• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
There's nothing wrong with wifi :p It's actually really helpful for learning matchups, from what I hear.

Learn exactly how to handle your recovery and how to space your moves properly, those are the two biggest things imo. Recovery because it's somewhat tricky for Wolf and if you suck with it you're going to die a lot more than you should, and spacing because Wolf has excellent range and it's basically a must for any character. Get the basics going on, and then you'll be able to develop an effective style of play yourself :)

:059:
K thanks. I just dont like my wifi wolf because im too agro and im a blood thirsty wolf. Ill try to focus more on the spacing and not so much blood thirst.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
K thanks. I just dont like my wifi wolf because im too agro and im a blood thirsty wolf. Ill try to focus more on the spacing and not so much blood thirst.
I play a very aggro Wolf. If you want help being stupidly aggro then ask.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
uh, i wana learn how to beat people.
I mean stupidly as in like a synonym for very. I beat people being very aggro. Though I do camp when I need to or it's the best option.

Pretty much if you have the percent lead then you can laser camp and force approaches.

Check some of my vids from the video thread. The more recent ones is my current Wolf's metagame.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I mean stupidly as in like a synonym for very. I beat people being very aggro. Though I do camp when I need to or it's the best option.

Pretty much if you have the percent lead then you can laser camp and force approaches.

Check some of my vids from the video thread. The more recent ones is my current Wolf's metagame.
Thanks. Ill check out some of your vids. :)

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I have a question people that still hasn't been answered by anyone

How come if you jump into someone and shine, you can grab them and have it actually be a true combo?

rvkevin

Smash Lord

How come if you jump into someone and shine, you can grab them and have it actually be a true combo?
Imagine shine as a circle. If you shine someone on the ground, they have a set knock back from from where you hit them lets say at 270 degrees (Like a on compass, standing on the right of them). If you shine the in the air, they have set knock back from where you hit them lets say at 225 degrees. If you draw a vertical line at each point, the difference in distance becomes apparent, basically when you hit them when falling, you're hitting them on a different part of the shine, and thus not hitting them as far.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Imagine shine as a circle. If you shine someone on the ground, they have a set knock back from from where you hit them lets say at 270 degrees (Like a on compass, standing on the right of them). If you shine the in the air, they have set knock back from where you hit them lets say at 225 degrees. If you draw a vertical line at each point, the difference in distance becomes apparent, basically when you hit them when falling, you're hitting them on a different part of the shine, and thus not hitting them as far.

-_- that's not the point. (and i'm not an idiot... my question isn't about the spacing aspect)

Shine only gives someone a 4 frame advantage

Grab takes 6 frames

SOMETHING DOESNT ADD UP

castorpollux

Smash Champion
i know for a fact that wolf's grab is longer than 4 frames

and i know for a fact that wolf's shine is 4 frames long

This is my own testing...

rvkevin

Smash Lord

But that testing was done on the ground, right? Does it work against one frame Jabs?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Remember that thread .joel made about 0 landing lag when using Shine from a certain height? Maybe it cuts out some of the cooldown?

I don't have frame hacks, but if someone tells me how to test for that stuff I can try to check it out.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Remember that thread .joel made about 0 landing lag when using Shine from a certain height? Maybe it cuts out some of the cooldown?

I don't have frame hacks, but if someone tells me how to test for that stuff I can try to check it out.

Works on the ground too against fat characters

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

Works on the ground too against fat characters
But that testing was done on the ground, right? Does it work against one frame Jabs?
Somebody made a mistake doing the frame data.

-_- that's not the point. (and i'm not an idiot... my question isn't about the spacing aspect)

Shine only gives someone a 4 frame advantage

Grab takes 6 frames

SOMETHING DOESNT ADD UP

Who you gonna call?!?!?!?!

Gho-

Perfectedidiot2.

D

Deleted member

I've been told that using the C-stick is the best way to go about using aerial moves. Is this really true? I understand that it affects your momentum less for bair and such, but I've been trying it out and it feels so...awkward. It's awkward to the point of restricting, and I can kill better using Wolf's bair the normal way.

Thoughts?

tekkie

Smash Master
I've been told that using the C-stick is the best way to go about using aerial moves. Is this really true? I understand that it affects your momentum less for bair and such, but I've been trying it out and it feels so...awkward. It's awkward to the point of restricting, and I can kill better using Wolf's bair the normal way.

