• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Lol at this convo.....come to play....i played m2k and was excited,to play a top player...i dont understand y ppl get so discouraged to play hi level ppl...to be the best is to beat the best....and playing top level ppl lets u gauge where u stand in the community.....step it up tristate we gettin our swag back

:phone:

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Lol at this convo.....come to play....i played m2k and was excited,to play a top player...i dont understand y ppl get so discouraged to play hi level ppl...to be the best is to beat the best....and playing top level ppl lets u gauge where u stand in the community.....step it up tristate we gettin our swag back

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Its not much a of a convo, its more like I didnt understand and now I do. Also, I wasnt discouraged, just kind of thinking it seemed weird to fight Slox so early. Either way , I get it now.There are more tournaments to prove yourself. One ****ty bracket wont define you as a player, the long run does. It also matters who you lose to/who you beat , not really how far you get. Also, I hope we get that new player critique up and running.

Max?

Smash Champion
Another Tristate tourney with no results thread or videos? Shocking. Oh and it was poorly seeded to? No kidding

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I've said this before, but "seeding" the bracket with the mentality that every player should be playing for 1st place, while simultaneously paying out beyond only 1st, is completely contradictory.

S l o X

Smash Champion
how to fix this: go to hall of gaming and watch how it's done.

oh and just beating whoever you have to play early. **** up the tournament like when mango lost to SW in link dittos.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
The seeding thing I guess would depend on preference. I personally think its unfair how Slox was seeded, but I havent been to a good amount of tournaments and i only go around here. i hate how there is no results thread a week after, and like usual , singles started late. ... I gotta go to one of these New England tournaments! Slox is sick...just not that much better than ;)

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Another Tristate tourney with no results thread or videos? Shocking. Oh and it was poorly seeded to? No kidding
There is a video thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=333767

Results threads=larger attendance in the future
This THIS THIS, I can't stress this enough. It also encourages players who may have had their first win/loss in tournament to keep going to tournaments. My first tournament where I actually eliminated I think two players there was no results thread posted ;_;

The seeding thing I guess would depend on preference. I personally think its unfair how Slox was seeded, but I havent been to a good amount of tournaments and i only go around here. i hate how there is no results thread a week after, and like usual , singles started late. ... I gotta go to one of these New England tournaments! Slox is sick...just not that much better than ;)

I almost died of sleep deprivation whilst driving home. Singles needs to start way earlier.

Alukard

Smash Hero
i usually post results in this thread but i told the people at the venue i will start posting results threads ... also i have a life the tournament was 5 days ago ... it slips my mind when i get home i sleep ... you bash on the nyc scene so much yet want it to improve ... it gets really annoying

how to fix this: go to hall of gaming and watch how it's done.

oh and just beating whoever you have to play early. **** up the tournament like when mango lost to SW in link dittos.
i think where i put you was fine remember we had a bunch of decent good players that entered... i really think you will see what i mean in a few mins when i upload the info to a results thread

I hope Alu responds.

sorry man ... its been busy ... especially at the new venue ... new monitors for other tournaments and i know you saw those huge flat screens we put up as well ... i have a ton on my plate ... i tend to forget to upload stuff ... gimme a break lol

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Anything going on in March on the weekend of the 16th? Gonna be in the area and was wondering if I should bring mah cube and controller.

Max?

Smash Champion
i usually post results in this thread but i told the people at the venue i will start posting results threads ... also i have a life the tournament was 5 days ago ... it slips my mind when i get home i sleep ... you bash on the nyc scene so much yet want it to improve ... it gets really annoying
I respect that you have a life, and yes I do bash the scene mostly because I'm a cynical ******* who is too busy to be involved in it. It's not just you, its like EVERYONE. We all talk about how we want stuff to improve but no one really does anything. And it's all small stuff too, putting up a results thread takes like 3 minutes and could totally be done after the tourney ends. If it was something that happened once in awhile, who cares? But it's been like this for almost ALL Tristate tournies for a good year or so. I'm totally guilty of all this as well, there is a ton I could do to help motivate and push the scene forward, but frankly I don't care enough to do so.

I'm going back under the bridge to feed now, bbl

Alukard

Smash Hero
so its looking like the next no johns has to be on march 2nd ... because the whole month of march is taken by something else... so yea lets start hyping it up now because we had a really decent turn out this time

S l o X

Smash Champion
I don't really understand these things. Everyone wants the scene to improve but no one ever really does anything outside of going to tournaments and expecting things to change without any actual things changing. Well . . .

