• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. *Take 2*

cutter

Smash Champion
To quote put
---INSERT STUFF HERE---[/*quote] tags up, but remove the asterisk.

I am unable to send replays to a friend for some reason. His address doesn't show up but we both registered our Wii #s and Brawl FCs and it STILL won't let me send replays or any photos to him.

When I hit the thing that says "send", no addresses show up so I can't send a thing. Can someone please help me out badly?

Rawbi

Smash Rookie
Excuse me for being a noob, but...what does "no Johns" (or something to that effect) mean?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Thanks MenoUnderwather. I'll do that.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to quote. As you can see I haven't done much posting and I'm just too lazy to look up how to quote right now. Thanks.
Lulz, typos are mildly amusing. Anyway, either use the tags Cutter said or simply click on the "Quote" button underneath the post you want to quote. To quote several posts, click the "Multi-quote" on every post you want to refer to and then "Add Reply" at the bottom of the page.

Excuse me for being a noob, but...what does "no Johns" (or something to that effect) mean?
Yes, no excuses (**** klaptraps, lava, you talking, etc.). Weird lingo these weirdo posters use...

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
What's the best character to use online when you're completely sick of all the lag bull****?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
What's the best character to use online when you're completely sick of all the lag bull****?
Not sure what you mean. Are you asking who's the top tier character for Online is?

I'd say Ike, but that's a big guess.

AQT

Smash Rookie
how can u make Pit's arrows go out of the screen one way and come back the other side?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Is there anything Terios does not know the answer to :)?

Sealock

Smash Rookie
What does it mean to 'camp' in SSB? As an FPS player, its usage here makes no sense to me...

Edit: and another thing (this might not be a simple question, but I figure it's better here than in a new topic)...

I've recently started looking at the competitive Smash scene (i.e. watching YouTube and reading Smashboards) and there's something that's a little confusing to me. It's a little difficult to explain, so bear with me... On the one hand, I see people talking about "tech" and discussing possible applications that various moves might have in combos. On the other hand, when I watch matches, almost every move seems to be based on the actions of the opponent, and there isn't anything I would really call a combo. Furthermore, the only advanced technique I see being used (I may not be noticing some others, or I may be watching the wrong videos) is the dash attack cancelled u-smash.

In other words, it would seem from what I'm seeing in videos that all I need to do in order to get to a tournament level in SSBB is to play lots of matches, thus improving my reflexes and my understanding of the game. What I seem to be reading on the forums, however, is that in order to get anywhere I need to practise technical things for hours on end and devise combos in my head before putting them into practice. Which of these is the better way of looking at things?

Any advice on this matter is welcome.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Camping is when you go to one end of the stage and hit them with projectiles repeatedly.

As far as the tech thing goes. I don't devise combos personally. I use whatever I think will hit judging off of spacing and game knowledge.

Sealock

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Now that I think about it, I could have worded that a lot better. Your simple answer was basically all I was looking for.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Is there anything Terios does not know the answer to :)?
Yeah. But I know MOST of what's been asked.

Thanks. Now that I think about it, I could have worded that a lot better. Your simple answer was basically all I was looking for.
Don't get me wrong though. Stuff like DAC Usmash and character specific techs(Arrow Swarm, Spinshot, Klaw hop, etc.) are most certainly necessary as they give you more options. But it's intelligent USE of those options that matters. Wavedash and stuff all you like. If you Wavedash into my tipper Fsmash you don't win because you're fancy. It's all about application.

Sealock

Smash Rookie
Agreed, I'm not going to use your advice as an excuse not to learn ATs at all. By the way, what does wavedashing refer to in Brawl, if anything? I think I've seen it used in some contexts, but I understand that it had another meaning in Melee (I haven't really played since SSB64 so I wouldn't know) which refers to something not possible in Brawl.

Edit: and, while I'm at it, "tipper" Fsmash?

Sealock

Smash Rookie
That wiki is amazing - I'd seen it before but didn't realise how much in-depth stuff was in there. Thanks Terios and Knyaguy. I'm finding these boards unusually helpful and welcoming, not to mention active. :D

D

Deleted member

i've got a quick question

How do you collect frame data in brawl.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
That wiki is amazing - I'd seen it before but didn't realise how much in-depth stuff was in there. Thanks Terios and Knyaguy. I'm finding these boards unusually helpful and welcoming, not to mention active. :D
Remember most Wiki pages can be edited by anyone and could contain incorrect/outdated info.

