• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Morin0

Smash Lord
I guess if they're smart they could clone the sheep so that they each have a sheep to eat and they all become sheep after eating their sheep so now nobody has to eat each other but grass and other plants.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I think i'm right because there can never be more than one sheep and all the wolves will die regardless.

/riddle

M!nt

Smash Champion
wait is this riddle implying the sheep is the only thing to eat lol

ballin4life

Smash Hero
no. all you need to know is that each wolf wants to eat the sheep, but really really doesn't want to get eaten.

the answer to the riddle btw is that if there are an even number of wolves, nothing happens, but if there are an odd number of wolves, 1 wolf will eat a sheep (leaving an even number of wolves, so nothing more happens)

M!nt

Smash Champion
I'm confused how do you know a wolf would eat a sheep if you had 69 wolves and 1 sheep.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I really don't see the link between even/odd number of wolves and whether they eat the sheep or not.
ok here's the full answer:

start with the most basic case - 1 wolf and the sheep. In this case, the wolf eats the sheep obviously (he doesn't even have to worry about getting eaten after).

ok, now try another simple case - 2 wolves and the sheep. In this case, neither wolf will eat the sheep, since if one does then he'll get eaten (we'll be in the 1 wolf + sheep case covered already above)

now think about 3 wolves - in this case one of the wolves will eat the sheep because he knows that that'll put them in the 2 wolves + sheep case where nothing happens - so he knows he won't get eaten.

and so on.

In game theory this is called "backwards induction"

Morin0

Smash Lord
Lol, I get it now. But they still die of starvation right?

==========

Where can I find good N64 controllers with a good analog stick relatively quickly? I'm looking at EBay and for some reason I don't think the sellers know what they're talking about when they say their controller is good and had been "tested" to be good.

:phone:

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^Local Play-N-Trades are the way to go. You can test the joystick for yourself that way, and it's about the same price you would pay online anyways lol.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
The wolves would keep eating the sheep until all the wolves were gone. Because they're wolves, and they don't think about this ****.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You guys are all morons. This riddle is obviously a metaphor for popular opinion versus those who go against it. After all, what's the everyday term for the blind followers of society? That's right - "sheep". And "wolves" represent the rebels who "eat" the "sheep" - that is, the ones who crush the security "sheep" feel by pointing out the flaws in the their thinking. The riddle revolves around the irony that occurs when the non-conformists' movement gains popularity, and the "wolves" actually begin to outnumber the "sheep". Society begins to consider "eating sheep" the desirable thing to do. So when "wolves" follow this trend and "eat" the now outnumbered "sheep", the "wolves" become "sheep" themselves. Ah, the irony is rich indeed.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
can't you get anything right, sk?

it's clearly based on the colloquialism 'it's a dog eat dog world' and a reflection of our own society. the wolves play the part of the dog, as dogs are a biological descendent of wolves.
the wolves are trapped on an island without resource and must eat the sheep to survive. any wolf that eats a sheep will then be susceptible to being eaten, hence dog eat dog. this gives us an insight into our own lives, in which we strive to be the best by exceeding the previous wolf but will always be taken out by the next hungry wolf.

The Star King

Smash Hero
So apparently Taylor Swift's disconnects from Galaxy like every 30 seconds for some reason. That's why she dses every game, and she also has to keep reconnecting to the server just to chat. y

MATTS!

Smash Ace
another one for the FOLKS at home....

How do you make one word using the letters in "new door"?

There is only one answer.

<3

The Great MATTS!

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
when is the (U) teams teir list coming out?

(kirby/luigi for dreamland #1 spot, fox/luigi for hyrule #1 spot.)

what about (E) or (J) version tier lists and teams tier lists??????

( (E) dittos (U)'s list for teams and link/luigi completely dominates (J), maybe even link/link)

:troll:

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I have some questions regarding landing mechanics.

I recently saw a Melee thread that showed the different ways to land on a platform depending on stuff like how close to the apex of your jump you time the platform and whatnot.

Are there always 4 frames of landing lag? (normal landing, not fastfalled)

Are there any situations where landing lag is zero frames? I know if you shine cancel with Fox, you can move instantly, but are there any other scenarios?