As a TO: Seed the brackets. I don't mean just seed the top 4 players so they don't face until Semi's, I mean seed the next 4 players too. It literally takes like an additional 5 minutes and makes the bracket a LOT better in terms of matches and not bracket ****** anyone. Using manual seeding is easy and is just as easy as hitting Random and then putting M2k and Hax on different sides. Sometimes there are newer faces from different regions, as the TO you need to ask around if anyone knows them and can judge their skill level for you. In NE, this is pretty much automatic. Matt, Tim, and KevinM all used to basically help co-TO each others tournaments. Asking ?s only helps everyone's tournament experience.

Also just run the tournament. Waiting a few minutes is fine, thirty minutes? Okay sure, you guys are friends but waiting for two hours for one person to show up for doubles is never good. I'm not gonna tell you how to run your tournament, just how to run it better.

As a player: Show up to these things on time and bring setups. The TO of the tournament has done enough by getting the venue and taking responsibility for pretty much everything and running it. Also you can't complain about lack of setups if you didn't bring your own. If you live close to the venue and have setups you can bring, don't question it. There are people driving out hours to go to the same place you live down the street from, help everyone have a better time by simply bringing your gamecube and TV.

As a M2K: Play friendlies with me and stop talking about Brawl friendlies you won. Thanks M2K!

Everyone will probably ignore this but I don't know. I'm just trying to help the NY scene out. There's so much potential but no one is really stepping up and just accepting that everyone can get better. NE can run pools because we get to the tournament on time. Maine comes from TWO HOURS DEEP (****ing canada deep) to our tournaments and they come on time. We still run pools even when they come late. It's a community effort, not just the TO. Step it up guys. See you guys at the next No Johns.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Give RJ a mic and have him walk around the venue. **** will get done lol.

I see how seeding more players could help everyone's tournament experience. I think location needs to be taken into account also. Knut lost his first round match to Mafia and then had to play Ben Grimm which I think they were in the same car pool to the event(both from Long Island).

Players want to test their skills against people they haven't faced before.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I don't really understand these things. Everyone wants the scene to improve but no one ever really does anything outside of going to tournaments and expecting things to change without any actual things changing. Well . . .

As a TO: Seed the brackets. I don't mean just seed the top 4 players so they don't face until Semi's, I mean seed the next 4 players too. It literally takes like an additional 5 minutes and makes the bracket a LOT better in terms of matches and not bracket ****** anyone. Using manual seeding is easy and is just as easy as hitting Random and then putting M2k and Hax on different sides. Sometimes there are newer faces from different regions, as the TO you need to ask around if anyone knows them and can judge their skill level for you. In NE, this is pretty much automatic. Matt, Tim, and KevinM all used to basically help co-TO each others tournaments. Asking ?s only helps everyone's tournament experience.

Also just run the tournament. Waiting a few minutes is fine, thirty minutes? Okay sure, you guys are friends but waiting for two hours for one person to show up for doubles is never good. I'm not gonna tell you how to run your tournament, just how to run it better.

As a player: Show up to these things on time and bring setups. The TO of the tournament has done enough by getting the venue and taking responsibility for pretty much everything and running it. Also you can't complain about lack of setups if you didn't bring your own. If you live close to the venue and have setups you can bring, don't question it. There are people driving out hours to go to the same place you live down the street from, help everyone have a better time by simply bringing your gamecube and TV.

As a M2K: Play friendlies with me and stop talking about Brawl friendlies you won. Thanks M2K!

Everyone will probably ignore this but I don't know. I'm just trying to help the NY scene out. There's so much potential but no one is really stepping up and just accepting that everyone can get better. NE can run pools because we get to the tournament on time. Maine comes from TWO HOURS DEEP (****ing canada deep) to our tournaments and they come on time. We still run pools even when they come late. It's a community effort, not just the TO. Step it up guys. See you guys at the next No Johns.
Going to buy a new setup! This is so true!

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I still visit this thread, try not to censor dodge guys =/

As for seeding, I think it should be done by region. I'm actually fine with the way Alu does skill seeding. Its dumb for consistent top 4-6 placings to fight early, but its hard to judge everyone's skills accurately. If I entered the next No Johns, I don't expect to be seeded as I used to as 2nd/3rd seed and I shouldn't be and I'd be totally fine with that.

