• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are YOU going to change what your buttons do?

schep

Smash Cadet
At first when I saw this announcement I didn't really think that much of it. But today's update regarding showing of how the options menu will work made me re-think the possibilities. The one adition I might consider keeping for Brawl in regards to a change from Melee's typical GC controller setup would be to change the R to grab instead of Z. I've always used L+A for sheild grab and never R. I think changing this would allow me to straight grab a slight bit faster considering i wouldn't be moving my finger up to hit Z. This probably wouldn't help out with to many situations, but hey why not? However if the grab doesn't initiate up the pressure sensitive function and waits till the click at the bottom of the button ( I'm reffering to L and R) then this may not end up helpful in the end. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait until Feb. 10th.

-Y-peace-Y-

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
i really am still super excited about the turn off tap to jump thing. it was one of my top 3 non-character related wants in brawl.
Ditto, completely. It was actually my #1 wanted thing.

I might change X to Shield (Been playing too much Tales of Symphonia) and Y to jump, but... probably not.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
What's with everyone hating on the tap jump? Some techniques use the tap jump, most notably Jump Cancel U-Smash. U-Airs are also much simpler/faster to execute using tap jump in many cases, like when an enemy is directly above you or C. Falcon's flipkick. Tap jumping has its specific uses.

I think having two options for jumping, tap jump or X/Y, allows for more versatility, kinda like how aerials can be performed with either Analog Stick + A or C-Stick; each has their own situational uses.

In my opinion, turning tap jump off is only limiting yourself.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
I had a good idea On the Wii-mote, switch the 1 and b buttons. That way, it's easier to dash grab and block without feeling weird.

PrinceOfSmash

Smash Cadet
all i have to say is...to hell with the tap jump its so annoying when trying to do up arieals... im turing off the ability to jump using up

IceClimbersUser1

Smash Cadet
i have decided, that besides using the GC controller, i will use the Wii-Mote Nunchuck combo. however, i i have decided to switch wht the up and down buttons on the d-pad do. I noticed that (i know C is also jump), that it is easier to have the Jump Button the down button on the D-pad rather then the up button. and i will deff turn off tap jump and i might do shake smash.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
LISTEN. BIG IDEA FOR WII-MOTE
Srry about that, but if want good ctrls for it, then switch 1 and B. Pretend to play and you'llsee why it's good.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube controller- turn off tap jump
Classic controller- change R to grab (ZL and ZR are useless IMO), turn off tap jump

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Im really starting to like the idea of using the back B on the wiimote to jump.. no more switching the thumb from b to a... sweet.

MysteriousSage

Smash Cadet
I'll stick with a GCN controller like most people here, but if I had to use a Wiimote,
I'd just find a configuration I like and go with it.
It makes me wonder if some control types will be preferred because thay will make
new advanced techs easier. (And I'm positive that we will find new advanced techs.)

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I never owned or played Melee much, so I don't own GC controllers. I'll probably use the wiimote/nunchuk.

On the remote, I'll probably give the pad the function of the C-stick if that's possible. I'll use Z1 to grab and Z2 to shield. The rest will be defaults.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No way. Im using a GC or classic controller.

Control stick/X = jump, A = attack, B = special. Always

Top Bottom