• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there any new Sonic players? (mains/secondaries)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Dear lurkers,
if you're still relatively new to Sonic and/or haven't delved into the gameplay too deep,
please post here.

I wanna get a feel to see if there are still people picking up this character, or if it's basically solidified into the core group of people here/AiB etc.

For my purposes, you don't necessarily have to be using him in tourneys, or even compete at all - I just want to know if there are still people who actually would uh, say, use the guides lol.

Trent

Smash Champion
I tend to go over the guides every other week or so just to refresh myself if I get to predictable. Just to remind myself that I have other options.

I would say I still use the guides, it's a nice guideline of everything Sonic can do, especially since I'm not using them all in a match.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
I remember Chis making a similar thread, called "Sonic roll call+" or something.

I still use the guides, even when you had that April Fools joke with that asian girl on that A1. >.>

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I still use the guides, and i rely heavily on threads to get a better understanding of Sonic, I know most of the stuff now, but i'm still picking up on some things (ASC and SD "Simple Combos", Homing Attack, Etc.)
Does that make me n00b? ^_^

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
If there are any new sonic mains, they're idiots lol. No one should be picking up this garbage character.
Scourge is where it's at

Nah really though. The only time anyone new will come on here playing sonic is when he moves all the way into low tier where he belongs :l

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
I'm new-ish. Been around for a while but just never ever post. Been to about 8 tourneys since december and steakin it up everyday.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I have been using him on the side for lulz, I know his ATs and whatnot but I'm not fully into the Sonic groove. Trying to not be predictable, punishing, stalling to make your opponent rage. Sonic does suck tho

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
I losely second scourge, but only after seeing how wedge plays, which isn't the best idea since I've only seen wifail clips.

Geddan

Smash Ace
i second sonic. i used to look at the guides a lot before when i was first learning the character, but now i just reference them from time to time if i forget something.

i have a very poor memory though.... :p

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I've been playing Sonic for well around half a year, but only really committed to using him in tourneys recently. =P

I used to main Ness, and most people assume I still do because of my reputation for ****** with him in crews and other things. Switched to Sonic once I eventually got tired of being grab released ****ed by the usual Marth, wolf, Wario, Snake, etc.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Yea I use the guide everyday. I printed it out and hung it on wall. I train my tech skill about 3 hours a day but I'm afraid to post here because I've heard the sonic boards are so hostile :xx :<

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I've been playing Sonic for well around half a year, but only really committed to using him in tourneys recently. =P

I used to main Ness, and most people assume I still do because of my reputation for ****** with him in crews and other things. Switched to Sonic once I eventually got tired of being grab released ****ed by the usual Marth, wolf, Wario, Snake, etc.
You know Sonic GR ****s Ness too, right? I 2-0'd a ness in tournament in March due to GRing him across the stage and gimping his recovery. Lmao.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Hello everyone,

I'm a sonic and ike main.

I rarely post at forums but read a lot about my characters. One main reason for this is that I don't own a wii and play brawl at college and at friends' place so I can't really get involved in any hot discussions like match-ups or ATs. This makes me really sad; its not at all like me to sit quiet when interesting things are going around.

Though I grew up with sonic and like him way more than ike, I usually play ike at competitive levels since learning sonic is harder for me and I can't really practice him as my peeps always go competitive. But I am beginning to use him more often now and really hope to get better.

I remember reading a post somewhere that there's another sonic and ike main besides me around here. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Kinzer was an Ike main.

He had a thread in the Ike boards, actually. pokepoke

Sometimes I also play Retreating Fair too, but usually just with friends. His Fsmash is great to troll with.

POONR

Smash Cadet
Sonic alt now

Used to main Sonic, then found out what a trap I began falling into. I became very good with him, until everyone around me knew exactly how to play against me. Sonic is too predictable and it isn't easy when the only way to land kills are to be creative. I alt Sonic now because I can still play well with him, but I've moved on to characters who have more reliability with their kill potentials. :p

shikashake2

Smash Cadet
I started maining Sonic a few months ago. I don't use the guides at this point, but it might be a good idea.

blu_7

Smash Rookie
I'm currently still trying to get a hang of him for use as my second main character. He is very fun to use, but the analog stick still feels weird in comparison to Kirby.

