• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
What are some good ways to space against Diddy kong? I don't mean tips for dealing with bananas, I'm relatively comfortable with those, but simply dealing with things like his side B, forwards air, and other tools. It feels like my opponent gets inside my guard way too easily without bananas, then actually sets up once I've been launched away from the stage.

On a related topic, how do I approach a Falco/Snake? With Falco I have the hardest time getting in thanks to his side B, and with Snake an aerial seems to over-commit me, while his F-tilt defeats my ground spacing.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
maybe, I read some where that instead of just grabbing the ledge it's some times better to jump off and up b to the ledge but it wasn't explained why

:phone:
well, if you can't speedhug efficiently and normally you miss, then you can do a DS ledge grab instead.

I used to make use of it because of the problem I described, then I got the timing right so now I just use it for last frame timing or just because.

majinvegeta010688

Smash Apprentice
What is the device called that is used to record smash videos to put them online and/or what is required to do so.

Thanks!!!

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
what makes a good controller a "good" controller?

I was watching a stream with Esam and m2k playing and when they got done Esam held m2ks controller and made a face like he went all over himself.

is it like the sensitivity ? or...lol like what? serious question btw.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
what makes a good controller a "good" controller?

I was watching a stream with Esam and m2k playing and when they got done Esam held m2ks controller and made a face like he went all over himself.

is it like the sensitivity ? or...lol like what? serious question btw.

Usually a good controller is when all the buttons work perfectly with no problems at all.

Sounds like M2K's controller might of not been as good or it just felt weird to him for some reason.

Can someone advise me as to how to better use Marth's D-tilt? It seems like whenever I use it, it either doesn't come out in time, gets jumped over, or simply shielded without problem. At least from my own matches, I don't really see how it helps Marth's game considering the existence of Jab and Dancing blade.
D-tilt is a fairly solid move at edge or if you appropriately space an aerial. If an opponent blocks a SHFF's Fair you can throw out D-tilt to poke at their shield or hit them from under.

I remember a D-tilt mindgame that M2K mention a while back, though this was for Melee the same principles can be transferred over due to the properties of the move. If you are near the edge and you D-throw someone you can turn around and D-tilt. If they miss the tech or tech in place they will get hit by the D-tilt, if they tech forward you can just grab them, or since its faster in this game; dancing blade. D-throw>D-tilt is useful as long as you are facing away from the edge.

D-tilt is also good for punishing bad recoveries since it goes off edge really well and arcs them down a bit. While Marth has great strategies for approach he can also play unpredictably since all of his moves are useful. Being creative with Marth is deadly in my opinion.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I remember a D-tilt mindgame that M2K mention a while back, though this was for Melee the same principles can be transferred over due to the properties of the move. If you are near the edge and you D-throw someone you can turn around and D-tilt. If they miss the tech or tech in place they will get hit by the D-tilt, if they tech forward you can just grab them, or since its faster in this game; dancing blade. D-throw>D-tilt is useful as long as you are facing away from the edge.
In Brawl this doesn't work because with proper DI on any more you'll just grab the ledge straight away.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
D-throw>D-tilt is useful as long as you are facing away from the edge.
does this mean that the D-throw sends the opponent to the center of the stage?

if not, it doesn't work, like chair said, it's easier to grab the ledge.

may work with B-throw though, considering is faster but the angle is lower

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
if you get hit out of your up-b the next time you land you get the lag from up b. I was told landing with a aerial move would cancel it. is this true?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The Recovery Carry-Over lag is when you use Up-b and you Snap the ledge during it, and next time you land you'll have that lag.

But yes, you can cancel it with a properly timed aerial.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
yeah, the lag you get after doing the up-B is known as RCO lag (Recovery Carry Over).

so whenever you do an up-B, your next landing will have up to 35 frames of lag, to get rid of it, land with an aerial, IT WILL NOT REMOVE THE LAG COMPLETELY, but will take the most of it.

remember, this happens whenever you do an up-B, even if you're hit or just land, you'll get RCO lag.

the only time you don't get RCO lag is when you land in a free fall animation, that means, when you did an up-B, didn't get hit and landed helpless on any surface.

RCO lag will get away if you die too, just in case

hope it helped

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
By using an Aerial to be rid of RCO lag, the RCO lag is entirely ignored and the aerial will have 1/3rd more landing lag to it.

Nair/ Uair/ Fair all have 9 frames of Landing Lag normally. However, with using it to rid of RCO Lag, any of those 3 aerials will have 12 Frames of landing lag. Which is significantly better than 15/ 35.

