• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. *Take 2*

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
You CAN record 3 minute matches. Even if you go to SD (sometimes).

Kicknchickn

Smash Rookie
Generally, that is not allowed. On the first match, you can call for a double-blind, which means that you both tell some third person what character you want to play (without knowledge of the opponents character). Rules vary a bit from tournament to tournament, though.

After the first match, picking characters and stages goes like this:
1. loser picks stage.
2. winner picks character.
3. loser picks character.
thanks for clearing that up. it really bugged me when that guy waited for me to pick and counterpicked twice.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
For the purposes of anything that's not a grab, Z counts as A or L/R.

Meaning if you press Z in the air you'll either dodge or attack, and likewise.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Internet Speak - Quoted For Truth.

You quote someone's post and say "QFT" if you just totally agree with no real input other than that.

Kicknchickn

Smash Rookie
ok so i have another question. after both players have picked their characters, if i picked zelda would i be able to switch to shiek before the match. if not is there a way to start out as sheik besides picking him on the character screen (like pressing L or something like in melee)

CaptainP90

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I decided to play Brawl after a while of not playing and as soon as I turn on the game it gives me a song. This song is my 200th song and it is titled Corneria.
This song sounds nothing like Corneria and after I press back and get into the game I look for it in the sound test but I can't find it. I have a Corneria under Smash Bros. (Melee section) and one under Star Fox and neither of them are this song. Has anyone else randomly got a song turning on the game or know what this song is?

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
How to approach MK better with ic?
Interestingly enough, this question is not in the right spot,
This thread is for simple questions and approaching MK with anyone can be quite complex.
I would post this question as its own thread in the IC character specific forum, and other IC players will respond and tell you what they think.

Smash Ace
ok so i have another question. after both players have picked their characters, if i picked zelda would i be able to switch to shiek before the match. if not is there a way to start out as sheik besides picking him on the character screen (like pressing L or something like in melee)
Linklord is correct. Selecting your starting character includes the transformation, so you cannot do this. (If your opponent did not formally call for a double blind, it's less clear. However, I still wouldn't do it. It's really rude, if nothing else.)

Once again, this rule might vary a bit from tournament to tournament.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
sry that i ask a stupid question but what is d-loop or f-tilt

I haven't heard of d-loop, but I think you might be refering to Pit's Arrow Loop.

here - http://youtube.com/watch?v=x8-FGf24cfc

f-tilt is a forward tilt. This is when you lightly tilt the control stick forward and press A

There is also u-tilt(up tilt) and d-tilt (down tilt)

also uair, dair, bair, fair, and nair,
Your Up air, Down air, Back air, Forward air, and Neutral air respectfuly.

Check out Smash Wiki For more info.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
ok, this one is simple, i think, whats is "buffering a jump" ?
Saw this go unnoticed so far. Buffering is simply the ability to input a move early and have the game "remember" it and execute it at the next possible opportunity. You might notice that sometimes, you can input a whole lot of moves at once, and the game will perform several of them, even though they were inputted while a different move was happening, when they actually could not be executed. This, in a simple sense, is buffering.

So, in particular, buffering a jump, as mentioned repeatedly in the ISJR thread, as i'm sure you noticed, is just talking about inputting a jump before your character is technically ready to perform one, so that he/she will do so at the earliest possible opportunity.

I encourage you to check out Doval's Buffering Guide in the Links to In-Depth Threads sticky for more information.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering, I am wanting to post my Smash Replays on youtube, but i don't have a video card, if i go buy an SD card, and get an SD card reader, could i put the replays on the SD card, and put the vids on youtube?

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
Replays are just data that the game interprets to make two (or more) computer-controlled characters fight as you did. You would have to use a video camera to film a replay on your TV.
eh..ok....i thought it recorded it and maybe put it in AVI format or somthing...

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
eh..ok....i thought it recorded it and maybe put it in AVI format or somthing...
Nah, they're not actual video files, they're just a series of instructions used to recreate the match, just like, for example, Starcraft replays. This is why occasional glitches often have the amusing effect of completely altering the outcome of a match. If those instructions get confused, completely different stuff happens.

