• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
I've been using Ness since I was a little kid in one game or another (I didn't even play EB until awhile after I got Brawl so it wasn't because of that), I couldn't see myself maining any other character. Of course I use a ton of characters, but those are just secondaries and I need them to throw people off and have backup plans and keep my attention and whatnot.

Hell, I'm even working on Ice Climbers and Falco, I'll rarely ever use them in tournies, if ever (I made the mistake of using my Falco too early once before...), as playing that way can bore me immensely, but still. I only decided to pick up Falco because of my friend Irvin (_Gold_), so I want to try to play like he did. And the reason I picked up the Ice Climbers is because they's trollin' and they're not used often I guess, I've also been wanting to work on some things and I think they'll help me.

High tiers in Brawl are usually boring as hell for me so yeah that too lol.

Hopefully my Ness and Falcon and Fox and R.O.B. and Yoshi and Falco and ICs and all of them will end up breaking some stuff and turning some heads someday.

Also.
http://www.devastationevent.com/blog/
MvC 3 tourney at Samurai Comics on April 16th.
Does anyone here think they'll be able to go? It would be cool if we could go there, kind of weird since it's not smash but still.

Me, Chris, and huevoyoshi should be able to go to the next tourney btw. :3

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
Lol since everyone giving their story of brawl character mains i might as well talk about mine.

At first my passion was in mario because i would play mario on every smash game and mario party game.
For the first six months of brawl I would play Mario as my main and then literally every other character as a secondary. I practiced with almost everyone. Sooner or later I had six characters that I was better than mario with. Ike, Pit, Peach, ROB, Wolf, and Ganon

Then I just choose one kinda randomly. I chose Pit to use and planned to ****. Probably like 4 months later I went back to that list cause Pit wasnt cuting it I needed another character to use for his bad match ups. I started ROB and then later discovered he ***** pits bad match ups. So luckily I found his perfect counter part. And even when times got tough I would keep practicing, knowing that I would eventually make it to the top.

I dont use pit and rob because im in love with them or anything *looks at kyle*. All I really wanted was to use a character far from top tier because i like uniqueness and I like challenges. It would have been waaaay too easy If i had started off with a top tier character.

Even though it seemed impossible that a pit and rob could make it I just made sure to do it. Because nothing is impossible. I was also hopeing that my example would inspire people to keep practicing even if they mained a character that seemed like it couldnt make it to the top. Its not impossible so stop thinking it is, also dont hope for it, Know it! If you make it your goal, make the steps to get there and you can and will eventually do it!

Gah777

Smash Lord
Play a character because you like them. Not because of what tier they are in.
My feelings exactly.

Oh hey, I just remembered a "Fun little fact" I learned at WHOBO3. Falco can do his entire chain grab on Wolf standing still.

tl;dr Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you!

Well, might as well post my Smash story as well.

I started out playing the original Smash when I went to get my haircut a Cool Cuts (I think was the name). I played fox because he had a laser and I thought that was cool. Then I totally forgot the game of Smash existed until I was older and my friend played Melee. I never got into the competitive scene and rarely played Melee, but like in the original, I played Fox, but later also tried Marth and Roy.

Then when Brawl came out I would go play it at my friends house occasionally and I picked up Lucario. At the time he was a brand new Pokemon and one of my favorites (still is) and my friends always feared my big blue balls. Later when I got the game myself I started messing around with different characters starting with Lucario then Wolf, Marth, Pikachu, Falco, then back to Marth. A while later I found the competitive scene and eventually switched my main to Wolf, the Falco, Lucario, Marth, Wolf, Fox, Wolf, until I was eventually co-maining Wolf and Fox for singes and Lucario and Meta Knight for doubles. Then I went to WHOBO3 and got my **** wrecked and decided to take a break from Wolf, like I had done many times before.

Along with my Smash gaming history I had also been playing Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon, and recently the concepts from all three have started to mix a little. In Pokemon I found that the team style I liked the best was a "Hyper Offensive Team" that was balanced and each Pokemon helped the other take down threats. Rarely did I ever rely on one Pokemon to sweep my opponents team. In Yu-Gi-Oh, I tried playing various decks that could OTK (One Turn Kill) if they got their combos off as well as decks that had smaller, faster combos, but had a "toolbox" to deal with various situations.

And that's the kind of character I've been looking for in Brawl: A balanced character with options and the fluidity to adapt to various situations.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
I play characters that are fun.

I just main good characters because I'm bad so I can still win.

Duff0

Smash Ace
i use fox because hes really really easy to use

i use marth because hes really really easy to use

theres some sort of pattern here

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
Play characters that fit your playstyle, I play super aggressive that's why I like MK (and he's broken as ****)

Like I play Bison in ssf4, and he's straight rushdown. I'm not content with camping, being patient, and planking. Maybe that's why I'm terrible at Brawl...

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely with Kira when it comes to wanting to challenge myself by playing characters that aren't known for decimation, which is why you'll never see me play any characters higher than B tier. Besides that, I usually prefer to play a small character with versatile projectiles, great speed, good recovery, and reliable kill moves.

While several characters fit the description above, the final and most important factor in deciding what character I main is that they have to be a chick magnet, so I had no choice but to main Toon Link. :)

Ill spoil it, the other two people that were considered for #10 were Jane and Brett, all of us were supporting for different ones.
Brett and Jane eh? I beat them both in bracket matches in the last two tournies. :p

We'll have honorable mention when we have a season where we get more than 15 people every tournament.
Perhaps we should have 3 honorable mentions then, since the lowest attendance in a tourney this season was 13 (at AZ Deadlock). ^_~

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
i play characters that i like using (metaknight, wario, ddd, etc...) . do and play what is in your heart. don't let a tier list decide for you.

Light_

Smash Apprentice
That's why you should pick up Melee, Gah777. Melee is soooooooo much better than brawl in so many aspects. I play both games so I can say this.:p
OH **** that. Stupid forums completely did the opposite of what I meant.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
just to see what they put...
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong

Donkey Kong
Falco
Fox
Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Meta Knight
Ness
Olimar
Peach
Pikachu
Pit
Pokémon Trainer
R.O.B.
Samus
Sheik
Snake
Sonic
Toon Link
Wario
Wolf
Yoshi
Zelda

Anjila

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I finished the PR image! Let me know if anything needs to be changed. I may have gotten some of the colors wrong.

Sorry for the weeaboo-ness, I ran into those fonts on my computer and the idea wouldn't leave my head! And I don't think anybody mentioned there was going to be a theme for this PR, so artistic freedom and all that.

Let me know if it's too big, too :B

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
wow, that's really really good.

No it's not too big. The width actually looks as far out as it can be without stretching the window. too pro

Gah777

Smash Lord
I just stopped by to check out the new posts and then I saw Anjila's PR list and came.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Yoshiken, I'm going to be over at Kris's later today, you and Anjila should come if you can.

Edit: Nevermind, Kris is going somewhere.

And Anjila, the PR is awesome.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Pr is fucking ****.

...But uh, is it possible that I can get Blue Snake? I'm really ocd about colors.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I havent Emailed that guy yet for the next tourney so if you want the next one to be in Tuscon then tell me before the end of the week.

-kira

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
I think that Angela and I could make it to a Tucson tournament if it was held on the 30th! Though, if it is held on the 23rd, then we wouldn't be able to come, as I have an AFROTC event that evening.

Also, for everyone wanting to play brawl on friday, where is it going to be held? My place is not ready for people, as there is junk everywhere. Should I try to get a spot at Gamers Inn, and possibly hold a smashfest?

Top Bottom