• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I guess so, yeah the MK had 140%, see i even forgot the percents :p. I wasn't the only one who sucked in his first tourney, but i guess i've made some new contacts. I'll definitely try to get better. I also have a problem with friendlies, i play them to win, not to improve, i'll change that. Suddenly everyone in singles played so ****in crazy good that i got nervous xD. Against Jumpman i just felt so pwned...

Thanks for giving me a good feeling guys :D I feel like i ****ed this thread up xD.

PS: I think the Ganon was pretty good, i've never seen a Ganon like that before. :p And the Uthrow was on the main platform, he didn't DI it.
try to get some of the almere players on ur msn man.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
what are the different ways to pivot walk? i only know the one where you hold attack and pivot with the c-stick. is there one where you won't ever accidently charge a smash?

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
what are the different ways to pivot walk? i only know the one where you hold attack and pivot with the c-stick. is there one where you won't ever accidently charge a smash?
The only thing similar to this is the Pivot Boosting, which is done by pressing back and forth so you are continuously turning while moving forward.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol wow. Nice kill then XD. Well, nice mindgame into uthrow kill.

Np, you didn't f*** up anything in here.

@M4ge

Unless if they changed the term "Craq walking", then you are wrong. Craq walking is when you jump or do some kind of thing in the air that gives you momentum and you land on the ground and hold a direction to continue the momentum.

What you described is pivotwalking, the same thing that GPEternity has already been doing.

I've always used the simpler way (simpler, not necessarily easier), which is what M4ge described.
Upon your post GPEternity, I've just realized that I've done the other method, your method, incorrectly XD.

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
I used to play a lot of Melee, and used Wave Dashing to get in tippers whenever available.
As far as Marth goes in Brawl, what would be my best strategy spacing-wise to maximize my tipper-count?
Currently I just use the control stick, but I have a feeling that there is a better way.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
why did they have to nerf marth's range so much =[ being outranged by somone's limbs is stupid. being outranged by somone without an arm to swing his sword with is even stupider. >.>

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Agreed. Besides, you'd think Marth's sword would extend further than MK's considering he actually has arm's, lol.

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
soo...any advice other than the control stick?
Because I know the ranges, its just annoying sometimes when I cant hit tippers that I could have easily gotten with wavedashing there.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
soo...any advice other than the control stick?
Because I know the ranges, its just annoying sometimes when I cant hit tippers that I could have easily gotten with wavedashing there.
No actually, you need to sit in training mode and get a feel for the tip, best you can do.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
learn to adjust your spacing without wavedashing, thats all you can really do unless you find a way to mindgame your opponent into spacing badly.

i think you may be reading into the utility of the wavedash a bit too much. even with a wavedash you have to space, the wavedash doesn't space for you. picking up brawl marth requires you to completely relearn your spacing regardless of the existence of wavedashing.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble baiting Snakes air dodge. I can't seem to get the timing right to fall at the same rate as him and, because of this, I'm having a hard time killing Snake. Any tips would be appreciated.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble baiting Snakes air dodge. I can't seem to get the timing right to fall at the same rate as him and, because of this, I'm having a hard time killing Snake. Any tips would be appreciated.
You could try SHFF to force him to pick a direction then Usmash him as he lands.

As for other killing options, you can try to get them off or below the stage to set up for spikes. Dtilt them when they're trapped above a ledge to force them off. IMO ledge trapping is a great way to set up kill moves on Snake and other characters in general.

C.J.

Smash Master
You can always just DS him out of his cipher and let the cipher hit you to save you. Not as effective as MK shuttle looping but still works.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
doesn't snake not get his cipher back if you hit it and not him? so you if you can't hit him out of it you could always do that and if hes low he won't be able to c4 himself and he'll fall to his doom.

LFL

Smash Journeyman
I'm not talking about off the stage, sorry. I mean when hes at like 100% + and i grab him and throw him up to try and set up an up air or tilt.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
well if your having trouble killing him then off stage would probably be where you want to work on.

as per juggling him, try letting him come to you, like take a jump and let him fall into you and wait for the ad there. if your low enough to the ground you can uair and if he manages to dodge that go right into an upsmash or utilt. you could also just act like your going to usmash him and as he airdodges into the ground grab him and throw him back up. mostly you're looking at trying to figure out how the snake in question likes to get around your traps and meet him there.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah one generally good way to set up for a potential killer, while safetly juggling if it fails, is to jump or short hop. You can jump towards the Snake to make it look like you're going to Uair. If he doesn't air dodge, then continue falling with him and fast fall if needed, and even throw out a uair if you want in case if you fast falls into you. If for the whole time he doesn't air dodge, you can just land on the ground first and utilt or upsmash or anything. If he does air dodge, then you can use your second jump to uair if you need more range, or if you're close enough to the ground, you can land quickly into a utilt or upsmash (fast fall if needed).

