• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 4, 2015] SWEET XX: A Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament feat. Westballz! (East Lansing, MI)

the last one was like 50. but this one probably will have more. i'm not sure what a good estimate would be.

but you should come so we can do that smash 64 MM that was supposed to happen at apex lolz

also there shall be EPIC drinking/partying afterwards. EPIC i say

Tink

Smash Hero
they said they were going to put the extra venue fee into an OoS bonus i thinkkk....but 10 dollars would be legit...just not as many ppl would enter :/.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
$10 is decided. SO NVM.

EDIT: and I can likely house some people. We have plenty of blankets and 4 couches. We likely will be partying or up until 3/4 though...so as long as you're partying with us I mean you'll pass out anyway. hah.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
5 dollars? ****in recession i blame obama

also smashfests are for attendance... if kids wanna compete they will pay the money. u can't baby them forever. they either wanna play or they don't. if not they will come to the smashfests until they feel good enough to enter, or they won't enter.

set up an AM bracket if ur trying to grow the community.

you should also stress to em that tournys are the best way to get better, so step it up and enter.

poor college kids need to get a job.

but to say u had so and so entrants is misleading if some kids don't stand a chance and haven't rly ltp yet.

if ur in the market for attracting more travelers and oos the price goes up. more local the price goes down.

i'm coming in acting like u want it to be huge and diverse but maybe you don't. anywho my vote is price increase
We do want the event to be huge. That was one of our goals when we sat down in August and planned this series out. It kind of works both ways... we gained a ton of new Melee players recently and part of that was due to the manageable entry fees. These guys are all serious about competing, but might not have the same willingness to spend $25 on a day of Smash as others are. I know OoS is looking for more of a reason to attend, and raising the price accomplishes that, but I hope you guys understand that a possible resulting decrease in turnout wouldn't necessarily reflect the depth of the community we've grown in the past few months.

So yeah. The series finale will have a $10 entry fee per person per event and a $5 venue fee. But I'd like to see some actual confirmation by OoS... we are setting aside the normal rules and making a change, so I think it's fair to expect some commitment from those demanding it.

EDIT: Hungrybox, answer your AIM!!

Tink

Smash Hero
unlike MI, when we say were coming, we always go -_-. a finale should always be bigger/better, and charging 10 just seems right i would think....even to scrubs i would think.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
tink you say youre going to like every national and then never go to any of them

good **** everybody

Velynn

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it's mostly Bigy posting randomly saying "I'm coming to this and ****** everyone"

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Extension cords and setups are gonna be extremely crucial to this. Last time we had plenty for 30 people, but with 50 we'll need some more obviously. Since there are only outlets on one side extension cords will be make or break.

50 entrants are counted on the first page and that isn't including like 5 more confirmed in the last two pages.
WOW.

MI gonna win. We got that Velynn practice. and Velynn.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Alrighty I can tell you I am coming. Drephen may or may not come with me. I will try and wrangle up some other cbus smashers for a solid car.

Sorry to come off harsh just throwing my opinion out there in the mix. I didn;t wanna sound wishy washy cuz that is what I WANT. i know there's other things that go into it. I wasn't worried if you disagreed or anything.

But now that i got my way yayyyyyyyyyy no regrets LOL... nah i just hope u guys can still wrangle some of the young bucks to participate. try to gurantee swee sets to watch and stuff as well as real good ppl to play. if they don't like playing real good ppl.... try to get rivalries between the bad ppl going haha
Any means necessary!!

kinda hype now

Tink

Smash Hero
pshhhhhh.......thats my partner H-Box.....get outta the MW koolaid....you may have singles, but the MW guardians will have teams.

Edit: if kelly ditches me, he will have a hard time finding a ride 0_o.

double edit: then again, a kelly+hbox team would prolly suck lolll...unless you know how to team with kelly, its gonna be a terrible team.

Moooose

Smash Champion
oh **** wow this got huge quick
yesss i finally get to go to a regional and i dont even have to go oos BDOML

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Here's the plan for next Saturday... I am picking up Hungrybox from DTW at 9:45am, then heading back to Ann Arbor to get Moose, Duck, Brainjack, Gio, and possibly Lain. The other AA car will be FJW, Chad, Sasha, 3Chairz, Kai, and hewhosmites. We're aiming to arrive at MSU at 12:30pm or sooner.

Dre the Ace

Smash Ace
I was just about to PM you Rob, but it seems everything is fine now.

And uhh wtf, I leave this thread for 12 hours, and this **** turns into a regional, lol. Looks like I'll need some major help running this.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm writing up tentative pools based on OoS attendance. I'll also help make bracket, and I'm sure BigD will have some input as well.

The biggest mistake we made at SWEET III was not doing singles pools earlier. Let's start those up even before teams is finished. Because of this I think it'd be wise to push forward the singles registration and singles pools start time by one hour.

Here's the updated schedule:

1:00pm - Friendlies, Melee Teams Registration
2:00pm - Melee Teams Bracket, Melee Singles Registration
4:00pm - Melee Singles Pools
6:00pm - Dinner Break
7:00pm - Melee Singles Bracket
10:00pm - Venue Closes

Dinner break depends on singles pools finishing on time. You take too long with your pool, you don't get as much time off.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
you'll get TO help, i generally help like you said and eighteenspikes is coming, ask him about where to find premade pool sheets to just print out

Top Bottom