I'm still waiting to hear what Referrals are, too. Anyone have an answer?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Listen, I'm not an idiot, but I'm not understanding some of the stuff everyone says. I haven't found a terminology thread, but is there one anywhere? What does DI mean? What does 'two stocked him' mean? It's such common knowledge that there's no explanation when it's used. I play Smash A LOT, but I've never bothered to ask anyone some of the meanings. It took me forever to realize IC = ice climbers. >_>

Is there any terminology thread?

And yes, I used the search bar. I'm also mentally ******** whenever I search for anything, so I found nothing. Sorry if this is a noobish post.

M.K

Level 55
Listen, I'm not an idiot, but I'm not understanding some of the stuff everyone says. I haven't found a terminology thread, but is there one anywhere? What does DI mean? What does 'two stocked him' mean? It's such common knowledge that there's no explanation when it's used. I play Smash A LOT, but I've never bothered to ask anyone some of the meanings. It took me forever to realize IC = ice climbers. >_>

Is there any terminology thread?

And yes, I used the search bar. I'm also mentally ******** whenever I search for anything, so I found nothing. Sorry if this is a noobish post.
There isn't really a thread devoted to it....I mean, maybe there is, but it's buried by now. If you just add in "Hey, what does ________ mean by the way?" at the end of some of your posts, almost guaranteed someone will answer you.

DI= Directional Influence. Basically, if you get smashed off the left side of the stage, you will want to smash the control stick UP or DOWN while hurtling towards your doom to stop your "leftward" momentum and increase the chance of you surviving that hit and recovering back to the stage. Likewise, if you are smashed UP, you want to smash the control stick LEFT or RIGHT

"Two-Stock"= When you play "Stock" mode, obviously you have a set number of lives that you must kill your opponent X amount of times to win. When you say you "Two-stocked" someone, it means you killed them twice without yourself dieing. Likewise, a "Four-stock" is someone who has typically won the game by a landslide, because in the competitive scene, players usually play with 4 stocks each. So if you ever see "#-Stocked" (# being any number), just think of it as that person winning by alot.

Smash Ace
Here's a compendium of SSBM terms. It won't have the Brawl-specific stuff, and sometimes the terms have changed in a subtle way, but it's still a pretty good resource.

Our Brawl language is still evolving fast enough (and is diverse enough) that making a thread devoted to it would by difficult. When it calms down some we'll make a thread.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Check the Melee board, Asaph. I know there was a pretty solid terminology sticky there at some point. One was never really drafted for Brawl, we take a lot of terms for granted. Some common "basic" terms:

Bair, Dair, Nair, Fair, Uair: Back, Down, Neutral, Forward, and Up aerial moves, respectively.
ABA, ADA, ANA, AFA, AUA: Aerial Back A, Aerial Down A, etc. A lesser used aerial notation.
Usmash, Dsmash, Fsmash: Up, Down, and Forward (side) Smash moves.
Utilt, Dtilt, Ftilt: Up, Down, Forward (side) tilt moves.
DI: the basic ability to control your momentum with joystick in air.

Umm.. yeah, idunno. We do take a lot of terms for granted, I don't know what else to put... In general, though, I'd say just feel free to ask, either here or in a thread where you find a new term.

@Meta-Kirby, is that really how it works? I thought it was however many stocks you had remaining at match's end was how many you "# stock'd" someone. The way you define it, it would be possible to "two stock" someone early in the match, but still end up dying after or even losing. I always took it to be a final outcome term. Also, the Brawl stock standard changed to 3, in most cases.

Edit: 2.72 beat me to the Melee term thread. You just live in this thread, don't you? Head honcho, for sure.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Thank you, everyone. Bare with one more question? Do any of you know when we can expect, at an estimate, when there will be a program, or emulator, that converts Brawl replays into actually video files?

Smash Ace
Thank you, everyone. Bare with one more question? Do any of you know when we can expect, at an estimate, when there will be a program, or emulator, that converts Brawl replays into actually video files?
That would be tantamount to a Wii emulator with a Brawl ROM. Interpret as you will, but I very much doubt that such a device will come out soon.

((Also, I know that a lot of you won't care, but using it would be illegal. Ripping/using ROMs in an emulator normally is.))

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
There's lots of devices that allow you to record video input from the Wii to TV, basically "Snagging" the signal that's being transmitted and copying it. I forget the name but that's the only way to have that done.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I think Referrals are the amount of people you introduced the site to.

When you register an account it asks you if an existent member recommended the site to you, and that's when that person gets a Referral.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom