• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are YOU going to change what your buttons do?

Grod

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I used tap to jump in Melee, so I'm probably going to keep that. I'm also considering using Wiimote, but changing the buttons so I can play it like a piano. It might suck, but it's worth trying.

Syzygy

Smash Apprentice
The Wiimote + Nunchuk combination is horrid. Absolutely incredibly convoluted. Here's what I think I'd put it as.

A = Standard Attack
B = Jump
Down = Special Attack
*The above may strike as strange. But I think it makes sense. This way, I can jump and attack literally immeaditally afterwards, because the buttons are controlled by different fingers. After all, how often do you have to do a Standard Attack directly followed by a Specail Attack? This will allow for more aerial manuverability, I think, if I can jump, move, and attack all with different fingers.*
Tap Jump off. Because it sucks.
Shake Smash.... I'd have to test this. I'm thinking yes, especially if that applies to aerials like the C-Stick... I just hope it's got the right sensitivity.
Z = Shield
C = Quick Grab
The other 3 DPad directions will either be taunts or maybe quick grabs... or nothing, cause I don't want to accidently hit it.

Actually, I think that this method shows the most promise, especially as the GCC and CC are a bit too small for my liking, I'd really like to move on to something new... We'll see.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I intend to. After seeing todays update and learning how each control scheme is set up, I'm almost positive I'll use the Wiimote + Nunchuk configuration, and I do intend to customize a few things. Primarily, turning off tap jumping (I hate that feature - it messes me up when I want to do a u-tilt all too often), and either swapping the C button to grab and making the down on the control pad jump or just making down on the control pad grab. I may or may not also turn off the shake smash feature, depending on whether I find I feel comfortable with it.

I may perhaps do a little other experimenting, such as making B jump and C special attacks or some such, but only if I find my initial tinkering unsatisfactory. But in any event, I'm definitely looking forward to customizing that particular control scheme.

Zevox

Dodger

Smash Ace
I'd leave everything on GameCube Controller pretty much the same. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about tap jump though. I used to really hate tap jump myself, but now I'm not so sure I'd turn it off. First of all, I have gotten somewhat used to it to the point where I can successfully up tilt most of the time. But I still occasionally make mistakes though. The problem is Fox absolutely NEEDS tap jump. Of course, Fox in brawl promises to be quite different from melee, but another character may NEED tap jump just as the old Fox did, so I won't turn it off right away. If I find the characters I use don't need tap jump then I will probably turn it off.

I absolutely hated the classic controller at E for All so I probably won't use it even with a customized set up for Brawl. I am very excited about nunchuck and wiimote, and I think the default setup is pretty solid, but of course, I'd have to play around with it to be sure. Oh and as for shake smash, yeah I'm pretty much wait and see about that too.

edit: Actually now that I think about it, I always had more trouble doing an upsmash when I wanted an utilt then jumping when I wanted to tilt or smash. So I may just leave tap jump alone.

M.K

Level 55
I might change the Y Button to Grab, as I never used it to jump.
Tap Jump...meh...I guess I'll turn it off, might just get in the way.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought I have got: If you assign jump to the R and L button of the Gamecube controller, seeing that those trigger can sens how far you push, it could be a great way to perfectly control your jumps.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
I'll use the default Gamecube controller often, but I also want to get use to playing with the Wiimote and Wiimote/nunchuck.
That said, for the Wiimote/nunchuck option, I'll probably try to find another suitable button for jumping. The C button doesn't seem bad, but I'll probably go to training to find something more applicable.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Am I the only that's gonna keep tap jump on? I need it for short hops like a pregnant woman needs pickles and chocolate :p

Smash Ace
No, Micah, I'm keeping it on. Ironically, I don't use it for short hops, but I use it on and off for full jumps (and midair jumps).

Smash Ace
Yeah, I pointed out that up-b paradox in another thread. The mechanic that allows you to up-b out of a shield, as far as I understand it, goes like this:

• You press up. Jump animation starts, and you can jump out of a shield.
  • You press b during the starting jump animation (the 2-6 frames before you actually leave the ground). You do your up-b.

I could be wrong, or they could change the mechanics, but otherwise no up-b/usmash out of a shield for anyone who turns tap jump off. Were that the case, I bet that most people would keep it on.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Yeah, I pointed out that up-b paradox in another thread. The mechanic that allows you to up-b out of a shield, as far as I understand it, goes like this:

• You press up. Jump animation starts, and you can jump out of a shield.
  • You press b during the starting jump animation (the 2-6 frames before you actually leave the ground). You do your up-b.

I could be wrong, or they could change the mechanics, but otherwise no up-b/usmash out of a shield for anyone who turns tap jump off. Were that the case, I bet that most people would keep it on.
Yeah, I thought that's how it worked....

