• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
List of cool people in Kefit's rental car to Karajan's Thursday night Smashfest:

1) Kefit
2) Jel
3) Clubbadubba
4) Dext3r
5) OPEN SEAT

Who's gonna get the last spot?
Me! I'm going to get the last spot! Did you get my PM? When is the train leaving?

Metà

Smash Master
i can't base much off one game, let alone a 2 minute game where the opponent isn't using their main

that said, i'm super hyped for 64. moreso as a spectator than a competitor, but i entered because i think the top 64 players deserve my money lmao

looking forward to getting stomped!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Pool 3 might be the one to be in, boom/banze/kefit beats jaime/moyashi IMO. 3 + 4 are defs not as brutal as 1 and 2 tho

Ima laugh my ass off if killer beats ruoka

Shears

Smash Master
Attention all pool 4 competitors, I have dibs on blue hat pikachu. Anyone trying to argue this will be found in contempt of dibs and subject to match disqualification.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Wow I'm so excited seeing some of the matches that are to be played. I'm really curious about some of them, like jam-kero or ruoka-killer to name a few.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone remember where mixa's thread went that had the results of all the Japanese tournaments? And is there a similar thread or source that summarizes the most recent winners of the major North American tournaments?

Trying to get ready for commentary by putting some notes together but have limited time. If anyone has any other cool tibdits about players, background, whatever that would be good to mention in between matches let me know.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Top seeds by pool:

POOL 1:
Isai
Dext3r
Merihim
Star King
YBOMBB

POOL 2:
Ruoka Dancho
Mariguas
Sensei
SheerMadness
Killer

POOL 3:
Moyashi
JaimeHR
KeroKeroppi
Fireblaster
Near/Nintendude

POOL 4:
Boom
Kefit
Banze
Firo
greginator

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
pool three does seem somewhat weak compared to the others, and damn i pity the fool in pool 1!

edit: just looked at the bracket again and we could very well see RockinRudy face off against Boom early xD
who else is hyped for this match up?

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Pool 1 is a death sentence.
Pool 2 is a torture not death.
Pool 3 is top heavy.
Pool 4 is sensible.

Its agreed how heavy pool 1 is. Pool 2 is like pool 1 except without the depth. Pool 3 doesn't have depth and its top heavy competitors aren't at the same level as the top of the other pools. Pool 4 seems like a big local tournament. Its got legitimate top players, talented and competitive middle players, and some guys at that bottom that are the average smasher. Pool 4 isn't like 1 or 2 but its got a better blend than pool 3. Opinions?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Pool 1 is a death sentence.
Pool 2 is a torture not death.
Pool 3 is top heavy.
Pool 4 is sensible.

Its agreed how heavy pool 1 is. Pool 2 is like pool 1 except without the depth. Pool 3 doesn't have depth and its top heavy competitors aren't at the same level as the top of the other pools. Pool 4 seems like a big local tournament. Its got legitimate top players, talented and competitive middle players, and some guys at that bottom that are the average smasher. Pool 4 isn't like 1 or 2 but its got a better blend than pool 3. Opinions?
thats a fair assessment.

Sangoku

Smash Master
By the way, do the Japanese players know that there are controller adapters? I wonder how they will react if they see Killer using his keyboard Kirby lol.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I don't think 3 is top heavy. Moyashi = boom and kefit = jaime IMO (from a seeding perspective that is, not saying they're completely equal)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Student from Pool 1 Switched with justin in Pool 4
Star King from Pool 1 Switch with viCE in Pool 4

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Hey even though I face banze early on if I lose I can still win a couple games in losers before I face Kefit/Firo/banze again.

Student from Pool 1 Switched with justin in Pool 4
Star King from Pool 1 Switch with viCE in Pool 4
Nevermind. Gonna post my thoughts on the brackets in a bit. Overall it seems pretty even, though with the recent switch of SK 4 is definitely not the easiest.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i mean there will always be debate over which pool is weaker/stronger but i think overall it was seeded/balanced pretty well

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Here is my analysis of which pools are toughest. I broke each pool into fourths to make it easier to gauge and take into account the structure of the bracket. The number of the quartile below is the quarter of the bracket when physically reading it from top to bottom (ie. first quartile is on top, 4th on bottom). The number next to the quartile is a rank from 1-16 (16 is hardest) and the pool number has these added up.

Pool 1 - Total difficulty: 35
  • First quartile - 16
    • Isai, tacos, Stranded, Revan
  • Second quartile - 1
    • Han Solo
  • Third quartile - 14
    • YBOMBB, Bushido, Merihim
  • Fourth quartile - 4
    • Dexter, JimmyJoe
Pool 2 - Total difficulty: 35
  • First quartile - 13
    • Ruoka, Killer
  • Second quartile - 3
    • Sheer
  • Third quartile - 11
    • Mariguas, *** Vwls
  • Fourth quartile - 8
    • Sensei, Pete, clubba, Caesar
Pool 3 - Total difficulty: 33
  • First quartile - 12
    • Moyashi, Jel, Koro
  • Second quartile - 2
    • Fire, Nintendude
  • Third quartile - 10
    • JaimeHR
  • Fourth quartile - 9
    • Kero, Near
Pool 4 - Total difficulty: 33
  • First quartile - 15
    • Boom, SK
  • Second quartile - 7
    • Greginator, Banze
  • Third quartile - 6
    • Kefit, Wizzy
  • Fourth quartile - 5
    • Firo, cobr
I didn't do any of the addition until the very end and lo and behold it came out about as even as can be (from a pool basis). Who woulda thought.

Note: this includes SK being switch from Pool 1 to Pool 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom