• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
do we have any real solid concrete information on chaingrabs and tilt locks?

like, i want to ask about shiek's tilt lock but i don't want to hear "i'm pretty sure you DI away and mash buttans lol"

have we ever actually tested any of the stuff that ***** wofl and if so where do we hide it?
After talking with Tristin Win I have a pretty good understanding about tilt lock by Sheik. You're supposed to DI straight down as much as possible and shine out of it. So keep pressing down and down b.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I don't think we have lots of legit numbers and whatnot for these combo/chain things, but there's info floating around somewhere on our boards...

Nice to see you too Kalo :)

:059:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
@ Tekkie: Great idea :3 ty for not being as lazy as me lol

@ xKirin: Yep, depends on your buttons though. What's your controller configuration? If you set your dpad to smashes, it's pretty easy (or so people say... I find it harder, and I actually play with wiichuck x_x)

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
im trying to pick up wolf as a secondary character. does anyone have any tips like what moves i should do and what moves i shouldnt?

also who are the wolf mains that i should be watching?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
That's very general, but bair is amazing. Fair is very good too, you should implement both into your game since they're so flexible.

Fsmash is generally best for punishing your opponent, dsmash is generally best for when you want that kill, uair is good for juggling, dthrow is your best throw unless at low %s (when your opponent has frame advantage), usmash OoS is pretty good for punishing, and... yeah I guess that's enough to get started :p

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
OoS stands for "out of shield". It's when you either upB, upsmash, or use an aerial directly out of your shield, which is done by jumping first (you can jump directly out of your shield so you don't need to wait the seven frames to drop it, which helps for punishing) and then inputting your upB or upsmash before you become airborne to cancel your jumping animation into the upB/upsmash. An aerial is done just like a regular aerial, except without dropping your shield first :)

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Basically anyone that's not DDD and Wario. He's probably not the best secondary for Snake by the way unless you like upgrading to a 45-55'ish match up.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

Gah777

Smash Lord
Falco's not that bad of a matchup, right? Like 40-60 Falco or something. But yeah, MK, DDD, Shiek, and Pika are definately Wolf's worst matchups. How is Wario a bad matchup for Wolf? *goes and reads matchup thread*

Edit: okay I see now. Wolf doesn't necessarily have "bad" against those characters, he's just at a disadvantage and doesn't get completely ***** by anyone except MK, DDD, and Shiek.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Marth, Diddy, DK, and Lucario are all just about even or very slightly in Wolf's favor, I'd say. So you might want to use Wolf over Pit for those :)

Falco isn't that bad... doesn't mean I don't suck at the matchup though >_> I don't think any of Wolf's matchups are severe disadvantages actually, but that's at the top level of play where you can and will do everything in your power to avoid getting grabbed (and MK, people tend to go with 40:60 so it can't be that bad, but idk)

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I don't think any of Wolf's matchups are severe disadvantages actually, but that's at the top level of play where you can and will do everything in your power to avoid getting grabbed (and MK, people tend to go with 40:60 so it can't be that bad, but idk)
At high level play, Wolf can be one of the best characters...at lower levels, he gets owned and that demoralizes people's will to get to top levels.

And where is this myth that DK goes even with Wolf coming from?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
At high level play, Wolf can be one of the best characters...at lower levels, he gets owned and that demoralizes peoples will to get to top levels.
THIS

And where is this myth that DK goes even with Wolf coming from?
Idk, do you think it's significantly in one direction (60:40 or more, if we were going off of numbers)? I'm labeling it as even because I still feel I don't know quite enough to make the most accurate judgment... Atomsk's DK is actually the next character I want to MM >_>

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Idk, do you think it's significantly in one direction (60:40 or more, if we were going off of numbers)? I'm labeling it as even because I still feel I don't know quite enough to make the most accurate judgment...
Wolf is the reason I dropped DK...The best way for DK to approach is by perfect shielding Wolf's Blaster, which is hard to do if he's been hit by one or two Bairs since his shield sucks. Once you get close enough, simply turning around as DK probably takes long enough to be punished by Wolf's Fsmash. I guess you could try to Ftilt, that is, if Wolf hasn't already Jumpshined, and double jumped over you to repeat the process. He can't SH over lasers so he has to approach with FH's, which puts him in awkward situations...if he gets hit in the air with Blaster, he gets turned around. Not to mention Wolf has like the fastest aerial speed so DK gets beat there as well. Simple FH FF Bairs outside his range is hard enough to combat as DK.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
thx guys.

before my next question, i would like to say that this is probably the best Q&A thread ive ever read.

