• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I listened to many a Beatles track, the music itself is not bad, not great but decent. The words to the songs are "meh". the singing... horrible

I'm not a musicfag so I can't give you exact reasons having to do with notes, writing, or tones. This is my reasoning though.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like it just wasn't meant to be. There's nothing wrong with that. I mean, it's good that we all like different things. But do you really think they're straight-up bad? You can appreciate the merit of things you don't like. I know you dislike classic rock like VTS and my teenage sister (who are also Beatles haters), so are you sure it's the Beatles' music specifically you have such a problem with? "It's ok to like bad music but people liking it and it being actually good are two different things." is a pretty strong statement.

Hm... musically I think they're fascinating. Maybe not as crazy as Can or Talking Heads or Nine Inch Nails, but still really intellectually involving (if you want it to be). And they frame all this experimentation in the context of (hopefully) catchy songs, so you get both worlds. As for vocals, if you truly hate their harmonies, I guess I can't argue you down. Yours is an unusual opinion though. Relevant to both of those issues, "Because" on Abbey Road is largely them singing in harmony over Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata played backwards. The lyrics aren't amazing, but it's still cool.

As for lyrics, well again they're not Bob Dylan, but they wrote some pretty nifty stuff, both thematically and musically.

Across the Universe
"Pools of sorrow, waves of joy
Are drifting through my open mind
Possessing and caressing me

Sounds of laughter, shades of life
Are ringing through my opened ears
Inciting and inviting me
Limitless, undying love
Which shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on
Across the universe"

Strawberry Fields Forever
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone, but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Always know sometimes it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know, I mean, ah, yes
But it's all wrong
That is, I think I disagree"

Very reminiscent of James Joyce. I like it, especially with his delivery.

But really, they specialize in selling a song on simpler lyrics, which is perfectly valid and difficult to pull off skillfully. Someone described it as an economical approach, which is uncommon for young musicians full on their own poetic prowess. "Blackbird" is a good example.

And a great many songs which are emotional and relatable, like "Nowhere Man" or the Abbey Road Medley. "Carry That Weight" was used at the end of Cowboy Bebop because it is a highly identifiable, and poignant, example of that theme common to the song and show. That was like the cherry on top of a cake of perfection when I saw that. Favorite band wrapping up favorite anime!

"In My Life" is my favorite song of theirs and embodies both of the above ideas.

"There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone, and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all"

Heartrending nostalgia, the best emotion :)

So I can get some sort of perspective on your opinions, who are your favorite artists?

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
I'm going to say that the opposite is true. Not being raised listening to the Beatles or even knowing they existed until I was well into my teens, I can have a more objective view on their music than someone who has heard them since they were young and may have nostalgia or memories tied to the songs.
I never heard of the Beatles until I was 17. As a matter of fact, I knew nothing about music until I got into 11th grade. You could probably argue that I didn't know anything until I finished my history of rock class. No music that I listen to, besides the 80's, has nostalgia tied to them.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
That's difficult for me Arby, I find that nowadays I spend most my time listening to orchestrated music, orchestrated video game music, and electronic groups with barely any words in their music.

However my two favorite artists currently are Red and Lecrae

Red is a rock group with a mix of singing/yelling

Lecrae is a rapper

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
That's difficult for me Arby, I find that nowadays I spend most my time listening to orchestrated music, orchestrated video game music, and electronic groups with barely any words in their music.

However my two favorite artists currently are Red and Lecrae

Red is a rock group with a mix of singing/yelling

Lecrae is a rapper
Alright, got it. You're just really, REALLY spec'd away from classic rock. Understandable.

Which electronic artists, if you don't mind me asking?

Vts

Smash Champion
:woman: Vts looking cute
Daw, you mean it ;)

idk if were going to memphis this weekend since my parents don't want me taking my car due to one of my tires might be bad and been busy with school so haven't had a chance to take it to a shop.

Might see if i can borrow my mom's car but idk where they are either they disappeared last night so they might have gone out of state

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Daw, you mean it ;)

idk if were going to memphis this weekend since my parents don't want me taking my car due to one of my tires might be bad and been busy with school so haven't had a chance to take it to a shop.

Might see if i can borrow my mom's car but idk where they are either they disappeared last night so they might have gone out of state
Another one of vts' run-on sentences.

Vts

Smash Champion
And they keep running, running
And running, running

Let's get ******** in ha!
Let's get ******** in here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6j5C6cZKc4

Arby will you be up around 9:30ish to check my final paper before i summit it for class to make sure it's okish?

it's due around 10:30 so an hour to skim through it and change where i fail would be amazing, I'll buy you lunch sometime in return ^^

or if you really want you can write this 6 page paper for some money since I suck at essays lol

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
I know there aren't a lot of Brawl fans on this board, but in case anyone's interested:

Super Smash Bros: Brawl tournament @ the Conway, Best Buy on MONDAY, DECEMBER 19th at 10PM! Free Entry! Prizes are Best Buy Gift Cards (1st: $40, 2nd: $25, 3rd: $10). Go to support the scene! Rules are on the event page. For more info, just ask!

http://www.facebook.com/events/209880929091287/

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6j5C6cZKc4

Arby will you be up around 9:30ish to check my final paper before i summit it for class to make sure it's okish?

it's due around 10:30 so an hour to skim through it and change where i fail would be amazing, I'll buy you lunch sometime in return ^^

or if you really want you can write this 6 page paper for some money since I suck at essays lol
oops

Man that sleep was nice :bee:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Essay due today and final due Sunday, then I'm done. This next month will be awesome :D

Apparently we get to stay in the apartments over the break, so we'll stay the next week until he moves and I go home, then I'll come back after my birthday for a couple days' practice before Apex (can't believe we're going......). Then another week before school.

