• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Ah, so that's how it works? I had always assumed it was because of damage (via Yoshi's second jump)

So then, that means Chef will never knock him out of his cypher...Slightly disappointing...If G&W didn't have better moves to use that is.

Haunted Brook

Smash Rookie
Does this guy have any AT?

I lub using him cous of his kill moves being OP xD

I love the 9 too!

but he just seems so plain for some reason....

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Well he is plain. He dosen't have a Dacus, he dosen't have jab canceling, he can setup Dthrow follow up with good reads, and he had ridiculous knockback growth and base kb on his smashes. His hitboxes are mostly disjointed, making the feeling of high priority attacks.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
The only real special things G&W can do are bucket brake, and glide toss really far.

Splice

Smash Hero
B-Reversal and Bucket/Bacon Boosting (pretty useful with Bacon) are "techs"

Other useful ones are jump after UpB
(use UpB before you use second jump, then use aerial to cancel UpB and jump again woo)

Dair Slowfall (just fast fall it blah blah)
It's useful to make Dair end just before you touch the ground so you can bait opponents or follow-up
and pressure like a BAWSS

Most of GaWs techs are things to abuse and you put them together in nifty fashion.
Like his Usmash is IASA so you abuse that to use attacks straight away out of it. like another smash :D

GaW can stutter-step and Pivot-grab like most characters... pivot-grab rarely useful

And I wouldn't listen to overgamer...
Coz GaW is very flexible as a character imo (not plain), He does have jab cancelling (you input crouch after using first jab, then follow up with whatever you want to do out of jab (grab is a good idea)).
However what he said about amazing Kill Power and Disjoints is true.

mmm thats most of the stuff
heaps of little nifty things you can incorporate though.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
What's everyone's opinion on Chef?

I find that I utilize the move quite often in my G&W game when I play him (especially on FD) For spikes off stage (not too often) and setting up Bacon-stun kills/shield grabs

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
@Splice, well if you compare to others characters jab cancels, G&W options are rather lame... And I'm not even sure jab > grab is guaranted. So I don't consider him having jab canceling if you can't use it to connect stuff properly. =)

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
hi, on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbnCcHhoQ6U
vinnie vs seibrik, he used turtle ond MK shield, when i do that, all my MK opponents use UP B, and i eat it =(, why seibrik didnt use it???, cuz he didnt knew that he could do that, or vinnie space the turtle so well that if he up b the turtle it would be a miss???

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Okay so when Im fighting an MK should I let him CP me to Brinstar or Cruise?

Also I need tips on how to fight MK or Brinstar.

Gonna bust out the 2D wonder this weekend and surprise folks lol. Ive been working on the stuff you guys told me :D This character seems very intuitive to me.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I'd take him to Rainbow. Brinstar isn't a bad stage for G&W (I've seen GIMR play on it in the past) I feel with MK Vs. G&W that MK has more viable options and advantages (than he usually does) on Brinstar than compared to RC.

In my opinion I would be much more comfortable taking him to Rainbow.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Metaknight is beyond stupidly broken on Brinstar.

Small blastzones are much better for him than anyone else in the cast. His platform control game is also unrivaled on that stage, and his ability to shark isn't pleasant to deal with.

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
nobody answer my question!!! =(, ill repost

vinnie vs seibrik, he used turtle ond MK shield; but when i do that, all my MK opponents use UP B, and it destroys the turtle =(, why seibrik didnt use it???, cuz he didnt knew that he could do that, or vinnie spaces the turtle so well that if seibrik SL the turtle it would miss???

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...I prefer going to Brinstar, maybe I'm weird...I mean...I feel like killing with G&W is way too easy on the stage.

But I really think it's dependent on which stage you are more comfortable with. And I guess how comfortable they are with each stage, if you happen to know.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Brinstar's blastzones are mathematically worse for heavy hitters, since their kill moves (ones that are strong, but situational) benefit the least from the small blastzones in terms of how much less percent is needed to score a kill. The kill moves that benefit the most on small blastzones are moves that are easy to land in basic bread and butter situations. G&W however is not bad on Brinstar because he's good at adapting to the lava, and his platform pressure remains strong thanks to N-air, while most other characters take a massive hit to their platform pressure game due to the option of U-tilt and U-smash being lost for the lower platforms.

Metaknight...has a STUPIDLY HIGH number of moves that benefit a LOT from Brinstar. Moves that normally don't kill but are easy to land now suddenly are a ridiculously huge threat on Brinstar.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Where do yall take MetaKnights? It's tough to choose since our counterpicks are their counterpicks. My favorite stage is still brinstar. :)

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
im sure how well a mk abuses brinstar depends on their exp with the stage. here in the rgv everyone would automatically ban rainbow on me all the time, so i never really got as used to cp'ing with that stage as i should have. so instead i turned to brinstar as my favorite cp. i think i abuse the stage pretty well, especially the right side of the stage. its gotten me a win once or twice on some mk's in tourney. i would def recommend using brinstar for teams if you can find a teammate that can deal with the stage.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
nobody answer my question!!! =(, ill repost

vinnie vs seibrik, he used turtle ond MK shield; but when i do that, all my MK opponents use UP B, and it destroys the turtle =(, why seibrik didnt use it???, cuz he didnt knew that he could do that, or vinnie spaces the turtle so well that if seibrik SL the turtle it would miss???
I don't know yet, but gonna try it, so hold on a sec.
for those wondering, it first happens at 1:46, 5:01.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'll probably try Cruise. Ive very experienced on that stage thanks to DDD.

