• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah ballin you've clearly dropped the ball on this one. We told you how to edgeguard mario when u posted those tourney matches vs mario however long ago it was.

And you either ignored or forgot everything we told you.

Like SK said, you can down tilt mario's up b all day. Works every time. It pops him up then you aerial him out further.

If you wanna be able to edgeguard mario with every character you need to learn how to use edgehog invincibility against him. You edgehog right before mario's up b and he'll either die (because you obviously have the ledge with invincibility) or he'll pop up on the stage. Due to animation lag you'll have enough time to either simply get up (and grab/smash) or jump up and aerial him.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Don't remember? @_@ *insert typical SK rant about you guys having terrible memory here*. I wonder why I bother writing help posts like that sometimes, they never help anyone :/

I'm so unappreciated. This relationship is over.

You gotta use the power of Google bro. Although it still was a little hard to find.

Although REALLY when you're talking about edgeguarding, tl;dr is just dtilt him. It's the best way and it's easy.
blame smashboards search for not finding that. thanks for digging it up.

Yah ballin you've clearly dropped the ball on this one. We told you how to edgeguard mario when u posted those tourney matches vs mario however long ago it was.

And you either ignored or forgot everything we told you.

Like SK said, you can down tilt mario's up b all day. Works every time. It pops him up then you aerial him out further.

If you wanna be able to edgeguard mario with every character you need to learn how to use edgehog invincibility against him. You edgehog right before mario's up b and he'll either die (because you obviously have the ledge with invincibility) or he'll pop up on the stage. Due to animation lag you'll have enough time to either simply get up (and grab/smash) or jump up and aerial him.
I did find those posts and I did remember those btw

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Ballin you should just get online and play Mario vs my Fox.

I feel like you have some mental block vs Mario and are never going to get it down unless you see it visually.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Has anyone ever considered the possibility that samus might not be the worst character?

She is a pretty good character and I have seen in person and on Youtube people like Jaimehr her ability.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, we never considered that. We just sort of worked off of the assumption that she was the worst to begin with. Weird, it sounds like the kind of thing someone would have thought of in the last 12 years.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have an entertaining and efficient way to practice tech skills/combos? I'm at the smash skill level where I know what I need to do, but I always mess up with short hops and z-cancels which ruins my combo chains. I want to get better, but I can only play in training mode for so long before I get bored and quit.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Does anyone have an entertaining and efficient way to practice tech skills/combos? I'm at the smash skill level where I know what I need to do, but I always mess up with short hops and z-cancels which ruins my combo chains. I want to get better, but I can only play in training mode for so long before I get bored and quit.
Play multiple hours against humans and focus on building muscle memory.

When I first started z-canceling I mashed Z to build familiarity with the concept without frustrating myself with timing failure (don't do that forever because it can cause technical errors such as unintentional shielding)

Short hops felt really natural for me because I used to exclusively play with Ness and do a lot of really quick DJC button slides. When I had mastered DJC I just transitioned from 2 buttons to 1 and it turned out that full hopping was the one I had to think about doing.

It all comes down to muscle memory.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Can play CPUs. For basic tech skill it's just gonna come down to getting used to it

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, short hops have already become second nature for me, but z cancels are difficult for me to time. It seems like every move has a different timing required and if you hit the opponent with only part of the move then it changes the timing as well. Ill definitely try that, but it seems like its more than just muscle memory, since all the moves differ and you have to time it so perfectly.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Yeah, short hops have already become second nature for me, but z cancels are difficult for me to time. It seems like every move has a different timing required and if you hit the opponent with only part of the move then it changes the timing as well. Ill definitely try that, but it seems like its more than just muscle memory, since all the moves differ and you have to time it so perfectly.
Within 20 frames of your landing is the window. The window isn't so small as to be truly difficult with a little practice.

hitting shields and the different falling speeds can mess you up in the early days, but if you just pay attention to your distance from the ground it is easy. Don't think about it too much just right before you hit the ground press z.

B Link

Smash Lord
I guess, if you're z-cancelling simple stuff like falcon uair combos or yoshi's dair->utilt combos xD

Doing more complicated combos against an opponent with good DI, while maneuvering on platforms, makes z cancelling much more tricky, even good players mess up on these sometimes

yaya practice makes perfect yadada. I still think the saying here should be changed to a ****load of practice makes you a little more consistent.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Why is saffron banned in tourneys?

Why is mushroom kingdom banned in tourneys?

they both seem fair to me

and why isn't ness considered the worst in the game?

Battlecow

Play to Win
the saffron helipad is REALLY bad in a lot of matchups

IDK if it's worse than hyrule but I guess I trust boom's opinion

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
the saffron helipad is REALLY bad in a lot of matchups

IDK if it's worse than hyrule but I guess I trust boom's opinion
Which matchups are terrible on it? I can see that happening, but I'm not sure which ones I would look at as being a bannable offense.

Drop some knowledge on me.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Which matchups are terrible on it? I can see that happening, but I'm not sure which ones I would look at as being a bannable offense.

I'm not very good at this game but if a kirby utilt camped helipad and I was falcon....

just yuck man. yuck.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I guess, if you're z-cancelling simple stuff like falcon uair combos or yoshi's dair->utilt combos xD

Doing more complicated combos against an opponent with good DI, while maneuvering on platforms, makes z cancelling much more tricky, even good players mess up on these sometimes

yaya practice makes perfect yadada. I still think the saying here should be changed to a ****load of practice makes you a little more consistent.
Seriously. This. These kids don't do any complicated **** apparently. You know how many errands I'm simultaneously running in 20 frames. Or maybe these kids don't play Link idk.

BLink is smart. BLink is my dawg.

I like Tom. Tom is my dawg.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Pokemon too, in case helipad utilt kirby camping isn't enough.
nados are worse than pokemon IMO. you know where pokemon are gonna come from and they don't randomly speed up

like kirby utilt camping, for example, is really great against a bunch of characters. And in my experience falcon is not a lot of fun to approach from above/from that angle with, for example, pikachu or fox

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I believe so. For example, Fox's dair lasts something like 32 frames, but if you hit the ground after frame 20 it cancels itself.

(numbers may be off)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Is there auto canceling in smash 64? I understand that there doesn't really need to be.

:phone:
If you use a move up enough in the air that the ending lag does not matter, then yeah. Just double jump off of the top of the highest hyrule platform and use a non fast-fall Ness d-air.

kys

Smash Ace
nados are worse than pokemon IMO. you know where pokemon are gonna come from and they don't randomly speed up
IMO hyrule nados are game breaking.

I definitely don't feel that pokemon are, it's just another reason that stacks up with helipad camping to make Saffron illegal.

Top Bottom