• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

as a fox main i need help vs MK

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
just wondering how you guys view the matchup cause im having trouble finding a way around this one, itd be nice to see how the other side handles this and if you can offer and tips to get better....i dont really like playing serious on wifi but if any of you want to help me in the matchup send me a pm:)

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Affinity is very familiar with annoying things Fox can do in the matchup; he'll probably be here soon and when he comes I'd take what he says to heart.

TKD

Smash Lord
Blaster makes him approach.

Besides that...these things work for me

- Grabbing at high %. If you don't do anything (and pummel only once maybe twice if you wish), and they try to break the grab (more specifically tap up or rotate their control stick), they jump break the grab, allowing a free dash into upsmash to KO at high %. Even if they know not to try breaking out, sometimes people rotate the stick on reflex, which makes them lose a stock.
- Fastfalling often. Fox is the fastest faller in the game and MK doesn't fall quickly
- Jumping high and fastfalling airdodges into uptilt/grabs, specially if he jumps after you
- Running into him and shielding (grab attempt)
- Not dairing a lot because dair sucks, but it works if you land it into an upsmash at high % (around 90) or dsmash at VERY high % (around 120 close to the edge) for KOs
- Shorthop fastfalling bairs on shield/dsmash happy players
- Jumping up to him and nairing if he's in the air because it's quick and beats his aerials from below
- Not getting aerial shuttle looped while in the air, probably after getting thrown, and SPECIALLY if you've used your air jump. SERIOUSLY. It's the worst thing you can get hit by since it can put you offstage in a very bad position even at low %

The match can get too campy if your opponent shields too much and retreats when you shield. Meta Knight is hard for Fox, but then again most great characters are except a few like Diddy Kong and D3.

PS: On the MK side...

- I bair TONS. Bair outranges everything Fox has and protects MK from above if Fox is above him.
- I attempt aerial shuttle loops to send Fox offstage in case he tries shinestalling or something and it works.
- I space fair and dtilt like crazy so Fox stays outside of my range
- I don't tornado since he can DI up and pop out of it quickly and then perform nasty things vs nado like dair into anything. Oh and upsmash can go through nado or hit before it starts.
- I hope I get to dair them offstage which makes for a stock loss
- I get annoyed at being lasered by a character that runs faster

Staco

Smash Champion
Change your character or use a secondary.
You cant expect to have a solution against every character with one mid tier character.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Try to not fight MK in the air, try to battle him on the ground, more of a chance to win.

Nic64

Smash Lord
...use a secondary.
You cant expect to have a solution against every character with one mid tier character.
Who does he counterpick him with? It's ****ing Meta Knight lmao. At best you get an even matchup except you're using your secondary while your opponent is just always playing the same character because he can do that.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
when recovering, don't get hit by d-air because if you do your totally ****ed

hahahaha disregard this, you can't avoid thatl ololol So use Melee Fox instead. Except im sure he will have same gimping issues lololol

OverLade

Smash Hero
I dont think Fox can really kill a good MK. I guess stay ahead, camp, and punish him as he approaches. Though don't you 2nd MK anyway? Probably better off using him.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
wow this thread is hella old, i main Mk now but good segway to say check out my fox video though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRHtUb-V7Pg

the key in this matchup for fox is to bait an approach,punish then gtfo outta here(straight outta rookies mouth) mk is stupid good defense wise so just pressure him into approaching you with lasers etc

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Who does he counterpick him with? It's ****ing Meta Knight lmao. At best you get an even matchup except you're using your secondary while your opponent is just always playing the same character because he can do that.
Wrong. Because you get to counterpick a stage, you are able to have a game that is in your favor against the MK. For instance, if he didn't ban FD, pick IC. GG

Nic64

Smash Lord
Wrong. Because you get to counterpick a stage, you are able to have a game that is in your favor against the MK.
MK has a very small handful of slight disadvantageous stage/character combinations and he can avoid them 99% of the time with his ban, even if you consistently got your CP against MK, he's still at an advantage 2/3rds of the time or 4/5ths of the time.

Not that this matters, I didn't notice the necrobump, I wouldn't have bothered commenting if I knew that.

Nic64

Smash Lord
So what stages/characters do you pick to have an advantage against MK? I don't really feel like any (legal) combination is that threatening to me if I've beaten someones main and now they're on their secondary, at best they've gained an even matchup but traded experience and comfort for it. Especially if your main is Fox, who doesn't go even with MK on any stage, if you play like Snake/Diddy/IC's or something then you can make him pick his poison a bit, but not Fox/Anyone.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
So what stages/characters do you pick to have an advantage against MK? I don't really feel like any (legal) combination is that threatening to me if I've beaten someones main and now they're on their secondary, at best they've gained an even matchup but traded experience and comfort for it. Especially if your main is Fox, who doesn't go even with MK on any stage, if you play like Snake/Diddy/IC's or something then you can make him pick his poison a bit, but not Fox/Anyone.
It's possible to master more than one character, so the part about trading experience and comfort isn't always true. The example I gave of a stage/character combination that is threatening was FD/IC, although even something like Halberd/Snake or Japes/Falco puts MK at a relevant disadvantage.

Nic64

Smash Lord
It's possible to master more than one character, so the part about trading experience and comfort isn't necessarily true.
It's not possible to master even one character IMO, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
It's not possible to master even one character IMO, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.
What I meant is that I feel there is always room for improvement in general Brawl skill, but not in mastery of how to use a specific character.

Staco

Smash Champion
What I meant is that I feel there is always room for improvement in general Brawl skill, but not in mastery of how to use a specific character.
Of course there are some specific character skills and tricks, which you have to master with one and not with multiple chars.
Thats why most of the top players just play 1 char. ;)

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Of course there are some specific character skills and tricks, which you have to master with one and not with multiple chars.
Thats why most of the top players just play 1 char. ;)
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, here... but some top players have mastered more than one character.
lock this thread

also...fox does very well vs mk on fd
Not if planking is allowed lol.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Pick MK, problem solved.

Why are we reviving a thread that served its purpose?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
**** man, now imma mk needing help against a fox (samboner)

how do i suck less at this game!?

Top Bottom