• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there exercises for finger dexterity/tech skill?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Indeed as the topic says.
The more I want to improve the more I find myself facing the same wall thats stopping me from going where I want to go.
My tech skill sucks.
The common thing would be "well just keep practicing".
1. It's not just one particular move but in general, I don't want to be tied to a character because thats the muscle reflex I have. I want to be able to learn things faster through having the dexterity to practice them in a shorter amount of time. I suppose this will come naturally with practice, but im not sure.
2. I play more than one character, and as such, I wont always be using the same move, since I may not always be using the same character.

Anywho, what exactly are the tips for beefing up the dexterity for tech skill.
Thank you for your assistance.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
playing computers are actually good for your reflexes but that about it. Really just keep playing and it will get better. Or you could pick up a musical intrument that requires you to use your fingers alot. i.e trumet, pinao, clarinet.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
The best thing would be to press eject on the Wii and put in Melee. Seriously, it'll improve you're techskill.

...What exactly do you have trouble with when it comes to techskill?

Hype

Smash Lord
I know that video games were fast reaction time is necessary improves you reaction time. Years of FPS's have put my reactions on steriods. One thing that I've noticed though, is that after my reactions improved a lot from video games I now flinch at everything.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I know that video games were fast reaction time is necessary improves you reaction time. Years of FPS's have put my reactions on steriods. One thing that I've noticed though, is that after my reactions improved a lot from video games I now flinch at everything.
Crap the same thing happened to me!

Omis

my friends were skinny
playing computers are actually good for your reflexes but that about it. Really just keep playing and it will get better. Or you could pick up a musical intrument that requires you to use your fingers alot. i.e trumet, pinao, OBOE.
Me playing the oboe has honestly seriously helped my tech skill. Soo many **** keys on the thing.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
@samuelson Yeah predicting your opponets move is a lot more valuable in brawl. But if you can't find yourself every doing it properly then I would try to master the tech side.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
The fingers used to play the Baritone really aren't used on a Wiichuck... :(

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Lol, I need techskill help too.
Bought Melee like, 2 weeks ago.
Need to play it more.
Dude, typing doesn't help techskill at all. I can type around like seventy to ninety words per minute yet my techskill is horrendous. Yes, I can type without looking. Unless, like, all of you guys type at 120 words per minute, then I'll say typing is related to techskill.

:093:

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Need to play it more.
Dude, typing doesn't help techskill at all. I can type around like seventy to ninety words per minute yet my techskill is horrendous. Yes, I can type without looking. Unless, like, all of you guys type at 120 words per minute, then I'll say typing is related to techskill.

Typing quickly is basically moving your fingers to a small area and pressing down buttons in a pre-determined order, likely without looking, and with very good accuracy. An awful lot like using a game controller, innit?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Kind of different muscle movement used though. Just look at the motions of your hands when your typing compared to when your playing on a game cube controller or on a wiichuck.

Ugg

Smash Champion
Need to play it more.

I wasn't talking about techskill as much as finger dexterity (unless they're the same thing, but I don't think muscle memory is part of finger dexterity)
And maybe I do type at 120 WPM? :psycho:

BOP!

Smash Rookie
You could strap tiney weights to your fingers as you played. It'd be like running with leg weights only smaller and for your fingers!

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I swear infractions should be sent to people who JUST say "play melee" and "learn melee" anymore.

Do you own other games that require some fast reactions? Maybe you can play other games on consoles or computer to help.

Levitas

the moon
Learn fox in melee. By that, I mean do a real drillshine chain on someone against a wall, learn to waveshine, get the SHDL down, firestalling, multishining, waveshine>multishine>waveshine, all that stuff.

I can't do any of that, btw. I have worse tech skill than most ******** iguanas.

Villi

Smash Lord
Practice finger efficiency. Theorize ways that might get your fingers from point A to point B faster, and make them habitual. To do that, just play games consciously aware of your technique, even if it makes you play bad. Eventually, you won't have to think of it anymore.

For strings of inputs, you just have to learn them in chunks and repeat them until you don't mess them up anymore.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Finger dexterity will not help you because you use your thumbs when you play Brawl. Other than R or L which you have to use your fingers or middle fingers, to press those. So even if you did find something to exercise your fingers, it wouldn't make your "tech skill" any better. Usually this sort of thing is made for pianists and guitarists.

Aesthetic

Smash Cadet
Play Guitar Hero. The speed that you need to change chords and stuff really gets your brain working, and fingers working. I was actually having a problem with teching until I played GH, which increased those aforementioned skills. So yeah, it really works.

Ulevo

Smash Master
mental skill >>>>>>>>>>>> tech skill

just sayin'...
This is true, and yet irrelevant.

If you have the mind to win, but no physical means to use that mind, you'll lose anyway. They go hand in hand, intelligence and tech skill.

At least, you need tech skill to use the character in question effectively before you can use your intellect.

