• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arguments against IC chaingrab banning/limiting

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
Once again, but now where I live (Southern California), IC chaingrabs have been limited to 3 grabs at all Play N Trade game stores. This is mainly because I kept getting 1st place at their tournies, and the TO was saying that I was scaring off customers >_>

He argued that in high level tourneys such as genesis, IC chaingrabs are always banned (which gave me a hint that he didnt know anything about brawl) and also argued that he was losing money because a couple people were getting angry about getting chaingrabed and were leaving. He also said that if we could come up with a good enough reason for them not to be banned, he would unban chaingrabs.

The point of this thread is to compile arguments against banning Ice Climber chaingrabs and hopefully lift this ban, or prevent and lift IC chaingrab bans at other tournies with messed up TO's.

Here is a list of arguments:

1. Why ban IC chaingrabs, when they're not even top tier? I mean, if you ban/limit all 11 characters that are higher than them on the tier list, I would be ok with someone banning IC chaingrabs. BUT NOBODY DOES THAT!

2. Unlike what the TO said, no major tourney (besisdes the one in texas, which has now lifted the ban) has banned or limited chaingrabs.

3. The SBR and Smashboards community clearly both agree that IC chaingrabs should not be banned. In fact, it hasn't even been brought up as an SBR poll since it is so obvious that they should not be banned, unlike MK banning. (im not saying that MK should be banned though lol).

4. It takes forever to learn Ice climber chaingrabs. Its not like characters such as MK where you can pick him up easily and be able to win matches with very little practice. Almost all of us Ice climber players spend hours and hours offline in training mode/against CPU's perfecting different chaingrabs on each character. I highly doubt any MK player would be practicing legal tactics against CPU's for more than 2 minutes.

5. Ice Climber Chaingrabs are NOT broken. In fact, an extremely small amount of grabs on good players are actually 0-death's. Many of you may disagree, but this is fact. Not every person here is a Lain. And even Lain on average, out of 22 attempted grabs, 11 of the 22 grabs (50%) did not connect or did not do more than 1 throw, 9 of the 22 were not kills but did 12%+ (at least 2 throws), and finally, only 2 of the 22 grabs (9%) ended up as kills. You may think you have much better averages than this, but when you actually record yourself, and count every time nana ran off and left you with only popo grabbing the opponent, these averages are considered very good. Remember, as of now Lain is the best IC player! (Lain's averages are based off of recently uploaded youtube video's from people such as M2K, Anther, and Judge.)

6. Its not like these chaingrabs are completely unescapable like many people claim, all you have to do to escape ANY chaingrab is just press the "A" button fast. Its that simple. Go try to chaingrab M2K while he's under 40%... Its almost impossible. Also, almost all IC players do some sort of so-called "infinites" that are actually escapable in other ways than pressing the "A" button fast, such as the backthrow to Nana footstool on heavy characters or the Solo Popo chaingab on Meta Knight. Im sure any of us would be happy to tell someone how to escape a specific chaingrab. Sotherefore it's not our fault that someone was too lazy to ask a simple question of how to escape a chaingrab, and we shouldn't be punished for it!

7. ?

8. ?

9. ?

10. ?

So Please help me, the Ice Climbers community, and the common sense of others by posting more reasons against banning/limiting IC chaingrabs, or even help by posting PRO IC chaingrab ban reasons, since its always good to be prepared and know how someone is going to react to these arguments.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
ICs have bad grab range (unlike DeDeDe). It's hard to actually get grabs if your opponent knows the matchup/plays ghey. ICs infinites are analogous to jab lock/wall infinites.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think what you have is already quite good
and colorful!

perhaps u can show him videos of how much gayer mk or snake are in comparison. how the matchups are even or against ic's favor

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
grimice, nintendogs probably wants at least a chance to win money at a local tourny. with rules like that, it disallows nintendogs to play to his full potential with ic's. he might not always get a chance to go to better tournys when play n trade is right there