Yeah it is a bit ridiculous how someone's limbs go further than Marth's reach. Well Marth still has very good range and he's still a solid character, it's just that it is harder to space now than in Melee, and will require more skill in that aspect. If you look closely at Marth's animations when swinging his sword, you have to admit that the animators did a good job of not making his sword swinging look ridiculous in the way that it still seems like he's swinging with his arm span and not shriveling his hand up to his shoulder and just swinging from there.

@M4ge

Well you can call anything you want the way you want, so if enough people call pivot walking Craq walking, then it's "called" that. But right now the technique used to spin while moving forward is called pivot walking, while it is also called pivot boosting or Haze walking XD.

Terminology is like a battle isn't it?

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
marth's fsmash still looks really wierd though, he definitely forgets to extend his arm on that one. ugh, if only he did.

so how do you pivot boost and maintain it? just like flick opposite constantly while walking forward?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
marth's fsmash still looks really wierd though, he definitely forgets to extend his arm on that one. ugh, if only he did.

so how do you pivot boost and maintain it? just like flick opposite constantly while walking forward?
While holding A, walk while tapping diagonal up and back repeatedly on the C-stick. If you're walking to the right, tap up and left; if you're walking to the left, tap up and right.

EDIT: Just saw your post in the last page. It's a matter of muscle memory. If you tap C-stick in the right direction, you won't F-smash.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Couple questions, mainly regarding MK.

!. What's the safest edgeguard against him? I don't wanna wind up being the one offstage.

2. How can I beat the nado? Besides counter.

3. I don't have a third question, I just like the number three.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Couple questions, mainly regarding MK.

!. What's the safest edgeguard against him? I don't wanna wind up being the one offstage.

2. How can I beat the nado? Besides counter.

3. I don't have a third question, I just like the number three.
a1. Don't edgeguard at all. Stay spaced from the ledge ready to whip out DB, Nair, or a pivot grab. Technically you could ledgesnap --> ledgehop Bair.

a2. Fsmash from a long distance, DB1, and Dair from the top.

a3. Interesting, I like the number 8.

C.J.

Smash Master
a1. Don't edgeguard at all. Stay spaced from the ledge ready to whip out DB, Nair, or a pivot grab. Technically you could ledgesnap --> ledgehop Bair.
Idk, I see people edgeguarding MK a good bit. Not trying to kill, but just get a few hits for damage in.

a2. Fsmash from a long distance, DB1, and Dair from the top.
Then tipper nair and SB and DS

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Hi all,

I'm a Marth main in CT (I play Icylight quite often and am teaming w him at his next tournament) and I seem to be having one minor problem with my spacing. Rolls toward me. What is the best way or best move in my arsenal to punish rolls toward me? Should I not be double fairing and just punish with a well timed SH fair? F tilt? D tilt? Grab? What is my best option?

Also, what grab do you recommend I use the most? f and d throw near ledge and u throw center? Different for certain character weights?

That's pretty much my only issues/pondering questions with Marth right now.

oh yeah and is Final Destination still considered one of marths best neutrals? Lately I've been kind of hating it and leaning more towards smashville, Battlefield and Yoshis.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I'm a Marth main in CT (I play Icylight quite often and am teaming w him at his next tournament) and I seem to be having one minor problem with my spacing. Rolls toward me. What is the best way or best move in my arsenal to punish rolls toward me? Should I not be double fairing and just punish with a well timed SH fair? F tilt? D tilt? Grab? What is my best option?
Your best option is Dancing Blade.
Other good options: Grab, Dtilt, and Jab. You're looking for quick, easy to combo with moves, all of these will give you a decent chance to follow-up for more damage.

