• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
Right click on the taskbar at the very top of the client and select "move", then move it away from the top edge of the screen, then click elsewhere to exit move, and it should minimise. Works on w7 anyway.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
It's not only the japanese version, it can be done in the US version as well, but with less intensity.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
The kirby sliding up B applies to both US and Japanese versions. Japanese turn slide refers to what this video calls Momentum Sliding. I think it's Japanese only and if present in the US version, is barely noticeable.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
The kirby sliding up B applies to both US and Japanese versions. Japanese turn slide refers to what this video calls Momentum Sliding. I think it's Japanese only and if present in the US version, is barely noticeable.
Not barely, but not as the Japanese version either.
Try it with Fox and you'll see what I mean.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I have a question:

Every time I see somebody attribute a certain aspect of the game to a certain area or location (e.g. American DI), I get this incredulous attitude and end up taking whatever else they say with a grain of salt.

So my question is, do people really, honestly believe that your playstyle and general attitude when playing a game is indicative of where you hail from? Personally, I believe that is absolutely preposterous, and I have not seen any evidence that supports such a claim. People are individuals, and each and every one of us plays a game how s/he wants to play it, and wind up forming their own playstyle, indicative solely of that person.

It's not like each country or area has secret training clans in underground hideouts and meticulously craft every gamer to fit certain location-specific criteria when it comes to playing a videogame.

Feel free to prove me wrong or evince me as such!

----

This rant may or may not have spawned from King Funk's latest video, and while I'm not knocking him in anyway (I really appreciated that video and enjoyed it immensely), I'm a little concerned that he's stereotyping Americans as uptight, narrow-minded, competitive pricks with no desire to have fun playing a game, unable to comprehend "fun" and its many definitions. If I could have it my way, all my matches against everybody on Kaillera and console would be exactly like the video he posted, because that's my idea of entertainment. Still somewhat competitive and not throwing away skill entirely, but a little lighter and much, much more enjoyable than most people's burning desire to win, regardless of the cost (usually ends up being the 'fun' aspect). Now, I understand some people's definition of 'fun' includes camping with Pikachu, throwing off the edge, and F-smashing, and there are the few who like to U-tilt with Kirby on Saffron, but you're all *******s and I hate you. :)

Okay, disregard the last rant; it's been beaten to death. Just wanted to get that out there.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I have a question:

Every time I see somebody attribute a certain aspect of the game to a certain area or location (e.g. American DI), I get this incredulous attitude and end up taking whatever else they say with a grain of salt.

So my question is, do people really, honestly believe that your playstyle and general attitude when playing a game is indicative of where you hail from? Personally, I believe that is absolutely preposterous, and I have not seen any evidence that supports such a claim. People are individuals, and each and every one of us plays a game how s/he wants to play it, and wind up forming their own playstyle, indicative solely of that person.

It's not like each country or area has secret training clans in underground hideouts and meticulously craft every gamer to fit certain location-specific criteria when it comes to playing a videogame.

Feel free to prove me wrong or evince me as such!
Starcraft, especially Broodwar. Koreans and non-koreans play in noticeably different ways, to the point where the aforementioned labels are actually used to describe playstyles, eg. 'you have a really Korean way of playing'.

Korean company branches hire dedicated Starcraft coaches and pay pro-gamers to duke it out in leagues. They memorise stats, perfect unit timings and have macro and micro us mortals will never understand. There is a clear difference between the obsessive dedication of Koreans (In Korea, Starcraft is a popular spectator sport with dedicated commentators) and the mindset and playstyles of the more casual (or less obsessive, either way) non-Koreans. The very fact that the label 'Korean playstyle' exists is indicative of how nationalised Starcraft has become.

It may only be one example, but your oversight has been evinced, good sir.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
And in terms of Smash I think it's evinced in Australia. We often joke about how super serious you guys take the game sometimes, one example being when a few of you guys were talking about you got x amount of wins against so-and-so in this friendly match.

Australians tend to play a lot more lax for the most part, just trying new stuff constantly and not gimping often
unless your name is Rom

Not that playing you hardest all the time is a bad thing I'm just pointing out the different play styles. Also I don't want to sound like I'm making a blanket statement I know many of you don't play super serious all the time =)

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
When do you mash and when do you time? For things like jumping ASAP after a falcon usmash to start the uair ****, shdling, escaping pseudo combos with an aerial, mario's sh dair uair, shieldgrabbing, and any other common examples, which is better?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i think the only time i mash is when trying to stop a pseudo-combo with n-air

otherwise i have the instinctive timing down for basically everything and can rely on it

my keyboard isn't very mash-friendly

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
Looks like I have to work on my timing then, there's a whole bunch of stuff I just mash for. Btw aa, what's up with the server?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Starcraft, especially Broodwar. Koreans and non-koreans play in noticeably different ways, to the point where the aforementioned labels are actually used to describe playstyles, eg. 'you have a really Korean way of playing'.

Korean company branches hire dedicated Starcraft coaches and pay pro-gamers to duke it out in leagues. They memorise stats, perfect unit timings and have macro and micro us mortals will never understand. There is a clear difference between the obsessive dedication of Koreans (In Korea, Starcraft is a popular spectator sport with dedicated commentators) and the mindset and playstyles of the more casual (or less obsessive, either way) non-Koreans. The very fact that the label 'Korean playstyle' exists is indicative of how nationalised Starcraft has become.

It may only be one example, but your oversight has been evinced, good sir.
Even so, I thought King Funk's description for his video was pretty stupid.

"This is what we europeans do on a boring afternoon. Warning: this video contains too much sandbagging, silly tricks and things that the average american viewer would be puzzled by and just wouldn't understand."

SERIOUSLY? Different regions tending to have a certain play style is one thing, but a region not understanding what playing for fun is? Shut up, King Funk. I can see why Sempiternity was pissed off by this.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think you're going overboard, Star King. King Funk was obviously joking around and albeit he was a bit out of place a joke is still a joke, and I'm sure he doesn't think that Americans don't know how to play for fun.

However, I am not him so I shouldn't really be answering on his behalf.

Looks like I have to work on my timing then, there's a whole bunch of stuff I just mash for. Btw aa, what's up with the server?
James went camping and isn't back til the 23rd because he's a jerk with a square head.

Try MSN if you want to arrange P2P. Who are you anyway? =S

Sangoku

Smash Master
LOL of course King Funk was joking I think that was pretty obvious >_>.

And of course all these discussions (American DI, European skill, ...) are jokes.

However, I think there might be some regional differences in online play, since Europeans play against Europeans and Americans play against Americans. So there might be different tendencies, but that's due to the group of players rather than the country in itself.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I can't see it any way except as a joke.

I suppose if you feel insulted by it you can't quite take it as a joke...same thing happened when I read a lot of battlecow's old posts...

The Star King

Smash Hero
I can't see it any way except as a joke.

I suppose if you feel insulted by it you can't quite take it as a joke...same thing happened when I read a lot of battlecow's old posts...
That sounds about right. Sometimes I know/suspect somebody is joking about something, but I get annoyed anyways. Maybe I'm just being dumb.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I didn't think it was a joke, because if it was, it was extremely feeble. Whatever, I guess.
Sorry... =( That was indeed a bad joke on my video description.

The video sucks lol, it's nothing serious. I was just bored and decided to record random ****ty moments I had playing Falcon dittoes. No need to get mad over anything like that.

I'm not stupid enough to generalize how americans play Smash 64. It's just a common joke we share in Europe, just like West Coast "having bad DI". A myth, nothing else. Some of us play hella gay, some of us play for fun, just like you guys. The whole joke sounded insulting but I never intended that.

Once again sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGd0gD0QNE

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
It wasn't my intention to sound pissed, and the rant wasn't entirely based off of King Funk's video; it's been a thought stewing in my mind for a while and the video description just so happened to motivate me to rant.

Just to clarify: I'm not angry or enRAGED, I just think the elitism gets a little old sometimes, even if it's not intended to me malicious. Let's just all be, like, chill, man, and play some Smash.

And regarding the Starcraft thing, I don't know too much about it, but from what I hear, that ****'s insane when it comes to competition and pro-gaming, and I have heard that the Koreans or whatever take it VERY seriously. But for a game that's past its prime (even Melee), no such coaches or competitive scene exist, so it's very unlikely that these location-specific playstyles and attitudes will develop. I'm quite certain we're all average people living in average homes in an average neighborhood just playin' some gamez.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
It wasn't my intention to sound pissed, and the rant wasn't entirely based off of King Funk's video; it's been a thought stewing in my mind for a while and the video description just so happened to motivate me to rant.

Just to clarify: I'm not angry or enRAGED, I just think the elitism gets a little old sometimes, even if it's not intended to me malicious. Let's just all be, like, chill, man, and play some Smash.

And regarding the Starcraft thing, I don't know too much about it, but from what I hear, that ****'s insane when it comes to competition and pro-gaming, and I have heard that the Koreans or whatever take it VERY seriously. But for a game that's past its prime (even Melee), no such coaches or competitive scene exist, so it's very unlikely that these location-specific playstyles and attitudes will develop. I'm quite certain we're all average people living in average homes in an average neighborhood just playin' some gamez.
The people who should chill are the people who get angry over a few lines of bad jokes and obvious sarcasm. There's absolutely no elitism intended here.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Come now, surely you're aware of the rampant elitism on these boards. Not saying you're an instigator, but if you don't notice, then, well, point proven?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Come now, surely you're aware of the rampant elitism on these boards. Not saying you're an instigator, but if you don't notice, then, well, point proven?
I have no idea what you're talking about and why there would be elitism in a small community of 12 year old game. And I don't see what that has to do with Europeans making little jokes about the American community. Why would we, of all people, be elitist? We are a much smaller and weaker community and have no real reason to be critical of the Americans. That shouldn't mean we're not allowed a few harmless jests.

Shut up, King Funk.
Did we tell the guy who said "all Europeans are snobs" in the social thread to "shut up"?

Nope. We know it's all fun and games. We know it's just a silly joke. And so should you.

Top Bottom