Zink

Smash Champion
the problem with no tap jumps is that you lose easy shine jc's, jc'd usmashes, etc, plus it's probably harder to ledgehop... otherwise I'd have that off instanter.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Myself?

I'll play around with the given control schemes for a couple of days. Then I'll pick the controller that I'll be using, and fool around with control schemes.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I don't think I'll change the control scheme.

Sakurai knows just how to press my bottons.

Sorry if that's been said before.

magnomanX

Smash Cadet
Here is the perfect button setup for Nunchuck + Wiimote:

A: Standard Attack
B: Special Attack
A+B: Smash Attack
D-pad Down: Jump
D-pad Left: Down Taunt
D-pad Right: Side Taunt
D-pad Up: Up Taunt
Z: Shield
C: Quick Grab
Tap Jump: Off
Shake Smash: Off

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I don't think I'll change much if anything.

I actually have never used the Y button (GC controller is all I use) to jump, so it's relatively vestigial to me. So I could change that if I pleased.

But that's about it; and unless upB/upsmash out of sheild only works with tap jump on, I'll leave it on. But if those attacks can work out of sheild with the tap jump off, I'll probably turn it off because I never use upTap to jump either.

I'm an X jumpin' man!

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I think I might be the only one but, I want to turn tap jump off, it's just that I can no longer running up-smash (dj-upsmash), or jc my running grabs (cause I push up on the control stick to do that). If either of those techniques are out, then I would be fine turning tap jump off, otherwise I like being able to do those 2 things.

magnomanX

Smash Cadet
I think I might be the only one but, I want to turn tap jump off, it's just that I can no longer running up-smash (dj-upsmash), or jc my running grabs (cause I push up on the control stick to do that). If either of those techniques are out, then I would be fine turning tap jump off, otherwise I like being able to do those 2 things.

You would still be able to do those things, just press the jump button while holding up and immediately do the grab or smash button.

Why do people even keep saying you cant JC without tap jump?

Cless

Smash Champion
You would still be able to do those things, just press the jump button while holding up and immediately do the grab or smash button.

Why do people even keep saying you cant JC without tap jump?
How are you going to have enough time to hit x or y, then hit a in the 4-6 frames you are on the ground for a jump?

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
New GC Controller

R=Standard Attack
L=Special
X=Sheild
A=Jump
B=Grab
C-Stick=Move
Pad=Smashes
Analog=Taunts

I'm gonna set it up like a space fighter game or a racing game
HAHAHA
worst control scheme imaginable.

its simple - switch the functionality of z and x/y. M2K uses claw grip so he can do aerials RIGHT out of a jump, why not just make the jump button a shoulder button. boom. thats all u need.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Where there could be a Player 2 out there somewhere who has nothing else to use but the remote that came with Wii Play.
Then they should use the Nunchuck/Classic Controller (whichever one Player 1 isn't using) that came with the Wii with that remote.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
not sure about tap jump, it hasn't been all that problematic for me for the most part in melee but I suppose I might want to change it. I do use it for full jumps some times but eh. Depends if you can B-up out of shield and such without it on.

changing X to grab seems worth it though, I could probably get used to that very easily and if jump-canceled grabs are in I'll just have an easier time with that.

It's a nice option and it's a shame that I probably won't end up taking full advantage of it >_>

magnomanX

Smash Cadet
How are you going to have enough time to hit x or y, then hit a in the 4-6 frames you are on the ground for a jump?
ok let's consider my control scheme on the wiimote + nunchuck where dpad DOWN is jump.

Notice how the jump button and the attack button are RIGHT next to each other? If you CAN'T press them both within 4-6 frames, then you shouldn't be playing this game, quite frankly.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I will be playing with the Wii-mote/Knunchuck. Definately.

That was I will never have to move my fingers off any of the buttons. Ingenious.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
Here's my current control plan:
Wiimote + Nunchuck
C: Grab
Z: Shield
B: B
A: A
A+B: Grab
D-pad: Jump (all)
Tap jump: off
Shake smash: on?

Come to think of it, certain buttons are going to be easier to short hop with than others. This is going to require experimentation.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
God dang like I know if I'm gonna change mah freakin buttons yo?

like, I gots to be's playin the gamez before I can decide if I wants to bes changing dem buttons round n round u know what i be sayin man?

like, u gots to bes of done played the gamez b4 u can decide if u wants 2 change dem buttons u know what i mean?

like u know what i mean? what i mean? u know what i mean?

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Since Link has an extended grab, I grab a lot, so I'm changing Y to grab.

I'll turn Tap jump off too.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
yea after reading the first page it looks like everyone is obviously turning off tap jump, and it looks like i'm jumping on the bandwagon...

Top Bottom