• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

mventre

Smash Apprentice
Is there a general consensus on the best way to momentum cancel with Marth when hit horizontally off the stage? I'd assume the best aerial to use would his fair but what about jumping after or using a b move? Which would be the best b move to use after his aerial?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Is there a general consensus on the best way to momentum cancel with Marth when hit horizontally off the stage? I'd assume the best aerial to use would his fair but what about jumping after or using a b move? Which would be the best b move to use after his aerial?
You do NOT use a Bmove when DIing with Marth. His best aerial is Fair, and you should DI to the corresponding top-corner blast zone (Aka DI up and to the corner, DJ, FF Fair).

brannerboy

Smash Rookie
One quick question: What's with everyone SH nair FFing after kills? It seems in half the videos I see people do this when they have a few extra seconds. It's not especially hard or anything, what's the reasoning behind it?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
One quick question: What's with everyone SH nair FFing after kills? It seems in half the videos I see people do this when they have a few extra seconds. It's not especially hard or anything, what's the reasoning behind it?
Haha I actually do this. It feels very fluid to me and it's usually the first thing I do when I start warming up.

After a kill for me it's usually: SHFF nair, SHFF uair.

theres really no reason for it, a lot of people just like the motion and it keeps their hands going.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
In Marth's Side B, during the green finisher where he does a multihit part (sorry, I am unfamiliar with the terminology), does it happen often where it spikes the person if it connects on the ledge? Or have I just been unlucky when it happened to me a couple times?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
In Marth's Side B, during the green finisher where he does a multihit part (sorry, I am unfamiliar with the terminology), does it happen often where it spikes the person if it connects on the ledge? Or have I just been unlucky when it happened to me a couple times?
The third hit is the one that can spike. It's an extremely weak spike and I believe the top of the hitbox is the part that spikes. Totally situational and barely worth knowing.

Asimio

Smash Apprentice
Because it's so darn sexy, even back in the melee days Ken used to be doing that all the time.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Just think of it as a taunt , but no waiting for it to end to keep moving.

tekkie

Smash Master
can someone explain the CG and what it does to Wolf? is there a thread for it? what percentages does it start/stop, what is guaranteed, is there a way to DI out, etc.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone tell me the most efficient way to DI out of Pikachu's down smash? I usually get out by pressing the analog stick from left to right repeatedly but I've seen videos of people getting out alot faster.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
So ive done a GR>buffered true pivot Fsmash as well as a utilt. It seemed to work at times; has any done any testing on this? Is that frame data wise possible?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
can someone explain the CG and what it does to Wolf? is there a thread for it? what percentages does it start/stop, what is guaranteed, is there a way to DI out, etc.
f-throw x3 -> f-smash is guaranteed unless it takes you off the edge. if he tries to do anything more than that, i assume DIing away from Marth would be enough to get you out.

f-throw x2 -> d-air = death (off the stage, obv)

ECHO_R24

Smash Rookie
Alright folks (after reading the OP i feel much better about the possibility of being redundant), here's my rant (sort-of) on my Marth playing:
First of all i would like to say i'm in college now and the crew i play with is mostly my friends who i live with. Most of them (minus myself and few of the others) are just casual players, and who trash-talk a lot and are not very skilled players. You all know, the player who you beat 99% of the time but you are always hearing about the 1% you lost. lol.
anyways, /rant.
My main questions are mostly about edge-guarding as marth. I consider myself a fairly skilled edge-guarder (when i say that i mean i can often keep opponents off the stage for a while by juggling and cliffhanging) . I do seem to have trouble transitioning from hanging on the ledge to getting kills, when i say this i mean hanging on the ledge, but preventing my opponent from up+B onto the stage or getting stage-spiked myself. I've watched several videos of Marth players blocking a recovery by seemingly letting go of the edge and dair-ing or countering to stop a recovery.

So my actual questions from this are:
-Are there certain button combinations to blocking this?
-How do i work on my ledge game?

P.S. a sidenote, how the heck do i fight annoying players who spam Wolf's sidesmash and just use rolldodges and projectiles/sidesmashes?

Albert.

