• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are YOU going to change what your buttons do?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Gamecube:
No UP JUMP. Rest is the same

Classic Controller:
Y - special
B - attack
A/X - jump
Z1/2 - grab
L/R shield
LB/RB - sheild grab
Up - taunt 1
Side - taunt 2
Down - taunt 3
No UP JUMP

NES - Wiimote:
1 - special
2 - attack
12 - smash
Up - jump
B - sheild
B2 - sheild grab
(-) - grab
A - taunt 1
A1 - taunt 2
A2 - taunt 3

Nunchuck Wiimote:
B - special
A - attack
Shake - smash :)
Up/Down/Side - Jump
Z - sheild
C - grab
ZA - sheild grab
1 - taunt 1
2 - taunt 2
12 - taunt 3
No UP JUMP

Fonz

Smash Ace
There is a lot of stuff that is harder without tap jump like jump canceling and edge stalling. I think you guys would be shooting yourselves in the first by turning it off. Would be better to learn to control better so you're not jumping when you don't mean to.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Well, once I actually get Brawl I'm going to customize, try out and then re-customize all four control styles, just to be fair, even though I'm pretty sure I'll end up using either the GC controller or the Classic Controller.

I will definitely remove Tap Jump from all control styles that use a stick, and I'll see if I can't give myself a Jump button for the Wiimote-only control. And for the CC I might rearrange the letter buttons. I will definitely remove grabs from ZL and ZR on the CC, though; those buttons are uncomfortable as hell.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
I'll remap my Gamecube controller several different ways. Right now what I want to do is Switch A and B with X and Y. I'll definitely turn off tap jump.

Sometime, I will do some godawful control scheme for teh lulz, like jump with c-stick, shield with X, special moves with R, grab with D-Pad, etc

Dais

Smash Cadet
Alright no tap jump!!!! Read my mind again Sakurai (and alot of peoples it looks like) I'm also digging the idea of X for Block (on gamecube).

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
it all depends if I like how the game got there button set up.

djs5590

Smash Rookie
Gamecube:
No UP JUMP. Rest is the same

Classic Controller:
Y - special
B - attack
A/X - jump
Z1/2 - grab
L/R shield
LB/RB - sheild grab
Up - taunt 1
Side - taunt 2
Down - taunt 3
No UP JUMP

NES - Wiimote:
1 - special
2 - attack
12 - smash
Up - jump
B - sheild
B2 - sheild grab
(-) - grab
A - taunt 1
A1 - taunt 2
A2 - taunt 3

Nunchuck Wiimote:
B - special
A - attack
Shake - smash :)
Up/Down/Side - Jump
Z - sheild
C - grab
ZA - sheild grab
1 - taunt 1
2 - taunt 2
12 - taunt 3
No UP JUMP
same here ;)

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I'll stick with my Wavebirds and turn tap off for sure. I may leave the rest of the buttons. This is an awesome update.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
I'll turn tap jump off, for the GC controller since it's the only one I'll use, and leave everything else the same...

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I'll be customizing for the GHIII controller if possible. In addition Tap jump will be off, and I may make Y into something.

Alex Tcp

Smash Journeyman
I am probably gonna use the nunchuck control, and I would definatly switch down on the control pad to jump and make c grab instead, and then make whatever my favirote taunt is on the rest of the control pad, and leave the other two on 1 and 2.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
If I were to use the Classic control, I'd rotate the buttons a little bit.
A=Jump
B=Attack
Y=Special
X=Jump

Also if I was to use Wii-mote (very unlikely :(),
I'd change 1+2 to jump. I need my right thumb to perform the jump. :)

And for all of them I would take off Up Jump.
It would help with tilts like always.
But if I got used to Up Jump then I might put it back on. :laugh:
Only time will tell.

Hoboman725

Smash Journeyman

my controls. Z I might do grab, or just leave unassigned, pressing A+B is so natural it will probably be my main grab technique

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
If i can get my wavebird, ill probably use it.

If not i'll use the Wiimote-nunchuk combo, because im tired of my wired gamecube controllers breaking from overuse. I also want to be able to implement the motion sensing in some way.

