• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
i just had a general question. what characters is it better for marth to ff fair and which is it better to do rising fair. and for rising fair, which characters is it better to do sh fair and which to do fh fair. Idk if im doing the right types of fair at the right time.

also, help with the yoshi MU plz

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to marth, I normally main pit but I'm a bit bored so I gave marth a try.

I read/hear everywhere that marth's dancing blade is one of his best move, why is that so?
It's a very good move hands down but I don't think it's one of his best moves. Enlighten me plz.
And when do I use what combination of the dancing blade?
The normal one is pretty nice and sometimes I use the lower version to mix it a bit up but only if the enemy can't di out of the fourth swing.
And the upper version I dont have use for it.
Some suggestions would be awesome.

Last short question. Does an uncharged, tipped shieldbreaker always breaks the shiled I'm not pretty sure about it ^^

thanks in advance

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
1. NAIRS BETTER. But dancing blade is one of marth's best moves as its a 4 frame disjointed long range move that can be done out of a DASH (and in the air!) to punish so many things is amazing. It also resets her move hit queues for nair/bair/uair/fsmash to be fresh. Fantastic move.
2. Pretty much you should always be using "all forward" (or sometimes all up to extend juggles), but get THIS a lot of people can consistently DI out of the way of the second forward hit and hence punish you - but not if the second hit is done UPWARDS, rest forwards.

And uncharged tipper shieldbreaker does not always break shields.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
For some reason, I almost always mess up the Dancing Blade. How do you perform that move? Is it timed, side-b, side-b, etc.? Or do you hold over on the control stick and press B rapidly? My marth would be tons better if I knew how to perform that move >_<

Prince Nero

Smash Cadet
Same Thing Used To Happen To Me I Used To Just Mash Try Takeing It Slow Kinda Like In Melee lol When Marth Completes His First Swing Then You Can Swing Again
First>Second>What Ever Direction You Pick

Prince Nero

Smash Cadet
Ok, so what I'm hearing is that its side-b, then another side-b, but it's timed? Is that right?
Yes Basically After Marth Completes His First Swing That Same Moment Is Your Chance To Swing Again And You Don't Have To Do Side B Every Time You Can Just Tilt The Control Stick In What Ever Way You Want And Press B He'll Do Automatically Just Remember Complete The Swings First Hope I Helped In A Way :cool:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
sup
someone said that you can fthrow fthrow bthrow bthrow bthrow tipper fsmash falco

Does that actually work? I thought you HAD to dthrow not bthrow

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Yes Basically After Marth Completes His First Swing That Same Moment Is Your Chance To Swing Again And You Don't Have To Do Side B Every Time You Can Just Tilt The Control Stick In What Ever Way You Want And Press B He'll Do Automatically Just Remember Complete The Swings First Hope I Helped In A Way :cool:
why do you write the way you do

just whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nike.

Smash Hero
Sakurai obviously had something against marth.
Every throw doing 4% except for one which does 5%.
And then you look at characters like MK/Diddy/Dedede.

It's just not right.

Prince Nero

Smash Cadet
ok i apologize greatly :urg: and just wanting to know. is it true if you charge a foward smash and hold up you gain height for a possible tipper?. people have always been telling me that but idont know if its true i know on some characters you can tilt their smashes but i figured it wouldnt work on marth. once again i aplogize for "trolling" ( i didnt know :/ )

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth can't tilt any move.

You still need to work on the grammar.
Don't apologise for "trolling", just realise that while it's the internet, the Marth boards care a bit about its users having coherent posts.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Yo, is there anything that can help me get down the timing for a tippered fsmash from gr while the platform on SV is moving?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I learned about the fthrow x2 --> dthrow x3 --> tippered fsmash quite a while ago
But I believe I've seen MikeHaze do the same thing, but with dthrow x4
Is this also guaranteed? (Assuming you grab at 0%)

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
I learned about the fthrow x2 --> dthrow x3 --> tippered fsmash quite a while ago
But I believe I've seen MikeHaze do the same thing, but with dthrow x4
Is this also guaranteed? (Assuming you grab at 0%)
yah i've seen him do the d-throw x 4 on DEHF. for me, i've always managed to tipper it, but the more times you do it, the more likely you are to mess up. i sometimes whiff that fourth grab, and the difference is only 4% between dthrow x3 and dthrow x4, so in matches, i always stick with d-throw x3

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
This man is brilliant
indeed.

nah, getting serious, just try to get some control over your gimps, because your damage source comes mostly from your aerials so, juggle, read and stuff.

practice gr stuff, chain grabs and follow ups at 0% (too many to tell you here) and spacing

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I play this one Snake a lot, and since I started seconding Marth, I thought I'd ask here. When I go for a juggle, he just drops the C4 under. If I jump up, I get blow'd up. If I wait, it resets. Is there any way to keep up a juggle for any length? I couldn't find any vids of a Snake doing this constantly, so I know there must be a simple way around it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well.... the "now" thing has a bit of a start up, and marth's aerial mobility isn't that bad.
you can literally weave outside of the c4 hitbox and time an aerial to hit him back up...

back air and uair are both very good at hitting snake when he tries that **** without being in any danger of getting hit by the c4.

Shockna

Smash Cadet
DB question.

I know people who aren't too experienced should only use forward DB, but what exactly are down/up actually used for at top levels, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen a top level Marth use one of them, though I haven't seen too many matches yet.

MasterOfGalaxies

Smash Apprentice
@ Shockna
Downwards DB allows you to shield poke if their shield is small, and if it isn't you can stop after the third hit, which makes Marth step back really far and out of most grab ranges to avoid punishment.

Upwards DB allows you to start/continue juggle traps, which work very well on a few characters with either slow aerials or a bad dair, such as Snake of Rob or Marth himself.

However, when facing the ledge normal DB has knockback which can be used to set up ledge traps, which work on many more characters than juggle traps, and if your back is to the ledge the normal DB knocks them back far enough (usually) that you can regain control of center stage. These make the normal DB far more viable in more matchups and in more positions.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
DB question.

I know people who aren't too experienced should only use forward DB, but what exactly are down/up actually used for at top levels, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen a top level Marth use one of them, though I haven't seen too many matches yet.
4th down hit is rarely used because at top play it's punishable via SDI, it's useful for a worn-down shield though.

2nd up hit is useful for if they are good enough at DIing the regular sideB (which is really hard unless you play v. Marth a lot) and sets them in a different angle for the rest of the DB to hit still.

3rd down hit is for resetting if they somehow haven't punished you oos yet, and for tipper/shieldbreaker/punish mindgames

Top Bottom