Smash Master
Alright folks (after reading the OP i feel much better about the possibility of being redundant), here's my rant (sort-of) on my Marth playing:
First of all i would like to say i'm in college now and the crew i play with is mostly my friends who i live with. Most of them (minus myself and few of the others) are just casual players, and who trash-talk a lot and are not very skilled players. You all know, the player who you beat 99% of the time but you are always hearing about the 1% you lost. lol.
anyways, /rant.
My main questions are mostly about edge-guarding as marth. I consider myself a fairly skilled edge-guarder (when i say that i mean i can often keep opponents off the stage for a while by juggling and cliffhanging) . I do seem to have trouble transitioning from hanging on the ledge to getting kills, when i say this i mean hanging on the ledge, but preventing my opponent from up+B onto the stage or getting stage-spiked myself. I've watched several videos of Marth players blocking a recovery by seemingly letting go of the edge and dair-ing or countering to stop a recovery.

P.S. a sidenote, how the heck do i fight annoying players who spam Wolf's sidesmash and just use rolldodges and projectiles/sidesmashes?

Hi welcome to the boards

Regarding edge-guarding, a lot of it just comes from experience against good players. I suggest that you play people that are BETTER than you, because your improvement is only going to stay stagnant or decline from playing casual players all of the time.

Something that's important, for edge-guarding and juggling- WAIT FOR THE AIR-DODGE. Unlike Melee, The brawl air-dodge system is very kind to those on the defense. Don't let them just slip through your attacks.

As you get a better feel for the game, you'll learn the safe timing for speed-hugging the edge.
Depending on the situation-they can miss the ledge (because you're there) and die

OR they have to use their laggy up-B onto the stage, where you can most always punish them :)

Here's something I found in Steel's old thread on "states of gameplay w/ Marfy Marf"

The Three States of Gameplay

Advantage State

When Your Opponent is Off the Stage

When your opponent is off the stage Marth can rack up some free damage out there. And if the situation arises, you can gimp your opponent.

If your opponent is recovering low you can simply run off (don't jump) and hit them with a fair. If they are pretty far off and pretty horizontal (maybe a little above) to the stage you can jump off and hit them with a fair or bair (RAR before jumping off usually recommended).

If they are recovering from the high corner of the stage blast zone you can either do a bair or reverse nair. Reverse nair will hit them with the back part of the attack that angels up towards the corner. It has good knock back.

If going off stage and trying to hit them isn't the best option ledge hugging is also very recommended vs certain characters. Simply learn to time your speed hug and you may be able to effectively gimp many opponents, sometimes at rather low percent.

The link to the rest of that thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206347

Link to the thread of guide threads: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218194

Gah777

Smash Lord
I can help with this. I main Wofl and Marth is one of my secondaries. What you want to do is start noticing a pattern in thier f-smash spam. Then simply shield>grab, counter, or even jump over it. Try to bait them into f-smashing you, it has really bad ending lag. As for rolling, try to figure out which way they roll most often and try to get there before they do (basically you want to be at the spot they're rolling to before/as they get there) then you can punish with a grab, tilt, smash, etc. When dealing with Wofl's laser, just shield it.

Also, what Albert said. Play people that are better than you.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
anyways, /rant.

dancing blade is the bane of wolf's existence (a roll-spammy one at least). but yeah, pick up on patterns in his spam. don't rush in, but try to PS lasers as good as possible and be ready to block a fsmash when you get close. just wait until they figure out how to use back air XD

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Hey, I know that Marth has a grab released on Squirtle but I don't exactly play many PT's

What can I follow up w from the grab release? A rebgrab? fsmash? usmash? what?

Also,

does anyone else agree that Marths worst neutral stage is FD except against MK?

C.J.

Smash Master
You regrab across the stage then spike him.
And no, I hate yoshi's. Platform is dumb, helps people down from juggles too easily and is too high for you to really abuse. FD lets you juggle all day long.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
You regrab across the stage then spike him.
And no, I hate yoshi's. Platform is dumb, helps people down from juggles too easily and is too high for you to really abuse. FD lets you juggle all day long.
Against anyone who has a projectile in tournament FD is pretty much your ban.

That means against

Luigi
Pit
Toon Link
King DDD (chain grab too)
Snake
Mario
Wolf
Fox
Falco
Diddy Kong
Link
Zelda
Olimar
Ness
Lucas

It should be our ban with maybe the exception of the last two because its easier to get our infinite.

lol

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Not really important to my gameplay but I'd love to know this:

Where can I find translations for Marth when he does certain moves? (Counter and his taunts) Just wanna know. Always bugged me that I dont know what hes saying when he counters an attack lol

Albert.

Smash Master
Against anyone who has a projectile in tournament FD is pretty much your ban.

That means against

Luigi
Pit
Toon Link
King DDD (chain grab too)
Snake
Mario
Wolf
Fox
Falco
Diddy Kong
Link
Zelda
Olimar
Ness
Lucas

It should be our ban with maybe the exception of the last two because its easier to get our infinite.

lol
I suggest that you learn how to Powershield

C.J.

Smash Master
Luigi- Luigi can't approach us... at all so you're going to give him platforms so he has an extra way of getting to us? Umm, no, platforms are better for luigi than flat stages. Also, his projectile is a compliment to his approach, not a camping tool.
Pit- Pit spends a lot of time on the ledge, stage doesn't really matter. And actually I just got back from a tourny and played a fairly decent pit quite a bit. Honestly, I'd be much more worried on delfino than BF. And taken from the pit boards: CP Brinstar, delfino and Lylat
Toon Link- Tink does well on every stage we do and his projectiles while annoying aren't that bad really. If you don't feel comfortable on FD sure, go ahead and ban it, but, it's really player choice preference.
King DDD (chain grab too)- His projectile... waddles... really? I'll concede that seeing as how long FD is, that his CG is a little worse, but his "projectile" has no play when it comes to stage decision.
Snake- Marth beats snake here... we can juggle him forever and his grenades are distractions on this stage, just like every other one. BF/YI are FAR better stages for him than FD, we can't juggle him nearly as well there. *Hopes Shaya comes by to mention how marth ***** snake in general but even more so on SV/FD*
Mario- Again... his "projectile" is a compliment to his approach. And, he can't really approach you either, just like luigi. Flat is good.
Wolf- Do wolf players even shoot lasers at grounded opponents anymore? I would strike this because his dsmash will kill you relatively early, not because of the projectile.
Fox- You're going to end up running through his laser on every stage regardless. So banning FD because he can camp you... Besides, TKD always seems to take Marth to BF, so idk. I can see why you might ban/strike it, but I'd be more annoyed w/ something w/ a lower ceiling.
Falco- I'll concede this one to you, although, Marth definitely isn't shut down by any means here
Diddy Kong- I'd agree with this too
Link- Uhhh, sure, I guess? Bigger boundaries so it'll take longer to kill you while you can still gimp him
Zelda- Din's Fire isn't a projectile.... Also, ban frigate. Long platforms, and, if she trips you on one, she can drop through-> lightning kick. Much more common than on smalll platforms like on BF.
Olimar- Hell no, ban halberd. Stupid early as f**k usmash kill. Jab the pikmin off or ftilt them or w/e. You can actually ignore them being on you except the white ones.
Ness- *disregards*
Lucas- *disregards*

Also, how did you manage to put zelda and forget sheik? I'd agree to banning FD vs sheik. Needles are annoying and it's nice and big for her to run away from.

Other characters w/ projectiles you missed:
Lucario- While FD isn't bad for him, ban frigate, it's Lucario's playground
G&W- He is terrible on neutrals. Ban RC/Halberd
IC- I'd ban FD vs them
Peach- idk, maybe ban FD, although she does do excellently on delfino and can do fairly well on lylat too.
Pikachu- I can agree with FD. If you momentum cancel w/o having awesome DI you'll get thundered (only attack in the game that punishes you for doing something right, wtf?) and because of his QAC tricks he can camp you fairly well. Although, campachus seem to adore PS1 so I'd ban that one if you're worried about being projectile camped.
ROB- His projectiles are pretty telegraphed. I love FD vs him, he's so easy to juggle. Ban frigate vs him.
Samus- Maybe FD here. marth is just tall enough for her to missile cancel at any height and hit him. So she can easily apply some decent shield pressure here between missiles and zair.
Yoshi- Maybe RC? He can camp you really hard and really well on the dynamic parts of the stage although the normal static parts Marth ***** him on. Maybe Lylat too, idk.
ZSS- Ban PS1, by far her best stage.

Overall though, you should be able to PS almost all of these pretty consistently.

While I don't remember what all the taunts are, his counter is: Like I'd let you or something to that regard.

Top Bottom