Thoughts?
it definitely depends on using. my bair wall is usually roll thumb from Y to A while holding back then switching to c-stick to fast fall another bair. basically, rising aerials i use A while everything else i c-stick.

basically whatever works when you consider how your movement is affected and how comfortable it is.

D

Deleted member

Fast falling while doing the bair wall seems like a case when the c-stick can be useful. Other than that, I'll just stick with what's comfortable.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
is it just me, or is the timing for side b cancel different if you are in the air than it is on the ground. I can cancel it on the ground very consistently. I can't cancel it in the air consistently at all though

Gah777

Smash Lord
It seems like it...

And on a side note, but still somewhat related to the above... Anybody know if the timing of the s-b cancels vary across the spacies?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It could be different because sideB in the air has two extra frames of startup time (I think PI told me this a long time ago when he was getting the frame data)

No idea if the timings vary, but I'm pretty sure they do since I can cancel so much easier with Falco >_>

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
I've read several times that Marth can do an unspaced SH FF Fair and avoid getting grabbed with up B. Can Wolf do the same with unspaced SH FF Bair -> Shine? Wolf's FF speed is slower than Marth's, which might be a factor.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Naw, it takes several frames to jump, so that won't work. :( I was just wondering if grounded Shine after unspaced Bair works, which would give me more options. I just need to practice auto canceling Bair at the earliest possible moment.

Does buffering a spotdodge work after unspaced Bair against shieldgrabs? It takes a few more frames, but it's less risky than grounded Shine if it works.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Naw, it takes several frames to jump, so that won't work. :( I was just wondering if grounded Shine after unspaced Bair works, which would give me more options. I just need to practice auto canceling Bair at the earliest possible moment.

Does buffering a spotdodge work after unspaced Bair against shieldgrabs? It takes a few more frames, but it's less risky than grounded Shine if it works.

probably not. wolf's spotdodge isn'tretardedly good like falco's

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Falco's spotdodge is awesome because the invincibility frames last longer, not because of the startup.

According to our frame data, Wolf's spotdodge starts on frame 2. If it's buffered, the invincibility starts only 1 frame later than Shine.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
No, just double jump away if you aren't going to be able to space it correctly.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, is that 1 frame difference between Shine and Spotdodge that important to stopping shield grabs after unspaced Bair? I'm really hoping that I don't have to always rely on DJ (it puts me in bad positions).

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
If it isn't spaced correctly but done right before you land, you can shine or spotdodge after the bair to avoid a shieldgrab (barring PS). If you bair and take too long to land, better space properly or be prepared to DJ away :p

Gah777

Smash Lord
it's really simple, actually. you just short hop and f-air at the same time, essentially.

and yes, it still does the full amount of damage and is one of wolf's best moves, ever.

jpak

Smash Lord
Oh i get it now thanks, it has to be done right after I short hop. Which isn't relaly possible the way I hold my controller, anyiodeas on how I should change my controls, or how I should hold my game cube controller differnetly?

At the moment I use the default controls, y to short hop, middle finger on right, index on z, and thumb for a/b/cstick

Gah777

Smash Lord
It's possible with default controls. It's a little hard for me to explain, but the way i do it is hit jump(y button), then forward (control stick) and A. I have my thumb positioned over the y and A buttons so i can hit them simultaneously.

Just practice it. You'll get the hang of it eventually

audauro

Smash Rookie
Who you gonna call?!?!?!?!

Gho-

Perfectedidiot2.

okay so i talked to PI and yeah he tested it and apparently it is a true combo on a lot of characters. It's not a true combo on wolf, but it essentially is a combo because wolf has a 1/30 of a second time interval where he can press shine and get out of it (this is really hard to do)

perfectedidiot2

Smash Cadet
^^^^^^^^

In more technical terms it goes something like this.

All characters suffer from at least 4 frames of disadvantage and we know that grab comes out on frame 6.

So, if you buffered a grab out of shine a character would have at most, 2 frames to do something about it and there aren't many moves that give invincibility or a hitbox on the first two frames. So its a de facto combo in most cases.

and that's assuming they don't suffer more than a 4 frame disadvantage, most characters have more than that as shown below.

Shine Frame Advantage (Greatest to Smallest)
Jiggs: 7
Lucas: 6
G&W: 6
Squirtle: 6
Pika: 6
Kirby:6
MK: 6
D3: 6
Olimar: 6
Fox: 6
Falco: 6
ZSS: 6