• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i think its the fair with wolfs fair against mario's only the other way around. If the wolf gets too hasty then mario's fair will beat him out

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
i think its the fair with wolfs fair against mario's only the other way around. If the wolf gets too hasty then mario's fair will beat him out
Reading this post made my brain fart. I don't even know what you just said.

In other news, I've been out of school for 3 days now because of it snowing 3 feet of snow. Another foot expected tonight. Shoveling all this is such a pain.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Actually, depends on the direction you're being sent. If it's mostly vertical, dair. If it's mostly horizontal, THEN it's nair.
Reading this post made my brain fart. I don't even know what you just said.

In other news, I've been out of school for 3 days now because of it snowing 3 feet of snow. Another foot expected tonight. Shoveling all this is such a pain.
Lol. Then you must not have read some of the /b/ posts of legend.

Then don't shovel, and when you can't go say "Snowed in brah. Sorry brah. Be thar tomorrow brah."....Wish Cleveland would get that much...Apparently, we spend so much money on salt our lawns can have a foot to 1.5 feet or so deepness of snow, but the roads are neverm ore than a few centimeters :/...Wish we could keep education clean and well running like our roads -.-. Our school only calls 'snow days' when the temperature is below 0 (Not really much of a snow day though...I dont think we've ever gone below 0 before school starts....key word: before. I'm almost positive we've dipped below 0 a few times during school hours -.-)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Care to elaborate?...

I already use fsmash around once every five seconds, ***** *****es on the ledge like you can't even imagine.

Or, well, maybe you can, but really, fsmash is beautiful.

:059:

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Not necessarily every five seconds...but you should be able to observe your opponents shielding habits while you're camping...At Fsmash's full range, if they expect to power shield a laser, they will delay shielding because of Blaster's startup time, but a Fsmash would most likely connect. When top Wolf's use Fsmash minimally, its easy to become complacent about dropping shield/aerials OoS after attacks that can be punished by Fsmash (Should not be done on first pass though)...Also, even if you miss a few times, they'll be more conditioned to shield after attacks (obviously the time to stop Fsmashing), which you can take advantage of via grabs or shield pokes (holding shield longer diminishes shield more).

Can Peach really punish Wolf's Bair with a Nair OoS if she perfect shields the Bair?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, I exaggerated a bit, but it's definitely one of Wolf's best moves :p Why did you write PSA in front of your post though, did they find anything interesting about Wolf's fsmash? Speaking of which, anyone know what frame the first hitbox comes out on after a charge release?

PSing the bair means she'd have around 30 frames where we're in cooldown. Sounds believable to me =/

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I love intentionally missing a B-air and then D-Smashing/F-Smashing them when they think they try to dash in to punish.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
PSing the bair means she'd have around 30 frames where we're in cooldown. Sounds believable to me =/
But she wouldn't be able to just Nair OoS...wouldn't she be too far away for that, wouldn't she have to float over to Wolf or something like that.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Idk... It probably depends largely on your spacing/zoning etc, but her nair has a pretty good hitbox so idk...

I'm going to stop commenting on this until I actually find out for sure :p

_Kain_

Smash Champion
But she wouldn't be able to just Nair OoS...wouldn't she be too far away for that, wouldn't she have to float over to Wolf or something like that.
Lol no only if its misspaced unless there talking about the full hop one but no way can they hit the FF one with nair oos

John102

Smash Cadet
Ok, what's a RAR(it could be an acronym similar to this, but I may have mixed up the lettering), and how do you JC Fair?

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Castor, cut it out. He had legitimate questions -.-.
-------------
A RAR, like he said, stands for Reverse Aerial Rush. If you've ever seen someone running this direction > to someone on the right ledge, but as they jump towards the person, they're facing < that way...That's a RAR. It essentially involves turning so that the direction you want facing them (AKA the back) is now facing them rather than your backside, while at the same time jumping right after the turn so that you keep the forward momentum but still turn.