I can't count how many times I've played friendlies with Ike, went to perform a well spaced short hop Bair OoS, and simply short hopped (and proceeded to be punished) because I'm too used to the fast reflexes required for another character.

This applies for any player using any character.

As for how to improve, I'm currently in the production of making custom stages to challenge my reflexes and reaction time. I suggest you do the same.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I'm going to go ahead and assume it is your thumbs that you want to speed up. A good exercise for speeding up your thumbs and making them more accurate is to take your GC controller and rotate the stick fully in a circle (hitting all those ridges). Make sure you are hitting every ridge, go clockwise and counter clockwise. Start off slow, and try to do it faster. Eventually you will be able to hit all those angles and pretty fast.

Other than that for general tech skill make sure you are not holding the controller too tight, you'll exaggerate movement and mess up more often.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
This happened to me too, its really annoying

IrArby

Smash Ace
Ok, I read through the 2pages and no one mentioned any one tech. Its alot easier to help if you guys name a few specific techs as I can't think of any that I've had trouble with in Brawl.

Secondly, Using your mind to better apply techskill>>>>>>>>>>>mindgames>>>>>>>>>>>techskill.

Thirdly, typing probably wont help your dexterity unless you claw and I don't know that anyone needs to claw in this game. Even playing an instrument only goes so far as many of them require overhand technique which as foremention is not very applicable. For underhand type instruments (guitar or guitarhero) its only so applicable since most people are right handed and fret with their left hand while pushing most of the buttons with their right thumb. As an accomplished guitarist myself, I'd say that most of my guitar tech skill (chops to use the correct term) doesn't carry over to smash unless its theoritically in that I try to use good economy of motion, getting the most out of movement as efficently/effortlessly as possible. Silent Wolf's controller never gets to be loud because he has awesome control and economy of motion.

Unless you guys can list some techs no ones going to able to give you better advice than Rohins. Otherwise I'm forced to say what a bunch of people said "Play Melee, Learn Fox". Learning how to SHDL with Fox makes SHDArrows with T.Link a breeze.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
There's tech skill in Brawl?
Very funny; there's actually a lot.

ANYWAY, here's what I'm having trouble with: tilt-landing.

Don't tell me to play other Wii/GC games because I lost my Wiimote so I can't change discs or I can't play Brawl anymore.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Kind of different muscle movement used though. Just look at the motions of your hands when your typing compared to when your playing on a game cube controller or on a wiichuck.

I wasn't talking about techskill as much as finger dexterity (unless they're the same thing, but I don't think muscle memory is part of finger dexterity)
And maybe I do type at 120 WPM? :psycho:
Finger dexterity will not help you because you use your thumbs when you play Brawl. Other than R or L which you have to use your fingers or middle fingers, to press those. So even if you did find something to exercise your fingers, it wouldn't make your "tech skill" any better. Usually this sort of thing is made for pianists and guitarists.
I agree with aeghrur here.

I play piano and I can type well over 110 WPM if I know what I'm going to write (lol of course, thinking about it makes it slower -__-).

But being able to press down and accurately with your index/middle/ring, heck, being able to control your pinky and move wrists is VERY different from being able to accurately position your thumbs.

I'm going to go ahead and assume it is your thumbs that you want to speed up. A good exercise for speeding up your thumbs and making them more accurate is to take your GC controller and rotate the stick fully in a circle (hitting all those ridges). Make sure you are hitting every ridge, go clockwise and counter clockwise. Start off slow, and try to do it faster. Eventually you will be able to hit all those angles and pretty fast.

Other than that for general tech skill make sure you are not holding the controller too tight, you'll exaggerate movement and mess up more often.
oshi- might be onto something there.

THUMB WARS!

Very funny; there's actually a lot.

ANYWAY, here's what I'm having trouble with: tilt-landing.

Don't tell me to play other Wii/GC games because I lost my Wiimote so I can't change discs or I can't play Brawl anymore.
lol@ wii-mote issue. That happened to me for a while but my wii was off.
XD

What exactly do you mean by tilt-landing?

like, landing and buffering a tilt?
----------

also, @ techskill comment:
There's defensive tech skill in Brawl. Go and consistently SDI out of MK's F-air and GAW's B-air. Tech stage spikes consistently, interpret and DI horizontal launching moves downward and tech the floor instead of doing the normal upwards DI and risking an anti-recovery attempt.

;_;

Deoxys

Smash Lord
What exactly do you mean by tilt-landing?

like, landing and buffering a tilt?
How to Perform: Do a D-smash/D-air at the very beginning of your character's landing animation.
Effect: Character does a D-tilt instead of a D-smash or D-air. Timing is super-difficult, but it is possible.
*Note: On-land D-tilts can be performed without glitches by holding Down and pressing A/C-stick-Down during landings.*

In retrospect, I guess it doesn't have a practical application after all. Forget I said anything!

meta master

Smash Journeyman
lol, people keep on asking me in school why i flinch at everything.

Top Bottom