• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
Knowing when to use which one is really hard to distinguish at the beginning and is largely MU based/if you want to pursue them or not/if you're zoning. It's annoying.

As for other things you need to learn, when to pursue people, when it's best to just reset to neutral, trapping landings, platform pressure, zones of safety (super important), and my favorite part of the game- ledge trapping your opponent (super important).

C.J.

Smash Master
Dash one way, input another dash the same way (as if you were going to foxtrot), immediately dash the opposite way.

So, if you want to go to the right, and then the left you would input:
> pause > <

Roxas M

Smash Master
Knowing when to use which one is really hard to distinguish at the beginning and is largely MU based/if you want to pursue them or not/if you're zoning. It's annoying.

As for other things you need to learn, when to pursue people, when it's best to just reset to neutral, trapping landings, platform pressure, zones of safety (super important), and my favorite part of the game- ledge trapping your opponent (super important).
C.J, if you don't mind me asking, what do you, personally, think about which moves should be used in the situations that you mentioned?

I understand that the situation for marth's moveset is based on a lot of factors, but I believe that an understanding of what moves that different marth mains use in the same situations can help other people(including myself) sort of grasp general situations where "X" move would be useful.

For example:

• Pursing enemies: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

• Zoning: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

• Basic approach: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

• Ledge trapping: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

Since marth playstlyes vary greatly between people, I think distinguishing each person's mindest in common situations could help some of the newer marth mains, that have not developed their own playstyle learn from other marth mains who have and can explain how/why their individual decisions work.

tl;dr
New marth guide.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
People hype Leon because his tipper fsmash spacing is probably the best out of any Marth currently active. He seems to have fallen out of heavy practise; but he's a very modest and likeable person.
Broly.

Except for that last part.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I have a question regarding Olimars Grab.

You can mash out of a grab from olimar as soon as the pikmon latches onto and drags you to Olimar.
Meaning, you can possibly force a release before Olimar can get off a throw.
(It's the same thing with yoshi's, the one that freezes the game).
This is extremely important because of his low percent combo strings from throws (and theoretically save you from death throws if your mashing is like Reflex.)

So.
What's the frame advantage if you force a release before Olimar can throw you?
(basically, can Marth upb/jab/dtilt/grab/etc, or is the advantage for Olimar?)
And does it vary by what color pikmon grabbed you?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
for olimar grab, it differs, I've seen what nike asked once.

I guess you have more time with the more ranged pikmins like blue ones and full distance.
The opposite happens for short ranged pikmins like the purple ones.

That's important because the blue pikmin actually kills, so if you can mash out of grab at high percent that's a second chance to keep your stock.

I suck at frames tough, so I don't know what's the range of those numbers.

For dancing blade, it depends on your spacing, if the first hits are tipper, it's best to end with db4 down because it's range.
If you don't tipper the first hits, then use normal or up finish.

wich one does more damge, iirc forward, upward, downward and upward, I'm not too sure though.

C.J.

Smash Master
Why are there so many questions =/

C.J, if you don't mind me asking, what do you, personally, think about which moves should be used in the situations that you mentioned?

I understand that the situation for marth's moveset is based on a lot of factors, but I believe that an understanding of what moves that different marth mains use in the same situations can help other people(including myself) sort of grasp general situations where "X" move would be useful.

For example:

• Pursing enemies: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

• Zoning: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

• Basic approach: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

• Ledge trapping: I personally use "X" move instead of "Y", like others in my playstyle because

Since marth playstlyes vary greatly between people, I think distinguishing each person's mindest in common situations could help some of the newer marth mains, that have not developed their own playstyle learn from other marth mains who have and can explain how/why their individual decisions work.

tl;dr
New marth guide.
Uhhh, yeeaahhh... I'm not answering that right now. However, while I'm bored in class next week, I'll start working on something.

Is it true nair doesn't go on the stale move list queue?

^^^^above idea is neat.
Not true at all.

I have a question regarding Olimars Grab.

You can mash out of a grab from olimar as soon as the pikmon latches onto and drags you to Olimar.
Meaning, you can possibly force a release before Olimar can get off a throw.
(It's the same thing with yoshi's, the one that freezes the game).
This is extremely important because of his low percent combo strings from throws (and theoretically save you from death throws if your mashing is like Reflex.)