Grimice

Smash Apprentice
grimice, nintendogs probably wants at least a chance to win money at a local tourny. with rules like that, it disallows nintendogs to play to his full potential with ic's. he might not always get a chance to go to better tournys when play n trade is right there
i understand that that's why i ask'd if there are no other tourny's he can attend?
i hope he gets this stupid rule lifted so he can continue playing at this tourny.. im lucky i can attend different tourny's and Ive yet to come across a moron who try'd to ban CG's. i hope everything works out for you Nintendo, the arguments you got look good, id also bring up the difference's between melee and brawl IC's in melee IC's had chain grabs, they even had the wobble chain grab and it was never banned from tourney's.. the ic's also had good edge guarding capabilities, which brawl IC's don't, are grab range is garbage compared to melee, also we have nothing to combo into a grab like melee did wavedash u-tilts is almost a guaranteed grab, where in brawl we have to use dysnch's and mind games to get a grab on a good player. hope that helps.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
- Ice Climbers have no grab setups. don't get grabbed

- Ice Climbers have no grab range. don't get grabbed

- Ice Climbers CAN infinite from 0, but under ~40 it's super hard to make truly inescapable/super easy to mash out. don't get... infinite'd

- Chaingrabs are super situational, Nana has to be with you, synched, and in a position to respond (not in lag/doing something else). Occasionally the stage can get in the way too.

- Ice Climbers are **** without their chaingrabs.

I really like this thread. There's a lot of stigma surrounding Ice Climbers' infinites, so it'll be good to have a go-to thread with solid arguments that we can refute random idiots with.

Anyway here's a summary of my thoughts on your existing arguments:

1. Not sure what you're getting at here. Tiers aren't really relevant to banning specific techniques, and Wobbling WAS banned in some places if I remember correctly.

2 and 3. These are essentially the same point from what I can tell? "People who know what they're talking about don't ban them."

4. IMO irrelevant. People bring this up a lot for like, everything, but regardless of how difficult Broken Tactic X is to learn, there will be people who master Broken Tactic X and abuse it. It's a similar line of reasoning to natural ability. The amount people practice at home leading up to an event should be left out of it. That said, the manager would probably buy it.

5. You make a good point, but the logic is fallacious. Ice Climbers' chaingrabs aren't broken because they have no reliable way of initiating the chaingrabs, not because players are statistically **** at performing them. :p

6. Seems fine to me. Only thing wrong here is, as I said above, it IS possible to make some chaingrabs inescapable from 0, but they're quite easily escapable when there is ANY amount of error on the ICs part.

Not meaning to come off as rude or elitist or anything, just trying to help make these arguments as solid as possible. :)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just tell him that the chaingrabs are not always present and every character has the option to remove them from play by keeping the climbers seperated and/or killing nana.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
When IC's are off the stage and trying to recover, it can be hard.

-If the IC player uses squall, simply hit him from the top b4 we get to the stage and bam popo dies and there goes 1 stock.
-If the IC player uses Belay to recover just attack popo and bam, popo is screwed ez gimp.
-Nana is stupid. When Nana is seperated from Popo, She runs into smash attacks like an idiot. So yeah. Just charge a smash attack and Nana will get hit. and the more percent Nana has. The easier it is for you to keep the IC's seperated.

and yeah i really like this thread cuz there are a lot of people here that are like IC's are so gay, there CG's are broken and blah blah blah... So yeah. I hope you guys come up with GREAT points for me to tell them. :)

Prawn

Smash Master
Just tell him that the chaingrabs are not always present and every character has the option to remove them from play by keeping the climbers seperated and/or killing nana.
Came here to say this,

it seems like every other scrub in America doesn't realize this is possible.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
it sounds to me like this guy doesnt actually care whether they are broken or not, he simply sees you scaring off paying customers. think about it from a sales point of view. if you want people to buy a game, and you see there is something in that game making (mainly noobs with wallets) not enjoy that game (so they wont buy it), youd logically try and remove the troublesome factor. that is what this guy is doing: hes screwing you over to make a little cash, and frankly i dont think theres anything you can do about it except learn, i mean use, mk and show them what real gayness is about.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Anyone who thinks the CG's should be banned either has no idea of the Smash Community, or is a total scrub. The video stores are just in it for the money, you have to realize that. Those scrubs know little to nothing of the competitve scene. They'll just whine until all of their problems dissapear.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers can be counterpicked by stage. No matter what, every Ice Climber user that want's to do well (even Lain the SO FAR best IC User) requires a secondary for game 2/3. It is impossible to win a set against someone that knows what they are doing if u go full ICs.

