• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
I prefer Fthrow, Nair, Uair, juggle

that's my favorite but I have a lot of dificult fast falling the Nair in the right time, so I drop it quite frequently u.u

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
pierce, (or anyone ) what are some combos on snake at 0% ?
-also what's the BEST way to di away from snakes up smash to avoid the missile other than counter
-and finally what's the best way to escape snakes jab and forward tilt, is it possible to up b outta it?

:phone:

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
no fthrow fthrow dair?

that doesn't apply for snake, at most fthrow to stutter step fsmash

for the DACUS, you can either DI away or down, that way you follow snake while he dashes, avoiding the missile and geting a good position to counter attack (I mean punishing him, not countering), but that goes for low-mid percent.

for higher percents just DI up so you won't get hit by the missile and get the best direction for recovering from above, or just to have a better recovery window.

if you didn't meant DACUS, and were just asking for upsmash, then DI behind snake, the mortar hit will send you behind him (similar to the first hit of marth's upsmash)

for jabs or ftilts, if you're close enough, SDI behind him on reaction, if he tilts you perfectly spaced, then DI/SDI away, then shield/dodge (or stutter step Fsmash/Dsmash if you're badass)

I don't know if you can DS between the Ftilts though.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Since Snake is a heavy weight character, you can't get a lot of follow-ups on him from an Fthrow, so I usually like to Fthrow into UpDancingBlade if they're not DIing it properly. This sets up the best follow-up. If the Fsmash will knock Snake off the stage, take it. Edge trapping him early can be very profitable.

C.J.

Smash Master
no fthrow fthrow dair?

Idk for sure if two are guaranteed, but fthrow->dair definitely is.

that doesn't apply for snake, at most fthrow to stutter step fsmash
Fthrowx2 might work (I think it does). stutterstep fsmash is like... the worst thing to do vs Snake.

Since Snake is a heavy weight character, you can't get a lot of follow-ups on him from an Fthrow, so I usually like to Fthrow into UpDancingBlade if they're not DIing it properly. This sets up the best follow-up. If the Fsmash will knock Snake off the stage, take it. Edge trapping him early can be very profitable.
I still don't like using fsmash there. I much prefer fthrow x1/2/3->DB to have him offstage from almost anywhere. If they're close enough to the ledge where you can't get fthrowx3, then they're close enough to be dair'd which is, imo, even better than just a normal ledgetrapping situation since you're forcing them to C4 themselves as well.

I like DBU if you'd have to carry them across the entire stage to get them off, though.

How does one approach against Snake?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=314417

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
cool guide cj, very helpful

How does one approach against Snake?
I short hop alot. idk if that's best or not but it works, depending on his damage one of my fav combos is tipper uair to side b stall to uair to nair. some one else may know of a better approach method tho. short hop is just so good bc no matter what they do provided your spacing is good you can react to it quickly

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
cool guide cj, very helpful

I short hop alot. idk if that's best or not but it works, depending on his damage one of my fav combos is tipper uair to side b stall to uair to nair. some one else may know of a better approach method tho. short hop is just so good bc no matter what they do provided your spacing is good you can react to it quickly

A falling Uair actually combos into pretty much everything and there's no reason to put a sideB into that equation until you are ending the combo.

smashnovice

Smash Rookie
What controller setups usually work well for playing marth? I know everyone has different kinds of setups, but I'm just trying to find a good one to start with to get used to.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I always used standard controls for marth with gamecube controller, it allows you to do everything you need to and it's a little easier to leave tap jump on for dolphin slash and usmash out of shield. you might consider using X or Y for block, some people do this because the springs can slow you down but I find I still use both buttons to jump so it didn't work for me. when I used the wiichuk I used

Z: shield
C: special

d-pad: smashes
A: attack
B: jump
A+B: special
1/2: grab

tap jump off

which does hurt a few aspects of marth's game but I never quite figured out any wiichuk scheme that didn't, no matter what you do you're going to sacrifice something. in any case I recommend standard controls with GCC, and possibly experiment with X or Y shield and R jump(removes need to claw and also allows you to easily DS/usmash out of shield with tap jump off)

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Any tips for the TL matchup? I'm having trouble getting past his running away and projectile spam. Should I be trying to catch the bombs? Also, what's the best way to punish his zair?

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
Then you're doing it wrong. SideB doesn't even combo into anything besides more hits of SideB. If it did, it would be all types of broken, LOL. Imagine if we could just hit confirm all our aerials!!!
well when I connect with the tipper uair there in the air *now* all other options knock snake to far so I jump do the first hit of side b to keep em stuck there then immediantly fast fall into another uair and finish with nair. it's prolly more fancy than guaranteed tho.

smashnovice marth is one of those characters that really doesn't need any control changes. maybe you wanna turn x to grab and changing L to attack so u can doop walk like uh boss but neither one of those is really necessary. check out the advanced technique thread there's some techs mentioned that's much easier to do with custom controls but it's up to u to choose.

smashnovice

Smash Rookie
I'm playing gcc just because this is what I've been doing since melee, but should i switch to wiimote+nunchuk? I wouldnt really know where to begin with that........

smashnovice

Smash Rookie
That's what I've been hearing. Are there any advanced techniques I'd eventually have to switch over to a different type of control setup to learn with marth?

etecoon

Smash Hero
if you have a good GCC don't bother with it, I only ever attempted it because I broke like 3 controllers and my last GCC controller had a really bad analog stick. wiichuk is second best because it's really hard to map controls in a way where you aren't giving something up or making it stupidly difficult, classic controller is a little better in that regard but the sticks are like third party quality and it's suicide trying to play a precision character like marth with that. the only real flaw with the GCC controller is the trigger springs, though you can buy a screwdriver to remove them for like $3 IIRC but it's not really a big deal anyway

tldr: stick with the GCC

Knighto

Smash Rookie
For SHFF on nair or anything else, do you attack and press down during the animation or after the animation? I can't seem to get it right.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Can someone advise me as to how to better use Marth's D-tilt? It seems like whenever I use it, it either doesn't come out in time, gets jumped over, or simply shielded without problem. At least from my own matches, I don't really see how it helps Marth's game considering the existence of Jab and Dancing blade.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Edgeguard gimmicks? lol idk, probably as a mixup or to punish some careless Lasergames by Falco or Fox, I don't remember myself using it anytime lately, though

C.J.

Smash Master
Well for one dtilt is *functionally* safe on shield.

It forces them to act.

It beats grounded approaches and is safer than jab/DB on shield (jab is a better AA though).

It's a poking tool.

Good vs IC.

If you just dtilt their shield once then wait, you can react to most things they do (especially roll and SD) and punish it.

Excellent at ledge traps.

Just watch NEO vids. He has used it the best.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
can some one explain to me the benefits of grabbing the ledge with ds? or point me to a thread, also can some one point me to a thread that explains how to do true pivots. please

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
can some one explain to me the benefits of grabbing the ledge with ds? or point me to a thread, also can some one point me to a thread that explains how to do true pivots. please

are you talking about the ds instant ledge grab? its fast... good to gimp diddy/spacies recovery, refreshes invincibility frames, etc.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
maybe, I read some where that instead of just grabbing the ledge it's some times better to jump off and up b to the ledge but it wasn't explained why

C.J.

Smash Master

True pivots are when you stop yourself from dashing again out of a foxtrot.
So you do:
> > < >(back to neutral position w/in 2 frames)

maybe, I read some where that instead of just grabbing the ledge it's some times better to jump off and up b to the ledge but it wasn't explained why

The only reason it'd be "better" to DS to the ledge rather than speedhug is if you're terrible at timing and don't want to go too early.

DS regrab trick lets you regrab the ledge quicker than any other method, if done frame perfect there's only ~3 frames of vulnerability. It's also great for gimping kirby, Ike, MK's SL (well, not great, but definitly hilarious), Diddy, another Marth, etc.

Top Bottom