So.
What's the frame advantage if you force a release before Olimar can throw you?
(basically, can Marth upb/jab/dtilt/grab/etc, or is the advantage for Olimar?)
And does it vary by what color pikmon grabbed you?
I am going to go ahead and side with Chair on this one; if you're anyone but Bowser, Oli has a one frame advantage. However, I will test this later tonight so as long as someone posts some time after this, I will respond later.

What order of dancing blade makes it so SDI can't get them out?

Which order does the most damage?
Least likely to get out- > ^ V >
Most damage is whatever into 4th hit down. However, that's a terrible choice for obvious reasons.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I didn't know > ^ V > worked best. Usually I do > > > > or > > ^ ^ at low percentages because they always get out with the ^ at higher percentages. x:
And > ^ V > doesn't work for me. It must be something I'm doing wrong.

C.J.

Smash Master
What do you mean it doesn't work? It doesn't come out, they escape easily, etc. Just saying it doesn't work doesn't let me know how to help you, lol.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Side -> Up -> Down -> Side will always connect.

Grabs, ground releases have a 30 frame cool down for both parties.

Air releases, person on the ground has a 30 frame cool down.
Person in the Air has a 50 frame cool down, Except Jigglypuff who has a 49 frame cool down ( Still have Air release -> Tipper Uair. Haha [ Dead at 90% ] ).

Bowser has a 10 frame advantage over everyone he ground releases. And a 30 Frame advantages when he air releases.

Don't ground release Donkey Kong unless you want to be Down Smashed.
As he has a 10 frame advantage over people when he is ground released.

Edit:

How am I to approach a Lucario/ Falco ?

C.J.

Smash Master
Walking while shielding lasers vs Falco until you get close enough that SHL isn't a safe option anymore. Then it's business like usual.

Lucario you just do normal things. If you see an fsmash coming, nair beats Luc's fsmash. Dtilt on Lucario's shield is pretty much unpunishable as long as you react to his options quickly enough (such as rolls).

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
How should the vs. Olimar matchup be played? I really don't understand what to do against him (and the matchup thread stickied is slightly out of date...?)

Sylarius

Smash Ace
How much predicting is used in a professional game?
Are players constantly predicting where the opponent will be and what move they are using, or only occasionally such as rolls?
And what's the difference between their playstyle and an average player's?

Please answer to the best of your ability, I really am striving to become a better player.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Since we're asking questions...could some1 tell me how to play the Wario MU? Letting me know what to do in the match and what stages to CP/ban would be a big help. All info given would be greatly appreciated.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Just wall him lol
Seriously, I don't know if local Wario is bad, but all I do is retreat with Fair/Nair/Uair (and hit with the back of it) all the time, while punish with Dancing Blade.
That's pretty much it.
If you matage to read a landing or whatever he tries on the ground, grab; even better, pivot grab. Grab Release > Usmash. If 130%+, Utilt (make sure to time it well).
Wario will rarely ever shield, so Shield Breaker is not an option.
Be smart with Dolphin Slash. It may come in handy, but be careful with Wario's mobility, if you miss it you'll get severely punished. Use it for punish a Dair OoS or something.

That's the first bits of info that crossed my mind.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Thanks! But how should I recover/edge guard? Should I ever try to dair spike him or just keep him away with fair?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You most probably won't Gimp Wario anyway.
Just keep yourself onstage. Optionally, just grab the ledge, and try to get closer.

For recovery, just try to mix it up, don't be predictable, Wario can gimp Marth easily.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Reverse utilt may kill at earlier percents on Wario than tipper fsmash depending on stage / location of the air release.
Reversing makes it tipper correct? And does the turnaround have to be buffered or is the timing rather loose?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
tipper utilt has less knockback than non tipper.

the turn around is to hit with the strongest hitbox of the utilt

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
iirc it's 10% less power after the first hit, then gradually until 55% of the original power

but I doubt that a marth player has problems with it, if so then that's a problem

Nike.

Smash Hero
There's a graph on a thread somewhere that shows it.

It also takes 8 seperate moves to refresh one move. Meaning 2 dancing blade combos (8 hits) refreshes your entire movepool :)

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
the queue has 10 slots, so in fact, you need 10 moves to completely refresh a move, though with 7 o 8 it has almost it's former power back

Roxas M

Smash Master
Yeah, it's 10. lol

I was mainly asking because as moves decay more, they also lose knockback. Was just making sure what I thought was correct, so I can take that into account when I play.

Top Bottom