Prawn

Smash Master
Ice Climbers can be counterpicked by stage. No matter what, every Ice Climber user that want's to do well (even Lain the SO FAR best IC User) requires a secondary for game 2/3. It is impossible to win a set against someone that knows what they are doing if u go full ICs.
Meep does it,

and, you win game 1, lose game 2 because of stage, and pick a neutral game 3

O_o

isn't that a win?

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Can't you just, ya know, NOT infinite them? PlaynTrade tourneys attract 90% scrubs anyways. You can win without CGing all the time.

Either deal with it or go to legit tourneys. Playntrade has no idea about the smash community anyways. I think you're just doing it because you want an easier win and he's doing it because he want's a good number of people at his tourneys. You're both doing it for money, he's just in charge

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
People have to learn how to seperate Popo and Nana. We've done friendly tourneys in which people were afraid of Falco's so we went for 2-3 CGs max. I didn't play ICs back then (But I do now cause my sensei thought me things :D! <3 Swordgard) and now that I do I think we should use CGs because they are legal as per the SBR.

The SBR ain't the god of brawl, but they work very hard to make a good ruleset, with the right proporitions of emotion and rationality. Just this is a good argument but...
The person in charge probably won't give a **** about that..thus not making it an invalid argument but a much less powerful one.

I think that it's limiting the character as a whole. Popo and Nana are made to work together and so in that respect they should be used together. The concept behind the Ice Climbers wasn't just : "Oh lol, look Popo hits and Nana too so more damage is dealt, haha I'm a game programmer", it's obvious that programmers thought and testers saw that the ICs could be desynched and that they could pass grabs and so on. It's like a grab release, only it's a pass, they didn't take out grab releasing by making the regrab have like >9000 lag. The game itself wants the ICs work together. Don't let some noob destroy what the ICs are MEANT to do. Live and die together. Okay that last one was too much xD

Anyways, good luck with your ordeal brah!

meepxzero

Smash Master
Some old school top players quit in md/va because i started winning with infinites =\. Ya either go to better tournies or learn to win without it. People are always gonna be half and half with having it banned when people have seen how far it can be taken. I dunno if lain has to deal with the same **** as this all the time, but im pretty sure the people he beats are bitter about losing to him cuz one grab = win.

If hes limiting the infinites its gonna be hard to convince because it will raise attendance if its limited. Assuming u win all the tournies there even me and lain dont always get first. We have our off days.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Meep does it,

and, you win game 1, lose game 2 because of stage, and pick a neutral game 3

O_o

isn't that a win?
Tin Man has no idea what hes talking about, just ignore him lol.

Meep your region is so gay when it comes to the infinite, I dont think anyone gets as much crap as you do. From what Ive seen the midwest is pretty kewl about the CG just because they realise ICs have plenty of faults that go with it. But idk my tournament expierence is pretty limited so maybe Lain does get a bunch of crap

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
Another problem i hear about IC's is that Apparently, They take no skill. Which is BS. lol... These scrubs are always like,

"All you have to do is learn 3 things to win, how to CG, how to Desync, and how to Grab. Thats all Ice climbers is. Learning a 0-Death CG will take you a Night or two just practicing alone in training mode. With other Characters you have to learn MANY techniques to win. You have to actually have SKILLS with that character. Not just a grab."

I am so tired of hearing that from people. Its really irritating after a while. So then I usually just beat them without CG's and listen to them john. lol

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
I understans your looking for arguments but...

I don't have all the detail. But from the small piece of information information at hand I have, I think you have to understand that as the men said, it might be scaring of customers for real.

Not everybody has the hardcore gamer mentality. The one that makes people adapt and try harder to win when chalenged. Some people are ''casual gamer''. Now odds are if everybody complains about the Chaingrab, well they are casual.

Now you have to respect them. Else your local scene might sufer and grow smaler. Now that guy probably got complains to put in such a rule.

The way I see it, you will probably still win most tournement even if your limited in your CG ability. But it will make the other casual player happy. Resulting in maybe a biger attendence at the tournements. And thats a good thing.

And some hardcore player might even allow you to chain grab them infinitely. I know I would do that since that rule is BS

C~Dog

Smash Champion
While i agree this is total bs, as *P*L*U*R* said, you gotta realise that the manager wants to attract more people to the store ergo get more money, and banning the infinite will do that. And people are *******s, so even if you do create a fully comprehensive and coherent list of arguments for anti cg bans, he will most likely not abide by his word and keep them banned anyway =/

So you can either win without infinites, go to better tourneys, or exploit loopholes in the 3 grab limit rule ;D ie: 3 throws, then a charged smash; 3x dthrow/dashgrab -> spike; ice block lock, etc =P

swordgard

Smash Hero
I understans your looking for arguments but...