Zion

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zion_Hikari0
Question: What is so wrong with having tap jump on? Everyone says it sucks and all the top player marths dont use it. Is there any particular reason????? Someone please give me a decent answer.

C.J.

Smash Master
If you take what you just said, and make it the exact opposite in every way, then you'd be right.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
can't up b OoS without tap jump on.

although I play with tap jump off cause it messes me up, but I have jump on L so I can still do things OoS in that way.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
Use default controls, it's just awesome to find a wii, plug your controller and **** everyone :)

Zion

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zion_Hikari0
Well you can Up b Oos with tap jump off, All you have to do is hold up on the anolog stick and press the jump and upB at the same time. I set Y as special. @Zano

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
Question: What is so wrong with having tap jump on? Everyone says it sucks and all the top player marths dont use it. Is there any particular reason????? Someone please give me a decent answer.
in case you didn't understand what cj said, what you said is untrue. Some people may say it sucks, but the top marth mains will not say that. Almost every top marth main with the exception of Mr. R (ramin check me on this) plays with tap jump on. It allows us to up-b oos faster, and for marth, those couple frames are everything. and it allows us to buffer other stuff like our aerials. I find having tap jump on--for marth at least--is beneficial.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As long as you can make the input correctly (Shield,jump+up+Special), I guess it doesn't matter if you have TJ off.

Zion

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zion_Hikari0
Ok, THanks ScareMI.

Another question, what Is a buffer with marth and how is it performed????

Agreed @ Kyokoro.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
Ok, THanks ScareMI.

Another question, what Is a buffer with marth and how is it performed????

Agreed @ Kyokoro.
buffering a move, is a technique that works with every character (hence marth) and consist on inputing a command during the ending frames of the last move done (was 10 frames, correct this please), i.e. you do a spot dodge and when it reaches it's finishing frames, you input another move like Up-B.

the idea of buffering a move is that you'll ensure the move will come out at the very first avaliable frame, it's great for punishing multihit moves with DS, or normal moves with grab, D-smash, Up-smash, etc.

it's also used by characters who can do dacus, most notably falco.

hope it helped

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Tap jump on doesn't give you anything. You don't do anything faster provided that you're buffering your moves, certain things actually become harder to do (ie with MK: the 'Rain loop').

I don't understand why people actively advocate tap jump on because it's 'better'. It's a matter of preference and there is no reason to push anyone into any controls.

It allows us to up-b oos faster, and for marth, those couple frames are everything. and it allows us to buffer other stuff like our aerials.
This is one huge lie and you should feel bad about posting this.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Tap jump on doesn't give you anything. You don't do anything faster provided that you're buffering your moves, certain things actually become harder to do (ie with MK: the 'Rain loop').

I don't understand why people actively advocate tap jump on because it's 'better'. It's a matter of preference and there is no reason to push anyone into any controls.

QFT

Tap jump is preferential. Some specific techs are easier with tap jump off, but tap jump on can cause negative consequences too. It's basically a pick your poison type of thing. Are you more worried about being able to UpB a Nado consistently and do a RAR JC USmash with ease, or do you prefer to make sure you don't jump accidentally when trying to angle your shield up.

Almost everything can be done from either control scheme, but some things require more precision than others, and both control schemes have their own advantages.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman

my bad. I play with wiimote+nunchuk. Tap jump must be on lol

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Is there anywhere I could look at the hitbox of Marth's pivot grab? I've heard the range is really good, but I'm having a hard time getting a good feel for just how much it covers and where to use the move.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
practice in traning to get a feel for the range. use it when they have a bad habit of spotdodge spamming your standing grab, when they dash toward you, when they AD into the ground when you're juggling them, etc.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
idk if any of yall have tried platform canceling or dashing with tap jump off buts its a little easier. id imagine this is why ramin plays with it off. although i like having tap jump on. it doesnt mess me up at all.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I just use cstick down to platform cancel, it's bad if you miss with it but it's pretty easy to do so it doesn't happen much. technically speaking pierce is right, you can execute with either setting, it's just a matter of what you want to be easier. personally I like standard controls because in addition to being used to them for years, I'd rather not have to enter my controls/tag constantly at tournaments, I just make sure rumble is off and I'm good

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
idk if any of yall have tried platform canceling or dashing with tap jump off buts its a little easier. id imagine this is why ramin plays with it off. although i like having tap jump on. it doesnt mess me up at all.
How does it make platform canceling harder? I never press up while platform canceling I always do either C-stick down or Air dodge

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Learn to platform cancel like pros. Hold the stick down and then press the Cstick in any direction. The timing is way easier and allows for easy buffering. And if you miss, you will do an aerial of your choice.

Top Bottom