A JC fair is also, like he said, is a jump cancelled fair. That refers to using fair as soon as you SHORT HOP, so that you have little to no landing lag and the rest of the animation after the hitboxes are cut off...Think of it as automatic L-cancelling for brawl :3. JC grabs, if you didn't know, refer to pressing jump right as you grab, so that rather than doing your dashing grab which, for EVERY character, has a TON of delay and grabby range...You can do your 'standing' grab animation while 'sliding' from the forwards momentum. Your range is also a little better compared to the dashing grab....Although off hand, I can't even remember if Brawl DOES have JC grabs so....

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Lol xD Relax Eon, no need to minimod over a small joke :p

It's technically supposed to be AC fair, not JC fair. You don't cancel a jump with fair, you autocancel the fair by landing past a certain point in the animation (usually done by using fair instantly out of a SH), leaving you with 1 frame of landing lag instead of the usual 29.

John102

Smash Cadet
Thanks Eon and Ishieymoro, after I brawled Dabuz he told me to RAR more and I had no clue what it was. I've known what a AC fair is, just apparently not the actual name or how to do it.

@Castorpollux I've been back stalking the wolf boards for like 5 days and I've already hit that link 30 times, I think I'm starting to memorize the URL code =0

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Thanks Eon and Ishieymoro, after I brawled Dabuz he told me to RAR more and I had no clue what it was. I've known what a AC fair is, just apparently not the actual name or how to do it.

@Castorpollux I've been back stalking the wolf boards for like 5 days and I've already hit that link 30 times, I think I'm starting to memorize the URL code =0
I see your location is Virginia. Come to Md/Va tourney some time. I'll gladly teach you a ****load and play you =D.

Sova or Nova?

John102

Smash Cadet
SoVA just below Richmond, and yeah, I might take you up on that, I've yet to go to an offline tourney, and I need all the help I can get.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
hey so can any1 explain the timing for Wolf's illusion cancel? It seems neither Falco nor Wolf have picture of a visual cue or anything for this. Is there any trick to it? when should i press B? that would be much appreciated if someone could explain this 2 me.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

RAR is IIRC when you do a bair but when doing the bair you move backwards (think marth hitting a fair on shield but jumping backwards as he does it to stay safe)

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
No that's a retreating bair....That's a 'retreating <insert move here>'. RAR is what we explained up above...
EDIT: It just takes practice for everyone. I know that's frustrating, but a few suggestions...For me, it always seems to time well right as he's starting to grunt. His grunt starts n suddenly cuts off. It's all about timing. Try different timings each time...Try slow mo, get it in there, notice which frames it happens on (where his legs position, how much of his sound is made) Then try and nail that in normal speed. It just takes practice...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
There's this post I used to learn flash cancelling that I always link to help others, but for some reason I can't find it now...

Basically what Eon said, practice with an audio/visual cue until you work it into your muscle memory.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Get him above you, outspace him or trade hits with bair / fair, bait a lot with shad, use lots of pivot grab when he's about to land (and use lots of pivot grab in general) don't use fsmash unless he hits your shield with a smash or DB, use lots of AAA to punish avoid juggle traps with shine / blaster reversal.

Fun match-up, perfectly 5/5

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'm still not entirely sure about this being guaranteed (for some reason, idk), but Marth can do a few grabs into tipper fsmash/dair starting at 0%. Jabs and grabs are very good, and our bair should usually beat his fair with good spacing and all considering that we have better airspeed. Uair juggling is great, and standing a fsmash away when Marth is on the ledge allows you to cover all of his options with decent reaction time :3

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Does anyone have advice for a new wolf player? I have read guides and i even have saved the frame/matchup data on my phone for quick access. I somewhat learned wolf on wifi which i am ashamed of. Although it helps learn some matchups it builds much worse habits that are punishable in real life. I dont want to learn wolf for any particular matchup, but i want to use wolf because he is just too fun to play. If anyone has any tips, baits-punishes, setups, air approaches, anything i can use in a match against any character please help me out.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
There's nothing wrong with wifi :p It's actually really helpful for learning matchups, from what I hear.

Learn exactly how to handle your recovery and how to space your moves properly, those are the two biggest things imo. Recovery because it's somewhat tricky for Wolf and if you suck with it you're going to die a lot more than you should, and spacing because Wolf has excellent range and it's basically a must for any character. Get the basics going on, and then you'll be able to develop an effective style of play yourself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom