• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Just a quick question....are there any good wolf players in the north west coast (US). I'm thinking of entering my first tourney soon so I was kinda wondering.

thanks

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I was screwing around with Wolf's Dair in training mode against a (grounded) Ganondorf for giggles. A few times , when I landed the Dair, Ganondorf did not seem to "fly" up, but rather "teleported" up to the knockback height. I was able to pull this off (not intentionally) at least two times, and each was at a different %, meaning Ganondorf "teleported" a different distance each time. I think I hit Ganondorf at some sort of wierd angle to cause this. Can anyone tell me what's going on, or if this has been known about before?

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
It won't hit characters shorter than you. FF AC U-air -> U-tilt is a true combo though. I still prefer platform-dropped U-air.

In my opinion, the only thing that kills 70% of U-air's usefulness is its range. It's a good juggler overall.

Also, you live in WA, mith? That state has a few known, but not amazing Wolfs.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
What is scarring and semi-scarring?
Scarring - Drop from the ledge and instantly sideB. You will seemingly teleport through the stage. It's only possible on some stages though, for places like FD you get caught under the lip and die. Which is why there's...

Semiscarring - Holding down while using sideB so that you don't sweetspot the ledge. It's like scarring from a distance, in a sense. Same effect, but you don't have to be on the ledge.

:059:

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Semi-scarring is useful but you have to practice your timing or you are going to start suiciding a lot. It is especially risky in Final Destination, where it may seem you can go through the ledge and you fall to your death.

I think this is possible with Falco too, with his Side-B is it not? I remember once doing it and instead of grabbing the ledge, it gave me an extra jump.

Good for avoiding getting ledge guarded? It is for Wolf, if you can go through the ledge. It keeps your options open but makes you a bit predictable sometimes if you are not careful.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
A Wolf question because it's been bugging me for months now.
Does Wolf's blaster give him any forward momentum/height?

tekkie

Smash Master
A Wolf question because it's been bugging me for months now.
Does Wolf's blaster give him any forward momentum/height?
In the air, if you can turn and use it at the same time (hold b, opposite side immediately after so as not to scar) then it gives him a little momentum.

So, how useful is Wolf for tech chasing? I tried it, couldn't really conclude, but I want to know if it's something one can get good at.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Vorguen, you're talking about telestepping I believe. It's possible with fox falco wolf and lucario, but I only know how it works for wolf. And you are right, semiscarring should be used sparingly against good players, it's easily punishable.

Straked, blaster does give you some momentum if you use it like Tekkie said, but you don't always have to turn. Try jumping and moving forward starting at the top of your jump, and then do the same with a blaster at the top. It works for both forward and backward, you get a little boost of momentum.

Tekkie, tech chasing isn't half bad, but you should probably make sure you can boost smash, it helps a lot. You can get better at tech chasing by simply being a better player though, it relies on prediction of your opponent's actions, so the more people you play the better you'll get.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Oh ok haha. We in WA have Vista who "quit" brawl, Star_Wolfx, zeionut, and me. None of us are any good though haha and probably won't travel out of state. Taht's all I can tell you.
Thanks for all the help. Looks like ill have to try to be the best wolf in OR....pro bly not but hopefully... :)

tekkie

Smash Master
Can anyone give me a better idea of how telestepping works? "Scar close to the edge" doesn't quite do it for me.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Probably a terrific idea to master telestepping. Normally, after UpB or SideBing to the edge, Wolf will experience a noticeable amount of lag when his feet touch the ground. A few characters experience this. It's really annoying. However, you can circumvent this lag by simply telestepping onto the stage with zero lag.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Probably a terrific idea to master telestepping. Normally, after UpB or SideBing to the edge, Wolf will experience a noticeable amount of lag when his feet touch the ground. A few characters experience this. It's really annoying. However, you can circumvent this lag by simply telestepping onto the stage with zero lag.
Thank you :lick:

Not that I can do it too consistently, but it seems like just how lightstepping is aiming for your sweetspot just above, telestepping is right below. It's tougher than lightstepping I find, but all these little sideB things are important for experienced wolf players to get down.

Revven

FrankerZ
Today I discovered something kind of interesting to the MK and WOlf match-up, dunno if you guys already know about it but, did you know that Wolf's dash attack (if timed correctly) can AVOID a Dtilt and Dsmash from MK? It's pretty mind blowing and I tested it with a friend, we did it twice, and Wolf COMPLETELY ****ING avoided the Dtilt and Dsmash because of him flipping backwards.

I'm going to get a quick vid of it if ya'll need proof.

D

Deleted member

How is Wolf's metagame developing recently?

I know it's a complex question with a complex answer, but I'm a former Wolf player looking to come back to Brawl (idk if you remember me)

Adapt

Smash Lord
What are some of the best ways to make it on the stage after you grab the edge... everything I try seems really punishable

tekkie

Smash Master
What are some of the best ways to make it on the stage after you grab the edge... everything I try seems really punishable

Depends on the stage and where your opponent is. All options are different.

-Let go, jump on
-Roll back on
-Jump up
-Attack
-Scar

Probably some shizz I missed. But, depending on the situation, all can be useful. Let go and jump on allows for an attack. Rolling back on can be quick. Jumping up puts you away from the ledge and also allows for attacks. Attacking is okay if they're vulnerable. And, of course, scarring puts you in the middle of the stage, useful if they're right near the edge or just aren't prepared.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
SideB is way too punishable, personally ledgehopped fair (uair on sloped stages) is generally the way to go offensively, ledge attack <100, roll, and ledgehopped airdodge are somewhat more defensive options.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
SideB is way too punishable, personally ledgehopped fair (uair on sloped stages) is generally the way to go offensively, ledge attack <100, roll, and ledgehopped airdodge are somewhat more defensive options.

yes i agree with this. I love ledge hopped fair cause it autocancels :) . Also (this is kinda a dumb question) but i noticed that there are two variations of a ledge recovery attack (a fast one and a extremely slow one). Ive never really been sure how you do each specific one. My hunch Is that it is based on the amount of time you are on the ledge?

thanks

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Its based on how much damage you've taken.

Slow= Your damage>100%
Fast= Your damage<100%
what if your damage is AT 100%!!!!:dizzy:....

lol jk

but ya short guys are a pain to bair.

@Arc: im not ignoring you. I just have no idea if ff bairs have more lag. It seems like they do though....

Adapt

Smash Lord
Thanks, though personally i think roll is far too punishable to use when an opponent is waiting for you to get off the ledge.

What do you think about ledge-hopped reflector? I used this with a bit of success after I posted last.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Thanks, though personally i think roll is far too punishable to use when an opponent is waiting for you to get off the ledge.

What do you think about ledge-hopped reflector? I used this with a bit of success after I posted last.
Ledge-hopped reflector->aaa combos, just make sure the shine hits or else its easily punished which happens if you become predictable with it.

tekkie

Smash Master
What is ledge dropping -> reflector good for/against? Do you save your jump for after using the reflector or use it before? Does it matter?

mith132

Smash Apprentice
What is ledge dropping -> reflector good for/against? Do you save your jump for after using the reflector or use it before? Does it matter?
This move is pretty good to gimp other characters with. Be selective when you use it, cause gimping a mk with shine will probably put you more at risk than him lol. On the other hand, shine gimp is great on diddys and other space animals. Yes i generally save my second jump for after i use the reflector, but i havent really tried it the other way so dont completely trust me on that :laugh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom