• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
my tech skill and defense need work, any advice?

my offense is just fine but anytime i'm playing someone i just get combo'ed to all oblivion.

i use CF alot nowadays, soo..guess you could help me out with help with his defense.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
this might sound obvious but, stop jumping into attacks. lol

CF has no projectiles so you're going to have to use your best hit boxes to approach..bair is a nice example.

Pace your self when approaching and adjust to how your foe is trying to approach.

I personally get owned by a fox on hyrule as falcon...i get hit with many lasers.

My only means of winning in these kinda situations is to space as best as you can despite the projectiles and land your first hit...and make sure you combo them to hell...or at least throw them off the stage.... once off the stage fox is pretty easy to gimp so just use your best Dair/Dtilt

Mario is also annoying but far easier to deal with imo, but in the same regard is harder to combo...i find the easier approach makes the fight much easier overall either way.

but back to the main point...slowly edge your way with Bairs and longer ranged attacks until you see a valid opening that will not only lead you to a hit, but a follow up combo...falcon is pretty easy for this so i can't really give you much advise there...just Usmash and Uair...if you dont like that, well dont complain about losing lol...

Also, some people like to use things like dash dancing or random pivoting as falcon to help "mystify" their foe, keeping them from reading their approach. Personally I dont find my self doing much of either, i prefer to just keep the aerial attacks in between me and my foe at all times by SHing, using a long ranged / high priority attack...but not really moving any where...or very little at least.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
thats the same advice MATTS! gave me when i would jump right into his uptilts, stop jumping into attacks. If your opponent complains about u camping then thats their problem, theyre just mad that ur not sitting there letting them hit u.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I thought you were serious, King Funk, because I couldn't see how it would have been funny as a joke. If I had known you were joking, I wouldn't have reacted this way.

Sorry bro

For the record, Battlecow calling Europeans snobs also annoyed me.

Dsc

Smash Ace
So thats why you were playing by yourself on kaillera yesterday..

Stop utilting with pika at such low percents on heavies. it does nothing..And stop fairing to approach. And why are you fairing to edgeguard?
And i cbf watching the rest. So did you ditch melee?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
u-air or b-air or even d-air/dash grab/dash u-smash if you have an opening

f-air works sometimes because people are too lazy to DI, or if you're only hitting them once/twice before landing

Dsc

Smash Ace
Yeah tank...robstas not THAT crap. He knows his downb's..

Just get out of the habit of utilting with pika and fox, you do it alll the tiime. You should learn to sh uair aswell you noob

Dsc

Smash Ace
Im sorry. I was wrong, you were right. Robsta needs to impove them downb's coz hes such a nooblet.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
64 Keyboard????

I was seeing a 64dd review, then i remember the 64 came with an n 64 keyboard :O it would be possible to play smash with this?????

blaze3927

Smash Ace
not many people, no this keyboard does not work with smash, neither does the mouse/disk drive/ etc.
made solely for the 64DD.
If you feel like forking out around $200-500 for a 64dd set a good programmer would be able to add a lot of extra functions to console smash64 with the 64DD and a ROM edit. even add keyboard support and netplay.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
y does everyone play so defensive and camp, the sad thing is that its good players who play like this, makes me wanna smash my controller against the wall when ppl run away the whole match and sit in the tent.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
It's because thats what they have learned works.

And generally it does.

But i personally find it fun to steal the tent area from people who try to camp it...mah tent!

you could always demand Dreamland...where they gonna run then?

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
people care so much about trying to eek out a win in a random friendly that they play like this and its not even fun to play against someone like this. I could give out names of ppl but i wont do that. Also most ppl pick hyrule so fast that i dont even get a chance to ask for dreamland.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm trying to improve my smash game and was looking for some specific advice. I went ahead and fraps some random cpu games i played, and posted them in the link below. theses arent my best games ever played, but its just a good show of my average playstyle. I main pika, dk and kirby. I prefer to play them in this same order, so if u get bored watching my video and want to stop, watching just the first or first two is fine with me. (aka i care most about pika criticism)

theres no audio with the video, so u should prob just play ur own music while watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM395tP-51Y

total length of the vid is like 10min, like 3.3 min for each char.

