• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Play the waiting game with him, and try to bait him to attack you first, like Ballin said. Samus isn't the best person to chase someone, so you should work on getting him to approach you first, and once he's in your comfort zone, punish the **** out of him.
Sounds like his opponent's playing the waiting game as well. If both players do this, the game becomes less fun and more of a chore, especially during friendlies.

HIT 'EM HARD AND HIT 'EM FAST

go samus

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I realize that, but sometimes you gotta think like the enemy to win, to say.

Gerson knows what's up.

kys

Smash Ace
Get off Samus and go with Pika. Get those uairs going. Throw, and shamelessly edgeguard with fsmash. Fight noob with noob.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Play DL so that it's harder to camp

Approach from the air, bait usmash and punish the lag (what ballin' said)

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
thanks guys. baiting the usmash (as mario anyway) occasionally presents a problem, because i feel like the span of time between the hitbox vanishing (not to mention that ****ing invulnerability of the head) and my move is enough for him to land something else or pull off a roll. usually i start a dair chase on a platform or somewhere confined. there's also no hitbox presented in the thread for the bair, so i might have to do a couple training mode minutes to see for myself and gauge it by eye.

we play friendly (we all live together and don't really do anything tournament esque, just turn off items and play everything but zebes for the most part) and the problem i have with dreamland, i suppose, is i find it harder to pull off what few combos i can, especially because there are no walls. not to mention i have very limited options when i'm off the edge - it's fireball city followed by a dsmash with mario, or an edgehog followed by an upair with falcon, or the worst, just a floating kirby.

but a lot of what everyone said helps out. many gracias.

and i'm looking forward to tank's response :)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Pikachu is easily the best pick you have, but if you want to play Samus it's not impossible to win, just more difficult. I'll talk Samus.

Learn Samus' sweetspot when grabbing the ledge. It is incredibly low (it looks like you won't make it). Also, Up-B with Samus is really good if you're close to the edge and think you can hit them with it.

Vs Mario:
Samus' jab, B-Air and' F-Air can be used to swipe away fireballs and sometimes tack on damage (especially Samus F-Air).

Stay above Mario's level - if he's on one of the DL side platforms, jump and stay in the air above the other side platform, etc. Approach from above or the side, and bait his D-Smash by double jumping when you get near and then fastfalling with an aerial: D-Air>B-Air or just a N-Air.

Charge your plasma ball when you can, that thing eats fireballs and is a veritable threat that'll make him shield reflexively. Also note: if you are sort of close to Mario and hit his shield with a fully charged plasma ball, you can run up and use your grab for a guaranteed throw-off. If he likes to roll backwards you might even catch his roll.

Vs Kirby
Stay above him and watch out for U-Tilts. U-Tilts are not an impenetrable wall, but they are very diffcult to deal with. B-Air is big and can take advantage of the gaps in U-Tilt spam. It's also good for edgeguarding.

idk i might add more later if i have time

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
oh, also remember that Samus has the best edge grab reach in the game

probably the one thing that makes her not completely useless

she can grab the ledge from much farther below than all other characters, to the point where your hurtbox isn't even vulnerable to a lot of grounded attacks

it takes practice to sweetspot perfectly, and she can do it with both up+b and second jump, but it's well worth your time to practice practice practice that magic distance

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
i know this is a strange request but can someone post a vid of their hands doing SHDL with fox? i do it rarely and i'm not sure about the timing and a vid/tut would help greatly. thanks.

Olikus

Smash Champion
on 64 controller slide from the left c- button and you should be able to time it, with two taps on the b button afterwords. Unless your a mashernoob.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
most important part of shdl is sliding from left-c to b to make sure you get that first laser out as soon as possible after the jump

once you can do that you just have to learn to hit b again in that distinctive PEW PEW rhythm.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i know this is a strange request but can someone post a vid of their hands doing SHDL with fox? i do it rarely and i'm not sure about the timing and a vid/tut would help greatly. thanks.
Slide your right thumb from left-C immediately to B. The 2nd B is the only part where timing comes in.

It goes: C_B____B (underscores indicating time lol)

sorry i don't make vids, hope someone does it though.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Sliding never works for me since I always press B too soon.

It's so irritating because that's all anybody says and yet I can't do SHDLs and shine cancels if I just naturally slide. I have to really focus on sliding at just the right speed.

Dunno if you play Melee at all, but it's basically like jump cancelling shines. Tap jump and immediately tap B to get that first laser out.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^If so try sliding from up-C -> right-C -> B, I find you have to it like as fast as possible with that method.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
it sucks because i can do jc shines(shine cancels or w.e) just fine/ fh lasers, its just if i slide, i'll end up doing a full hop, and if i concentrate too hard the timing is all messed up. will practice though... >.<

Morin0

Smash Lord
Not really. Well, for me it isn't. That's why I asked what he meant by double uair since it seemed so easy that maybe I was missing something, lol.

edit: I'm pretty sure Semp was mocking me too.

The Star King

Smash Hero
sideways short hop double uair with Pika is way harder than shdl or Mario dair uair IMO, the hitbox barely comes out if it's perfect and you have to move the control stick from left/right to up at the right time

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
another weird thing but does link have some kind of delay before his aerials come out?

what i mean is that for mario sh double aerial, i just press R right after a jump and the attack comes out right away. For link though a lot of times I'll press it and nothing happens and i just end up jumping around like an idiot. I don't play link that often. inb4 i suck.

@SKing, for some reason i can do backwards a lot easier than forwards but i still struggle with consistently moving one direction. still think it's easier than SHDL :troll:

EDIT: thanks that makes more sense.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
sideways short hop double uair with Pika is way harder than shdl or Mario dair uair IMO, the hitbox barely comes out if it's perfect and you have to move the control stick from left/right to up at the right time
I had a pika combo that chained sideways sh double uairs so I practiced it a bajillion times and now I'm consistent at it. Unfortunately I couldn't finish the combo :(

:phone:

Top Bottom