(props to everyone)

what is wolfs best stage? i remember reading about FD being the best but wouldnt recovery be easier on battlefield or smashville?

_Kain_

Smash Champion
THIS

Idk, do you think it's significantly in one direction (60:40 or more, if we were going off of numbers)? I'm labeling it as even because I still feel I don't know quite enough to make the most accurate judgment... Atomsk's DK is actually the next character I want to MM >_>

Its understandable but once u learn ur range on DK u shud see. HIs shield is so bad theres almost nothing he can do about a spaced bair. Yours beats his if done right if not fair > bair. Very easy to juggle him. He's always forced to approach in this matchup due to ur projectile. If you get him with a laser while hes recovering and he's already wasted a jump that's almost an automatic spike. Most if not all of his attacks are punishable if there blocked, Fsmash, Dsmash, Upsmash, Ftilt etc. Idk why ppl think its in DK's favor cause he can bair u out of ur side b? Lol jus DI upwards n ur back on the stage if ur forced to use up b to recover u deserve to die. Jus my opinion wolf>DK

_Kain_

Smash Champion
thx guys.

before my next question, i would like to say that this is probably the best Q&A thread ive ever read.

(props to everyone)

what is wolfs best stage? i remember reading about FD being the best but wouldnt recovery be easier on battlefield or smashville?
Recovery wise yeah but just master his reovery and no stage should be hard to get back on. FD is most likely his best since he can camp and he has lots of air to manuever around in. In all he's best on any neutral and other stages vary depending on who your fighting.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
See, I can't bring myself to play against DK that way x_x That, and whenever he dodges/counters my bair with a punch I lose all focus lol. But yeah, I can see all of that but just can't put it into practice I guess :ohwell: I'm working on getting past it though, one of my biggest flaws is approaching when I shouldn't be...

(props to everyone)

And yeah, what Kain said for the stages. I don't think Wolf has any particularly bad stages that you can't ban (ex. Delfino vs DeDeDe), does anyone have serious issues with opponents CPing them somewhere?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Its understandable but once u learn ur range on DK u shud see. HIs shield is so bad theres almost nothing he can do about a spaced bair. Yours beats his if done right if not fair > bair. Very easy to juggle him. He's always forced to approach in this matchup due to ur projectile. If you get him with a laser while hes recovering and he's already wasted a jump that's almost an automatic spike. Most if not all of his attacks are punishable if there blocked, Fsmash, Dsmash, Upsmash, Ftilt etc. Idk why ppl think its in DK's favor cause he can bair u out of ur side b? Lol jus DI upwards n ur back on the stage if ur forced to use up b to recover u deserve to die. Jus my opinion wolf>DK
LOL.

Oh and Ps1 sucks balls so I imagine a Dk would take Wolf there cause the edges are super gay.
thx guys.

(props to everyone)
We try. We succeed!!
Wolf is amazing on neutrals, but in my opinion his best stages are Halberd, Battlefield, and Smashville. I like abusing low ceilings and platforms.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i want to say wolfs best stage is on smashville, its easier to kill there than a lot of stages and thanks to his great mobility it makes controlling the stage really easy and sets characters like snake up for intense juggling thanks to the platform. that and its not really hard to recover there, i know i do best on that stage

tedeth

Smash Master
I like all the neutrals. I'm a big fan of Yoshis. It has a high cieling but the long platform can give you some good lateral control. Also you can angulate your dsmash to destroy anyone who's trying any kind of edgegames.

For counterpicks I like FRIGATE (except against like mk/wario/kirby) and don't mind pictochat too much, but that can get annoying to kill on.

Mostly I just pick Frigate or a neutral for my CP.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
I really like yoshi's island as well, recovering is easier there for me and that platform does help a lot. I've been saved an unnatural amount of times by those little ghost island things too

Gah777

Smash Lord
I know this is a really stupid question but... how do I get to the Wolf chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom