• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you disappointed by how powerful they made Meta Knight?

yamas11

Smash Cadet
Ya I know, odd question, but this is why I ask this. I loved Meta Knight as a character from the Kirby games. He was sort of the cliche badass, but still awesome. When I was waiting for him to be in Brawl, I was hoping that I could use him in his awesomenss and have people saying "Good game, you're an excellent Meta Knight player". After time have passed after Brawl came out, Meta Knight was good, but a bit too good. Instead of getting praise of me winning with Meta Knight, it was all "Man, Meta Knight is too ****** cheap! Too fast, too strong, too annoying to fight!"

I wanted Meta Knight to be good, but not to the point of obviously being the best, and having people think you use him only because he's the best.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Sry but meta knight is the most overrated character of all time. Seriously he has so many weaknesses. Im not saying hes strong, cause he is but he has alot of weaknesses that people who like or main him pretend dont exist. Ill name the huge ones

1)Projectiles:Anyone who has good projectiles like Snake or Link can easily screw meta knight up

2)He isnt "too" strong infact hes quite weak.....well if you were reffering to his strength then thats the case.

Also he has WAY more bad matchups than his fans give him.

he isnt that quick speed wise(attack wise though hes pretty fast) ......in fact i dont think hes much faster than toon link

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Sry but meta knight is the most overrated character of all time. Seriously he has so many weaknesses. Im not saying hes strong, cause he is but he has alot of weaknesses that people who like or main him pretend dont exist. Ill name the huge ones

1)Projectiles:Anyone who has good projectiles like Snake or Link can easily screw meta knight up
Um, powershield/tornado/MK doesn't need one because his melee game is insane?

2)He isnt "too" strong infact hes quite weak.....well if you were reffering to his strength then thats the case.
If his attacks were "strong," then he wouldn't be so effective at comboing/stringing attacks together. Also, the fact that he is insane at gimping nullifies any chance of this being a weakness. Besides, Falco has a hard time killing sometimes, and what tier is he? High tier; he doesn't need some kind of Captain Falcon (the melee one, anyways) knee or something because he has so many insane spacing tools *cough* SHL/Shine/Phantasm *cough*

Also he has WAY more bad matchups than his fans give him.
Bad matchup implies a disadvantage. MK has no matchups that are at his disadvantage; all of his matchups are 55:45 in favor of MK (at the very least).

he isnt that quick speed wise(attack wise though hes pretty fast) ......in fact i dont think hes much faster than toon link
lolWUT are you insane?
^(My replies in red)
l
l
l
This post of yours is going to attract so many MK haters...I agree that MK is a bit overrated, but seriously, if that's your reasoning behind that, then just stop.

It's sad when a MK main is arguing against another MK main about a topic like this, but I'm just so tired of scrubs trying to justify that MK is bad or something and, seemingly, trying to add to the huge collection of MK johns on these boards when they could be learning how to more effectively play MK/any of their secondaries/doing anything that is productive.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
I didnt say he was bad i in fact remarked several times that hes quite good but hes very overated. seriously theres more hype on him than melee fox and we all know fox (melee) is better. Dude his speed (running wise) isnt that great. Toon link goes around that speed and hes the slowest lightweight around. and what you said about those spacing tools are true but they dont make him strong (ganondorf wise not character wise)

i havnt faced a meta in 3 months tho so who knows what has happened, but i have never found him as hard as people are saying he is. When my connection is fixed and i can go online again ill find some pros (if you know any name them here along with their codes =) )

chaos_

Smash Journeyman
no its good they made him broken gives me a challenge lol

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I didnt say he was bad i in fact remarked several times that hes quite good but hes very overated. seriously theres more hype on him than melee fox and we all know fox (melee) is better. Dude his speed (running wise) isnt that great. Toon link goes around that speed and hes the slowest lightweight around. and what you said about those spacing tools are true but they dont make him strong (ganondorf wise not character wise)

i havnt faced a meta in 3 months tho so who knows what has happened, but i have never found him as hard as people are saying he is. When my connection is fixed and i can go online again ill find some pros (if you know any name them here along with their codes =) )
Online means nothing.

Also, he chases down toon link, viciously. Take a gander at Hylian's thread with the MK videos. He did that to one of the best TL's in the nation.

Still, he is beatable. You just have to be better than MK. I'm pickup up MK for his extreme crutch, the Mach Tornado, for doubles =\

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I hate when people use "He has no projectiles" to justify how Metaknight is..

JakobFe

Smash Cadet
"MK isn't broken, you just have to learn how to beat him."

If it takes this long for people to learn how to effectively defeat a metaknight, I'm thinking it has more to do with Metaknight being overpowered than people not practicing enough.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Nothing about meta knight disappoints me, I am disappointed over how *bad* most of the rest of the cast are, though, but I'd rather see other characters improved instead of MK being nerfed.

ChileNess

Smash Apprentice
i live where a Wii is and a tourney in the moment.
LOL MK is a very good char.

MK remembers me Fox (SSBM)......

lol seriosly itsn that the people is bad or MK broken.... its just the way MK plays is that he has advantage the way brawl plays so no way dude its just weird i dont know why they made MK the way is know we just keep how we are doing now and keep our lifes. after all our lives itsn en if MK is banned in the world.....

ADHD

Smash Hero
Let's see:

Good, lagless aerials with all good priority.
Ability to approach invincible (banned in some places)
A recovery so good that samus' melee recovery just doesn't compare.
Great ground speed, range, and pressure game.
His specials all have incredible priority.
Ability to chase your opponent consistently without a price.
Good KO moves (yes they are good)

If that doesn't sound like an amazing character that makes all others look bad, there's something wrong with you.

ChileNess

Smash Apprentice
i live where a Wii is and a tourney in the moment.
Let's see:

If that doesn't sound like an amazing character that makes all others look bad, there's something wrong with you.

LOL im with you.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Let's see:

These characteristics of Meta Knight show how broken he might as well be. Even he is light and stuff like that, what chances are you going to get on landing a kill move on him while he is spamming Fairs at you?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Let's see:

yes, MK is broken. i agree. not to the ponit of Akuma, though. not ban worthy.

oh and btw, nice sig

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
Let's see:

amen*
i still dunt think he should be banned though x_x and i dont even use him LOL i mean the people who dont play mk need to look at it as if its their fave char.. how would they feel if their fave char were banned for something as dumb as being a good character? learn to adapt and find a way to win people...

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Let's see:

This.I dont think he should be banned(or at least not yet) but I still think he is just an amazing character that doesnt have any big disadvantage.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I agree with the first post.. Metaknight is such a cool character, its a shame that of all things he is now the "gay mainstream char" :-/

Edit: A Question to the guys which were here for a longer time - I play smash since 64'times, but I was not concerned with the competitive US scene and this forums - werent it so, that Fox had no "bad matchup" either? Or is Metaknight another level of "greatness"?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yeah I agree with the first post.. Metaknight is such a cool character, its a shame that of all things he is now the "gay mainstream char" :-/

Edit: A Question to the guys which were here for a longer time - I play smash since 64'times, but I was not concerned with the competitive US scene and this forums - werent it so, that Fox had no "bad matchup" either? Or is Metaknight another level of "greatness"?
fox had his weaknesses

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
yeah, he had a few weaknesses. His strengths more than made up for it, also his AT's were pretty kool.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice

fox did have his weaknesses like while trying to recover with his up b you could use shieks needle and hit him out of it and he'd stop charging. and we all know how fast fox falls so it made gimping him easy for shiek. mk isnt the same he's almost impossible to gimp.

Smash Master
Melee Fox doesn't compare. He was good, but most of the cast could practically 0-death him if he made the tiniest mistake. When you play Fox, you make mistakes, trust me. It's too hard not to.

