• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you disappointed by how powerful they made Meta Knight?

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
Bull, look at link, probably nintendo's most popular character among gamers at this point and has had tons of players in each installment in the series, and in each installment, he has been mediocre to bad. Popularity does not make a character great, great characters become popular. MK was badass in a few of the kirby games, but do you honestly think he was the most popular and simply became dominant in brawl because more people wanted to play him? what about some of the other good characters like ROB or Pit, think they had huge support beforehand? and here's another thing, a lot of people intentionally play bad characters! I myself have spent more time playing ganondorf than any other character, I'm still better with like 6-8 other characters, because they have much more innate potential. could lower tier characters be used to greater effect than they are typically? yes, you can always try your hardest to hide your weaknesses and emphasize your strengths, become an expert on your character and how to play the matchups with upper tiers, you can overachieve, but you're still going to be overmatched when faced with a player of similar experience to you using one of those characters, and maybe even by a player of less experience than you.
This guy knows what he's talking about

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I find Meta Knight to be tough to master. I understand that he's top tier and all, but his range is rather limited. Therefore, you'd have to do a lot of quick close combat moves to wipe the floor off your foes.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
i disagree. With MK, there's no lag to get used to, no difficult at's, recovery is easy, he has amazing reach priority and speed, and his learning curve is like what? A couple of hours? Only difficult AT is IDC, but that's mostly for stalling purposes. If you're not winning with MK, your opponent is just better than you so stalling shouldn't be useful; or if you're winning, why not just make it quick and finish him?

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
This thread fails...You are asking a board filled with people who main meta knight because they think he is so good if they are disappointed about him being so good. Huh? Belongs in the opposing character threads sir.

*facepalm*

.CMW.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
he's top tier because he's obviously the best and has massive advantages over everyone else, he's annoying because middle tier character players with lots of talent and knowledge of the matchup will struggle against mediocre metaknights.
This.

I have went toe-to-toe with plenty of my friends in college that are around the same level me, and I usually win in the outcome, and they play as Lucario, ROB, Olimar, Diddy, Donkey Kong, Marth, and Wolf. But when one person there picks up Metaknight, I suddenly look like a scrub.

Seriously not trying to throw out Johns here, but Metaknight seriously has nothing bad going for him besides his light weight. If his KO potiential sucked balls, then all of his other moves would be justisfied, but this isn't the case. Hell, I'd even take Shuttle Loop not being able to hit (and I don't get hit by that much) and I'd be happy, become something that quick with his kind of recovery shouldn't have such knockback power.

That being said, Metaknight doesn't deserved to be banned (yet... give it a year or two), but he is overly powerful compared to rest of the cast that's not in top tier besides a given few. Snake feels more like the Melee Fox here.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Why would I be disappointed? I love broken characters.

He's not, melee fox would **** him ten times over, he is however stronger in relation to the rest of the cast than fox was to melee, which is why I said that MK being good isn't the problem, it's that most other characters suck in this game.
If MK were in Melee following the same physics engine, he'd be even worse. Sakurai would have made sure of that.

Master Raven

Smash Master
This.

I have went toe-to-toe with plenty of my friends in college that are around the same level me, and I usually win in the outcome, and they play as Lucario, ROB, Olimar, Diddy, Donkey Kong, Marth, and Wolf. But when one person there picks up Metaknight, I suddenly look like a scrub.
How much MK practice do you get? I don't have much difficulty at all with average MKs any longer (I use DK and sometimes a couple other characters) thanks to practicing with many them.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
no, but I was dissapointed how he wasnt much like in his game (dair attack for example)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
How much MK practice do you get? I don't have much difficulty at all with average MKs any longer (I use DK and sometimes a couple other characters) thanks to practicing with many them.
By practice if you mean playing many different players, then no, I don't particularly have a lot of practice on that note. I do play against a MK player a lot though, because he's the only character he can use that can actually two-stock me. He plays ROB and Olimar more though because he believes he wins with MK because of the character, not necessarily his skill.

Guess I'm just preaching to the choir though. Practice, practice, practice.