I already know i need to start shorthopping more so unless u think its necessary to tell me again u can leave it out =P

dandan

Smash Lord
i just watched a little bit, work on your basics of course, learn to cancel properly, don't roll this much (or ever).
i won't say other stuff because the playing the cpu just shows nothing.
biggest advice is maybe to get online and start playing good players and ask for tips.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
If it's a friendly turn on random items (maybe at very low frequency to offend the anti-item people less) - that ought to discourage excessive camping. Nothing like a good pokeball or red turtle shell to convince someone to move :)

Or, if you don't want to do that pick a character with projectiles and camp right back.

Or, just put down the controller and start taunting them IRL.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
i just watched a little bit, work on your basics of course, learn to cancel properly, don't roll this much (or ever).
i won't say other stuff because the playing the cpu just shows nothing.
biggest advice is maybe to get online and start playing good players and ask for tips.
thanks for the advice, im kinda limited on playing online tho, since my isp sucks. but ill definitely work on these things. and as for playing comps, i think it helps as much as u let it. i mean if i wanted to i could have five stocked the comp just spamming up tilts on pika to 200%.

dandan

Smash Lord
playing pcs for training will generate a lot of bad habits.
pcs are only useful to check out combos and if you want to chill :p

Peek~

Smash Lord
people care so much about trying to eek out a win in a random friendly that they play like this and its not even fun to play against someone like this. I could give out names of ppl but i wont do that. Also most ppl pick hyrule so fast that i dont even get a chance to ask for dreamland.
Host your own games. I havent played Hyrule as host in a long time. Also some characters and your own play style sometimes force defensive play. Like your Kirby/Falcon for example, I play much more defensive against them than I do against your DK/Luigi/Mario/Jiggs

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the same boat more or less (no online, no one good to play locally). I only play AI's to practice combo'ing which I am really bad at. Training mode combos are rarely ever realistic because the training mode dummy has no DI, but level 9 cpu's will make some attempt to DI and escape, even if they do it in the wrong direction at times. And lol at all the bad habits I have picked up. When I get lazy I end up just abusing throws because all the CPU does is roll. My friends have even worse ones - one of my friends gets away with only using B moves as Falcon against lvl 9's because sadly, it works. And they all refuse to play me ... :'(

dandan

Smash Lord
cp makes no attempt to di, if it does it is just because you hit it when it tried to move somewhere.
cp does not tech either, or cancel, or anything good for that matter.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
cp makes no attempt to di, if it does it is just because you hit it when it tried to move somewhere.
Then it must try to move pretty often. Every time I've hit an AI with the full samus charge shot (which has noticeable DI frames) I always see the AI jerk a good distance in the opposite direction just like one would expect with DI. But, it's quite possible that the AI was just trying to move. Also the Mario/Luigi tornados consistently land all hits in training mode but the AI always gets out after one or two in versus. Since DI is joystick input and the the AI is trying to move when being hit then it is effectively attempting to DI, even if it is not intelligent or conscious.

I've never noticed the AI cancel anything but I have seen it tech on some occasions. I'll assume those were accidents though because it never does it consistently. Also I find it funny how consistently level 9 Mario will SH Dair - Uair and then land on his head.

Dsc

Smash Ace
CP's do tech, CP's do cancel rarely. They've done some crazy stuff like ledge cancels followed with a random *** combo. Im suprised you havent seen CP's tech before..

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to mention ledge (and occasionally reverse-ledge) DI by the AI is fairly common if you play against it enough. Also there was a time I attempted a Fox rising nair to up smash tent finisher on an AI (Hyrule) and the AI managed to save itself by somehow DI'ing into the left wall of the pit (otherwise the AI definitely had enough percentage to get KO'd).

TANK64

Smash Lord
cpus tech a lot (not majority but noticeably), and RARELY cancel. My cpus are also gods, and my captain falcon will uair>uair>dair you.

I know way to much about level 9s.

I have no friends.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Try a lulz match on Dreamland as Falcon and repeatedly Dair a CPU Link near the ledge or near the edges of platforms. Watch and be amazed at the ledge canceling and Up+Bs.

dandan

Smash Lord
cpus tech a lot (not majority but noticeably), and RARELY cancel. My cpus are also gods, and my captain falcon will uair>uair>dair you.

I know way to much about level 9s.

I have no friends.
i guess my cps are dumb then :p

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
On PC, Playing a CPU for the first time, even a lvl 9 seems to be like a lvl 2 or less, they skills seems to be improving depending on what you do against them during the matches, that's kind of weird, but there's also a limit on how good they can get, which is not big deal, however they end up being dumb anyway.

Don't know if this apply for console though.

Top Bottom