• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBWIrFlKY4&feature=youtu.be

Tell me what Falcon and Ness are doing wrong.

Edit: but mostly Ness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0nmja6BxGc&feature=youtu.be

I want to go to the next level, but I don't know what that would be.
I see that play 3 accidentally picked ness, perhaps a finger slip? Just make sure that doesn't happen again. Can't say much otherwise.

I don't get how my opponent is bad?
he lost to a ness

All joking aside, I'll speak for the falcon since everyone is covering your ness.

First off, his approach didn't vary from dash dance grab nearly at all, and he kept missing z cancels when he tried otherwise. He definitely needs to work on that.

Secondly, his recovery seemed one dimentional as well and he didn't really try anything other than recovering high (except at 2:30, which was nice).

It also seemed like he tried to tie combos even if your ness was at too low of a percent to connect, or he just couldn't start combos when he had opportunities from grabs.

Also made falcon look slow, which is never a plus

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
I was wondering, how come Peach's Castle is a legal stage for tournament play?

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yea, it just has a small bumper, and hurts pika a bit more I'm assuming lol. Or not. Good stage IMO. Cool big platform.

Although those damn legos save people more than I'd like lol.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
(lol) I don't find it to be that bad, as well. I just thought it might be a bit of a disadvantage for several characters who would usually depend on ledges, like Falcon, Link, Mario, Luigi, and (probably) Samus.

@Knitephox: lol

@TANK: Those legos really do justice (lol)!

Yobolight

Smash Lord
like Falcon, Link, Mario, Luigi, and (probably) Samus.
Probably Samus? Samus loses more than any character on that map IMO. Samus's recovery is mostly good for its impeccable sweet spotting, losing that is near fatal.

IMO it is Link's best legal map outside of Hyrule.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to repost this since no one responded to it.

Apex is just around the corner, and I've been watching tons of videos of last apex. One video in particular kind of annoyed me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKV1O-tGlk

It seems like when one player messed up, they would swear or yell pretty loudly. If I were the other player I would be annoyed and really distracted because something like that would draw me out of the game. I read the backroom recommended ruleset, and it doesn't seem like it addresses anything like this. If it were someone in the crowd, I could probably ignore it, but it's a lot harder when this person is sitting right next to you.

Also, since the tourney is going to be done Friday, you guys want to do a teams or low-tier tourney or something on Saturday? Obviously Saturday is going to have millions of friendlies going on, but we can squeeze something in.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Han I think you should be allowed to swear when you **** up

there's obviously a line you don't cross with regards to distracting your opponent, but if it's anything short of blatantly yelling in their ear to **** them up I say allow it

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yeah, unless it's REALLY out of control (never seen), then it should be fine.

Tourneys can get pretty cray anyways, get used to it.

My favorite quote while playing someone:
Yells at the screen, "Stupid ****ING Monkey!"

lllmaaooo 2good.

EDIT: @Yobo, Yes. At super low percent.
Basically after losing a stock, you come down and cc>rest.

A bit of a gimmick, but if you can react to say a fox fair then I guess it's sort of legit lol.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
I haven't tested it, but I would fundamentally say (No), considering how there's literally no lag from z-cancelling after someone lands a move, and can attack again/run away/jump before you can rest.

Despite that, I can see it working on some get up attacks, or weak hits, at low percent.

Be careful

Yobolight

Smash Lord
It's possible

In my opinion, however, it is virtually never viable
Thats a shame, I was watching some vids of Hungrybox playing melee and Jigglypuff is such a monster in that game.

Is it less viable because of the lack of dash attacking in 64 or because of a less effective crouch cancel?

TANK64

Smash Lord
Less effective cc. Sheer's a fan of it when he's in a trolly mood.

But you... don't want to miss. Definitely a noob killer, but not anything you should be doing more than like once a few games. Once they see it the whole element of surprise is kind of gone lol. (Kind of like a gimmick...)

But it seriously can work...

Also BLink I think was asking about good cc chars and I never told him.

But yea, Yoshi, Falcon, DK is what I was going to tell him.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Thats a shame, I was watching some vids of Hungrybox playing melee and Jigglypuff is such a monster in that game.

Is it less viable because of the lack of dash attacking in 64 or because of a less effective crouch cancel?
moves have more hitstun in 64, so often CC'ing won't save you enough time to take advantage of.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
CC to rest definitely works. I do it all the time. That and roll to rest is like the only reason I ever play puff.

You just have to be at like 20% damage or less.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Obviously Saturday is going to have millions of friendlies going on, but we can squeeze something in.
we should just all talk about it on friday for a teams tourney, a-la-last year; lest someone cares enough to make a thread. i have a strong feeling teams is happening

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Has anyone ever figured out why Isai is so good? I mean like we have his youtube videos online, it seems pretty easy to extrapolate as to how to be as good as him through analysis.

What I am saying is we have too much footage of him for nobody to be able to catch up with him.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
Has anyone ever figured out why Isai is so good? I mean like we have his youtube videos online, it seems pretty easy to extrapolate as to how to be as good as him through analysis.

What I am saying is we have too much footage of him for nobody to be able to catch up with him.
analyzing why someone is good and becoming as good as them are two different things.

also it doesn't help that he keeps improving too

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Has anyone figured out why Garry Kasparov is so good at chess? I mean like we have all his matches, it seems pretty easy to extrapolate as to how to be as good as him through analysis.

Battlecow

Play to Win

A haiku:

lol lol lol lol lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol lol lol lol

OK so the last line doesn't quite work but **** structure you get the point.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord

Probably because our community isn't big enough. You compare one national tournament with ~70 people a year and some online play to Melee's and Brawl's 1 world tournament a year, multiple nationals in many countries, and countless regionals allow for a multitude of people to stay mentally fit in the game to compete with the best of the best. If 64's competitive community was that big I'm sure there would be more than, say, a few people to challenge isai.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Maybe. It's also possible that Isai started traveling and playing competitively BECAUSE he was so good, and that no one who had that kind of natural aptitude for the game ever picked it up and then put it down. We can't really know.

Yobo that's a stupid question and you're a grown man so I'm not going to explain why to you.

Top Bottom