But w/e, floats the boat I guess

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Slox sayin that no 1 is stepping up is kinda messed up...i try to step up s much as possible....moon stepped up ALOT and revelation is getting good to. The question isnt y knut played mafia but who did ben grimm lose 2....if ben won his 1st match or if knut beat mafia which isn't impossible then it would had been avoided. Like apex 2012 jman and hax played 2nd or 3rd round losers....crap hapens

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Slox sayin that no 1 is stepping up is kinda messed up...i try to step up s much as possible....moon stepped up ALOT and revelation is getting good to. The question isnt y knut played mafia but who did ben grimm lose 2....if ben won his 1st match or if knut beat mafia which isn't impossible then it would had been avoided. Like apex 2012 jman and hax played 2nd or 3rd round losers....crap hapens

But this isnt the first seeding problem, and I think Slox meant step it up in the tournament aspect and changing bad habits.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I mean did you read what I wrote? I said step it up like try to help improve the tournament, not play better. That's what the WHOLE post was about.

Everyone is stepping up there game. I would never say something so dumb. -__-

PK Webb

Smash Champion
But there r alot of ppl in the same skill range how do u seed that...how would u seed me swift slox moon...someone is bound to get screwed....i do believe slox shud get more respect as a player but thats not my call. I get seeded ok and there have been times where I play m2k or dj 2nd round....it is what it is....a tourney...now playing ppl u came in the car with in WINNERS there is no excuse but in losers somethings can't.be helped....thats my 2 cents.dip

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I can go to this, not sure if the disc i have works on the gamecube but i can bring a wii. I also may be able to bring a recording setup for livestream purposes.

Why do you NEED a cube?

Benteezy

Smash Rookie
Why do ppl in melee ALWAYS cry about seeding??!? this isnt just at slox since ppl have been doing this since 06.

If you want to win the tournament (or place as high as u possibly can) which should be ur goal anyways. YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE TOUGH MATCHUPS EVENTUALLY. Does it make u feel better if you got 5th as opposed to 13th? maybe.. Does it actually matter if you didnt play anyone good, NO it doesnt matter at all!

U should have 1 of 2 goals in tourney play, either WIN or IMPROVE.

If u want to win you have to play the good ppl eventually so not seeing the problem

If u want to improve then you should be wanting to play ppl that are better than you in tourney so u can play them at their best/under pressure and see how you do.

I dont see what situation has you wanting to fight randoms for 2 rounds, do u want to warm up? get their early and play friendlies. STOP CRYING ALL THE TIME.

SEEDING IS FOR THE TOP PLAYERS IN ANY GAME. Im sure brian tries his hardest to seed by location for the ppl he knows but its not his JOB to seed by location its YOUR JOB as a player to go to him and say look man this guy is my training partner we play all the time can you seed us apart.

THIS IS ALL TAKING INTO ACCOUNT SEEDING ONLY AFFECTS WINNERS... HOW DO PPL STILL NOT UNDERSTAND THAT??? HES NOT GONNA SIT THERE AND PREDICT THE ENTIRE BRACKET TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT RUN INTO EACH OTHER AT ALL.

IF YOU GO INTO LOSERS THAT IS YOUR FAULT AND U SHOULD BE PREPARED TO DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES.

4-5 cars of 4-6 ppl and u want him to make sure none of these 24 ppl mix or match wrong and meet each other. LMAO.

I wish you guys used to play when we had to deal wit wes/bum/ace/kfox/dj/tati/ and then randomly ppl like teczero would come thru and bring 5 good players from jersey and vanz was up and coming, and jash was pumping spacies left and right and blackanese chain grabbing ppl. it didnt matter who u played ur goal was to beat everyone! and u had to take ur freaking lumps.

Last note i want to touch on, and this is more of a life perspective thing. Your life experiences are what you make of them, stop blaming others for how you feel about things, you have a choice to let things upset you or not.

Hope this helps ya step ya games up cuz im tired of ppl wanting byes and easy brackets, but then come on the boards talk about step ur game up lmao

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
The good old days?

Survival of the fittest man. I remember first tourney I attended I had benny r1 then bum r2, then like I think I had to beat starzonedge r6 or something JUST to get 5th. Good times

Definitely a rough bracket and that was a regular old weekly. Times definitely feel like its changed.

Benteezy

Smash Rookie
The good old days?

Survival of the fittest man. I remember first tourney I attended I had benny r1 then bum r2, then like I think I had to beat starzonedge r6 or something JUST to get 5th. Good times

Definitely a rough bracket and that was a regular old weekly. Times definitely feel like its changed.
HAILEY I MISS U!