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
I fourth this, but I do wish his tornado didn't have such insane priority, I also would've liked a bit more lag in some of his attacks.

wisdom restated from earlier

PaThKu

Smash Rookie
Bull, look at link, probably nintendo's most popular character among gamers at this point and has had tons of players in each installment in the series, and in each installment, he has been mediocre to bad. Popularity does not make a character great, great characters become popular. MK was badass in a few of the kirby games, but do you honestly think he was the most popular and simply became dominant in brawl because more people wanted to play him? what about some of the other good characters like ROB or Pit, think they had huge support beforehand? and here's another thing, a lot of people intentionally play bad characters! I myself have spent more time playing ganondorf than any other character, I'm still better with like 6-8 other characters, because they have much more innate potential. could lower tier characters be used to greater effect than they are typically? yes, you can always try your hardest to hide your weaknesses and emphasize your strengths, become an expert on your character and how to play the matchups with upper tiers, you can overachieve, but you're still going to be overmatched when faced with a player of similar experience to you using one of those characters, and maybe even by a player of less experience than you.

Top tier characters are only better at basic game play. If you take two n00bs and pit them against one another, then yes, the top tier one will have an advantage. If someone actually would take the time to master a lower tier character player, they could become just as good, if not better, as a top tier player. The reason Link isn't "top tier" is because many of the Smash players are whiny ******s that just want the fast route to victory --> Top Tier. If people would stop being so **** obsessed w/ rankings and tournaments, then people would actually take time to appreciate the game play and get good w/ characters they LIKE. As opposed to characters that are good.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Top tier characters are only better at basic game play. If you take two n00bs and pit them against one another, then yes, the top tier one will have an advantage. If someone actually would take the time to master a lower tier character player, they could become just as good, if not better, as a top tier player. The reason Link isn't "top tier" is because many of the Smash players are whiny ******s that just want the fast route to victory --> Top Tier. If people would stop being so **** obsessed w/ rankings and tournaments, then people would actually take time to appreciate the game play and get good w/ characters they LIKE. As opposed to characters that are good.
QFT.

There are always going to be people who want to be the best by any means necessary though.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
tornado is hella overrated. its only useful against larger characters like D3. i actually use drill rush more then the mach tornado :dizzy:
..... What!? Drill rush isn't all that useful, there are hardly any situations that drill rush is better than the tornado.

TheFast

Smash Lord
ever think Sakurai made metaknight this way to mess with tourney tards? Cuz tripping was a big slap to our faces also. Maybe he wanted to make one character slightly better than all the others to mess with our minds and turn us against each other.

Nic64

Smash Lord
The mastered character argument is flawed in that

A) no one is perfect

B) the player using a better character than you can do this too. a perfect MK player vs a perfect player of <insert member of 70% of the cast> is a complete **** fest in favor of MK.

C) you're assuming no one has tried, which is totally false, there are a lot of really good players who use lower tier characters, you just don't hear about them much because they still usually lose to other good players using better characters

D) most of the whining seems to come from people who refuse to use a high tier character, as is evidenced by the OMG MK AND SNAKE ARE HAX BAN THEM talk(complete BS btw)

E) people like winning. it's not an obsession with tournaments, in any competition, people will do what they think gives them the best chance to win.

F) the idea that MK is dominant simply because he has the most players is completely false because he doesn't even have the most players, and plenty of people play lower tier characters, arguing this is just ignorant

pridy

:]
MK is not overpowered
he is the best character in the game
it is tuff to pull off but some characters can counter him
What makes MK seem overpowered is because someone can just pick him up and wreak havoc with him
that pisses off players like marth GaW Rob DDD Snake pika Wario (NOT all you need to do is dair) or any other high tiers i left out that put lots of training into their character

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i liked it so much better when snake was the best char, then mk.

toooo many sht heads who main MK now lol. no other chars will advance

ADHD

Smash Hero
MK is not overpowered
he is the best character in the game
it is tuff to pull off but some characters can counter him
What makes MK seem overpowered is because someone can just pick him up and wreak havoc with him
that pisses off players like marth GaW Rob DDD Snake pika Wario (NOT all you need to do is dair) or any other high tiers i left out that put lots of training into their character
It pisses off EVERYONE btw

Nic64

Smash Lord
usually, there are exceptions to everything... I actually have to work a lot harder at playing MK effectively than some of my other good characters, namely snake and lucario, but that's probably a freak occurrence

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
YES i am disappointed. If MK was a tad weaker, id probably have mained him. Now im just gonna practice him to fight against people who cant be beaten by my others. I loved the thought of playing MK but now i just can't think of playing him without feeling to play him to win, cause you win every fight against someone of your own level with different characters.

