• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Youre way wrong, YOU ARE PAYING MONEY, TO COMPETE FOR MONEY, there is no ifs and or buts about that, no one is stopping you from playing friendlies with ppl at your level, no one is even forcing you to enter singles at the event you can just go and play randoms if you want.

Your analogy fails in comparison, If you dont want to play against michael jordan do you go play at the basketball court hes at? or do u stay at the one by ur house, how do you go to the one where hes winning, and then get mad when u called next and have to play him. it doesnt make sense.

I know you've been trying to put a conscious effort towards getting better, even if it is kinda half-hearted at times, but fact of the matter is, you're using tournaments wrong. Tournaments have 2 purposes like i said b4, to either win them, or to see where u stand in the grand scheme of things so you know what level ur at.

if you want to see how you do amongst ppl of your skill level, host your own tournament, dont let pros enter, ask brian to hold an amateur bracket after singles if you're all willing to stay. But dont try to change the purpose of tournaments for your own sake.

There is a cycle to tourneys, Top players go to make money, Mid level players go to train against top level players, and new players go to train against mid level players. While i agree wit that, its your responsilbilty to find the players u want to play and train against them, it is NOT i repeat 100% NOT the brackets responsibility to set that up for u.

If you still think the seeding is at fault, u might want to quit competition, as long as u are a 4th or worse seed, u will get 1st seeds first round, u dont want to fight m2k 1st round, dont be the worst person at the tourney. its really that simple. as for the mid level players, that get him 2nd or 3rd round same thing applies.

MORAL OF THE STORY IS GET BETTER STOP CRYING.

and plz stop trying to make it personal, or make it veterans vs new players, Im trying to explain to u how tourneys work, not even talking from no johns perspective, this is how tournaments have been since beginning of time, because theyre not about ur personal exp, theyre about adequately showing who the best player present was. and thats not done by catering to players so that they place higher than their actual skill level should indicate. Do ppl sometime get easier/harder brackets? yes but its because the random nature of the system.

let me ask u something, if u played random 1 first round, and played the winner of random 2 vs random 3 who does m2k play first round? hax? or do u just screw over the mid level players instead. i think ur failing to understand that m2k/hax/dj/hbk all actually have to have opponents.
Yes, what you said in the first paragraph is 100% right, but there is something different in tournament matches that aren't in friendlies that are important. I also never said that Alukard's bracket was wrong(Only at first, then I corrected myself) , but I think that bracket should have some kind of theory like you said " There is a cycle to tourneys, Top players go to make money, Mid level players go to train against top level players, and new players go to train against mid level players. "

The micheal jordan analogy is not what Im trying to say. I dont think it's bad if this happens once, but from recent no johns, there seemed to be a problem everytime or so.

Also regarding the last paragraph; i dont think randoms upon randoms should fight each other in winners, I meant losers. If there was ONE random in a first round losers, that would not be as bad as all.

I honestly want to go with the idea that Slox had; saying that we are on time with everything (Not be late, make sure matches are place), and run POOLS, then bracket if there is 20+ entrants like this one.

-Edit: "I know you've been trying to put a conscious effort towards getting better, even if it is kinda half-hearted at times," Why was that added? The way I train has nothing to do with this.

Benteezy

Smash Rookie
because u said ur not learning anything from having a tough bracket, training is for learning, theres the relationship.

Speaking from personal opinion now not stating that any of the following is fact in anyway:

i think pools is a waste of time at an event where u have enough info to seed the players accurately, it just takes super long (because its usually of the round robin variety) and the only positive outcome of it is that people that wouldve otherwise gone 0-2 feel they played more matches for their moneys worth. I got to no johns super late and as a result didnt enter because i hadnt played at all and didnt want to just lose due to tech skill. but i still played a 3/5 wit m2k and 3/5 wit swift and 3/5 wit mark because i had made it a point earlier in the week that i was going to play those players. I think if you have pools its just less time where tvs are available for friendlies and u cant play the ppl u want to play and practice/learn what u want to practice or learn. anyways i feel like im just repeating myself over and over but smashers need to be more proactive wit their learning and training and not just think oh i beat my so and so rival in tourney i must be getting better! when they could be leveling up way faster if they just looked at what they could do instead of what TOs could do for them.

anyways this is my last post ima make on the subject, starting to feel like its kinda falling on deaf ears, If you all just get better, u wont have to worry about who u face in bracket cuz ull just win anyways, i only entered singles twice last year a random sudden death and ROM and both times i had hilarious brackets (at rom i had Vist > KK > Nando LMAO) u just gotta play ur matches and try ur hardest. If u actually want advice on how to go about getting better, ive already posted in the nyc ssbm facebook group that im willing to help anyone so just msg me on fb, with questions or wit videos that u want advice on. cant wait till next no johns!

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
because u said ur not learning anything from having a tough bracket, training is for learning, theres the relationship.