At killing percents, smashes and Dolphin Slash are acceptable

Also, what grab do you recommend I use the most? f and d throw near ledge and u throw center? Different for certain character weights?
What grab? Pivot grab. If you mean what throw, then it does depend. Against Meta Knight, use aerial release at percents under ~180%, because he can follow up with Dolphin Slash, Tipper F-air, Tipper N-air, Dash attack and Tipper D-air. Against other characters, it depends. My rule of thumb is: If D-throw combos into F-Smash at 0%, use D-throw most often; if F-throw combos into F-Smash at 0%, use F-throw most often. You should be mixing it up, though, and not using one specific throw

oh yeah and is Final Destination still considered one of marths best neutrals? Lately I've been kind of hating it and leaning more towards smashville, Battlefield and Yoshis.
Battlefield is Marth's best neutral. Battlefield is Marth's best stage. This is the order of the neutrals from my favorite to my least favorite:

Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Your best option is Dancing Blade.
Other good options: Grab, Dtilt, and Jab. You're looking for quick, easy to combo with moves, all of these will give you a decent chance to follow-up for more damage.

At killing percents, smashes and Dolphin Slash are acceptable

What grab? Pivot grab. If you mean what throw, then it does depend. Against Meta Knight, use aerial release at percents under ~180%, because he can follow up with Dolphin Slash, Tipper F-air, Tipper N-air, Dash attack and Tipper D-air. Against other characters, it depends. My rule of thumb is: If D-throw combos into F-Smash at 0%, use D-throw most often; if F-throw combos into F-Smash at 0%, use F-throw most often. You should be mixing it up, though, and not using one specific throw

Battlefield is Marth's best neutral. Battlefield is Marth's best stage. This is the order of the neutrals from my favorite to my least favorite:

Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
My bad, I meant throw. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and my hands work faster than my brain.

Yeah, I usually use f and d throw. I know the MK release grab. Its the only reason why I dont totally dread MK. It's not such a bad match up when you learn it. It took me a whilllleeee. It's extremely annoying to know that I have to play really smart against scrub MK's....hes just that stupid of a character. Any d smash over 100% and Marths in trouble. Gay.

Yeah, I definitely prefer SV and BF over FD.

I've heard from soooooo many people that Marths pivot grab is absolutely incredible. Is that the animation where you run the opposite direction and quickly hit towards your opponent to get that increased grab range? I can't find myself to do that yet. It's that crucial, eh?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
He means that lylat is a terrible stage and PS1 is better as a starter.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I don't think Lylat should be a neutral either. A neutral stage should be a stage where you can concentrate with minimal distractions from the stage. Lylat tilts, and therefore it's not a flat surface...

Just what I think.

Like ToZ said, Battlefield is generally Marth's best neutral stage. DB is always a really good choice if they roll.

Yup, Marth's pivot grab is awsome. What's great about it is that if you have enough space on the stage, and suspect they may approach you, you can do a pivot grab... it's absolutely safe for you, and absolutely awsome if they run into its huge range. It's even better when you do a Retreating Pivot Grab, where you slide back even more while you perform a Pivot Grab, giving you even more space without being punished.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Neutrals for Brawl have generally always been a joke. They should be

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshis Island

end of story.

PS 1 has that dumb windmill and ledge crap
lylat is uneven and the stage ****s up recoveries

Also,

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211455

I took a look at this and I'm beginning to think that Marth is pretty bad on Final Destination. Any character that can camp decently well (Toon Link, Link, Pikachu, Falco, DDD, etc) really do quite well VS Marth on FD. I'm not saying that they have the advantage per se but it seems like striking that sage is a good option in tournament because of your inability to dodge projectiles and use platforms to your advantage which, is one of Marths best strengths with his uair, utilt, nair, and on BF....f smash and f tilt

as a marth main I would definitely strike Final Destination and Yoshi in tournament. I feel liek Marths garbage on Yoshis because 90% of characters really have no issue recovering there and marths ledge game to me goes down by a good 25% in effectiveness. You get that dumb (time for the platform to go up) BS. Oddly enough, I'd say probably the opposite for Lylat because of the angeled ledge makes your d tilt look scarier to opponents. lol.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
DeDeDe has an advantage on FD cause he has more room to grab **** btw.

Marth ***** people on FD aswell 0.o (MK anyone?)

Albert.

Smash Master
It seems like 4 stages would be bad for stage-striking because its an even number, meaning whoever strikes first has an advantage striking two stages, the other guy strikes one inbetween those two, then they play the last one.

Top Bottom