TheFast

Smash Lord
You know what if metaknight players piss you off sub him then when he comes up the better player (based on skill) will win

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
MK would be balanced if he didn't have so much reach and priority, maybe some less power or more lag. MK should have the lowest power in the game because he has the fastest attacks and is the gimping king.

Roager

Smash Ace
MK would be balanced if he didn't have so much reach and priority, maybe some less power or more lag. MK should have the lowest power in the game because he has the fastest attacks and is the gimping king.
To be fair, MK is actually REALLY weak. Possibly the lowest power in the game, except maybe sonic. The issue is that MK still causes flinching, which destroys jumps. This wouldn't be too bad, if MK didn't have over 9000 jumps to just sit there, hovering, and kill every jump you've ever had. That's why Yoshi and Snake do fairly well against MK. They don't always flinch, so they can actually live, so they can actually kill.

Roager

Smash Ace
You know what if metaknight players piss you off sub him then when he comes up the better player (based on skill) will win
If you go to a tourney, and decide to use MK if you fight an MK, you no longer main (insert main here). You now main MK.

ndubya

Smash Rookie
I personally hate people that say "Metaknight is easy to play good as."

If you want to be good with a character you need to practice with them. You cant just chose Meta and dominate with him. You need to practice, which is what a lot of people are forgetting. It's the same with Snake players.

M@v

Subarashii!
he has....no proven bad matchups. Isnt that enough right there? Hes an amazing secondary in a tourney, can fight almost any CP to your main.

Gindler

Smash Champion
MKs powerful? get out of town.

To be fair, MK is actually REALLY weak. Possibly the lowest power in the game, except maybe sonic. The issue is that MK still causes flinching, which destroys jumps. This wouldn't be too bad, if MK didn't have over 9000 jumps to just sit there, hovering, and kill every jump you've ever had. That's why Yoshi and Snake do fairly well against MK. They don't always flinch, so they can actually live, so they can actually kill.
I do hate when i play with anyone but yoshi against him how my jumps magically go away even if i don't initiate them to get interrupted, they just seem to disappear when mk hits me...

I personally hate people that say "Metaknight is easy to play good as."

If you want to be good with a character you need to practice with them. You cant just chose Meta and dominate with him. You need to practice, which is what a lot of people are forgetting. It's the same with Snake players.
He really isn't that easy to play as, i mean it's easy to be a decent mk but a good one? that takes at least some practice, more than it does to be a good snake anyway that's for sure. (I still can't glide all that well, then again I almost never try to practice anyway...)

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
ever think Sakurai made metaknight this way to mess with tourney tards? Cuz tripping was a big slap to our faces also. Maybe he wanted to make one character slightly better than all the others to mess with our minds and turn us against each other.
Of course he did, silly. Meta Knight is Sakurai's favorite creation. This isn't a coincidence.

UpTown

Smash Apprentice
Ya I know, odd question, but this is why I ask this. I loved Meta Knight as a character from the Kirby games. He was sort of the cliche badass, but still awesome. When I was waiting for him to be in Brawl, I was hoping that I could use him in his awesomenss and have people saying "Good game, you're an excellent Meta Knight player". After time have passed after Brawl came out, Meta Knight was good, but a bit too good. Instead of getting praise of me winning with Meta Knight, it was all "Man, Meta Knight is too ****** cheap! Too fast, too strong, too annoying to fight!"

I wanted Meta Knight to be good, but not to the point of obviously being the best, and having people think you use him only because he's the best.
QFT my friend, QFT.

Top Bottom