Also, I'm a big Sonic fan, so that makes me press on to master him. :)

Popertop

Smash Champion
I've been trying to find another secondary (I pretty much play every character)
and I've been having tons of fun with Sonic lately.

He's just waaay too fast for my own good.

Sperz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sperzz
Mad lurker here...

I browse, I read, I got better in a year.

Thanks to Malcolm youtube videos and the Sonic guides here.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I've just decided to second Sonic.

I'm a Ganon main, but I was a Sega kid who had to settle for SNES games, cause that's what we had.

~SD

2fast

Smash Journeyman
I picked up Sonic like a month ago (he's my second now) and I recently went to my first tourney. The people there told me to make an account here on Smashboards so here I am. And yes, I use the guides here. In fact, they've been a massive help to me.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a new sonic main, but I just started playing brawl again a couple of days ago. I used to play a lot, but I used like half of the characters before. Plus I stopped to play other games and focus on other stuff. Now I'm more set on getting my Sonic good than before so I'm gonna try to get some videos of my sonic for people to critique, and I'm gonna go for more online play. But if there's any tourneys in CT please tell me cuz I know offline play is better practice and not too many people in my town play any smash.

Kole

Smash Lord
I mained him before. I'm trying to pick him back up as a secondary

황미영

Smash Champion
I used to main him right after ZSS. I gave up on him, since I sucked went back to ZSS, and now it's Peach. I like Sonic as a character which is why I picked him up before. I still play him but usually not in tourney since I'm really bad with him. xD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...!

I'm not sure if it was already mentioned or not, but it'd be such a big help if all the new players and any potential lurkers could take a look at some of these guides and say what's outdated or what's missing from the guides. I would like to work on some more detailed and complete Sonic guides if I can find the motivation to get them done.

I wonder if reversing Spin Dash for momentum canceling will have any effect...

Tenki

Smash Hero
at one point, we tried B-reversing Ike's side-B (charge) as a momentum cancel.
I don't think it worked, so I doubt it'll work for Sonic.

PS. wb kinzer lol

Inf1nity

Smash Rookie
I made an account yesterday just so i could post here in case i had any questions about playing sonic if that counts.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
yep, I go over the guides, nearly as frequently as possible, not too much though, need time for daily stuff and time to put what I learn into practice :D though I've been playing Sonic for quite a while now, just not at tournies but I do play competitively ;)

Edit: Not at Tournies... yet.

Life

Smash Hero
Well, since the thread is bumped:

I've been playing Sonic for a while now, but I'm only just getting into ATs and whatnot now. And no tournament experience yet.

Spin Dashie

Smash Cadet
I still play Sonic, but like some I've also fallen into those "other characters" like Snake, MK, Diddy. Ironically, not because they're top 3 but because I actually enjoy playing as them. Still though no matter what, I always go back to playing Sonic in the end.

I actually just scan the forums looking for new vids and stuff on the best characters thread so I hardly ever post anything.

Sonic-Rave

Smash Journeyman
It's only been about a week after me coming back into the brawl scene. For those who don't know me, I'm a GA sonic main with Fox as a secondary.

Most people know me as Sharpie or SHAVE

Aside from relearning most of Sonic's MUs, I've pretty much gotten back into the rhythm of the game and now that I'm in a much more convenient situation, I hope to progress further then I ever have before

overtheunder

Smash Cadet
I main sonic... I haven't played and tournies yet and I suck cause i just started getting into competitive brawl but the guides help me. They will help me a lot more once I get my own wii in a few days;o

Onions

Smash Rookie
New Sonic main here. How are you guys? Ya I go over the boards everyday too hoping to contribute my own things. (With Sonic) Any advice would be helpful on playing Sonic. Thank you!

Edit: Oh ya and Ill be attending tourneys not too long from now so I may get to see some of you guys.

Top Bottom