DK's shorthop now comes into question. There's some weird **** here. It looks like a basic shorthop (no attacks) is just high enough to land on Dreamland platforms. There also appears to be zero lag. Does this suggest that barely jumping high enough to land on a platform eliminates all lag? What is actually happening here? Why?

However, perform any attack while shorthopping, and you get landing lag. The only exception to this is Uair, which will not only give you zero landing lag, but it also autocancels. Another constraint: the uair must be performed "soon" after you jump. If you try to do the uair too late, you'll get landing lag.

Why is this? I suppose it's got something to do with DK's hurtbox as it approaches the platform and neutral and early uairs are the only movements that allow for this autocancelling.

It would make sense that these two movements lower DK's hurtbox to a point that it just barely scrapes the platform, whereas his other attacks elevate him too high above the platform to benefit from the autocancel.

Okay, makes logical sense, but what about Dair? Dair should lower DK's hurtbox the most out of all his aerials, yet that move doesn't autocancel?

QUESTIONS

The Star King

Smash Hero
Reserved, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to most of this but I need to test to make sure (at school). Will edit unless someone else knows and posts.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Are there any situations where landing lag is zero frames? I know if you shine cancel with Fox, you can move instantly, but are there any other scenarios?

DK's shorthop now comes into question. There's some weird **** here. It looks like a basic shorthop (no attacks) is just high enough to land on Dreamland platforms. There also appears to be zero lag. Does this suggest that barely jumping high enough to land on a platform eliminates all lag? What is actually happening here? Why?
Based on this, Fox's shine, and a few other things I found, I'm pretty sure it's just based on your falling speed. If you're falling over a certain speed, the 4 frame landing animation occurs. Which sort of makes sense from an IRL perspective - the faster you fall, the harder impact you'll have.

However, perform any attack while shorthopping, and you get landing lag. The only exception to this is Uair, which will not only give you zero landing lag, but it also autocancels. Another constraint: the uair must be performed "soon" after you jump. If you try to do the uair too late, you'll get landing lag.
Um, I don't know where you got this from because I tried all aerials while shorthopping onto Dreamland/Hyrule platform and I got no landing lag. You z-canceled them right?

Why is this? I suppose it's got something to do with DK's hurtbox as it approaches the platform and neutral and early uairs are the only movements that allow for this autocancelling.
Nope.

It would make sense that these two movements lower DK's hurtbox to a point that it just barely scrapes the platform, whereas his other attacks elevate him too high above the platform to benefit from the autocancel.
Nope.

Okay, makes logical sense, but what about Dair? Dair should lower DK's hurtbox the most out of all his aerials, yet that move doesn't autocancel?
Autocancels are just frames of an aerial move where you can land and not get the additional non z-cancel landing lag. Like, if you land in the earlier frames of DK's fair and don't z-cancel you still won't get the laggy landing animation. So I don't think that's what you're thinking of.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I'm not z-cancelling DK's aerials.

The point is that the game automatically cancels a DK early Uair without any input from you. Furthermore, the cancel is 100% lagless, as opposed to a 4-frame z-cancel.

The early frames of a DK Fair will cancel, but you'll still get that little puff of smoke and 4 frames of lag. The autocancels I'm talking about end in absolutely ZERO motion or graphical indication. DK simply goes from moving to instantly being still.

Here, I'll post a video.

Looks like I discovered that a late DK Fair will also invoke this perfect cancel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxsZUn1hm8I

Things to note:

1. Short hop. Note the landing animation (or lack thereof; DK just becomes still)
2. Full hop. Demonstrates normal landing (4 frames, puff of smoke, slight crouching)
3. Early dair. DK receives regular uncancelled lag.
4. Nair. Regular lag.
5. Late dair. Still regular lag.
6. Early uair. Note the landing animation from (1). I did not z-cancel this, there is zero lag, DK can move instantly)
7. Regular fair landing. Massive landing lag when uncancelled.
8. Autocancelled fair in the beginning frames of the move. Appears to be 4 frames, puff of smoke, slight crouching.
9. Late short hopped fair. This might still be in the beginning frames of the move, but the landing animation is that of (1), as opposed to the "autocancel" in (8).