PS i still call it the teczero whenever i backthrow ftilt a shiek at the ledge then dair their jump, <333333333

IF U GONNA BE AROUND YOU HAVE TO COME OS WE CAN PLAY

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion

I did win my first match, i lost in round 2 against m2k

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Why do ppl in melee ALWAYS cry about seeding??!? this isnt just at slox since ppl have been doing this since 06.

If you want to win the tournament (or place as high as u possibly can) which should be ur goal anyways. YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE TOUGH MATCHUPS EVENTUALLY. Does it make u feel better if you got 5th as opposed to 13th? maybe.. Does it actually matter if you didnt play anyone good, NO it doesnt matter at all!

U should have 1 of 2 goals in tourney play, either WIN or IMPROVE.

If u want to win you have to play the good ppl eventually so not seeing the problem

If u want to improve then you should be wanting to play ppl that are better than you in tourney so u can play them at their best/under pressure and see how you do.

I dont see what situation has you wanting to fight randoms for 2 rounds, do u want to warm up? get their early and play friendlies. STOP CRYING ALL THE TIME.

SEEDING IS FOR THE TOP PLAYERS IN ANY GAME. Im sure brian tries his hardest to seed by location for the ppl he knows but its not his JOB to seed by location its YOUR JOB as a player to go to him and say look man this guy is my training partner we play all the time can you seed us apart.

THIS IS ALL TAKING INTO ACCOUNT SEEDING ONLY AFFECTS WINNERS... HOW DO PPL STILL NOT UNDERSTAND THAT??? HES NOT GONNA SIT THERE AND PREDICT THE ENTIRE BRACKET TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT RUN INTO EACH OTHER AT ALL.

IF YOU GO INTO LOSERS THAT IS YOUR FAULT AND U SHOULD BE PREPARED TO DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES.

4-5 cars of 4-6 ppl and u want him to make sure none of these 24 ppl mix or match wrong and meet each other. LMAO.

I wish you guys used to play when we had to deal wit wes/bum/ace/kfox/dj/tati/ and then randomly ppl like teczero would come thru and bring 5 good players from jersey and vanz was up and coming, and jash was pumping spacies left and right and blackanese chain grabbing ppl. it didnt matter who u played ur goal was to beat everyone! and u had to take ur freaking lumps.

Last note i want to touch on, and this is more of a life perspective thing. Your life experiences are what you make of them, stop blaming others for how you feel about things, you have a choice to let things upset you or not.

Hope this helps ya step ya games up cuz im tired of ppl wanting byes and easy brackets, but then come on the boards talk about step ur game up lmao
The way you said you have to fight someone good eventually in the beginning is making it sound like there are "Good" players, and there are "Bad" Players. You should want to fight people at your skill level, or a LITTLE higher. Why would I just get thrown into a professional basketball team and just "get better" you work your way up. Its not like "not good" then "good" If you are the randoms, OF COURSE you wanna fight other randoms. There are degrees within that you have to overcome. If I get m2k round 1, then T.webb round 2 at all tournaments, then ONE time I get a random, how did I get better? In tournament playing people at your skill or AROUND your skill helps alot more than just playing friendlies with those randoms. As you know, tournaments are way different then friendlies. You make it sound like my target to beat is let's say T.webb, but what if im not on that level yet? What if I still can't beat Captain Smuckers? That would be the purpose of seeding another level.

Also saying this "4-5 cars of 4-6 ppl and u want him to make sure none of these 24 ppl mix or match wrong and meet each other. LMAO. "

is completely OVER EXAGGERATING and doesn't really happen like this LOL.

Lastly: "Your life experiences are what you make of them, stop blaming others for how you feel about things, you have a choice to let things upset you or not. "

If a 60% of the venue felt badly about how brackets were done and the fact that it ran late, DO YOU WANT THEM TO SIT AND JUST SAY "Whatever man". TOs job is for the players. If a bunch of people feel that there is something wrong, experiment and change it to see if it works well. ESPECIALLY since this isn't the first complaint.

-Edit: Also, this isnt the old days anymore, and this isnt an old crew. These are new players with different mentality, and popular rule should usually go. (Im not saying it should go in effect now, but see what others who attended the tourney thought.)

