• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, throwin this out there:

Also, I'm gonna start interviewing people for our blog soon. I think every week we'll showcase a different Arkansas gamer. I guess we'll alternate between here and SRK since those are the only two major online Arkansas FGC forums with active members. I'll find some way to interview players, I'll get a "scouting report" on 'em from an anonymous outside party, and I'll post a highlight video of one of their better matches. The interview will have interesting biographical aspects as well as important strategical aspects such as player game philosophy and strategies on good ways to beat said player.

The smash community interested in getting involved on this? It doesn't really hurt anybody and I think it'd be nice to showcase some of our talent.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Alright major news incoming. This has not been officially announced, but Brandon from LRGC gave me the go-ahead to post it. Let's see, where to start...

After LRGC, the LRGC guys will be launching the Arkansas Gamers' League. I'll just quote Brandon on the details:
AGL is intended to be a league that will sort of gather all the fighters and tournaments to a unified site. We're going to take the seeding we did at Road to GameCon and extend that into a season (akin to Wow Arena/MLG). We'll have clan support as well as clan/team seeding. The season will start in October and go till May. The top two games (most lilkely SF4 and SSBB) will have grand prizes. The winning team/player will get an all paid trip to Evo/MLG to compete in the name of AGL and Arkansas. We'll be teaming up with Glitch Gaming Apparell to do some AGL/GameCon/Clan shirts for the some of the top teams. Now us (GameCon guys) will only hold one AGL tournament a month, and will only focus on 1-2 games per tourney. However we want to include other tournaments under the AGL banner as long as they follow the AGL set of rules (EVO/MLG/Community rules with stat tracking and procedure rules to make sure its unifed). This way we can include more games that we can't normally do. (like if someone gets enough people to do a GGXX, or Melty BLood or SC4 tourney.)

...In the grand scheme of things GameCon will probably split in two, the serious tournaments will become part of AGL and casual games/anime will stay as GameCon, possibly rebranded to reflect its new nature.

Anyway let me any feedback you have. This is the Stage 2 of my plan to bring gaming the forefront in AR. GameCon got peoples attention, time to cultivate the attention and turn it into a public scene. We have a ton of stuff we plan to do with this. 2's for SF and SSBB, beginner brackets for those guys trying to learn, etc.

...with AGL we will build a centralized hub of information, one that will not rely on forums or facebook. Each tournament will help build that base as we'll collect their info and add it the database. Those people will be contacted about other events in their area.

...With GameCon we've made some good relations with companies like Coolermaster, and Alienware. All of these companies are looking for events to partner with, we just have to show them that AR matters like the West and East coast.

...If we can increase the number of tournaments and cities then I think it'll grow. Everyone is never going to show up to every tourney of course. But if we have a SC4 tourney in Hot Springs, SSF4 in Conway, SSBB in Little Rock, Halo in North Little Rock all in one month the community will be better for it.

There is no doubt that the road is long and bumpy. GameCon has its mountain of problems but we got over a lot of them by going, "**** it." and plowing through.
Sounds awesome right?

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
shine->wavedash->jump-canceled up-smash
the usmash shouldn't be jump-canceled here

or if your opponent is above you

shine-> jump-canceled up-smash
if you want to uthrow -> shine jc usmash someone at low percents, depending on who they are and how they fall you may have to turn around in the shine to land the usmash. something like nair/fair/reverse bair to running shine jc usmash at higher % is another option. also straight up bull rushing or tech chasing them with it [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dycw9gPr7BI#t=4m36s]

edit: how to jump cancel up smash

press a jump button and up smash with the c-stick.
I shine usmash by sliding my hand into the claw position after inputting shine and flicking it across the surface of the controller. you can just hit up on the control stick, but it's never worked for me and I have a 99.99% success rate with the claw. whatever gets the job done.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
the usmash shouldn't be jump-canceled here

if you want to uthrow -> shine jc usmash someone at low percents, depending on who they are and how they fall you may have to turn around in the shine to land the usmash. something like nair/fair/reverse bair to running shine jc usmash at higher % is another option. also straight up bull rushing or tech chasing them with it [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dycw9gPr7BI#t=4m36s]

I shine usmash by sliding my hand into the claw position after inputting shine and flicking it across the surface of the controller. you can just hit up on the control stick, but it's never worked for me and I have a 99.99% success rate with the claw. whatever gets the job done.
Claws do solve problems:ohwell:

eh http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...Zz9DA&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but realistically you try to hit jump and cstick at the same time

main control stick up + a
and
main control stick up + c-stick up

are also viable ways to jc usmash after the shine.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
yeah, but realistically you try to hit jump and cstick at the same time

main control stick up + a
and
main control stick up + c-stick up

are also viable ways to jc usmash after the shine.
so its Down-b -> up+a or up+c-stick up

EDIT 5mins later: I did it thanks for all the help. The up+a is easier and closer than the up+c-stick up.

