• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^Perfect description of why training mode is useful. Every time I finish a combo with a char, I feel like that's my best char at that time lol. Shine cancels, ledge cancels, ffuair- if you have a hard time with this stuff just do a combo with it, and by the time you're done it'll be like breathing. Char control people! I have drop cancel as muscle memory now thanks to my last Jiggs combo xD (not that drop cancels are useful haha). But it's just a great way to get consistent and anything in this game, and practicing a combo is more fun than just going into training mode and practicing 1 thing over and over lol.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
what is the hardest tech to perform?

i came up with a pretty tough one today. i did it with luigi. start on any of the lower platforms of DL and pivot-shield drop-fastfall uair-ledge cancel (on the edge of DL)-fastfall ledge grab

asianaussie

Smash Hero
recovering with ness

something to do with falcon up-b insta-grab, like something > full run > taunt cancel pivot ff edgegrab > fastfall double jump up-b instagrab

idk

The Star King

Smash Hero
On the right edge of Dreamland as Pikachu, pivot taunt-cancel -> up-b glitch (that teleports you to the left) -> fastfall to eat a very low PK thunder -> double up-B recovery

TANK64

Smash Lord
what is the hardest tech to perform?

i came up with a pretty tough one today. i did it with luigi. start on any of the lower platforms of DL and pivot-shield drop-fastfall uair-ledge cancel (on the edge of DL)-fastfall ledge grab
The same thing, but with Mario lol.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
not me that time lol, must've been alex

we were over at his house and james had his account logged in

also, james nearly got kicked us out of the cinema by PEEING IN THE GODDAMN CINEMA

TWICE

NOT JOKING

then threw away a half sack of goon, as well as three cans of black douglas

****ing **** night

The Star King

Smash Hero
Press the jab and grab button pretty much at the same time, though in reality jab is obviously slightly before

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Can the lower left part of Saffron act as a "pseudo tent"(the short building to the left of the main one), since it has a wall that rises above you to bounce people off of? It's not as high as the tent, so it isnt' as good, but it appears to me as if you can link several attacks together here by using the wall, and end by spiking them down the gap.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I've seen a few wall combos mainly with grabs down there. It's tough because there are no angles or second wall to incur more bounces bringing the opponent lower to continue combos, but short combos at lowish percents are certainly doable.

Something fun I learned from Ricky's videos are to dtilt (or any move with a semi-spike trajectory) opponents in between the walls. Especially effective and particularly hilarious with Kirby!

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
okay, so i just got a usb adapter, and i really want to play online. i tried mapping my buttons, but i have absolutely no idea what to do.

problems i'm facing are,

1. my y/x axis is all messed up. i cannot move in the northwest, northeast, southwest, or southeast directions.

2. my c buttons won't work.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I think there was a vid of isai on saffron doing ftilt combos with fox. It was open mic and his opponent was like "wtf". Couldn't find it though

:phone:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
sounds like another case of MAYFLASH WOES.

"MY C BUTTONS DON'T WORK" - instant giveaway

use nrage plugin ffs
also this

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
i dun get it

i have never ever in the history of forever had problems with setting up any of the three controllers i've used on multiple machines, even a goddamn mac running VMWare

i just don't understand why people have so many problems

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
anyone know if it is possible to fastfall laser with fox from the center of the stage down into the tent? tried for a couple of minutes in 1/4 speed to no avail

then again i'm quite slow, so could be that

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
For some reason my Smash64 doesn't have characters flash a lighter color while invincible, anyone know what's up with that?

I understand there isn't much frame data, but does anyone know how much time you need to "cool down" before regrabbing the ledge, and how many frames you get invincibility. I'm experimenting with a "planking" strategy to try on my friends some time. it works like this:

1. Grab ledge with Ness(remember, these are all relative newbs)
2. Release ledge and DJ
3. Cancel DJ with PSI Magnet
4. Cancel PSI Magnet with a ledgegrab.

I'd just like to know how many frames I'm vulnerable while doing that, since I suspect it isn't used in comp. play for a reason...

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Planking is the worst strategy in SSB64 unless you're Samus, and even then it's not the best idea since nearly every character needs to expose a good chunk of their hurtbox above the ledge (easily hit by most smash attacks) in order to be in grabbing range. Not to mention the character must be "falling", so that's even more time you spend dilly-dallying above the ledge.

To my knowledge, there isn't any cooldown time, but that might just be because you physically can't grab the ledge enough quick enough in rapid succession. You have to let go, wait for Ness to do his stupid double jump dip and then start to rise before you can PSI Magnet cancel. And all the while, all your opponent needs to do is d-smash and all of a sudden you're in the worst position possible with Ness.

You have quite a few frames of invincibility immediately after the grab, but I think you lose it the moment you let go. Your inability to view the effect is due to your graphics plugin; try using Glide64.

Repeatedly grabbing the ledge is a cool concept (and that's all it is), but Ness can't do it fast enough to be cool enough, haha. Not sure about Yoshi's magical double jump grab cancel thing, and if you can just let go and do it repeatedly, because then you could do that damn fast, but I think you have to be in a position that's higher than falling off the ledge for that to work, not to mention its strict frame window.

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Semp! I got Glide64 to check out for myself how it worked, and you were right, I-frames end as soon you release the ledge. You seem to be able to Magnet cancel with nothing more than Ness' cap over the ledge(and even that happens for an extremely short period of time) though(I can pull it off unreliably); but with the lack of iframes it's useless in any case.

Top Bottom