• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are YOU going to change what your buttons do?

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Lol but the objetive of the game is fighting so it'll be fun if you have a fight-oriented configuration, no?

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
If you have a very good configuration
like mine's(?)
that fits your playstile so yes you'll have a great advantage.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
The vast majority of people who go to tournaments don't use up on the control stick to jump. I used to but stopped when I started to learn to wavedash.
This is true, I do not use it very often, but at certain times such as......................................................................................edge-guarding maybe? It can come in handy...........kind of?

Edit: Well, I've given it much thought and I can't think of a single moment of when I would use it over the X button. Still though, I don't see a reason of taking it off than it being utterly useless.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Of course it does i'm just saying if you have a good configuration
like mines and possibly yours
that fits our playstyle so we'll have a great advantage.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm going to assign the "automatically win the match" option to the L Button. That should come in handy.

ssgOverlord

Smash Rookie
I will probably mess around with every combo possible with all of them, even if they are confusing. I'd find it fun, because hey, for all I know I would like Z on a GC controller to be standard attack and the c-stick to be moving while the analog stick is for specials.

I will truly have fun with this addition.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
If it's the same controls for SSBM that I had on my Gamecube controller, I'm not going to change them. Those controls fit like a glove to me. :)

Meow-Mix

Smash Cadet
I plan to use the GC controller, then try the controllers just to see how they feel. I also plan to leave everything on default, including tap jumping. I'm apparently a minority here for using the control stick to jump, but it feels so natural to me as with any fighting game where you use up on a D-pad or Joystick to jump. I will try to at least learn not to use the tap jump, but it'll be like learning how to play Smash Bros. all over again. :laugh:

Darkurai

Smash Master
To counter Y being jump, X will be crouch.

That was a joke.

I'm probably going to leave all the controllers the way they are. They're all really good configurations except the Wii Remote alone. They never should've included that in the first place. It's a waste of programming time since no one's going to use it.

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
I'm planning on using my GC controller with the jump thing off, I did way too many jumps instead of upa's back in the day

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Well, as of now I only own a PS2.... But I'm getting a Wii soon. I'm more or less used to play fighting games on my PS2 AND... The classic controller looks a lot like a PS2 controller (button-position-wise), so I might change the buttons function on the Classic Controller so it fits my "fighting custom". :p I think this is actually a very good option to have in-game.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Nunchuk looked way too complicated for me, but then I saw that in addition to the D-Pad options, they had much more intuitive looking alternates for them. Jumping and sheilding on the nunchuk looks so muche asier than on the d-pad, and a+b to grab is brilliant on their part, as you actually grab the controller tighter.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Since I Jump with Y, I will Make X do something else.
Turn Jump Tap off
Make one of the Shield Buttons do something else.

Smash Apprentice
I'll remove tap jump. Otherwise, I'll be keeping the melee controls.

XACE-K

Smash Master
First I'll turn the tap jump of and then I'll experiment with a classic controller scheme and a Wii remote and nunchuck scheme that I like.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I'm probably going to leave all the controllers the way they are. They're all really good configurations except the Wii Remote alone. They never should've included that in the first place. It's a waste of programming time since no one's going to use it.
Where there could be a Player 2 out there somewhere who has nothing else to use but the remote that came with Wii Play.

SirKibbleX

Smash Cadet
Actually I've expected this update for a while, and I think not being hard-wired into the melee scene may give me a small advantage in Brawl. I'm a pretty hardcore 64 player, with some really good friends (yeah, we know all the adv techs and watch pros like Isai, I've even Kailara'd against DarklinkX and some others.)

The biggest problem I've had in adapting to the melee gameplay isn't the pacing, but the way the L- and R-triggers work. The trigger's aren't effectively buttons per-se as they don't have simply an 'on' and 'off' state, but several states in-between. In my N64 style I tend to press the L- R- and Z-triggers very lightly and it's screwed up my ability to effectively play melee (I play Marth and Samus in Melee; every character in 64).

So first I want to pose a question to you all: when you wavedash, air dodge, and L-cancel, which triggers do you actually use? Most of my friends use the actual L-trigger for L-cancelling and teching (force of habit from Z-cancelling in 64) and R for wavedashing, but the timing is slightly different between the two games and missed L-cancels in melee are generally more subtle than they are in 64 (not saying they're unimportant, just that missing an L-cancel in 64 is liable to get you 0-death combo'd.)