MCSR

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been here in forever! I don't exactly belong here anymore, considering I moved...
But oh well, you guys are the first smashers I played with, so I feel like I should post random techskill updates, etc.

I just got a new controller. It's Official Nintendo, I'm not stupid enough to get a Gamestop brand one. I got it at gamestop, used, and it could hardly be considered used at all. The springs in both sticks are solid and there's no wear on either. The shoulder buttons are amazingly slow, but I'm breaking them in. The abxy are super responsive and don't click or clack at all. The only physical imperfection is a little bit of scratching on the X button that I assume is from it getting dropped or something. But it's a silver, and it works great.

As far as my playing goes, I'm nowhere near as scrubby as I used to be. My L-cancels are almost perfectly consistent, I can wavedash and waveland whenever I want to, my DI is improving steadily, and speed, both in my hands and my thinking, is getting much much better. My Falco is improving, but I'm still having some small issues. I've almost dropped Doc and Marth at this point. They will be sorely missed, but I'm not really very good with either of them. Shiek is amazing, and I'm working on learning her. She's fun to play and I get off with her almost on accident. It's weirding me out a little.

So, If we were to play tomorrow, you guys would probably still **** me, but It'd be a little more challenging for you.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Just moved to arkansas for college.

So I play brawl mostly :p
I'm at UofA in fayetteville

anyone else here with a wii? I didn't bring mine :facepalm:
Brawl community is mainly in conway (i think). Melee community is mainly in Little Rock.

Vts

Smash Champion
Well got my 2tb external in. (really 1.8)

time to start DL some anime ^^

and i have a spare 500g (465g really) spare now :S.

think its going to be my spare and my travel one for when i go over to jacks or something.

too much room now :D.

also gotta work on fixxing my BakaBT torrent ratio since its messed up since i had to reinstall windows.

also 2 weeks before gamecon get hyped!!!

woot i get payed friday, too bad its only like 30 hours :(.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Arby, have you been studying up on the Spacies vs Ganon matchup for me? You know I don't actually study, but I like to hear Professor Arb's lecture on How to deal with Characters better than your own 101.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Arby, have you been studying up on the Spacies vs Ganon matchup for me? You know I don't actually study, but I like to hear Professor Arb's lecture on How to deal with Characters better than your own 101.
F-Air and jab... and play smart. And by play smart, I mean f-air and jab. If they're behind you, just turn around. No use trying other tactics because they're all worthless.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Play against the person rather than the character.

I haven't watched any Ganon matches yet because no Ganon besides you is interesting, but I'll get to it soon.

spam the purple stuff! infinite priority :dizzy:

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
****, I did live in fayetteville, but I went to college in little rock for melee.

you should transfer down here and play some melee. you know you want to.
Can't transfer... My scholarship is too good. And i suck SO hard at melee... My hands don't have the capability of moving that fast... I've got the mindgames, but not the tech-skill.

I can't believe there's not a smash community in Fayetteville.. surely at least couple people at UofA play competitively...

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
UALR scholarships are too gooder
they sent 12k to my bank account last year on top of a free ride.

you're only limited by your dedication. tech skill isn't some innate ability, at least not to an exclusionary point.
and there's always puff.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
There's a guy named "AR Sam" that plays in Fayetteville, but I don't know if he is competitive. Also, little rock is way cheaper than UofA. And they offer good scholarships too.
Mmkay, well they probably don't offer my major. Nope, just checked, they don't. Well dang I miss my Dallas area smash... We had so many people.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
"As revenge for the fact that two of my men were killed, I even set it up so he would shoot his own son – through a door."

what a guy, that kusanagi

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Biomedical Engineering
I found this.

What if UALR does not offer my major?

Student planning to transfer to academic programs not offered by UALR, are responsible for contacting the institution to which they will transfer in order to ensure that coursework taken at UALR will satisfy degree requirments at the other instituion. [back to top]
take all the classes that aren't offered here and then transfer. ;););)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I found this.

take all the classes that aren't offered here and then transfer. ;););)
Let's not go through such troubles of transferring, rescheduling, relocating, and re-familiarizing
all for the sake of playing a game. Although, if there were a single game that would have such an impact, I would definitely say Smash bros. Melee would be it.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Lol, yea... Sorry. not gonna transfer for a game... /melee's great and I admire the uber-pro players, but I'm just not cut out for that sort of competition. Right now at least. I have to focus on my classwork and all that crap before I can even think of putting that much time into a game.

Well, in case anyone sees this from Fayetteville and has ssb, i'm willing to play!

Top Bottom