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yes that is exactly what you're supposed to do. You drop away from the ledge and input a jump + F-air ASAP. However the window between ledgedropping and jumping is actually forgiving. The strict window is between Jumping and F-air.

After that, it depends on what part of the F-air hits your opponent, and then you decide from there what you will do when you are about to land.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
How do I do it? I have a SD card, but I don't know how to put it in the PC.

EDIT: I've saw a level 9 using it too. And he WASN'T grounded, he was recovering. And I didn't hit it with any moves,I was taunting 'cause I knew it couldn't recover. Then it uses two up Bs in a row...
If we discover how to do it, do you think that G&W would be the best offstage stage characther?

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
How do I do it? I have a SD card, but I don't know how to put it in the PC.

EDIT: I've saw a level 9 using it too. And he WASN'T grounded, he was recovering. And I didn't hit it with any moves,I was taunting 'cause I knew it couldn't recover. Then it uses two up Bs in a row...
If we discover how to do it, do you think that G&W would be the best offstage stage characther?
send it to UTD Zac or someone alike. they'll have it up quickly.

zeldarkness

Smash Rookie
hey I'm still getting confused by this site a bit but i wanted to know how the friend finder works, do i need to have friends on here in order to get a brawl? or can i brawl anyone? please help me I'd really appreciate it, my friend finder won't work :(

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I sent this to you in a PM. Other people can reference it if similar questions pop up.

Save (or copy) the replay to your SD card. Put the SD card in your computer and goto this directory:

private / wii / app / rsbe / rp /

You should be able to find it there. Then you can send it to me.

However, I can probably already tell you how you got your UpB back. If after you UpB, you get hit by an attack (including ANY windbox) or somebody footstools off of you, you can drop the parachute and UpB a second time.

Example of attacks that give back G&W's UpB:
Mario downB, Link sideB, Fox B, GW UpB, GW uair, Sheik UpB, Pit UpB, Squirtle B, Snake B, Ness DownB, Ganon utilt, DDD's B, Kirby's B, Warioman's Usmash

Example videos showing how footstool gives back UpB:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ELQm_5SzM
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmdzJXy0-Y

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
However, I can probably already tell you how you got your UpB back. If after you UpB, you get hit by an attack (including ANY windbox) or somebody footstools off of you, you can drop the parachute and UpB a second time.

Example of attacks that give back G&W's UpB:
Mario downB, Link sideB, Fox B, GW UpB, GW uair, Sheik UpB, Pit UpB, Squirtle B, Snake B, Ness DownB, Ganon utilt, DDD's B, Kirby's B, Warioman's Usmash
I don't think that is what happened. I was TAUNTING when the cpu up B twice. And the other one I was hitting an Olimar whit judgment when that happened.
I'll send it anyway.

EDIT: I've sended it via MSN. Open your E-mail
EDIT 2: I was watching my replays again and the olimar VS G&W really was a footstool, but my D3 VS level 9 G&W wasn't a footstool. I'm pretty sure about it. I was very far from him when it happened

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
this is exactly what i was thinking, but then i noticed he said he was taunting. i don't know of any taunt that has windboxes. lol. which is what brought me spark to want to see this.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I don't think that is what happened. I was TAUNTING when the cpu up B twice. And the other one I was hitting an Olimar whit judgment when that happened.
I'll send it anyway.

EDIT: I've sended it via MSN. Open your E-mail
EDIT 2: I was watching my replays again and the olimar VS G&W really was a footstool, but my D3 VS level 9 G&W wasn't a footstool. I'm pretty sure about it. I was very far from him when it happened
I got both replays. Just FYI, I never use my hotmail.com email address, next time send to @gmail.com email address (the first part is the same). Anyway, i'll test them out when I get home later today... in less than 6 hrs... lol.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
I got both replays. Just FYI, I never use my hotmail.com email address, next time send to @gmail.com email address (the first part is the same). Anyway, i'll test them out when I get home later today... in less than 6 hrs... lol.
Next time I'll use the right one.
EDIT: The replay on rainbown cruise wasn't a footstool right? Because I even wasn't in the air. I'm very hypped to see your answer.
Edit 2: Please answer D=

highfive

Smash Lord
Question:

I was hit by G&W's windbox from his Uair as MK while starting up my Shuttle Loop. I instantly got knocked off the top screen with only 43% Is this normal?