Adam, VTS might cover half of your ticket (which still leaves you paying ~150-200) if you want to go. Hotel is covered.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Alright, got it. You're just really, REALLY spec'd away from classic rock. Understandable.

Which electronic artists, if you don't mind me asking?
Grendel, Suicide Commando, Daft Punk, and a bunch of stuff I don't know who the artists are but my brother gave me the MP3's and it's good.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
^cool

Don't Care About the Matchup: Sometimes I get bothered when people play low tiers or things that aren't their main against me. I really shouldn't care and treat it all as good Melee practice(and if I **** them then they switch back to their main anyway). I know how to handle this one(just think the thing I already said in parenthesis as well as ignore it and appreciate the matchup experience), it's just a matter of consistently doing it.
SOMEONE around these parts could benefit a lot from this change.

Rhymes with "Yoshiman is the person I am talking about."

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Or, people could stop wasting my time. Everyone picks bad characters against me just because they can. How am I suppose to learn the important match-ups when no one will play them with me.
We do play the important matchups with you. And no offense, this is all mutually agreed truths, when someone is better than you they want to play less good characters to make for a higher level of competition and test their own abilities to force themselves to think more critically. If we are able to exploit your weaknesses with bad characters "because we can", even while we're able to exploit them even easier with our mains, then the problem is within and you should be able to learn even when we're not playing the important matchups vs you. Analyze your own gameplay, instead of focusing on why "why you guys try to play bad characters vs me." Because the answer you seek is within you, not us for wanting to have fun.

tldr; After you get to a certain point where you address each matchup differently, then matchup experience will help you. Until then, you gotta work on not approaching every match the same way and wondering why you get the same result. Can't play the same vs my falco as you do my ganon.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Or, people could stop wasting my time. Everyone picks bad characters against me just because they can. How am I suppose to learn the important match-ups when no one will play them with me.
I enjoy it when rusty and vice plays bad characters against me. I enjoy winning. Also a change of pace from losing to their crappy secondaries. Especially vice's fox. I hate losing to thing. Makes me feel like I'm playing like a *******. :)

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy it when rusty and vice plays bad characters against me. I enjoy winning. Also a change of pace from losing to their crappy secondaries. Especially vice's fox. I hate losing to thing. Makes me feel like I'm playing like a *******. :)
I don't have secondaries...

or I only have secondaries

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=315373

LOL this thread. Should we spill the beans? It's for that big Smash documentary.

Ace's call in the end.

G. Vice

Smash Lord

LOL this thread. Should we spill the beans? It's for that big Smash documentary.

Ace's call in the end.
LOL @ that thread. That's hilarious. Well, I think we should. I mean we have ourselves one of the most prominent smash terms associated with a person we know and see regularly. Ace started it, and with such actions come great responsibility.

Also, Adam. I'll have you know my Fox and Falco are both getting better. Especially my Falco. And they'll continue to beat you :)

The March Hare

Smash Cadet

Ace's call in the end.
:dkmelee: Still your best character.

Lol that thread. Knowing the real John. I know someone famous. :awesome:

Also, Adam. I'll have you know my Fox and Falco are both getting better. Especially my Falco. And they'll continue to beat you
The feelings this makes me feel are inappropriate with humans present. Someone get me a pillow to cry on.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Well somehow i got sick from going to you place, puked up all those fries and icecream and still have diarrhea

i feel so bad
Good thing I didn't pick the strawberry :D

also get better soon.

And AK's link is pretty aight eh?

AR_ACE

Smash Rookie
It doesn't matter to me... The term only brings back good memories of smashing in college in my dorms with rob$, caveman, and zulu. Lol at someone saying my name is "Juan" that is partially right since "Juan" is John in Spanish. I still smash with them when I go back on leave and see them regularly. I must sure move around a lot since there so many sightings lol...

:phone:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
And AK's link is pretty aight eh?
Yeah it really was.
I've started listening to all of Modest Mouse's music, starting from their first album, and so far this first album is the ****. It's perfect road trip music.
On the topic of johns and Modest Mouse:
Broke a promise cause my car broke down
Such a classic excuse, it should be bronze by now
Broken hearts want broken necks
I've done some things that I want to forget, but I can't
Their lyrics are really good, although they can be easy to ignore due to his unusual voice.

The Moon & Antarctica is generally considered their masterpiece. It's one of those albums that feels classic the first time you hear it. Like, even if Wish You Were Here is your favorite Pink Floyd album, Dark Side is the one you recommend to newbies. Or you'd recommend Cowboy Bebop before Legend of Galactic Heroes (disregarding length).

The overlying theme is modern society and all the bull**** we put up with and create ourselves just to get by. The song titles are a pretty good hint of that: 3rd Planet, Gravity Rides Everything, Life Like Weeds, What People Are Made Of. The lyrics more so:
Toe the line to tax the time
You know that you don't owe
I can't be a fool for everyone
That I don't know
The album opens with the line "Everything that keeps me together is falling apart." The following verses deal with doubts about work, religion, science, the loss of a child...

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
You guys are legendary. You even have the original John. I'm Jelly
Yep. With Ace, Devour, and Friendship Is Magic, we hold our superiority over all the other joke states formidable opponents like Montana and Iowa. Hopefully. Iowa may be secretly stacked.

I was perusing the thread and found some good memories:
This is still a good set imo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hif4qIgO26A&feature=player_detailpage

Top Bottom