Thalamor

Smash Rookie
Perhaps using L to jump has some potential.
It'd definitely bring some refreshment to the gameplay and i'm sure it'll make short hopping easier at any rate.

Kruton

Smash Ace
I ammore than likely going to use the same old GCN controller, but I am definitley going to dabble around with a wiimote+chuck, and have some fun with 'Shake Smash' :)

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube will stay the same, except up jump will be off and maybe Y to grab (z buttton annoys me)

The Nunchuk will be the same, except down on the pad will be grab as Z already has shield. A+B will be smash attack.

Wont use the other 2 (dont own 1 of em)

miztavcruz17

Smash Rookie
well i just got the classic controller..and the button schemes on the dojo arent that great..so ill probably change the feel of it to be like a gamecube controller so it would be sumthing like this..

Tap Jump Off
A-Jump
X-Jump
B-Attack
Y-Special

as for the rest of the button controls im pretty much going to leave them the same..becuz to me its a little uncomfortable trying to press a to attack on the wii classic since im so used to the gamecube controller..

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
My edits:

---

GC Controller: Identical button layouts. Tap Jump off.

---

Wiimote + Nunchuk:

Tap Jump off. Shake Smash on (unless the detection is weird).

C = Shield
Z = Jump

All other button layouts identical.

---

Classic Controller (I'm probably gonna experiment a lot with this one, but this is my initial idea):

Tap Jump off.

R = Grab or Shield
ZL = N/A (well, we don't know if you can disable buttons, but let's just say you can. If you can't, I'd make it Shield)
ZR = N/A (see ZL; I'd also make it shield)
Y = Attack
X = Grab or Jump
A or B (whichever button is to the very right) = Special
A or B (whichever button is to the very bottom) = Jump

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I like the gamecube controller style that was present in Melee but I will do whatever is best for my character that I will be using at that time or whatever we find out is best for tournament style play when the game comes out. More or less, I'm open minded to try anything if it will up my gameplay in the long run.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
Probebly GC contoller with tap jump off. I also like the idea of having jump on L or R to maybe make the short hop more concistent. I do want to mess with the Wiimote, but not sure how easily short hop can be done.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
I'll leave everything the same; what's this notion about all these people taking away tap jumping? In most situations I find it useful rather than a bother. The only times that I mess up with up-tiltage is when I accidentally go too fast and up smash instead, which has no relation to this tap jumping epidemic.

Cless

Smash Champion
I'll leave everything the same; what's this notion about all these people taking away tap jumping? In most situations I find it useful rather than a bother. The only times that I mess up with up-tiltage is when I accidentally go too fast and up smash instead, which has no relation to this tap jumping epidemic.
The vast majority of people who go to tournaments don't use up on the control stick to jump. I used to but stopped when I started to learn to wavedash.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Perfect GC-Setting by TaurToph
After 6 years of intense study and controller modifications, i came with the conclusion that this is the better setting to play melee:

1) R to Jump -> when you shuffle (or just do an atack after a short hop), you use your thumb to both jump and attack. So you'll move it much and eventually get it exhausted, missing your short hops. With that configuration, the task is shared (thumb/indicator) so that won't happen.

2) L to Shield -> R is used to jump, so L will be the only shield-button. Its good because the L finger is hardly used, and when it is, its combined with a direction - that's controlled by the same hand. Air Dodging/L-Cancelling will be easier. Shielding too since your left hand is free when you are inground/defensive.

3) X to Grab -> The left indicator have the task of jumping, so pass the grabbing task to your right thumb, that'll be the offensive finger. You're never attacking/grabbing at the same time so that's just perfect, isn't it?

4) Tap-jump OFF -> Enough said...

With that setting you use 4 fingers:

Right thumb -> all attacks and grabs.
Right indicator -> jumps.
Left thumb -> directioning.
Left indicator -> shielding.

Every finger with distributed tasks so you're never using 1 finger for 2 tasks...
Hard to get used, but yes I like it ^^

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My Classic Controller Scheme

a: Jump
b: Attack
y: Special
x: Taunt (1 of 3)