Speaking from personal opinion now not stating that any of the following is fact in anyway:

i think pools is a waste of time at an event where u have enough info to seed the players accurately, it just takes super long (because its usually of the round robin variety) and the only positive outcome of it is that people that wouldve otherwise gone 0-2 feel they played more matches for their moneys worth. I got to no johns super late and as a result didnt enter because i hadnt played at all and didnt want to just lose due to tech skill. but i still played a 3/5 wit m2k and 3/5 wit swift and 3/5 wit mark because i had made it a point earlier in the week that i was going to play those players. I think if you have pools its just less time where tvs are available for friendlies and u cant play the ppl u want to play and practice/learn what u want to practice or learn. anyways i feel like im just repeating myself over and over but smashers need to be more proactive wit their learning and training and not just think oh i beat my so and so rival in tourney i must be getting better! when they could be leveling up way faster if they just looked at what they could do instead of what TOs could do for them.

anyways this is my last post ima make on the subject, starting to feel like its kinda falling on deaf ears, If you all just get better, u wont have to worry about who u face in bracket cuz ull just win anyways, i only entered singles twice last year a random sudden death and ROM and both times i had hilarious brackets (at rom i had Vist > KK > Nando LMAO) u just gotta play ur matches and try ur hardest. If u actually want advice on how to go about getting better, ive already posted in the nyc ssbm facebook group that im willing to help anyone so just msg me on fb, with questions or wit videos that u want advice on. cant wait till next no johns!
I think I might have just said that I would learn better in the way Slox suggested. Either ways, I generally get what you are saying. We just have 2 different views on how tournaments should be run, and in the end its up to Alukard to consider if he wants to change it or not. Like you said, can't wait for the next no johns either!

Benteezy

Smash Rookie
I can go to this, not sure if the disc i have works on the gamecube but i can bring a wii. I also may be able to bring a recording setup for livestream purposes.

Why do you NEED a cube?
u dont need a cube, u can bring a wii too. either is fine. recording setups are always nice

I gotta hit up Eggm or something but yea, I definitely wanna go.

You should teach me Marvel after we play like iunno, some amount of melee Benny.
haha at this last no johns i wound up just playing marvel cuz got their so late all the tvs were tourney and then when that was done everyone left cuz it was so late waiting for my car :( but im down to play anything!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Phuket,
Thailand :troll:

If you enter a tournament you take a risk of getting bracket pooped on. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. If your really good enough chances are you'll at least progress three rounds combined(winners and/or losers). Seed only the top 4 to make it an interesting tournament. For everyone else, prove your top 4 material.

P.S. I hope to bring a mean Samus/Falcon at the next tourney.

Alukard

Smash Hero
you guys have to understand that i have no hate or bias for any of you ... i literally just seperate top 4 and friends that play often as best as i can... theres alot to brackets then many of you think ... so please ... MAN THE **** UP ... slox is proving his worth i know the rest of you can as well ... does my marth have to come out of retirement to lay down some pelas?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Alukard:

seeds bracket perfectly to everyone's liking

wins his own tournament

Hobo4rizzle

Smash Rookie
I might try and make it to this as my first Melee tournament ever. I'm just kinda nervous to come and get **** on by everyone. I've only been playing Melee for a month or two.

Tiny152

Smash Rookie
I'm in the same boat as you. This isn't a far drive and I'm thinking this may be my first tournament too. I haven't played melee in months and I don't even own a GC, but **** it. Got to start somewhere

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
^ It's cool to see new smashers that are older than me!

I agree with what he said. You have to begin somewhere!

Also, I might come to this on March 2nd. My Brawl friend is coming to the Rescue tourney like 5 minutes away, but if he doesn't go with us, we're going to this!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I might try and make it to this as my first Melee tournament ever. I'm just kinda nervous to come and get **** on by everyone. I've only been playing Melee for a month or two.
Not to discourage you from attending No Johns, but you should check out this tournament out in Mastic Beach I think it is:

http://smashboards.com/threads/333178/

I noticed you were from Long Island. No Johns normally has larger turnouts though.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Alukard:

seeds bracket perfectly to everyone's liking

wins his own tournament
I would approve of this msg.

almost want to make a scumbag alukard meme.
LMAOOOO EFF YA!! -___- ... seriously though ... i'm excited to see this turn out because there were some serious upsets last time and almost a huge one from slox! so lets go people spread the word and lets get this event hype!

Hobo4rizzle

Smash Rookie
Not to discourage you from attending No Johns, but you should check out this tournament out in Mastic Beach I think it is:

http://smashboards.com/threads/333178/

I noticed you were from Long Island. No Johns normally has larger turnouts though.
Yeah I saw that but I'm currently in school in PA. I'll be in NY for break the first week of March so I'm trying to hit up a tournament then.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Hello. I may be attending with some other guys from PA. If I can't get a carpool it won't happen. I'd like to team. I'll go Fox/Sheik.
I'll post back as soon as I know what's going on. Haven't been to one of these in 2 years.

Alukard

Smash Hero
lets get this ball rolling people ... EVO is happening!!! I am going to EVO so are alot of people in nyc! Lets step it up and show up to these locals !! I am going to do a side event at this tournament too! EXHIBITION MATCHES!! I will update you guys Further soon!

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
^ I usually like to keep to myself and trying to do better in school and life in general so my smash career isn't that great but whoever you are, you better be at No Johns.

WTH we can like comments now? Lol.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Yep! It's confirmed. I'm going! No Johns, here I come!

Also, since my friend can't come, I need a teammate. Anyone wanna team with me? I can be ur "Level 9 Luigi"! PM me if u want to!

Also, are there discounts for setups?

And stream account?

Top Bottom