BladeWise

Smash Lord
quick question:

Is it possible to stale a G&W bucket?
does it depend on what it absorbs?

ie, absorbing 3 falco lasers and using bucket -> stale bucket (even if next one is 3 pk fires ???)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Furthermore, absorbing itself stales, and absorbing a stale projectile gives a weaker final project, as I remember.

The bucket being part of the stales move queue isnt all that bad; it takes up three spaces of the stale moves queue if you grab all at once (PK Fire pillar), and that's three non-bucket moves that are refreshed. Not to mention, the bucket stays over stocks, so when you come back fresh, so is your bucket.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I have a question for you! Ness' windbox from PSI Magnet can reflect Snake's C4 if he tries to recover.

Can GaW do it too? I'd be really curious to see if he could.

SorryAboutYourDaughter

Smash Rookie
I noticed when spam-grabbing a Marth today that I slid with Game & Watch's jab. This, I would bet everything, came from sliding in with his shield, trying to grab. I'm not to sure about tilts, though. Sorry for the lack of info.

TofuToph

Smash Journeyman
Question:

I was hit by G&W's windbox from his Uair as MK while starting up my Shuttle Loop. I instantly got knocked off the top screen with only 43% Is this normal?
The air from G&W's uAir can kill you off the top by pushing you into the killzone so you'll die at any percent.

izzy24

Smash Ace
here's something i been asking myself for a while, what happens when u brake some1's shield and theyr falling with the no-DI broken shield animation and u upair them, can u do this w/o letting them touch the ground or escaping? it would be pretty lulz if u could do this

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
here's something i been asking myself for a while, what happens when u brake some1's shield and theyr falling with the no-DI broken shield animation and u upair them, can u do this w/o letting them touch the ground or escaping? it would be pretty lulz if u could do this
They stay locked in the shield break spiraling animation until being hit or landing. This means, if done right, is a free win if you have the percent lead, as you keep them locked permanently.

It should be noted that G&W's Uair pushes them slightly ahead each time (they still have no air control because of the shield break). This means you have to switch which way you're facing every now and then to keep them above stage if you are going for the time out.

If you AREN'T going for the timeout, this is a free kill at any percent. You use the slight push sideways from the Uair to take them offstage. Then, they tumble to their death as they can't do anything.

tl;dr G&W's Uair on a shield break is a free stock or a free win. GG.

Splice

Smash Hero
They stay locked in the shield break spiraling animation until being hit or landing. This means, if done right, is a free win if you have the percent lead, as you keep them locked permanently.

tl;dr G&W's Uair on a shield break is a free stock or a free win. GG.
Isn't that considered stalling? It is at the tournaments I go to.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Question:

Also, I don't know the exact timing and I don't know if this has already been side but I think I'd like to point out that when Delfino is going down and the ceiling height is changing if you up air someone at the top the windbox also kills them, I have 2 replays of it I'll upload soon.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Isn't that considered stalling? It is at the tournaments I go to.
Technically, if you do it indefinitely it is certainly stalling. At tournaments with stalling banned, what you want to do is puff enough times to completely refresh your moves and then bring them offstage for the free kill. That way, you get a free kill at any percent as well as a complete stale moves refresh.

This means G&W gets the most reward out of a broken shield out of the entire cast. There are a few characters who get some crazy stuff on shield break, but nobody gets a free win from timeout on shieldbreak or a free kill and a complete moveset refresh. The most anyone else can boast is just a single free kill.

Pretty situational, but when that shield does break, you better capitalize on it!

Top Bottom