HOW U EXPLAIN THIS

The Star King

Smash Hero
It automatically cancels DK's uair because it has autocancel frames at the end of the move. That's what autocanceling is. Just arbitrary frames you don't have to z-cancel that the developers decided to give to a move. You don't have to short hop on a platform to autocancel DK's uair.

Yeah, I said "if you land in the earlier frames of DK's fair and don't z-cancel you still won't get the laggy landing animation". DK's fair has autocancel frames in the earlier part.

It doesn't have the landing animation if you shorthop on the platform for the reason I explained. Not high enough falling speed.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Okay, so you're saying that if moves with autocancel frames land on a platform with low enough falling speed, you will get zero frames, as opposed to the normal four frames that come with autocancelling?

Do we have a list of what moves have autocancel frames?

The low falling speed scenario is very difficult to replicate with other characters on console (can easily be done by adjusting range on emulator), but it's feasible that other moves have autocancel frames that can take advantage of the low falling speed thing.

But hey, four frames is practically nothing, so this is probably futile. Still cool.

I like how the low falling speed thing completely eliminates any landing animation.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Okay, so you're saying that if moves with autocancel frames land on a platform with low enough falling speed, you will get zero frames, as opposed to the normal four frames that come with autocancelling?
Yeah. Autocanceling is just an automatic z-cancel, and has the same rules:

-0(?) frames landing lag if < x falling speed
-4 frames landing lag if > x falling speed
-8 frames if fastfalled

Do we have a list of what moves have autocancel frames?
Probably not, 64 community sucks with its frame data. And TBH it seems like pretty much all the aerials in this game have at least some, it's just that most aren't very significant. I find some in all of Fox's aerials in the very early parts (like first few frames, used 1/4 training mode and used the aerial RIGHT BEFORE I landed).

The only significant I can think of off the top of my head is early DK fair, late DK uair, late Yoshi uair, and all of Pikachu's uair/Ness's dair/Ness's uair.

The low falling speed scenario is very difficult to replicate with other characters on console (can easily be done by adjusting range on emulator), but it's feasible that other moves have autocancel frames that can take advantage of the low falling speed thing.
Meh, you can sideways C jump with Mario, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Pikachu near perfectly onto the platform. Also insta-double jump with Link and double jump lands with Yoshi and Ness. Also can shorthop with many characters from lower left part of Hyrule to middle part.

And you saying "other moves have autocancel frames that can take advantage of the low falling speed thing" makes me think you aren't really understanding, cause it implies you need the autocancel frames. Autocanceling has no advantage over z-canceling. The low falling speed thing can apply to both z-canceled and autocanceled aerials.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Yeah. Autocanceling is just an automatic z-cancel, and has the same rules:

-0(?) frames landing lag if < x falling speed
-4 frames landing lag if > x falling speed
-8 frames if fastfalled

And you saying "other moves have autocancel frames that can take advantage of the low falling speed thing" makes me think you aren't really understanding, cause it implies you need the autocancel frames. Autocanceling has no advantage over z-canceling. The low falling speed thing can apply to both z-canceled and autocanceled aerials.
Okay, I gotcha now. This was all a little unclear to me, but thanks for clearing it up.

I had thought autocancelling was just something silly in Brawl or maybe Melee, but didn't realize the extent of it in 64. I had always known about DK's Fair, but it just never really registered with me.

M!nt

Smash Champion
idk abut best but i have it like this

A(A)
B(B)
Top C-button(Y)
Z(X)
R(RB)
L(LB)

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Mostly pertaining to Deadzone and Threshold, along with Analog Stick Range.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Range is most realistic around 70-75% and deadzone is about 13% +or- a couple percent depending on the controller

no idea what threshold does

M!nt

Smash Champion
Range: 70%
Deadzone: 26%
Threshold: 80%

Oh but my controller's stick is a little off center so you can probably lower the deadzone

Top Bottom