I don't have all the detail. But from the small piece of information information at hand I have, I think you have to understand that as the men said, it might be scaring of customers for real.

Not everybody has the hardcore gamer mentality. The one that makes people adapt and try harder to win when chalenged. Some people are ''casual gamer''. Now odds are if everybody complains about the Chaingrab, well they are casual.

Now you have to respect them. Else your local scene might sufer and grow smaler. Now that guy probably got complains to put in such a rule.

The way I see it, you will probably still win most tournement even if your limited in your CG ability. But it will make the other casual player happy. Resulting in maybe a biger attendence at the tournements. And thats a good thing.

And some hardcore player might even allow you to chain grab them infinitely. I know I would do that since that rule is BS

Its awefully suspicious how much time you spend in the ice climber boards dom. Looking for some edge in our matches arent you?

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
Its awefully suspicious how much time you spend in the ice climber boards dom. Looking for some edge in our matches arent you?
well i have 2 option. Either try to learn how to beat them. Or convince my tournement director to limit their chain grab to 3. oh wait ;)

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Tin Man has no idea what hes talking about, just ignore him lol.
omg, its not worth losing game 2 and expecting to win game 3. game 1 and 3 are always a gamble, and ics hard counter, snake works well on neutrals, so ics need a secondary, to cover their hard caounter, and to have a chance at game 2.

don't be a bully, man jeez.

Prawn

Smash Master
omg, its not worth losing game 2 and expecting to win game 3. game 1 and 3 are always a gamble, and ics hard counter, snake works well on neutrals, so ics need a secondary, to cover their hard caounter, and to have a chance at game 2.

don't be a bully, man jeez.
Meep does it and hes a top IC player lol

swordgard

Smash Hero
well i have 2 option. Either try to learn how to beat them. Or convince my tournement director to limit their chain grab to 3. oh wait ;)

I guess your right.

So, need training in the art of the uptilt? Im currently only red belt at it, still needs a few years to get better at the uptilt battles and reach black belt.

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
Hehe I don't do as many now ;) I find it to not work quite as well on a player of your caliber. Anyways I hope to play you soon, I was pretty rusty last time we played !

meepxzero

Smash Master
Maybe because he doesnt like playing anyone else in tourny?

Tinman is right, Why would you just want to throw away your second game when you could just play a different character. better suited for that stage. Unless all you play is ice climbers, but that is much more difficult.

i do it to prove that ic are the best character in the game.

r3d d09

Smash Master
If they are legit scrubs, practice your secondary there, and if you lose match one, go to IC's.
I've seen vids of where I think it was HOBO that banned CG'ing, but the person found ways out of it. CG to 3 throws, Hobble/Wobble, Ice block lock. they get up grab at ledge and fair spike.
There is so many ways of getting a round this unless he says no chaining effects past three. . . which is ridiculous because then you could throw at him legit combos that other characters have.

EDIT:
I say let them ban CG's, we can show them that we can find ways around their restrictions and top them with some creative stuff ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y75AAF1JtZw

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Seriously, if they understood how hard CG's are to pull off during match pressure, they wouldn't ban them. Since this sounds more like a small shop tournament, where the host just wants the money, I would suggest that you find another area to play. If this is like the only brawl place you can go to, I say it's tough luck...

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Hey, Nintendogs, are you talking about the Mission Viejo Play N Trade's? If so then I've seen you play.

Most of the people there are horrible anyways.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
Meep knows the only stage ics really have no chance on is brinstar. Everything else is winnable.
Idk. Id actually rather play at brinstar then rainbow cruise. Less area for them to run. And when Nana gets hit away from you, Nana acts so dumb she ends up killing herself. She will like try to jump on platforms that are disappearing lol.

Seriously, if they understood how hard CG's are to pull off during match pressure, they wouldn't ban them.
I told my friend the same thing and he was like, idc how HARD it is too pull off, it still doesnt change the fact thats its broken, even if MK was the hardest character to use in the game he would still be broken. I was like, ugh.... scrubs. :p

Top Bottom