Alukard

Smash Hero
yo man ... basically everything ben said.... i'm getting tired of explaining that losers cannot be controlled ... and the way i seed is just top players and i try to seed you guys away from friends in winners ... thats all i really can do ... slox you are now proving yourself alot more ... i am going to seed you a bit higher now ... just so you guys know theres nothing really wrong with my seeding ... if you take a look at the bracket ...

top side DJ, slox, killa fox, Swift, Warriorknight, Hax

bottom side M2k, Ben Grimm, Twebb, Mafia, Guardianknight, HBK,

now i seperated those people best i could taking in region and skill ... its not that easy when we are all getting better ... now suck it up and win u pansies ... you guys woulda cried back in the web2zone days where it was 28 people and 22 were top players ... dead serious get top 3 the week before and play ace marth second round ALL THE TIME!!!

seriously tho i already said good stuff to slox for doing so well vs dj and ben grimm for beating warriorknight

Benteezy

Smash Rookie
The way you said you have to fight someone good eventually in the beginning is making it sound like there are "Good" players, and there are "Bad" Players. You should want to fight people at your skill level, or a LITTLE higher. Why would I just get thrown into a professional basketball team and just "get better" you work your way up. Its not like "not good" then "good" If you are the randoms, OF COURSE you wanna fight other randoms. There are degrees within that you have to overcome. If I get m2k round 1, then T.webb round 2 at all tournaments, then ONE time I get a random, how did I get better? In tournament playing people at your skill or AROUND your skill helps alot more than just playing friendlies with those randoms. As you know, tournaments are way different then friendlies. You make it sound like my target to beat is let's say T.webb, but what if im not on that level yet? What if I still can't beat Captain Smuckers? That would be the purpose of seeding another level.

Also saying this "4-5 cars of 4-6 ppl and u want him to make sure none of these 24 ppl mix or match wrong and meet each other. LMAO. "

is completely OVER EXAGGERATING and doesn't really happen like this LOL.

Lastly: "Your life experiences are what you make of them, stop blaming others for how you feel about things, you have a choice to let things upset you or not. "

If a 60% of the venue felt badly about how brackets were done and the fact that it ran late, DO YOU WANT THEM TO SIT AND JUST SAY "Whatever man". TOs job is for the players. If a bunch of people feel that there is something wrong, experiment and change it to see if it works well. ESPECIALLY since this isn't the first complaint.

-Edit: Also, this isnt the old days anymore, and this isnt an old crew. These are new players with different mentality, and popular rule should usually go. (Im not saying it should go in effect now, but see what others who attended the tourney thought.)
Youre way wrong, YOU ARE PAYING MONEY, TO COMPETE FOR MONEY, there is no ifs and or buts about that, no one is stopping you from playing friendlies with ppl at your level, no one is even forcing you to enter singles at the event you can just go and play randoms if you want.

Your analogy fails in comparison, If you dont want to play against michael jordan do you go play at the basketball court hes at? or do u stay at the one by ur house, how do you go to the one where hes winning, and then get mad when u called next and have to play him. it doesnt make sense.

I know you've been trying to put a conscious effort towards getting better, even if it is kinda half-hearted at times, but fact of the matter is, you're using tournaments wrong. Tournaments have 2 purposes like i said b4, to either win them, or to see where u stand in the grand scheme of things so you know what level ur at.

if you want to see how you do amongst ppl of your skill level, host your own tournament, dont let pros enter, ask brian to hold an amateur bracket after singles if you're all willing to stay. But dont try to change the purpose of tournaments for your own sake.

There is a cycle to tourneys, Top players go to make money, Mid level players go to train against top level players, and new players go to train against mid level players. While i agree wit that, its your responsilbilty to find the players u want to play and train against them, it is NOT i repeat 100% NOT the brackets responsibility to set that up for u.

If you still think the seeding is at fault, u might want to quit competition, as long as u are a 4th or worse seed, u will get 1st seeds first round, u dont want to fight m2k 1st round, dont be the worst person at the tourney. its really that simple. as for the mid level players, that get him 2nd or 3rd round same thing applies.

MORAL OF THE STORY IS GET BETTER STOP CRYING.

and plz stop trying to make it personal, or make it veterans vs new players, Im trying to explain to u how tourneys work, not even talking from no johns perspective, this is how tournaments have been since beginning of time, because theyre not about ur personal exp, theyre about adequately showing who the best player present was. and thats not done by catering to players so that they place higher than their actual skill level should indicate. Do ppl sometime get easier/harder brackets? yes but its because the random nature of the system.

let me ask u something, if u played random 1 first round, and played the winner of random 2 vs random 3 who does m2k play first round? hax? or do u just screw over the mid level players instead. i think ur failing to understand that m2k/hax/dj/hbk all actually have to have opponents.

Top Bottom