IDK

Smash Lord
he is definately beatable... but this is an overdiscussed topic. he has the edge in almost all matchups... but that doesn't mean he can't be beat.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
Melee Fox doesn't compare. He was good, but most of the cast could practically 0-death him if he made the tiniest mistake. When you play Fox, you make mistakes, trust me. It's too hard not to.
haha, so i'm not only one that thinks this. my friend's are like "MK isn't as good as melee fox or falco!"

Nic64

Smash Lord
haha, so i'm not only one that thinks this. my friend's are like "MK isn't as good as melee fox or falco!"
He's not, melee fox would **** him ten times over, he is however stronger in relation to the rest of the cast than fox was to melee, which is why I said that MK being good isn't the problem, it's that most other characters suck in this game.

PaThKu

Smash Rookie
What is with everyone here? All anyone does is whine about how _________ is cheap and how _________ is too powerful and how people only use _________ because their top tier. If you can play well, any character becomes cheap and powerful. Meta Knight is only top tier because of how many people play him. You can take any low tier player, PRACTICE and become just as cheap/powerful as any top tier character. Half of the people on these forums are dumb *****. Stop whining, no character will ever be banned and whining won't bring any Brawl updates to nerf MK.

ADHD

Smash Hero
What is with everyone here? All anyone does is whine about how _________ is cheap and how _________ is too powerful and how people only use _________ because their top tier. If you can play well, any character becomes cheap and powerful. Meta Knight is only top tier because of how many people play him. You can take any low tier player, PRACTICE and become just as cheap/powerful as any top tier character. Half of the people on these forums are dumb *****. Stop whining, no character will ever be banned and whining won't bring any Brawl updates to nerf MK.
he's top tier because he's obviously the best and has massive advantages over everyone else, he's annoying because middle tier character players with lots of talent and knowledge of the matchup will struggle against mediocre metaknights. With melee fox, you actually had to know your **** and be good. It's not much different with sheik to be honest, if you wanted to last in a tournament scene you had to be good. Not with metal night

PaThKu

Smash Rookie
he's top tier because he's obviously the best and has massive advantages over everyone else, he's annoying because middle tier character players with lots of talent and knowledge of the matchup will struggle against mediocre metaknights. With melee fox, you actually had to know your **** and be good. It's not much different with sheik to be honest, if you wanted to last in a tournament scene you had to be good. Not with metal night
He's top tier because people that play with him are good. Tier is based off of the Tourney results. People have found ways to make him good, and if people would get off the **** bandwagon and stop playing with people that are 'good', as opposed to playing with people that they like (which is how they should play) then eventually they would get good and other characters would move up.

tl;dr- if people would stop being so obsessed with winning and take the time to get good with a less popular character, other characters would be in the upper tiers, but the tournament obsessed people here ruin the fun element of the game and just focus on winning.

Nic64

Smash Lord
He's top tier because people that play with him are good. Tier is based off of the Tourney results. People have found ways to make him good, and if people would get off the **** bandwagon and stop playing with people that are 'good', as opposed to playing with people that they like (which is how they should play) then eventually they would get good and other characters would move up.

tl;dr- if people would stop being so obsessed with winning and take the time to get good with a less popular character, other characters would be in the upper tiers, but the tournament obsessed people here ruin the fun element of the game and just focus on winning.
Bull, look at link, probably nintendo's most popular character among gamers at this point and has had tons of players in each installment in the series, and in each installment, he has been mediocre to bad. Popularity does not make a character great, great characters become popular. MK was badass in a few of the kirby games, but do you honestly think he was the most popular and simply became dominant in brawl because more people wanted to play him? what about some of the other good characters like ROB or Pit, think they had huge support beforehand? and here's another thing, a lot of people intentionally play bad characters! I myself have spent more time playing ganondorf than any other character, I'm still better with like 6-8 other characters, because they have much more innate potential. could lower tier characters be used to greater effect than they are typically? yes, you can always try your hardest to hide your weaknesses and emphasize your strengths, become an expert on your character and how to play the matchups with upper tiers, you can overachieve, but you're still going to be overmatched when faced with a player of similar experience to you using one of those characters, and maybe even by a player of less experience than you.

Top Bottom