I personally do the opposite. I wavedash with L and L-cancel and tech with R. But like I said, we sometimes miss simple stuff like techs and L-cancels because the timing is slightly off compared to 64, but also because sometimes I don't press hard enough on the button for it to register. Even with this knowledge in mind, I still sometimes do it accidentally or something, so I've decided to switch the Z-button and R-button, and I'd probably suggest for most of the smash community to do so too.

Granted, we're all pretty much set in our controls now and switching might screw some people up pretty badly. However, I think avoiding any accidentally failed L-cancels or techs because of a control that isn't completely sensitive to commands is kind of annoying, at least to me.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with Y, I pretty much never use it either (I was raised on C-right and C-down, what can I say?)

Cless

Smash Champion
You know, I've been thinking about it more, and I'm going to leave it alone until I figure out who I'm going to play. If up b out of shield is useful for that character, I'm going to have to leave tap jump on.

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
Turn off tap jumping (finally they fix that), and i might mess with wii mote sideways

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman

I hesitated a long time to place the air taunt.. Maybe I should put it on A after all. I always missed my air taunts in Melee, cause my thumb was slipping and I was doing a taunt cancel instead.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
Ehh im a gamecube controller person. and i like the set up. the only thing i'll change(and i think alot will do this) is disable the tap up for jump. that will make things so much easier and u can react with up attacks faster instead of just up smash.

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
Perfect GC-Setting by TaurToph
After 6 years of intense study and controller modifications, i came with the conclusion that this is the better setting to play melee:

1) R to Jump -> when you shuffle (or just do an atack after a short hop), you use your thumb to both jump and attack. So you'll move it much and eventually get it exhausted, missing your short hops. With that configuration, the task is shared (thumb/indicator) so that won't happen.

2) L to Shield -> R is used to jump, so L will be the only shield-button. Its good because the L finger is hardly used, and when it is, its combined with a direction - that's controlled by the same hand. Air Dodging/L-Cancelling will be easier. Shielding too since your left hand is free when you are inground/defensive.

3) X to Grab -> The left indicator have the task of jumping, so pass the grabbing task to your right thumb, that'll be the offensive finger. You're never attacking/grabbing at the same time so that's just perfect, isn't it?

4) Tap-jump OFF -> Enough said...

With that setting you use 4 fingers:

Right thumb -> all attacks and grabs.
Right indicator -> jumps.
Left thumb -> directioning.
Left indicator -> shielding.

Every finger with distributed tasks so you're never using 1 finger for 2 tasks...
Hard to get used, but yes I like it ^^
I really really like the theory behind this, and logically it makes sense: If you have four fingers working simultaneously (A thumb is a finger as far as I'm concerned :D) you should have an advantage. I'd probably mess up and switch to the melee controls, but If I were to learn this config, It would probably help me a lot. Kudos for the idea.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For wiimote and nunchuck Im thinking of using b to jump, itll be easier to short hop.

Ill make the small button on the nunchuck do the special attacks

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
No, I'm not going to change what my buttons do. And I'm actually going to leave tap jump on because I tend to use it sometimes.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
i'm going to change it so i don't jump when i tap up on the control stick.. that's it.
That is exactly what i was thinking, after reviewing the pictures.
no ctrl-stick up=no random jumps!!!!

Stalky

Smash Cadet
Tap jump off for everything. For the GC layout, I'll possibly map X to Grab, but that's all I'll bother changing. For the Nunchuck layout, I'll change C to Grab, and down D to jump (for natural proximity with the A button, due to using Y to jump with the GC pad). Classic controller, I'll have to test before use but I'm sure I'll mix it around somewhat. I won't touch the Wiimote layout, purely because I won't be using that control scheme at all (besides curiosity's sake).

S_K_S_K

Smash Rookie
I'm just going to make it so I don't jump when I tilt up on the control stick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For wiimote and nunchuck Im thinking of using b to jump, itll be easier to short hop.

Ill make the small button on the nunchuck do the special attacks

If you think about it, having b as jump is perfect, gravity will pull your finger back for you making it easy to short hop, Plus it lets you keep your figer on A so you can jump and attack easily.

Id leave the gamecube controls as they are since when you go over to a friend's house you probably wont have time to change to much stuff if alot of people are playing.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I will most definitely disable tap jumps.

I like where the X button is positioned, but I use Y to jump, so I will probably change X to be grab.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
actually, my sad story is that is use the control stick to jump. X=grab, y= preferred taunt
EDIT: trying to conform to X and Y, but control stick feels better

brawl1994

Smash Journeyman
it really depends on if you can turn the jump tap OFF on the wiimote if you cange the "-" button to jump

Top Bottom