The one thing I DO hate about MK on Brinstar is Shuttle Loop. Omg its so broken on that stage. If you try to dodge it you still get hit. If you avoid it the stage is there to **** you up lol

Well see what happens. My GaW was doing well in practice yesterday so maybe i'll bring in some results. Wish me luck yo.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I'll probably try Cruise. Ive very experienced on that stage thanks to DDD.

The one thing I DO hate about MK on Brinstar is Shuttle Loop. Omg its so broken on that stage. If you try to dodge it you still get hit. If you avoid it the stage is there to **** you up lol

Well see what happens. My GaW was doing well in practice yesterday so maybe i'll bring in some results. Wish me luck yo.

Good luck yo! :)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I like CPing MK to cruise, and if he bans that I'll take him to FD or maybe frigate.

Brinstar is terrible :(. You can deal with the sharking with upB, and then quickly attempt to get under him, but it usually turns out to be ineffective because he can usually avoid your attacks and just get right back under the stage.

yay first post in this thread lol.

EDIT: That seibrik vs vinnie thing... Yeah I see no reason why seibrik wouldn't upB OoS in both those situations especially at 5:01 (that would've killed vinnie). I suspect seibrik didn't know that he could do that, which would make sense considering how it appeared he didn't know the match-up very well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Seibrik sucks at a lot of matchups to be frank lol.

People gotta realize that Brinstar is a stage that ****s on the options of 95% of the cast. It's why MK is so unfairly broken on that stage.

RC in comparison is much more liberating and open to improvisation. It's not actually as polarizing as it looks, and I personally think the only character who really has no business going there is Bowser.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
like over said, 1:46 its a perfect example. so... xDDD
yeah i thought the same thing.

My friend is a good friend of Siebrik and he was on the power rankings in Fl so here is what he said: "Siebrik just didn't know the matchup" me: yeah but one of the top 20 players in U.S. doens't know about upb oos?" my friend: " He doesn't like doing things that are obvious, he thinks he will get punished for them or something"
lol you can't punish invincibility frames. I still think he's ******** for not punishing them tho, but Vinnie didn't give him too many chances to do it.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I went Brinstar against an MK at my last tourney and won. I don't know how much experience he had on the stage though...but I didn't think it was too bad.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
yeah i thought the same thing.

My friend is a good friend of Siebrik and he was on the power rankings in Fl so here is what he said: "Siebrik just didn't know the matchup" me: yeah but one of the top 20 players in U.S. doens't know about upb oos?" my friend: " He doesn't like doing things that are obvious, he thinks he will get punished for them or something"
lol you can't punish invincibility frames. I still think he's ******** for not punishing them tho, but Vinnie didn't give him too many chances to do it.
Ok after some testing, it all depends on situations, if you retreat Bair, SL will miss,
but if it's onplace, you'll get hit by MK SL upB. So yeah, that's always good to know for the MU.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Mr. Game & Watch boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
Ok after some testing, it all depends on situations, if you retreat Bair, SL will miss,
but if it's onplace, you'll get hit by MK SL upB. So yeah, that's always good to know for the MU.
woah thks, but how can u land a retreating bair on someone's shield??? XDD i can only think this 2 scenarios: input retreating turtle really close to MK, or aproaching turtle and when u hit the shield u start the retreat, in both cases SL will miss, or only the 1st one?

@ccst: i think gaw will **** him... gaw only needs to put pressure on him.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
woah thks, but how can u land a retreating bair on someone's shield??? XDD i can only think this 2 scenarios: input retreating turtle really close to MK, or aproaching turtle and when u hit the shield u start the retreat, in both cases SL will miss, or only the 1st one?

@ccst: i think gaw will **** him... gaw only needs to put pressure on him.
I'm pretty sure only the 1st scenario will work, but if you're extremely tight on the spacing, then you might be able to shield poke without getting hit by upB. It's not very reliable though, so yeah. I think I need to test some other scenarios, like onplace > retreating, and FF onplace.

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
yeah... i was thinking, how to beat the MK MU, i do very good on this MU, but i dont win, its like last stock for both over 120%, and i lose xD. and i tought Oos jab... do you think i will be a good idea?? just to anoy him xDDD

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
yeah... i was thinking, how to beat the MK MU, i do very good on this MU, but i dont win, its like last stock for both over 120%, and i lose xD. and i tought Oos jab... do you think i will be a good idea?? just to anoy him xDDD
I think jab is not SO great OOS, but can still be used to messup things, but not on MK or at least, not safely.

Top Bottom