• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Publix

Smash Apprentice
A long time ago i remember seeing a video for DK where he could be hit in Luigi's mansion, bounce off two walls, and then immediately upb, canceling all momentum. And I'm guessing that G&W can do that too. Yeah yeah, Luigi's is illegal, and yeah yeah, you have to bounce twice, But what if we could... its stupid, and i don't really even have hope for it to work anymore, but i was thinking bucket break a stage spike.
We can't go to straight bucket from a stage spike can we?
Also if you can find the DK video then I love you, i looked for like 30 minutes! Just got 13nth out of 50 at a tourny, yayish!

Baconslide wavebounce off the ledge and you can go under SV :awesome:
We can go under SV and BF without chef tricks, I just air dodge into the ledge so i don't grab it and keep going, It's kinda hard on BF tho.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey guys, Im trying to learn how to use GaW a bit so I can help my friend who's an up and coming Game and Watch main figure out how to get better. He's getting active in our scene (been to the last 2 tournaments and is confirmed for the next one as well) and has lost most of the noob habits, like roll dodging a ton and not using shield, but the main problem is that he doesn't really know what to do with this character at all. Ive showed him everything I know, but I dont have much experience with or against him as my scene lacks an active GaW and the only ones I've ever played were low level. If you have any vids or threads to help pick him up could you please pass them on to me? Thanks! ^_^

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Playing G&W competently is pretty simple imo.

1. Fullhop F-air (hits 90% of the cast except like the very shortest characters)
2. Jab -> Grab
3. Slowfall D-air for edgeguards and mixing up landings (input a FASTFALL once D-air hitbox is out)
4. Smart juggles with N-air and U-air
5. Having in depth knowledge of your D-throw techchase followup options (Jab, F-tilt, D-tilt, Dash Attack, D-smash, F-smash, D-air, F-air, regrab)
6. Getting people offstage with D-tilt *****

Yeah if you implement those things on top of the stuff that everyone does which is Up-B oos when in trouble, space B-airs, try to mindgame people into Smashes, you should soon become a decent G&W.

I should emphasize, in several matchups, you should be using F-air MORE than B-air, just given how awesome fullhop F-airs are.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Old ZSS MU
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270587
but the main problem is that he doesn't really know what to do with this character at all.
This is me, not literally.

When I Dthrow a character who's not red or orange in Omega's guide
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141781
can I immediately Dsmash and not be hit by their getup attack?

Is it worth reading old MU discussions since I don't know what to do besides G&W's basic general strategy?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174763&highlight=Match+up

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Old ZSS MU
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270587

This is me, not literally.

When I Dthrow a character who's not red or orange in Omega's guide
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141781
can I immediately Dsmash and not be hit by their getup attack?

Is it worth reading old MU discussions since I don't know what to do besides G&W's basic general strategy?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174763&highlight=Match+up
If they don't tech roll, Dthrow to Dsmash is guaranted, on these chars, yes.

You can read the MU to give you general ideas on how to handle opponents, but these might not include all news AT all chars boards have come into these times. So it is still somehow usefull to give you some quick general tips.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Does anyone know the ZSS matchup? I'm sorry if it's been posted. I just can't find it.

The match is definitely in ZSS's favor.

Fortunately, I have a really good ZSS player I get to play quite a bit.
Just some tips: Try not to always forcefully approach.
ZSS can't handle when things are in her face a lot. So once you get in, stay in and keep the pressure on. Bairs, nairs, uairs.
A lot of ZSS does the same things. Neutral b --> grab, etc. Just keep a watch on that and punish their predictions.
You do NOT want to be above ZSS. And I repeat. Do NOT. This is the main reason why it's in ZSS's favor. (I'd say a solid 40:60 her favor). Mainly because she wrecks GnW when GnW is above her. So try not to get above her a lot if possible at all. Watch your upbs.
She juggles GnW like crazy and can kill him pretty easily. GnW is pretty poor when he's above someone in the air and ZSS takes advantage of that very very well.
Other than that, definitely keep playing the matchup. ZSS is something you have to learn by experience instead of text or videos-- but they are still helpful!

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I got creamed by a good ZSS main and was wondering what the mu was like. I knew it wasn't 50/50. I get some ZSS practice from a local player. I learned not to be too aggressive and try to attack from an angle. I kept getting down smashed if I approached poorly. I was also aware that she ***** us if we are above her. She can rack up a lot of damage through up air strings. It's a really weird mu, but I'm getting use to it. Thanks for the tips Day.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
How effective is Bucket braking to the extent of overall survivability? Does it let him become completely comparable to Wario's tanking ability in doubles, or does it pale for some kill moves in comparison to Wario's naturally heavy KBR in terms of tanking?

Phoxhound

Smash Cadet
Baltimore, MD (in a worm hole during summers)
3DS FC
2707-1679-3227
searched the thread but didn't see anything. sorry if this question has already been answered.

what are some good counterpick stages for G&W? trying to get into the local tournament scene and I'd at least like to know what I'm going for. My own experience tells me that FD is a poor choice while battlefield and delfino plaza fare better...but is this accurate?

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Worst characters: MK, Snake, Marth, Diddy, and sometimes ICs
Worst stages: N/A - depends completely on the G&W's play style. Typically FD is frowned upon.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Halberd is a not so great G&W stage I'd agree. Actually implementing the low ceiling with G&W's vertical KO options isn't that easy.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

Don't listen to Zac. He's trying to trick you.

Bad MU's = jiggly puff, Bowser, Ness, Lucas, and Shiek.
Take G&W's to Brinstar and Rainbow, we freak out when we have to go there!

Good luck and do your best!

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Halberd is really just bad against like Snake and Luigi, but Snake is the only one who would want to go there. MK dies from upsmash even earlier on Halberd lol.

Simple question: Zac, are you going to WHOBO?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'd rather play a Snake on Halberd than a Metaknight on the same stage to be honest. I really don't mind Halberd against Snake for the most part, although the main downside going there is that none of G&W's vertical killers are particularly easy to land.

Metaknight however is just stupid, and benefits from low ceilings not to mention transparent floors infinitely more than Snake does.

Also, Olimar is a worse matchup to deal with on Halberd than Snake.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Again man, you actually were good in that set. Just cut down on the nervous obvious mistakes, implement a little more fullhop F-air, D-tilt on platforms, and you should be fine.

Oh and read my guide on G&W's D-throw. ;)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
your use of fair needs work

also get faster at reacting to some of your opponent's dodge habits:L
plenty of opportunities for upsmash/Fair/dsmash reads but you bair'd instead lol.

gj tho!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W only might win on certain CP stages, but I think Falco clearly wins the matchup. Playing against Falco is like playing against a character who can do a lot of what Snake does, but makes it 1000x safer, with about .7x the reward.

Like I'm definitely certain we lose to Falco worse than we lose to Snake, if we even lose to Snake significantly at all. Snake's adv on G&W I feel is barely noticeable in high level play, while Falco clearly dominates G&W on a number of stages.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Really? I don't think I've ever had a hard time fighting a Falco with him. I'd much rather play him Vs. Falco than DK though, that's for sure.

But I guess one person doesn't determine the match-up, so my apologies for jumping the gun.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I dislike G&W... he is my worst MU EVERY (besides marth) I just hate how all his smashes kill me at 90%

But everytime I play him I alwayse hit somone with a 9 like 2-3 times a game :3

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
gotta say this character is really hard for me even when i use my marth as i just never play the match up so im always just like "ooohhhhh noooooooo! wat der hell do i doooo?!"

Top Bottom