Sealock

Smash Rookie
Noted. However, I think everything I saw there is easily falsifiable, and many articles link to videos demonstrating what they describe.

I think I have one more question...

In my (limited) exploration of this site and others, I'm seeing a lot of debate about Brawl's potential as a competitive game in comparison with Melee. Some of this I understand, some is gibberish to me, and perhaps for me (a non-Melee player), reading it is no more than a way of passing the time, but I can't help but wonder how recent all of that stuff is. So, simply for the gratification of my own curiousity, can someone try to briefly outline the current conclusions, if any, of that debate, and the extent to which it is still being argued?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Noted. However, I think everything I saw there is easily falsifiable, and many articles link to videos demonstrating what they describe.

I think I have one more question...

In my (limited) exploration of this site and others, I'm seeing a lot of debate about Brawl's potential as a competitive game in comparison with Melee. Some of this I understand, some is gibberish to me, and perhaps for me (a non-Melee player), reading it is no more than a way of passing the time, but I can't help but wonder how recent all of that stuff is. So, simply for the gratification of my own curiousity, can someone try to briefly outline the current conclusions, if any, of that debate, and the extent to which it is still being argued?
There aren't any. People are STILL arguing. It's essentially going to be a stalemate. Something for players to argue about during downtime. XD

i've got a quick question

How do you collect frame data in brawl.
The only way I know of that you'd have a chance of Frame data capture is probably a USB Gecko.

Tried all of the methods...
Is there somewhere that states all of the differences in the PAL version of brawl yet?
ty
As far as I know the only difference is that the Pokemon's names are all caps or something. Not entirely sure on that.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah. I heard that most of the time spent preparing for the PAL release was due to the fact that the game had to be translated into 5 different, european languages. And of course, the people who do the pokemon voices have to get it juuuuuuust right before they'll let them go.

So yeah, the localization process is what took it so long. I've played the Japanese Version and PAL version to reasonable extents, and I cannot see any major differences. >.<

EDIT: If anything was going to be nerfed, it would have been Dedede's chaingrab, and by the looks of things, it's still very much intact. So yeah, for once PAL doesn't get the nerfed end of the stick.

AbsoluteZero255

Smash Journeyman
view threads and have less advertising?

Actually, only few have ever gone into the realm of being banned before. They all never came out.

But, if your banned and your name is Gimpyfish62, you can still post. (or is he banned?)

A question:

Do you know Shippidge? Yeah, Shippidge, the maker of the SSBM machinama, Smashtasm? Does he have an account?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
view threads and have less advertising?

Actually, only few have ever gone into the realm of being banned before. They all never came out.

But, if your banned and your name is Gimpyfish62, you can still post. (or is he banned?)

A question:

Do you know Shippidge? Yeah, Shippidge, the maker of the SSBM machinama, Smashtasm? Does he have an account?

Gimpyfish has a custom title. He's not really banned. He's just cool like that.

http://smashboards.com/member.php?u=56111

why aren't more genitalia based characters represented in the smash series?

....Shut the hell up.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
What is "Raring"?
It stands for Reverse Arial Rushing. Its when you run one direction, and then quickly move the control stick the other way AND jump at about the same time. Maybe jump a little later, I honestly don't use this very often. If you do it right, you should continue forwards in the air but be facing backwards, allowing you to approach with your b-air instead of your f-air. Its also useful for mindgames.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Is this a glitch, or is it my controller? When I use Lucario's ExtremeSpeed along the floor of stages, then try another ES, it doesn't work a 2nd time.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
It stands for Reverse Arial Rushing. Its when you run one direction, and then quickly move the control stick the other way AND jump at about the same time. Maybe jump a little later, I honestly don't use this very often. If you do it right, you should continue forwards in the air but be facing backwards, allowing you to approach with your b-air instead of your f-air. Its also useful for mindgames.
i had no idea that was a real technique, i just started doing those so my bair would hit them to the side and not diagonally up.

is uair pronounced "u air" or "where"?

Top Bottom